Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

RCGF Engines

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 07:24 AM
ghitt
My Feedback: (45)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: RCGF Engines

Dave, forgot to ask while I had you on the phone yesterday. Would you or anybody else have the mounting template for the 15cc engine in PDF format? Can't find it on the manufactures web site.
Old 01-26-2010, 12:11 PM
yearnin to Fly
My Feedback: (52)

ORIGINAL: ghitt

Dave, forgot to ask while I had you on the phone yesterday. Would you or anybody else have the mounting template for the 15cc engine in PDF format? Can't find it on the manufactures web site.
Yes here is the mounting template in a pdf file, THANKS!!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Bz78211.pdf (251.2 KB, 114 views)
Old 01-26-2010, 02:44 PM
perche

ORIGINAL: ghitt

This thread has bounced around so much to different RCGF engines.

Back to the 15CC model. Has anyone that has had trouble with the standoffs getting in the way of carb adjustments tried rotating the carb 180 degrees?

Also, has anyone found a wrap around pitts muffler for this engine. Or a muffler extension for it.

Take a good look at the standoffs...one is thinner...
Old 01-26-2010, 04:52 PM
Mr.FiberOptic

and you didn't mention the bolts are to short. unless the standoffs are threaded at both ends to accept bolts from the firewall end.
Old 01-26-2010, 05:51 PM
djsdog

How much for the 15 cc from you and how much to ship to 43824 (ohio).

Also, how much for the pitts mufler WOW this looks like a good setup!

What would this engine be directly compaired power wise to in the Saito line?
Old 01-26-2010, 06:28 PM
yearnin to Fly

ORIGINAL: Mr.FiberOptic

and you didn't mention the bolts are to short. unless the standoffs are threaded at both ends to accept bolts from the firewall end.
The standoffs are threaded from both ends. The bolts that come with the engines are long enough to go through the firewall and have room for fender washers.

I fly my new style 15cc everyday I get a chance, and it seems to run better the more it breaks in. I love being able to fly ALL day on a quart of gas!!!
Old 01-26-2010, 09:49 PM
dave de
My Feedback: (12)

aussiesteve, I have a rcgf 45cc & I bought a dave brown spinner. The spinner back plate doesnt fit the thrust plate...its off just enough where I cant get the screws in.....have you heard anything about this....dave de
Old 01-26-2010, 10:06 PM
aussiesteve

ORIGINAL: dave de

aussiesteve, I have a rcgf 45cc & I bought a dave brown spinner. The spinner back plate doesnt fit the thrust plate...its off just enough where I cant get the screws in.....have you heard anything about this....dave de
Hi Dave
No, I haven't heard anything about this but I also haven't purchased any new 45's for a couple of months. It is highly likely that the factory has slipped a change of bolt pattern through without notifying the dealers of the changes. Is is possible that the PCD of the bolt pattern is now about 1mm larger? If so, it may be the same pattern as DA/DL now.

Previously the Dave Brown spinners have fitted fine.
Old 01-30-2010, 10:43 AM
SkyPilot101

My first gasser, 20cc, arrived from TBM the other day & some questions

1st, after a little cleaning & oiling, I began to turn her over by hand, and I see the top ring catches the top of the exaust port a little (sometimes) the port does not look camfered along its top edge

2nd, the muffler port is obviously smaller than the exhaust port in the cylinder (undersized along its length) opening the port up to match the exhaust does not look like an option because the mounting tubes that pass through the muffler are directly adjacent to the port opening.

My first thought on the ring catching the port was to take jewelers file & camfer the port slightly, but since these are liner-less cylinders I don't know if this is a good idea, the mis-match on the muffler looks like I'll have to live with.

Any thoughts or suggestions???? Mike.
Old 01-30-2010, 11:10 AM
yearnin to Fly

ORIGINAL: SkyPilot101

My first gasser, 20cc, arrived from TBM the other day & some questions

1st, after a little cleaning & oiling, I began to turn her over by hand, and I see the top ring catches the top of the exaust port a little (sometimes) the port does not look camfered along its top edge

2nd, the muffler port is obviously smaller than the exhaust port in the cylinder (undersized along its length) opening the port up to match the exhaust does not look like an option because the mounting tubes that pass through the muffler are directly adjacent to the port opening.

My first thought on the ring catching the port was to take jewelers file & camfer the port slightly, but since these are liner-less cylinders I don't know if this is a good idea, the mis-match on the muffler looks like I'll have to live with.

Any thoughts or suggestions???? Mike.
Hi Mike, Could you tell me if you have the 20cc side carb or the rear carb, 20cc RCGF engine. I repair, rebuild and do my own service work on the RCGF engines I sell, and I want to go take a closer look at one of My RCGF new engines, and see if I can help.
Call me if you want. 618-566-4102
Old 01-30-2010, 11:11 AM
SkyPilot101

Rear Carb. Mike
Old 01-30-2010, 12:02 PM
yearnin to Fly

Rear Carb. Mike
Mike I went and measured the exhoust port on one of the 20cc rear carb rcgf engines I have here, and the engine side is 17mm wide by 9mm high, the muffler I have for it the inside measurments of it are about 1 to 2 mm's bigger. TBM may have shipped you the wrong muffler by mistake.

As far as the ring catching the port, If you do any filing, It may void your warranty.

If I can be of service let me know.
Old 01-30-2010, 12:54 PM
FOOPED
My Feedback: (8)

Skypilot1 I will check mine and get back to you as my engine came from Henry. The ring catching on the exhaust port is not a good thing. That could bust the ring and then you have a junked mortor. I would return it and let TBM take care of it.
Old 01-30-2010, 01:22 PM
AJsToyz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the piston is in 180 degree's off it can catch the exhaust port.

Andy
Old 01-30-2010, 03:31 PM
SkyPilot101

TBM is selling these as Aerovate, I thought these problems were clear of that flavor???

http://www.troybuiltmodels.com/items/AEROVATE20R.html

But like I said in the first post (4676) the ring catch is slight and intermittent when turning the engine over by hand by the prop hub, I think a little polish with 600 grit will take care of it.

The muffler port on the cylinder measures 21/32, the muffler itself is at 20/32, so it's really only 1/32 smaller, and would not really be a problem to match, it looked smaller than that!

The gasket, on the other hand looks like a kindergardener cut it out with a pair of safety scissors, A real joke! But again, insignificant.

Over my lifetime, I've had my fingers in an array of engines, from automotive V-8's to Motocross two strokes, outboards, and of corse glow two & four strokes. Compared to what I've learned, this puppy is a little crude. Just my observation.
Old 01-31-2010, 12:06 AM
Bob Paris
My Feedback: (13)

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Hi Guys,
I just bought a RCG 26 from HobbyKing for $178.00 delivered to Hawaii by EMS ($138.00 + shipping and handling). I sure looks like its the same engine you have spoken about in this forum. This is my first gas engine...I bought it on Thursday, and it arrived six day's later. It came in a white box and came with a muffler, engine stand-offs, an electronic ignition unit, spark plug and assorted goodies for the engine. It looks like it has a cast crank case with machined prop shaft with electronic pick-ups. The instructions for engine operation come on a one page instruction sheet, typed out on both sides. The engine appears to be well made, complete and packaged very well for shipping.

My question at this point...is this a RCGF engine...or a cheap knockoff you guys have been talking about in this thread.

The instructions tell you to mount the engine for testing with shock mounts, if mounted on a test stand. I always just mounted my glow engines directly onto a test stand...so what is this guy talking about ? I planned on bench running this engine prior to installing it in my F6F...and using a 17x8 prop for break-in and running. I was considering using a three bladed prop for flying after the engine is properly broken in. What size three bladed prop would you experienced folks suggest I use. I always used Colman fuel (white gas) on my weed eaters with synthetic oil...does this work for ok for this gas engine too ?

Please excuse my questions, for I'm new to gas engines and I don't want to damage this gas engine on break-in. I also ask for your patience, for this is one very long thread to read fully and comprehend.

Thanks for any information...
Soft Landings Always,
Bobby of Maui
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu59435.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	106.1 KB
ID:	1368469   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf98460.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	104.3 KB
ID:	1368470   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nk27771.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	1368471   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig12310.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	1368472   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz77900.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	1368473  
Old 01-31-2010, 12:55 AM
barry wetherell

Bob, I have been contemplating this engine for some time, on Hobby King's site, to put into a W.whirlwind ( x 2 ), money has got a bit tight so I haven't proceeded with build yet.
It is strange that the Cyl jacket has not been given a "tag", otherwise, it looks like a good unit, it will be interesting to see some results and points of views, dam nice price too.
good stuff
A.A.Barry
Old 01-31-2010, 02:58 AM
fhm555

I don't know about recently, but a few months back I was reading about the engines from Hobby King having problems with too much runout on the crank. Speculation ranged from bent crank to bad bore job on the cases if I remember right. There was also no official reply from Hobby King but it seemed there were as many stories about having a hard time getting getting through to HK for help as there were about engines with crankshaft issues. Either way, it was enough to scare me off.
Old 01-31-2010, 08:00 AM
AJsToyz

ORIGINAL: johnnynb

Hey all ,

I think our factory need to answer some questions maybe you have.

1, Why we use same package for our local market ?

Actually now the sale quantity of our local market is not big ,so that we didn’t produce new different package for it. But in order to divide and protect our abroad market better, we plan to make new different package for local market in the near future. We will do these step by step and this will take some time ,hope you can understand.

2, Why RCGF local market products are cheaper ?

Because our local market products are different, the quality is ok ,not as good as our abroad market, such as power performance etc. The consumer requirement here is not as high as abroad market. And also the consuming capacity is much different. I think you can see these.

Sometimes the local guys post our new items photos in their website, but remember that the products you will get are different from the photos. Although we didn’t send our new items photos to them ,but they can easily download from internet.

Anyway RCGF factory will never stop improving us and will always offer you good products and good service together with our authorized distributors.

Best Regards,

Johnny
www.zjrcgf.com
25th June 2009
Bob,

That looks like a clone to me. I had a 26cc and it did not look like that one. That is a different cylinder for sure but the rest could be the same. Katherine from RCGF posted a while back that they have a different grade engine for the Asian market not intended for the rest of the world. I sold mine not to long ago, here is a link to the add, look at the cylinder.

Andy

http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemID=585339
Old 01-31-2010, 08:15 AM
Piston
My Feedback: (1)

Hey All
The RCG 26 "looks" like the 1st generation RCGF engine. I have one in my hands. RCGF makes these for the Asian market. Regardless... the engine you have is not a RCGF engine that is exported here. The RCGF factory is adamant that they do not sell engines to asian companies that sell on the internet to North America.

I have written about this before, and dealt with guys who have bought these engines.

A couple of things.
1. You really need to check the prop hub for alignment too. The 1st generation ones were known for poor prop hub alignment.
2. The cranks shafts in these units are not hardened so they will not take prop strikes well. That is too say, if you have a hard landing and the prop hits the ground running, just check to see that the alignment is still okay.
3. Interestingly...... if you read the instructions from Bob's picture, it mentions that it is a DEL Engine. That may be the trading house that sells them to Hobby King. Those instructions are well written too eh![:'(] NOT......
4. The electronic ignition is NOT a RCEXL ignition. Please be real real real careful about installing this. If you do get interference issues... It will because of this. This unit may be the forerunner of what RCGF is going to be providing to the North American marketplace in a couple of months. If so, there is no history on it. Also, it is being manufactured by an electronics company that has zero experience in RC.
5. Parts availability is spotty for these engines.
6. Your warranty is all but nonexistent too.
7. You may have an engine that may work, but engines built for the asian market are cheap for a reason. And there is a reason you can't buy them here either.... They don't last......
8. Even the RCGF factory will not help you with parts.
9. A shiny engine does not mean squat about the quality of the product.

You do get what you pay for........

Cheers
Henry

Old 01-31-2010, 08:38 AM
Jake Ruddy
My Feedback: (40)

TBM is selling these as Aerovate, I thought these problems were clear of that flavor???

http://www.troybuiltmodels.com/items/AEROVATE20R.html

But like I said in the first post (4676) the ring catch is slight and intermittent when turning the engine over by hand by the prop hub, I think a little polish with 600 grit will take care of it.

The muffler port on the cylinder measures 21/32, the muffler itself is at 20/32, so it's really only 1/32 smaller, and would not really be a problem to match, it looked smaller than that!

The gasket, on the other hand looks like a kindergardener cut it out with a pair of safety scissors, A real joke! But again, insignificant.

Over my lifetime, I've had my fingers in an array of engines, from automotive V-8's to Motocross two strokes, outboards, and of corse glow two & four strokes. Compared to what I've learned, this puppy is a little crude. Just my observation.

Am I the only one who noticed the "Aerovate" logo on TBM's website is from a company in Canada who doesn't even sell engines? www.aerovate.com
Old 01-31-2010, 08:54 AM
T3beatz
My Feedback: (4)

Henry isn't that your other company? or something like that?
Old 01-31-2010, 09:11 AM
SkyPilot101

My 20cc from TBM came in marked as RCGF, no mention of Aerovate anywhere, on instructions, warranty card, Na-Da. So what did I really get?

And the ignition is Not marked RCEXL [>:]
Old 01-31-2010, 09:15 AM
AJsToyz

Jake , can a thread name be changed ? From Aerovate to RC Aero or do you just need to start another thread ? The reason I started the Aerovate thread was to support Steve and Henry,and there were complaints from RCGF about speaking of the 28cc in this thread,but looks like things are changing ?

Andy
Old 01-31-2010, 09:19 AM
AJsToyz

RCGF seems to be using a clone ignition on there products. I took a RCEXL ignition with no plug and it will not spark outside the boot. I took the ignition from the RCGF and left the plug out and it will send the spark from here to what ever ! Might be where the interference is coming from.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.