Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

Manual gas pump sticking and oil in new Tygon tubing.

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Manual gas pump sticking and oil in new Tygon tubing.

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 05:40 PM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Manual gas pump sticking and oil in new Tygon tubing.

This is a two part query with the first being, my Hangar 9 Ultra manual gas pump works well but if unused for a few weeks is very difficult to crank initially when put back in use. Why is this and how can I stop it from happening as it puts quite a strain on the cranking handle which I am afraid will break one of thes days. I use a similar pump for glow and it works perfectly.

Secondly, some time ago I bought some Tygon tubing and put it away in a plastic Zip lock bag for future use, and now on opening the packet I noticed the tubing was oily on the outside and had droplets of an oil looking substance inside. How could this be as it was all clean and dry when put away. It's a mystery to me.

Karol
Old 10-21-2008, 05:49 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts
Default RE: Manual gas pump sticking and oil in new Tygon tubing.

ORIGINAL: karolh

This is a two part query with the first being, my Hangar 9 Ultra manual gas pump works well but if unused for a few weeks is very difficult to crank initially when put back in use. Why is this and how can I stop it from happening as it puts quite a strain on the cranking handle which I am afraid will break one of thes days. I use a similar pump for glow and it works perfectly.

Secondly, some time ago I bought some Tygon tubing and put it away in a plastic Zip lock bag for future use, and now on opening the packet I noticed the tubing was oily on the outside and had droplets of an oil looking substance inside. How could this be as it was all clean and dry when put away. It's a mystery to me.

Karol
Tygon is a compound of several materials including vinyl and plasticizers. Some of these plasticizers can leech out of the material when left over time. Sealed up in your bag, the plasticizers can't escape and are still visible on the line. Unless your fuel line is overly stiff, it should just fine to use.

Have you ever noticed how vinyl binders and other soft vinyl products get hard in time. Well one reason is because the plasticizers leave the vinyl leaving it stiff. Same happens with Tygon in use. Some gasolines will tend to make it stiff, some more flexible.
Old 10-21-2008, 07:41 PM
gkamysz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The sticking pump is very common. There isn't much you can do about it.
Old 10-21-2008, 08:07 PM
Truckracer

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

ORIGINAL: gkamysz

Mine does it too every now and then. My solution ... keep a spare in the truck.
Old 10-21-2008, 08:27 PM
karolh

My solution regarding the pump sticking so far is every now and then when I'm close by I give the handle a turn or two.

Karol
Old 10-21-2008, 09:48 PM
altavillan
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmmmm. Maybe your jamaican gas has some special additives. Maybe your pennzoil doesn't lube and protect all that well. Gas will swell o-rings, maybe the case is warping from the swelling. Do you leave gas in the pump? if not I might guess it's drying out during periods of non use. Try leaving some gas in the pump.
I havn't had that issue ever with a Dubro thats 3 years old, but it did leak a bit this weekend. I hadn't used it for about 2 months ( been doing the electric thing) I almost never drain the tank after flying. Course I use a super secret best 2 cycle oil.
Old 10-22-2008, 06:48 AM
huey-pilot
My Feedback: (17)

Your Hanger 9 pump is sticking because the small screw in the side of the pump is too tight. You will have to peel back the Hanger 9 label to find the screw, just back off the screw enough to allow you to turn the pump handle, if you back it off too far you will have problems priming the pump. I believe that this is the same pump that Dubro sells.
Old 10-22-2008, 12:29 PM
karolh

ORIGINAL: huey-pilot

Your Hanger 9 pump is sticking because the small screw in the side of the pump is too tight. You will have to peel back the Hanger 9 label to find the screw, just back off the screw enough to allow you to turn the pump handle, if you back it off too far you will have problems priming the pump. I believe that this is the same pump that Dubro sells.
Before I go fiddling with the pump can you explain what purpose does this screw serve.

Altavillan,

You could have a point there about the pump drying out, as I do drain my tanks after use so most times the pump is empty. Will try leaving it in a primed state and see if that helps.

Karol
Old 10-23-2008, 07:14 AM
huey-pilot
My Feedback: (17)

The screw on the side of the pump adjusts the clearance between the side plate of the pump and the gears inside. After use some of the pumps will get tight and increasing the clearance will allow the gears to turn freely. You will need a small allen wrench to turn this screw.
Old 10-23-2008, 10:36 AM
jaka

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi!
Best pump I have used is this. It pumps both gas and methanol fuel. And...it has a modified gear-box...pumps more fuel in less time than previous models.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zw69645.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	1057404  
Old 10-23-2008, 12:26 PM
karolh

My H9 Ultra works great just the occassional sticking problem.

Karol
Old 10-23-2008, 04:54 PM
karolh

ORIGINAL: huey-pilot

The screw on the side of the pump adjusts the clearance between the side plate of the pump and the gears inside. After use some of the pumps will get tight and increasing the clearance will allow the gears to turn freely. You will need a small allen wrench to turn this screw.
Which way do I turn the screw to increase the clearance ?

Karol
Old 10-23-2008, 05:51 PM
DMcQuinn
My Feedback: (13)

Counterclockwise will increase the clearance. With too much clearance, however, the pump will pump less fuel per crank.
Old 10-23-2008, 10:12 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: gkamysz

Make sure line is clear of gas....and shoot in some silicone spray in line and the outside of line. That should help. Capt,n
Old 10-24-2008, 07:18 AM
gkamysz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I didn't think silicone and gasoline or methanol were compatible. It sounds like a clogged filter waiting to happen.