Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

DLE30!

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 08:56 AM
Guardbum115
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: NEW DLE30!

yes, that or a flat plate. The yak-54 I'm getting has had 2 prior mounts drilled/filled into the firewall, I'm a touch worried about strength. I intend on re-fiberglassing the front and sides just to be sure but I think the "plate" would make me feel better yet.....am I worried about nothing or what do you guys think?
Old 05-09-2010, 09:04 AM
Night Scream

Well I finally have all the parts needed to start break in on my dle 30 this monday.. Just gotta figure out where i'm going to put the ignition and how in my break in bench...

I'm going to be using Bel Ray H1R 100% synthetic racing oil has anyone used this oil before? I was told its way better than the pennzoil 2 stroke air cooled oil. Will using premium gas 93 octane make a difference in the engine?
Old 05-09-2010, 09:19 AM
ericrcpilot
My Feedback: (145)

ORIGINAL: Night Scream

Well I finally have all the parts needed to start break in on my dle 30 this monday.. Just gotta figure out where i'm going to put the ignition and how in my break in bench...

I'm going to be using Bel Ray H1R 100% synthetic racing oil has anyone used this oil before? I was told its way better than the pennzoil 2 stroke air cooled oil. Will using premium gas 93 octane make a difference in the engine?
I use H1R from the get go mixed at 40:1. It has always worked perfectly for me.
Old 05-09-2010, 12:19 PM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Bel Ray HR1 is a excellent brand oil and there is no need to use anything more than straight 87 octane pump gas unless your engine manufacturer specifies otherwise, as using a high octane gas gives no added advantage in our normally low compression engines and could possibly make your engine run hotter than it should.

Karol
Old 05-09-2010, 12:43 PM
kgeb

The octane of the gas has little to do with the way these low compression engines run. BUT the ETHANOL content does. I had been running marathon 87 or there 91 both had idle/ die problems in all my gas engines(poor idle).
I went to a local chain saw shop to see what they recommended for the chain saws.
2 shops both said, " Citco premium is the only local sold gas with out ethanol to there knowledge". So I tried some, O what a difference. The idle was unbelievable better.
No more hard fuel lines, or swelled up ones either.
I my area a lot of difference brands of fuel come from the same pipe line, and I am sure that holds true for most of the country. so even when you change brands your getting the same base gas with just a different additive package.
Try checking with a local small engine shop, see what they say works in your area.
Another place to check is a good outboard engine shop. Boat motors suffer from the same issues with ethanol gas.
Old 05-09-2010, 12:57 PM
ghoffman
My Feedback: (3)

Once NASCAR went to unleaded Sunoco, most race tracks went that way too. As said above, the 100 octane does not do anything for you with these engines, but the 100% gasoline does. It is worth about 4% more energy content. Kinda makes you wonder why it is sold at all, but that is a different thread (politics). However it is about $7-8/gallon, but compared to glow fuel, but that is still not bad for R/C models.
Old 05-09-2010, 04:46 PM
Night Scream

ORIGINAL: ericrcpilot

I imagine 40:1 is after the break in period right??

The gas here in Puerto Rico. none have ethanol in them.. they're all regular gas..

Old 05-09-2010, 04:48 PM
ericrcpilot

ORIGINAL: ericrcpilot

I imagine 40:1 is after the break in period right??

The gas here in Puerto Rico. none have ethanol in them.. they're all regular gas..

Nope - 40:1 right from the start works perfectly. It takes a bit longer to get it fully broke in, but it works great.
Old 05-09-2010, 04:56 PM
Night Scream

um how much longer for break in?? this is my first gasser.. all i've heard it takes 2-3 gallons for full break in is that right?

Old 05-09-2010, 05:08 PM
ericrcpilot

Maybe an extra gallon. It is a strong engine from the get go.
Old 05-09-2010, 05:12 PM
Night Scream

Is the break in period then about 2-4 gallons at that rate then??

but then at 30:1 like the manual says its around 2-3 gallons?

confused a bit now..
Old 05-09-2010, 06:23 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It is true a lot of these engine we use do not need high octane...BUT...the engines need GOOD gas. So sometimes you will need to buy the higher gradegas to getGOOD gas. When I go to a gas station to buy Hi- octane, I pump at least a 1/2 gallon or so into my vehicale (I do not want the low octane in pump hose)and the rest goes into my container for my small engines. What a difference it does make. Better starting & the Idle is better. Capt,n
Old 05-09-2010, 08:08 PM
RedwingRC

Hey Captin John - That's a good idea!  I really like that (Pumping 1/2 a gallon into the car first)!  I never really thought about the previous fuel being in the hose (possibly a lower grade), but I will start doing that myself!

Tim
Old 05-09-2010, 08:37 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I can't believe this conversation is happening for the ten thousanth time. Use the fingers and the mind, do a searh with keywords like an oil brand name like Bel Ray, Redline, Stihl, MC-1, H1R, Pennzoil, WalMart oil, Echo, oil ratio, octane, best oil, effects of ethanol, and settle back for about a thousand pages of reading. All of the above is a blind re-hash of ancient discussion. You can do the same search on other forums and end up with another thousand pages if you do not find the answers.
Old 05-09-2010, 09:09 PM
kgeb

At least in the past, the only gas that a station sold, that met the franchise name specs was the premium grade. EVERYTHING ELSE, was open market government minimum spec unleaded gas. I use to buy diesel fuel buy the tanker load, and it all came from the same refinery.
If your engine doesn't run as well as you think it should, try another brand, you may be pleasantly surprised. TRY to AVOID ETHANOL, but that is getting tougher everyday. I think I read for each 10% ethanol, reduces the lubricating quality of the oil by 25%.
Once the 2 cycle oil has been mixed with the gas try to get it use in less than a month. Mixed gas seems to loose it punch quickly. If you need to readjust your carb setting, on older gas, try new gas first you will see a difference.
The gallon in the truck first trick is a great idea, except I drive a diesel. HA.
Old 05-09-2010, 09:40 PM
EGRUNE
My Feedback: (10)

Night Scream,
Red Line Synthetic Racing Oil at 32:1.....Period!
Old 05-09-2010, 09:43 PM
Guardbum115
My Feedback: (12)

ghoffman: Any clue where i can get a mount like that? Or do you even think it is worth it?
Old 05-10-2010, 06:11 AM
ghoffman
My Feedback: (3)

It is a custom CNC part. With SolidWorks talking to a Haas CNC mill, I can make anything I can think of. The intention is to allow it to be inserted into the box and bonded and/or screwed in place, so that is why it has so much surface area on the sides. What are the dimensions of the engine mount box that you need?
Old 05-10-2010, 05:23 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Tired Old Man

I can't believe this conversation is happening for the ten thousanth time. Use the fingers and the mind, do a searh with keywords like an oil brand name like Bel Ray, Redline, Stihl, MC-1, H1R, Pennzoil, WalMart oil, Echo, oil ratio, octane, best oil, effects of ethanol, and settle back for about a thousand pages of reading. All of the above is a blind re-hash of ancient discussion. You can do the same search on other forums and end up with another thousand pages if you do not find the answers.
TOM
What I cannot believe is I have not posted hardly at all....but right after I post....bingo ( like in times past) you got a very long unneeded post. People wantto read thelatest...not the blind ancient you post about.......................
Old 05-10-2010, 05:45 PM
Tired Old Man

John,

You had nothing to do with it. Most of the time I don't bother to note the name of the last person posting, or the 5 or 6 that chimed in after that. I didn't even know it was you until this last post of yours whining about being singled out. Don't make yourself out to be special by thinking you were singled out. I can assure you that you are and were not. There just happened to be a post again beating a well ridden horse.

The point I was trying to make is still quite valid. Nothing has changed with oil technology, blended fuels, and how the engine functions in the last 4 months or since this thread started. The only significant changes were in the custome backplate that will no longer be made because DLE has changed the case design. All the information that is being discussed is very old, or ancient as you call it. I still see numerous people posting about oils and ratios that clearly don't have a clue about the subject matter. Break in times is another area, clearly evident because they use gallon counts as a break in reference.

It's not that people only want to read the latest, it's that they are too lazy, or ignorant, to perform any simple and basic research. Instant gratification syndrome. That's a habit I would not mind seeing broken because there is much to learn that one question will not reveal. It's like going to a library. All the information is there if only one is willing to open their eyes and walk down the aisles to look for it. A lot of people will become offended by this post but those same people will be the ones that refuse to recognize the truth when it bites them on the butt, or that cannot deal with the truth when it pertains to them. You can't build a house without using tools, and using the right tools makes for a better house.

For those willing to use tools to assist their quest for knowledge, there are two search boxes just under the fast reply box at the bottom of every thread page. Try one sometime.
Old 05-10-2010, 07:44 PM
RP80

T.O.M - what you fail to understand is no one really needs your comments about people being lazy (in YOUR opinion). MANY people in these forums come here to HELP and discuss with others, because they like to, and are happy to answer questions.

Because there is so much information in this single post, it is often very hard to find the ONE post (or group of 1-5 posts) on the topic you are looking for. If someone doesn't want to spend 3 hours looking, because others are willing to take 2 minutes out of their day to answer, what are YOU so upset about??? You mention having the proper tools... Sometimes the proper tool is COMMUNITY! Why spend 3 hours on something that can take 5 minutes? Work smarter not harder. (Unless you enjoy self flagellation perhaps)

You seem like the grumpy old man down at the field that thinks he knows more than anyone else there, and acts like you did it ALL on your own. Too pompous to admit that at one time, you too, had to humble yourself and ASK for help. You would probably not admit this though, because some people refuse to recognize the truth when it bites them on the butt.

Oh, wait, you did it ALL by reading, and experimenting on your own. Never asking for a personal opinion from another, but relying only on your own trial and error. If that's true, I feel for you, but please, when others want to ask for live help, keep your comments to yourself (unless you have something helpful to add)!

Old 05-10-2010, 08:21 PM
RR24

I was going to comment on the last two post, but i will let it alone[sm=confused.gif]
Old 05-10-2010, 08:39 PM
Tired Old Man

I still maintain that using a search engine will provide far more information than someone posting a single question already answered a thousand times. The later answers to the new question are very frequently incorrect or informationally distorted. The green are answering the green. As I said before, some of those guilty of being lazy will be offended, and probably still have not tied the search functions. You floks still haven't managed to figure out that many that have a lot of the knowledge you desire don't often post in this thread anymore because everything has been said three times over minimum already. They are expecting you to do something that requires a little effort. Read! Most books have a lot of pages too, and I'm afraid that the same people would not bother turning a page.

I'm afraid that I have done a lot of the work in various areas that many of you now take for granted and often quote incorrectly. Since you "feel for me" I will make you feel better and no longer provide the results of many years of experimentation. Let others start from scratch to verify what has already been done and move forward on their own. When the "community" refuses to do any work it became something very different from a community.
Old 05-10-2010, 09:37 PM
bigtim
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Tired Old Man

I still maintain that using a search engine will provide far more information than someone posting a single question already answered a thousand times. The later answers to the new question are very frequently incorrect or informationally distorted. The green are answering the green. As I said before, some of those guilty of being lazy will be offended, and probably still have not tied the search functions. You floks still haven't managed to figure out that many that have a lot of the knowledge you desire don't often post in this thread anymore because everything has been said three times over minimum already. They are expecting you to do something that requires a little effort. Read! Most books have a lot of pages too, and I'm afraid that the same people would not bother turning a page.

I'm afraid that I have done a lot of the work in various areas that many of you now take for granted and often quote incorrectly. Since you ''feel for me'' I will make you feel better and no longer provide the results of many years of experimentation. Let others start from scratch to verify what has already been done and move forward on their own. When the ''community'' refuses to do any work it became something very different from a community.
while I appreciate the search function on RCU to gather information, I often find it refers to the most recent thread and not necessarily the most pertinent one to the search subject a personal cause for frustration.

I post this not as a personal attack TOM, because I have allot of respect for your knowledge and want to learn.

the older search function worked better for me, and is part of the reason I might re post a subject, in what would seem to be repetitive posts myself.

having posted in excess of 15000 I would think you have covered almost every subject addnausium in the gas engine dept, might I add I have gleaned allot of information from your posts.

my suggestion would be instead of a somewhat nasty post about how one needs to use the search function, and do the work, point out a particular post where the information might be found, and how to get it for those who may have trouble.
does it bug me when people are too lazy to poke at a button and search out a subject, sure it does on many subjects that I post on regularly, mainly building, and painting tecniques that have been covered so many times I generally point to a thread and say read it for yourself.

not every one has been hanging on RCU as long as you have, obviously you enjoy being a educator and as someone who is far from being a RC noob I am definitely a gas model engine beginner, and appreciate the information you provide generously at your time and expense.

just a little food for thought
Old 05-10-2010, 09:41 PM
FOOPED
My Feedback: (8)

Well said T.O.M.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.