Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

SYSSA 30CC GAS MADE IN USA

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 10:22 AM
Joystick TX

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: SYSSA 30CC GAS MADE IN USA

ORIGINAL: TexasSkyPilot

After my new Syssa arrives, I'll start in on my next project, a GP Super Stearman.

~ Jim ~
How about flying the GSS before you start on another building project? You don't need more hangar queens! Also, I want to hear how much you like it compared to the glow powered one you had. If you wait any longer you will need to put skis on it so you can fly off the snow I'm sending down your way (I don't want it here).
Old 11-04-2010, 11:55 AM
50%plane
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

fail
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9EItlHLcDc[/youtube]
Old 11-04-2010, 12:49 PM
Joystick TX

I hate it when that happens.

Bet the water was cold too.
Old 11-04-2010, 05:57 PM
PacificNWSkyPilot
My Feedback: (19)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Me too, but it happens. I lost my Monocoupe, when my spark plug failed as I was flying up over a treeline, the only one around. Things happen to planes, so when you roll the dice by placing the craft in jeopardy by flying over trees (or water), you need to be willing to pay up when the dice come up showing snake-eyes. Like I needed to say that out loud. Ouch. Hope the plane dried out okay and that you didn't get pneumonia.

Note to self: Apparently, rudders don't work when the plane's in the air and the rudder's under water. Try not to do that.

Joystick TX,

I have to finish up the final editing on my novel before I start another RC project, so no worries about that. I have no hangar queens; if I have it, I fly it frequently. If I don't fly it, I sell it. However, right after I finished the GSS, I had to get back onto the novel, my wife had a trip to New Orleans planned, and the weather started acting up every weekend I had an open schedule. Then last week a swap meet came up in Austin, and I'd been waiting for one (to get rid of older hangar queens to make room.), so that blew Saturday. Then the wind blew 35 MPH here on Sunday, which literally blew Sunday!

So far, we have a perfect forecast here for Saturday and Sunday, and I am preparing for the GSS's maiden flight this weekend. I'm honestly not too worried, it should fly like a baby.

I want to get some flying in on it and get used to it, though, as I am planning on swapping out the SAP 180 with the new one when it comes in, and I want to be used to the deadstick / low idle flight characteristics for when the new one is first installed. Sometimes they stall at first until the break-in is completed. It's the perfect plane for breaking in a new engine, you could dead-stick it all day and still bring it down happy. I want to send this SAP 180 back to the factory for all the upgrades; there really is a list of them by now.

***SIGH*** I suppose you're gonna want to see videos. No guarantees, very few guys around here can handle a Video Cam, and Bandit is very skilled at it but he's P.O.'d at me!

It ain't easy bein' cheesy.

[8D]
Old 11-04-2010, 10:59 PM
50%plane

My plane is fine, only damage was a fried throttle servo and a broken prop.... Flyin it again tomorrow...
Old 11-04-2010, 11:17 PM
PacificNWSkyPilot

That's good to hear. We like good news here.

~ Jim ~
Old 11-05-2010, 07:15 AM
Joystick TX

Glad to hear the plane is OK after the water landing.

Jim,

I keep forgetting that people need to work and not just fly planes and have fun. I used to do work; retirement is way better, but I still don't have enough time to play with all my toys. I've not had time to work on my plane for two weeks!
Old 11-05-2010, 04:00 PM
PacificNWSkyPilot

ORIGINAL: Joystick TX

Glad to hear the plane is OK after the water landing.

Jim,

I keep forgetting that people need to work and not just fly planes and have fun. I used to do work; retirement is way better, but I still don't have enough time to play with all my toys. I've not had time to work on my plane for two weeks!
That's okay, Steve. I tried retirement, but I was too young for that. Decided to go back to work and write novels. The going back to work thing is okay at times, the writing of novels is fun, but we've yet to see if I'm any good at it, though there seems to be a lot of interest in it right now.

In between times, when I have some time to spare, I grab a new RC project and go with it to stay busy. That's a problem on the horizon, though, because I've filled the hangar with all good planes now and only have room for the Super Stearman and one or two smaller ones I made storage room for, and that'll about be it. I'm planning on videotaping and documenting the Super Stearman, that'll be a lot of episodes of Building with Jim, but it should be fun. Might sell the video disk of the whole build afterward.

After that? I don't know, might build a few for video and them sell them off, or the novels might take off.

Just as long as I don't have to sit in that dang rocking chair all day every day.

And just to be clear, you're saying that over the past two weeks you've allowed your OWN planes to fall into the category of Hangar Queens? STEVE!

~ Jim ~
Old 11-05-2010, 11:33 PM
Joystick TX

My planes .... Hangar Queens?

Oops, I guess I need to put off work on the GSS again, put on all the warm clothes I own, and fly all five planes tomorrow. Wonder if the 30cc Syssa is too much for the Sig Senorita?

At least I got the RC starter bench plans uploaded on here (Field Bench Forum) in a pdf format, so the day wasn't a total waste.
Old 11-06-2010, 08:10 AM
PacificNWSkyPilot

That sounds right. And this cold weather? Up in Maine, this is late August weather! Of course, up there they're usually tracking the deer in the first fresh snows on this date.

I think the 30CC would be REAL GOOD on the Sig Seniorita. You are of course doubling or tripling the size of the plans? LOL

I'm here, inland from you and up in the Hill Country, and I'll be loading my GSS for her Maiden in the next 5 minutes or so.

No Hangar Queens here, Steve! Though I had to grab my LL Bean Chamoise shirt, it IS a tid bit nipply out there.

~ Jim ~ [sm=49_49.gif]
Old 11-15-2010, 12:40 PM
Howard
My Feedback: (55)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am really having a difficult time keeping the muffler from loosening up. My engine came with the Nordlock washers and still loosened in just a few flights. I replaced the washers and added safety lock wire and it has already loosened up such that I can readily jiggle the muffler back and forth almost a 1/16" . Anyone having similar issues and how to fix it? Thanks

Howard
Old 11-15-2010, 01:01 PM
Mike Miller

Hi Howard,
probably a dumb question, but here goes. My engine came with nord locks as well,,,, but. Someone must have been trying to save a buck because when I looked closer, I only had a half a nord lock under each socket head bolt. These washers require two pieces to work properly, with the "saw tooth" teeth against eash other. I have never heard of nordlocks loosening up if installed right, unless someting else in the assembly is crushing (like a gasket)

Fasteners properly torqued hold themselves in place by stretching between the heads and tapped holes. The nordlock principle simly holds that stretch of the metal in check.

Just a thought, as I have said before I certainly don't profess to know everything.

Mike
Old 11-15-2010, 01:07 PM
50%plane

I use red RTV... works like a charm... Flew my Extra all weekend at the Huckfest.... lots of power and performance, Todd, you might pick up a few orders....
Old 11-15-2010, 02:32 PM
Howard

ORIGINAL: Mike Miller

Hi Howard,
probably a dumb question, but here goes. My engine came with nord locks as well,,,, but. Someone must have been trying to save a buck because when I looked closer, I only had a half a nord lock under each socket head bolt. These washers require two pieces to work properly, with the ''saw tooth'' teeth against eash other. I have never heard of nordlocks loosening up if installed right, unless someting else in the assembly is crushing (like a gasket)

Fasteners properly torqued hold themselves in place by stretching between the heads and tapped holes. The nordlock principle simly holds that stretch of the metal in check.

Just a thought, as I have said before I certainly don't profess to know everything.

Mike
I agree with you which is why I find this to be a head scratcher. The original nordlocks were installed two on each bolt, with the serrated side pointed up on top and down on the bottom such that the saw tooth sides would engage each other. I do appreciate your help.

Howard
Old 11-15-2010, 02:33 PM
Howard

ORIGINAL: 50%plane

I use red RTV... works like a charm... Flew my Extra all weekend at the Huckfest.... lots of power and performance, Todd, you might pick up a few orders....
For clarity do you mean I should try using red thread lock?

Howard
Old 11-15-2010, 02:42 PM
50%plane

ORIGINAL: Howard

For clarity do you mean I should try using red thread lock?

Howard
no, RTV.

http://www.permatex.com/products/aut...one_Gasket.htm

I used that to replace my muffler gasket and I put it around the screws to keep them in place. Works on F-15 engines too....
Old 11-15-2010, 08:55 PM
MTK

My plane is fine, only damage was a fried throttle servo and a broken prop.... Flyin it again tomorrow...
Thanks for the laughs Chris. Excellent videotaping and even better amusement

Glad your plane is in good shape and flying again
Old 11-15-2010, 08:59 PM
MTK

Hey did your prop blast move the crashed plane?
Old 11-15-2010, 09:16 PM
50%plane

ORIGINAL: MTK

no, I picked it up with my tail wheel...
Old 11-15-2010, 09:26 PM
Truckracer

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

ORIGINAL: Mike Miller

Hi Howard,
probably a dumb question, but here goes. My engine came with nord locks as well,,,, but. Someone must have been trying to save a buck because when I looked closer, I only had a half a nord lock under each socket head bolt. These washers require two pieces to work properly, with the ''saw tooth'' teeth against eash other. I have never heard of nordlocks loosening up if installed right, unless someting else in the assembly is crushing (like a gasket)

Mike
Mike, it that is the engine you got from me, those were just plain flat washers on the muffler when delivered. Not Nord Locks. I would have tried them if I had some. That engine was new before they came from the factory with them. I have never needed Nord Locks or anything similar on any other gasser I have owned and have never had a loose muffler .... except on the Syssa.
Old 11-15-2010, 09:59 PM
Mike Miller

Hi Roger,
I meant no disrespect. I should pull the washers off and have a closer look. The really do look like half of the nord lock system, but my eyes are certainly not what they used to be.

FYI, the engine has been sharing my plague of things simply not going acording to plan. I had it mounted and was test running when it popped and sheared the timing key. I sent it to Todd, and it is now back here with all the new modifications. I was going to fly it yesterday for the first time, and the vent line on my fuel tank got pulled off by accident, which I discovered after pumping the front of the airframe full of gasoline. (wonder who took my fuel vent off LOL)

Good to see you again, hopefully I will have some good news for you next time we meet.

Mike
Old 11-15-2010, 10:20 PM
MTK

Impressive. The wheel collar? Outstanding effort
Old 11-15-2010, 11:50 PM
Joystick TX

That is impressive! I would be afraid that the planes would get locked together and make landing yours very interesting. I don't get that close to the ground even when I land.

I just thought you were doing a "happy dance" over your enemy.
Old 11-15-2010, 11:55 PM
50%plane

lol, I picked him up, but ended up letting him go... I was tail touching all weekend, or all year, for that matter... plenty of power and performance on the stock setup. Still running the Vess 18.5X5.5 and Royal Purple @ 50:1
Old 11-16-2010, 06:16 AM
Syssa Aircraft

The Nordlocks we use are the real Nordlocks. There are plenty of copies out there that may or may not work so well.

Also, when using Nordlocks or any lockwasher, using a flat washer under it negates the locking feature.

Great photos Chris! Wish I could have seen that!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.