Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

DL50 Ignition timing setting guide.

Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

DL50 Ignition timing setting guide.

Old 06-15-2009, 07:15 AM
farooq

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DL50 Ignition timing setting guide.

Hi

Ineed to set the ignition timing setting on my DL50. Can anyone guide me the simplest and accurate method. I have no previous knowledge or special tool for it.

Old 06-15-2009, 10:15 AM
pe reivers

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: DL50 Ignition timing setting guide.

You need at least a degree wheel, and then set the timing at 28° before top dead center.
Without tools, set the sensor so you have equal correction travel either side, and hope for the best.
Old 06-15-2009, 10:29 AM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Instructions at bottom of page:
http://www.ch-ignitions.com/CHinst.html

Print this out and make the gizmo they show for measuring the timing:
http://www.ch-ignitions.com/timing.html

You're looking at 28-30 degrees.

Old 06-15-2009, 08:28 PM
krproton

ORIGINAL: pe reivers

You need at least a degree wheel, and then set the timing at 28° before top dead center.
Without tools, set the sensor so you have equal correction travel either side, and hope for the best.
Hey "pe."

Sorry if I'm asking a dumb question, but how far can the timing actually be off (and how will it affect the way the engine runs) if you just center the hall sensor fron side-to-side on its mounting bolts? I mean, the flywheel (with magnet) is keyed, so you can't mess that up, and there isn't much free play (adjustment) on the hall sensor either way. Do tell.

And thanks!

Old 06-16-2009, 06:27 AM
pe reivers

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is quite a broad range of settings that will give you the exact same rpm on a prop. Some engines even accept 40° advance, while others need only 20°.
Related to the engine needs: early ignition increases the load on the piston, shaft and bearing and detonation may set in.  The engine may be more prone to kick back when starting. The plug will be abused, and the carb is more difficult to adjust right.
A late ignition increases the exhaust gas temperature, but is not detrimal to the engine, and provides sweeter starting with a better adjustable carb.

So find the latest ignition advance point without loosing power, and you will be just fine.
Old 06-16-2009, 08:39 AM
krproton

Thanks pe. I appreciate your expertise and the time you have taken to answer my question. But one of my other questions still remains; On my DL 50, as there is only a small amount of adjustment that can be done tothe hall sensor (because of the slotted mounting holes), how far can the timing actually be off if I just center the sensor on the mounting bolts on the case? It cannot be more than a degree or two either way, no?

Thanks again!

Tim
Old 06-18-2009, 12:35 AM
Jezmo

Tim, mine was off by more than 10 degs from the factory.  It was set at 39 degs. and would not idle right nor transition very well.  It would sometimes be sounding OK then just pop and die.  I played with carb settings for days trying to get it right.  Having worked as an engine tech since I was 9, (I am now 53 and still bending wrenches) I started looking for problems and found the timing issue.  I had to make some mods but managed to get my timing back to 28 degs and WOW what an awesome little motor it became.  It will now idle all day long at 1100 rpm's and transitions with the best.  Yes timing does make a difference and it's not up at full throttle as I neither gained nor lost a single rpm at full throttle after the change. (I use a tach to check my high speed needle adjustment)

P.S. It did make it start much easier.
Old 06-18-2009, 03:26 AM
dubs1946

I had the same problem with my 3W85 i was 18 months chasing a bad starting motor untill i checked the timing it was set at 8-10 degrees before TDC.from the factory i had to make up a special bracket to move the sencer 1 inch round the crankcase.
Once found it transformed the engine to a one flick starter and 500 more RPM.
So my suggestion is when you obtain a new or second hand engine just spend a small amount of time to check the timing, it could save a lot of money and swear words.
Old 06-18-2009, 08:58 AM
krproton

Thanks everybody, but what I still don't understand is how the timing can be off by anything more than a degree or two on an engine like the DL where the threaded holes for the the hall sensor mounting screws are already drilled and tapped into the front crank case. The holes are slotted (a little) in the sensor, but that leaves little room of adjustment (mis adjustment). Only a degree or two. So, how far off can one really get the timing on the DL?

Thanks again.

Tim
Old 06-18-2009, 10:57 AM
OldRookie
My Feedback: (13)

I was reading the timing procedures from both of the links provided. The Rcexl site states to turn the engine clockwise opposit the running direction to set the timing. How much difference is there between turning the engine cw or ccw when timing the engine? If this is important, why doesn't the CH site tell you which way to rotate the engine when checking timing?

Greg
Old 06-18-2009, 01:06 PM
JoeAirPort

Not sure why that is. I rotate it the way the engine runs (CCW). I actually view the timing wheel while I slowly rotate the prop and make sure I "hear" the spark at the angle I'm setting it for on the timing wheel (28 BTDC for example). I repeat this a few times until I'm convinced the spark is happening right at that exact angle. Works great.

Old 06-18-2009, 01:52 PM
jedijody
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm sure this is because there is difference whether you are standing in front of the engine or sitting in the cockpit. If C&H referenced a direction guess what the next question would be. Leaving it out makes sense because 99.99% of people wouldjust turn it the direction of rotation when the engine is running.

RcXel's clockwise direction may sound odd to many but makes senseto those ofus who work on these things in our sleep. Rotation direction, right, left, up, down,are always referenced from the pilots seat.

Always time the engine while rotating it in the directionyou want theenginetorun.
Old 06-18-2009, 02:35 PM
Jezmo

Sharp folks them jedi's. Jody must be a "jedi master" like the little "green fellow" cause he knows his stuff. Hi Jody, do we share an A&P background?

Hi Tim.
To try and answer your question and still be diplomatic to the fine folks over in China, suffice it to say that sometimes things can be misdrilled when doing fast production work using people that are paid an unthinkable small amount per week using sometimes less than state of the art equipment. It just so happens my timing problem was caused by a misdrilled magnet hole in the prop drive hub. It was VERY simple to fix and I am not concerned about it considering the price I paid for the engine. IMHO it is a keeper.

Edited to correct spelling.
Old 06-18-2009, 02:52 PM
jedijody

No Jez, not an A&P, just an old gear head that's been playing with toy airplanes for the last 40 years. My brother in law gave me the moniker 25 years ago, don't remember why, maybe it's my ears.
Old 06-18-2009, 04:39 PM
OldRookie

Jody,

I'm not trying to be a smart azz, but the instructions say specifically "Turn the crankshaft clockwise (opposite to
the engine rotation) until the wheel reads 28 degrees."

Maybe it is a misprint in the instructions. That is why I asked.

I'll continue to turn the crankshaft in the direction the engine runs to set the timing, until I hear different.

Thanks for your reply,
Greg
Old 06-18-2009, 04:48 PM
jedijody

It is not a misprint, theyare refering to the rotation as viewed from the cockpit which is technicaly correct.
Old 06-18-2009, 05:51 PM
OldRookie

Jody,

When they are saying "opposite to the engine rotation" it doesn't make any difference if you are in the cockpit or in front of the engine, it is still opposite engine rotation. By opposite engine rotation I am assuming they mean the direction the engine runs.

Greg
Old 06-18-2009, 06:30 PM
jedijody

I just read the directions again and I can see howthey could confuse someone or at least raise the question. Once you have set your crank at TDC and have a pointer and degree wheel installed and they are lined up on 0 deg., it says to rotate the crankshaft clockwise until the pointer is lined up on 28-30 deg. BTDC and stop, this is the direction to turn the crank the shortest amount to achieve the desired angle setting. It then goes on to instruct you to turn a timing ring with sensor installed counter clockwise until you see it spark. The RcXelinstructions are meant to be used toretro fittheir ignition on an engine other than one with a sensor mounted to the crankcase. I stand corrected but for their intent, the RcXel instructions arecorrect.
Old 06-18-2009, 06:45 PM
OldRookie

This is the statement I was referring to from the Rcexl directions.

Yes...it is confusing. Out of context unless realizing it is for retrofit.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn36958.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	6.3 KB
ID:	1220659  
Old 06-18-2009, 07:27 PM
jedijody

Right after that it says;

For Adjustable Magnet Rings:

Turn magnet fixed ring Counter Clockwise. When you see the plug firing, stop and lock down the ring, the correct ignition timing is now set. (28o ~30o.) The plug will fire as the magnet passes slightly past the Hall Sensor, this is a normal condition.

For Fixed Hall Sensors:

Try to use your existing hall sensor mounting holes, if this is a conversion you will need to estimate the hall sensor position and drill and tap your own. The holes on the hall sensor housing are ovular and allow for some adjustment.

It doesn't give directions at all for checking what your timing is currently set at. To do so, set up the degree wheel as described, on 0 deg.with crank at TDC,and alwaysrotate the engine in the direction it is supposed to run and watch for the spark.

Old 06-18-2009, 07:31 PM
OldRookie

Jody,

Thanks for clearing that up.[sm=thumbs_up.gif]

You DA Man

Greg
Old 06-18-2009, 09:08 PM
JoeAirPort

Ideleted the link from this thread. Iagree that it's confusing and notwhat the thread starter needed.
Old 06-19-2009, 12:03 AM
RC Extreme power
My Feedback: (24)

Maybe this will help

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SydZV...e=channel_page

Milton
Old 06-19-2009, 07:24 AM
OldRookie

Milton,

Good job[sm=thumbs_up.gif]
It is always a great help to watch someone that knows what they are doing, demonstrate their knowledge.
After watching your video, I am confident that I have a full understanding of how the timing procedure works.

Thanks again,
Greg
Old 06-21-2009, 09:59 AM
farooq

Thanks everyone. 

I have finally checked the timing and figured out that its 32 degrees. I changed the timing to 28 degrees but as demonstrated in the vide link given above http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_8864014/tm.htm when the guy rotated the shaft either clockwise or anti clockwise it always ignited on 28 degrees. So rotation in either direction the angle was same. When i rotate my shaft anti clokwise (in the direction of rotation of prop) it fires at 28 degrees but clockwise it fires at around 40 degrees. Any comments.

However with these new setting I test for around 10 minutes on the ground. 1300 rpms low, reliable and no hesitation of engine to move from this to full throttle (previously engine was quitting if i kept the rpms less than 1800). throttle response was little better no change in top rpm. 

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.