Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Whoa! 50CC for $220?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 11:44 AM
dmcmike
My Feedback: (14)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whoa! 50CC for $220?

I'm sure somebody has seen this [link=http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=5732]50CC for $220[/link]. They've got some other gas stuff for cheap too. I know, ya gets what ya paid for, but for us 'bore holes in the sky' guys, I sure do like the price. If they perform at all they might be worth looking into. So... who's gonna be the Guinea Pig?

Old 12-27-2007, 11:55 AM
Al Lewis
Banned

Default RE: Whoa! 50CC for $220?

Seen them. They have about the same power as a SPE 40 and may not be available for long. Parts may also not be available. Word is that this is TomyRCmodels latest endeavor and that the people building the parts aren't going to provide him with anymore.
From Mitsu1: I have been told by a certain individual, who claims to be in the know .... That absolutely under NO circumstances will United Hobby ever have anymore SV engines. This person guaranteed me this ... so its been almost like a game for me, as I go the UH everyday a look to see if the backordered SV engines are ever going to be filled? If they never get the backorders filled, and they never take anymore new orders I will have complete confidence in everything else this person tells me.
I can't confirm that but you can check with the people that know, or claim to, in the SV gassers thread. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_64...mpage_4/tm.htm

If you look at the stock availability block on the website they are minus numbers and have been for quite some time, as are most of the items listed under gas engines.
Old 12-28-2007, 01:17 PM
Mitsu1
My Feedback: (13)

The person who gave me that info guaranteed me the UH would not get anymore SV engines ... alas, but I must inform any that are keeping up with this that UH has received at least 2 restocking of the engines since this was originally written. Once, they filled all their backorders and had an in stock inventory, and the second time they filled the backorders and continued taking new orders. So, ... I "had" almost total confidence in what the guy told me. He was someone that "should" have been in-the-know, ... but I don't know what to believe now concerning the future of these engines. If you can get one at that price .... I'd probably try it!
Old 12-28-2007, 02:24 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Be careful here. Buying an engine that may not later have parts support can be quite a problem. I know because I have an engine from another manufacturer that apparently will not be able to provide parts in the future. Essentially it became a "$1,200.00 throw away" 12 months after making the buy. That does not leave you with a good feeling after the fact.

Tomy has been trying to make inroads with the American market for the last three years but I have no idea of his level of success. A low purchase price may be the only benefit you receive from the deal. As a footnote, if a 50cc engine equals the power of a 40 you would be better off buying the 40 rather than dinking around with the engine forever trying to get more out of it.
Old 12-28-2007, 04:20 PM
av8tor1977
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My point of view is that the bearings and seals are almost always off the shelf parts that one can find from another source. New rings can easily be custom made by Frank Bowman, and provide more power anyway. Gaskets can be home made. As for the carb, you can buy Walbros almost anywhere. So that leaves the crank, cylinders, and pistons. With any care at all, these should last indefinitely in model use. The only problem would perhaps be crash damage to the crankcase or other critical part.

If I can scrape together the bucks, and if they have them in stock, I'm going to order one of those $439.00 100cc twins.

In my humble opinion, there is no earthly reason why engines should cost what they do here in the American market. You can buy a complete chain saw for less than half the price of a "model" engine, and most of them are either copies, or modifications of these commercial engines anyway....

Just my opinion,
AV8TOR
Old 12-28-2007, 04:25 PM
Tired Old Man

Depends an awful lot on who made the cranks, cases, pistons, and cylinders. Want to royally screw up a two stroke? Just cast a cylinder with lousy porting. You will spend a lot more, waaay more, than the original engine cost in replacement cylinders while you play trail and error with the porting. Many of the aftermarket engines are made entirely by the aftermarket manufacturer and don't use off the shelf parts in these areas.
Old 12-28-2007, 04:32 PM
Panzlflyer
My Feedback: (15)

You can buy a complete chain saw for less than half the price of a "model" engine
Not a Komastsu, or any chainsaw worth commercially using, add on prop hub, warranty work, electronic ignition and dealing with a bunch of guys who dont know how to use oil or needles.

Keep right on supporting the worthless and it will be the only stuff you can buy[:@]
Old 12-28-2007, 04:39 PM
Jake Ruddy
My Feedback: (40)

ORIGINAL: av8tor1977

My point of view is that the bearings and seals are almost always off the shelf parts that one can find from another source. New rings can easily be custom made by Frank Bowman, and provide more power anyway. Gaskets can be home made. As for the carb, you can buy Walbros almost anywhere. So that leaves the crank, cylinders, and pistons. With any care at all, these should last indefinitely in model use. The only problem would perhaps be crash damage to the crankcase or other critical part.

If I can scrape together the bucks, and if they have them in stock, I'm going to order one of those $439.00 100cc twins.

In my humble opinion, there is no earthly reason why engines should cost what they do here in the American market. You can buy a complete chain saw for less than half the price of a "model" engine, and most of them are either copies, or modifications of these commercial engines anyway....

Just my opinion,
AV8TOR
Why spend that money on a 100 twin that weighs more and has a lot less power than any single 80 on the market? You could pick up a used ZDZ 80 often for $450-550 in the buy and sell section and have a better made, more powerful engine. A ZDZ 80 is pretty smooth as far as vibration and will be close to the levels of that 100. I think you would be happier in the long run.

Old 12-28-2007, 04:44 PM
Al Lewis
Banned

It's the blue anodize, TomyRCmodels gets them with it everytime. Remember the 60s??? If it don't go, chrome it!!!!
Old 12-28-2007, 06:08 PM
Tired Old Man

I hear ya, loud and clear! I remember the saying much to well and still use it today I had an opportunity (invitation?) to become an importer of the noted engine line a few years ago. I still believe in quality over quantity.
Old 12-30-2007, 12:26 AM
Mitsu1

Hobbycity just got a load of SV engines in again. 21 of the 100cc twins for $439, and 19 of the 50cc for $219. Don't look like they are having any problems getting as many of these as they need ...
Old 12-30-2007, 12:35 AM
Al Lewis
Banned

Well you were the only one that said they couldn't get anymore. I have another insight that keeps me away from them.
Old 12-30-2007, 01:08 AM
Mitsu1

Yep, and I was assured there was no way they'd ever be able to get anymore. I don't want to harrm the person who told me this, so I won't name him, but he is someone that "should" be in position to know. Anyways, .... I really can't say at that price that I could ignore it, if I were in the market. Exactly one year ago, I bought a really terrific Chinese made Venom 45cc engine, and was happy to pay the low low price of $300 to get it. Now, today I can buy a very similar 45cc for $175 and a 50cc for $209 from HC. If I were looking for engines in this displacement, and budget concious ..... I think my decision would be easy.
Old 12-31-2007, 02:00 AM
mistydee0
My Feedback: (103)

Silversurfer, You are misinformed!!!!! These enginges are not engines from Tomy R/C. I will PM you.

Larry
LS PRO ENGINES

AIRBORN RANGER
Old 12-31-2007, 06:43 AM
RC Extreme power
My Feedback: (24)

Hi Larry
Hope you are doing good and have a happy and Prosper New Year.

I wanted to post something about this earlier but did not want to step on any toes.

Milton

ORIGINAL: mistydee0

Silversurfer, You are misinformed!!!!! These enginges are not engines from Tomy R/C. I will PM you.

Larry
LS PRO ENGINES

AIRBORN RANGER
Old 12-31-2007, 07:51 AM
jstanton
My Feedback: (14)

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

Well has anyoone got one of these 50cc engines? I have the SV-26 and I have found it to be a good running engine. Notice I said good not great. The engine ran right out of the box with no adjustsments and is spinning a APC 16x8 prop at 8200 RPM. The carb does not have a choke so you have to use your finger or something to choke the engine to get it to carb primed. The carb is also a little small. It is a 8mm carb and I plan on changing it out to a Walbro WT-644 like the Zenoah uses. The Zenoah G-26 will spin a 16x8 prop near 9000.

I bet the SV-50 also comes with a carb that is a little small. If it does change it out to a Walbro WT-201 like the DA uses and that should help with the power. That would still keep the price of the engine well under $300.00. Just my thoughts on the subect.
Old 12-31-2007, 08:12 PM
Mitsu1

ORIGINAL: mistydee0

Larry
LS PRO ENGINES

AIRBORN RANGER
I started to correct him on the engine I.D. as well, .. but didn't want to come off as the forum police!