Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

New SV Gassers

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 07:11 PM
freeonthree
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: New SV Gassers

Can you give me a numbers comparision, like 2 props, same static rpm, but one producing more thrust, I mean, if it's less than a pound, I probably wouldn't even notice it on my 15 lb Stearman. Im guessing here... But if the difference was like 3 lbs of thrust, that would be noticeable.
Old 02-19-2008, 07:39 PM
rfmullig

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On your Stearman you might not even notice the difference. Furthermore, if you are happy with the way it flies then clearly there is no issue. Based on what I saw on your youtube videos, it flies great. That is a really nice plane.

I worry about every possible oz. of thrust that I can acquire. Flying the sukhoi and hoping for 3D capability requires me to search for every bit of extra power I can muster. 3D and precision aerobatic fliers give an entire new meaning to anal retentive when it comes to prop efficiency. I know.... We need serious help.

BTW: Your videos on youtube helped a ton. THANKS!!!! I will try to reciprocate with videos of my XY50cc.

Rob
Old 02-19-2008, 08:50 PM
freeonthree

Cool, looking forward to seeing them.
Im not into doing to many stunts or any 3D stuff. My main joy is landing really. I just keep taking off and landing over and over again. When I can grease (no bounce) absolutely every landing in, then I will move on to learning how to do knife edges and stuff. I have had terrible luck in the past fooling around, for instance, I went thru a desire to learn inverted flight, but for some reason, sooner or later is always led to drilling one into the ground, so I learned my lesson. Oh, I do the occassional hammerhead, loop, and roll, but mainly I just fly around and land alot. I know, im weird, but I have fun, and thats all the really matters.
Old 02-19-2008, 10:31 PM
jstanton
My Feedback: (14)

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

Well guys here is the video that my friend Bob took last weekend of the maiden flight of the Stinson. I am using a APC 17x8 prop and the SV-26 is spinning if at 7500RPM. Th idle is good at 1500RPM. The plane weigh's 12lbs 12oz. and the wing loading is 33.5oz. I fly the plane around at half throotl most of the time. I love this plane with this engine combo.

http://www.rcuvideos.com/item/M5J3CR7YNC23J29R
Old 02-19-2008, 11:29 PM
freeonthree

Looks good, but the video kept hangin up. I hate that !
Old 02-20-2008, 07:37 AM
jstanton

I just checked the video and it runs fine from my site. Maybe there was a problem at the time you tried watching it.
Old 02-20-2008, 07:50 AM
rfmullig

The video ran great for me. Nice job on the plane and flight.
Rob
Old 02-20-2008, 12:11 PM
freeonthree

Well, it started doing it all the time, so I did a hard core system recovery last night. Problem gone, along with everything else. lol
Old 02-20-2008, 12:44 PM
jstanton

Dennis,

Are you saying you lost everything on your computer. Boy, I hate that when that happens!
Old 02-20-2008, 01:57 PM
freeonthree

Yes, thats what im saying. I had to do it again this morning too. Last night after the recovery, I downloaded windows updates to get service pack 2 so the small wonder video camera will work, and the updates made videos jerky again. I just recovered again, but this time im not taking any of windows updates, period. I can live without the video camera. I like the lightening speed I have without the updates, and video's never jerk or have to re-buffer. No more windows updates for me. I bet most of em are spyware anyway. lol I've run 6 months without any updates before, and always regret it when I install them, as my poor old HP310N just cant carry the load. This maching is 6 years old now, and I plan on using it another 6. lol
Old 02-20-2008, 10:50 PM
freeonthree

Im not having a good day at all. One of the mounting ears broke off my SV26 from the vibration I suppose. Thats 2 engines out of 3 purchased that are broken now. Dennis
Old 02-20-2008, 11:01 PM
jstanton

This is not good news. I will keep a watch on my SV-26.[&o]
Old 02-20-2008, 11:35 PM
freeonthree

Yep, 2 broke out of 3 is not a good record. All the mounts are still tight, so I can't imagine why that ear broke. Here's a pic...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay74949.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	134.0 KB
ID:	884443  
Old 02-20-2008, 11:56 PM
freeonthree

Just got off the phone with Ami at Hobby City. Apparently the bad castings were not just limited to some of the 50"s, but some of the 26's as well. Anyway, they have a shipment of better quality cast pieces on the way to them, and they will send em out as soon as they get them. I feel better already... If the new one's hold up, I guess we'll be happy again. lol
Old 02-21-2008, 03:46 AM
NM2K

ORIGINAL: jstanton

I just checked the video and it runs fine from my site. Maybe there was a problem at the time you tried watching it.

--------------

It ran fine on my machine too.

If one is running other programs while watching a video, they can cause hang-ups, etc.

That looks really nice, Jim. You seem to have the same luck that I have in choosing models. As soon as I finally decide to buy one, they discontinue the model. I fooled them this time, I bought two of the Giant Aeromasters and paid less than I would have when they were at their peak in sales.

Ed Cregger
Old 02-21-2008, 04:23 AM
freeonthree

I just watched the whole thing finally. Sounds like your a bit fat on the bottom Jim. It sure pulls that Stinson well. Did I see hear that right ? Did the engine die after you landed, or did it just sound like that to me as the video ended ? She sure fly's nice ! Great job !
So far, my puter is running better. I still need to download sp2, so I gettin kinda nervous, but the small wonder video camera won't upload to the computer without it, so here goes. I hope you guys here from me again real soon. lol In the past, windows updates has been like brakes on this HP310N. Wish me luck ! lol
Old 02-21-2008, 07:27 AM
jstanton

Yep she did die as I landed on that flight. I flew 3 more times that day and she never quit again so I don't really know what happened on the first flight. She is a little rich on the low end, but I had to do that to keep the idle down to 1500RPM. I might lean it out just a little bit to get the idle back up to near 2000RPM. The engine does not vidrate as much at 2000RPM as it does at 1500RPM. With the case mounts breaking I am kinda neveous that mine might break also. I think with the idle being smoother at 2000 I fell there will be less change od the mounts breaking
Old 02-21-2008, 07:44 AM
jstanton

Ed,

It looks like that is the way I do things. I like to see how a planes ratings are on RC Universe than I deside to get one. Than within a couple on months they discontinue the model. I have the Giant Aeromaster also and I love that plane. I too have another Aeromaster still in the box. I am thinking of using the FTL45 on it for power.
Old 02-21-2008, 12:53 PM
freeonthree

Did you plug the hole on the throttle butterfly yet ? There's also a small cutout on the outer edge of the butterfly, and if that wasn't there, we could kill the engines with our throttle trim. I plugged my hole with epoxy. I put a small drop on each side of the little hole, and stuck a pin in the hole to make sure both sides contact each other, and so far, it's still there.
Old 02-21-2008, 02:14 PM
jstanton

Dennis,

I did excalty as you did with the little hole on the flywheel of the throttle. There is a smal cut out on the fly wheel and I left that alone. The engine is idling very wheel now and I use an electric cut off switch to cut the SV-26 down. I did notice how much smoother the idle is at 2000 rpn over 1500rpm. With theproblem of the case mounts braking I am going to increase thew idle up a little for a smoother idle.
Old 02-21-2008, 02:30 PM
freeonthree

Mine idles at about 1100 rpm now since I leaned it to stop 4 cycleing. I do have to warm it up for about a minute or two, playing with the throttle before it will transition, but it sounds alot better in the air. It's a toss up between less warm up or less 4 cycleing.
Old 02-21-2008, 03:31 PM
rfmullig

I am waiting for my XYZ 50cc to arrive. I really hope that these issues do not happen with the xyz engines too.
R
Old 02-21-2008, 03:52 PM
freeonthree

Nah, the XYZ has a CNC'ed case. The mounting should be fine. As far as the other small issues of the SV26, they just make ownership more interesting in the beginning. Next to the ears breaking off, the cheap muffler was the worse part. The no choke, and hole on the butterfly is an easy fix, and so was setting the timing correctly. Were ordering an FLT 45 today so Greg can get his clipped wing monocoupe in the air. I probably could have kept flying on 3 ears while I wait for my new case, but I chose not to risk it, and tore the engine down instead.
Hopeing to have the new rear case within 30 days.
Old 02-23-2008, 12:26 AM
sean sutherland
My Feedback: (2)

This is my Sukhoi 69" by ESM its had a 108 ASP (which should stand for get rid of it ASAP) and a OS 90 AX which i need for my Katana 70 profile so i needed cheap reliable power and after the last two batches of glow fuel went off on me ( not before destroying a few glow pugs), i decided to go gas with it ! Its a GRpro 26cc awesome and i have only run one tank thru it, and it had a slight miss at full noise but i wound the timing back a degree hopefully it will be enough, Freeonthree thanks for your comments this threads been great and i do believe your ear broke due to a very low idle but its a case of whatever blows your hair back and this things good enough for me!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk27540.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	886039   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr50876.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	886040  
Old 02-23-2008, 01:16 AM
freeonthree

I bet that plane gets with the program ! Lots of throws I see...
I think you may be right about the low idle aiding in the break, but had they designed it using a plate for a mount, that could never happen. I have a new case on the way for my SV26 and one for Gregs SV50, and for the time being, mine is flyin fine again now. Went earlier today, and had a royal balst. It was just windy enough to make it interesting. Oh, and im running 1500 rpm for my idle now, much smoother... Now I wanna install a tx operated ign kill system.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.