Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 12:56 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts
Default RE: NEW DLE30!

ORIGINAL: Tired Old Man

ORIGINAL: Cherokee Flyer

You also missed the part about expanding gases have a cooling effect which will cause the fuel to condense out.

L.
I've found that attempts to educate the masses will always come up with someone that is simply compelled to find something wrong or missing in the earlier tutorial. Of course they never provide teaching material themselves. Most won't remember what they were taught for more than 10 minutes beyond the lesson. Explains why I'll usually only give anwers anymore instead of background and analysis process.

So Jody gave enough material for a simple explanation. If anyone desires a more in depth couse they might consider spending some time in fluid dynamics classes. Those instructors are paid a lot more for their time than someone like Jody who took the time to put his discourse togther for free.

Good job Jody. If they couldn't understand that they wouldn't understand anything with more depth.
Dang there TOM, you must have a serious burr under your saddle today. I can't see where Cherokee Flyer's comment detracted from or criticized Jody's excellent post in any way whatsoever. He simply added an additional comment or point of interest regarding Jody's post. Frankly sir, something you do all the time here in these forums. So I guess your post is criticizing yourself as much as anybody else on here.
Old 12-16-2009, 01:06 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes and no.

Jody gave a very nice, and brief, dissertation about how things work. There was and is a lot of room to delve even further into what happens with an incoming fuel mix, and the various components that effect the conditional effects before reaching the top of a cylinder. I didn't, and still don't, believe any more was needed to get the point across. More simply clutters up the intent of the original post and rasises more areas for discussion, which would not ultimately effect the end result, but would require a lot more time and effort attempting to illuminate those issues for people that would never understand. IOW, lots of additional work with no benefit. Just as is happening here and now.
Old 12-16-2009, 01:21 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

TOM, this is a DLE30 thread right? You have a DLE30, so how are you coming on the mods you taked about doing to prevent the pooling of fuel? No need to go into deep...read a book thing. Just what works or helps and what does not work. Thanks Capt,n
Old 12-16-2009, 01:27 PM
Truckracer

So perhaps we agree, both your original post commenting about Cherokee Flyer's comments and my comments about your comments were unnecessary?! And of course, there were my comments about your comments ..... it goes on and on as you suggest. We've made our points.
Old 12-16-2009, 01:32 PM
OldRookie
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[/quote]
something that i learned in all this years in this hobby(20) and also modifying high performance race cars...is not believe in website specs...just field and race results and test.
[/quote]

So you are saying that Todd Syssa is lying?

Greg
Old 12-16-2009, 01:33 PM
Truckracer

PlaneKrazee,

The cylinder casting on my Syssa looks as good as any cylinder I've ever owned. Frankly, its external appearance is flawless. Can't imagine the DLE being any better.
Old 12-16-2009, 01:44 PM
Truckracer

ORIGINAL: OldRookie
something that i learned in all this years in this hobby(20) and also modifying high performance race cars...is not believe in website specs...just field and race results and test.
[/quote]

So you are saying that Todd Syssa is lying?

Greg
[/quote]

From my Syssa ..... first day out and after the first flight, it was turning a Xoar 18-6 at 8600 with the HS needle set just to the rich side of peak. I think that falls within Todd's spec range and it can only improve from there. Have not tached it since. I've read here the DLE will outperform that.
Old 12-16-2009, 01:57 PM
OldRookie
My Feedback: (13)

I have heard that the DLE will outperform the Syssa also. That is why I wanted someone to post an engine RPM with the Vess 18 X 6 so we can see how much difference there is. I am thinking that it won't be as much as some people think.

Greg
Old 12-16-2009, 02:36 PM
Truckracer

ORIGINAL: OldRookie

I have heard that the DLE will outperform the Syssa also. That is why I wanted someone to post an engine RPM with the Vess 18 X 6 so we can see how much difference there is. I am thinking that it won't be as much as some people think.

Greg
Except for comparing performance on forums such as this, I really didn't care about tach readings on my Syssa. It more than meets my performance expectations in the air and thats what counts. It way out performs the Saito 180 it replaced, it runs smoother than the Saito, it sips fuel and starts effortlessly. I might add it runs in all positions too. No it isn't a perfect engine and few engines are. I'm hanging out here on the DLE thread because I think the future of these smaller engines is great and I have a project in mind where the DLE 30 would be a better physical fit than the Syssa. Hope to see the DLE issues resolved one day soon. DLE performance doesn't seem to be an issue, thats for sure.
Old 12-16-2009, 02:40 PM
VeeAte

Sorry for asking questions that are beneath the people that consider themselves in a class above the rest of us.
Everyone should take a course on fluid dynamics so we can be better modellers.
Throw in some university degrees on physics and aeronautical engineering and we may be approaching Tired Old Man's level of RC modelling competency.
Then you may as well shut down RCU. We will all know everything that can be known and wont have to bother others with such simple questions.

If the questions asked on the forums are too much effort to explain to "the masses" don't reply.

Thanks for your explanation Jody.
Despite my lack of formal training I did comprehend your explanation.

Old 12-16-2009, 02:57 PM
apalsson

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: VeeAte

Then you may as well shut down RCU. We will all know everything that can be known and wont have to bother others with such simple questions.
Don't forget, we will all have learnt the Public Service language and talk in very long sentances
Old 12-16-2009, 03:47 PM
jedijody

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Cherokee Flyer

You also missed the part about expanding gases have a cooling effect which will cause the fuel to condense out.

L.
Ididn't miss it, I intentionally didn't mention it because the cooling is an effect of the expansion, in the DLE30,the expansion is the bad part.Prior to my post it appearedthat a few people wanted to better understand what goes on inside the 30, Ifeltit could be better understoodif it wereexplained in short and with arelatableanalogy. As I said, induction design is a science in itself and can get very complicated very fast, much more could have been written but I, and I'm sure everyone else, would prefer discussion on the topic to focus on how it relates to the DLE30 and in a form that most all can comprehend.

I didn't take your comment as finding deficiency in my commentary but it's exactly why I simplified it down to how it all relates specificallyto the DLE30. I'veseen many comments on what may cause or contribute tothe pooling but it's obvious that theywere not formed from study of the30 itself orin some cases a usable understanding of the properties of the components involved. That is why I used the analogy I did, something everyone haswith results anyone could reproduce. Further understanding requires handson investment andstudywith a disassembled engine.
Old 12-16-2009, 05:00 PM
Cherokee Flyer

It was intended as an addition, you said it very well.

L.
Old 12-16-2009, 05:14 PM
FOOPED
My Feedback: (8)

Hey millertym2000 I have the Ultimate 120 from Nitro Models and have a CRRC Pro 26 in it. Over all wt is 10+ and it flys really well. In fact It is my favorite plane. The engine does hang out of the cowl and had to cut away for the muffler but it still looks pretty good. Nitro has this plane on for 199.00 bucks right now. I did have to hang the servoes a little different for the elevator. I do not like wire link to put elevator halves together. The plane is fast and more areobatic than I know how to do and land very stable no stall problems. Knife edge is easy and stright. Do not know what plane you are wanting to put the DLE-30 in. Oh and by the way the spects seem to be the same for the nitro and the cyclone 30cc ultimate even if it listed different. Mine is the yellow and white.
Old 12-16-2009, 05:50 PM
Lifer

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Jody,

Would the new plug design of the nkg cm-6 help with the DL 30 cc. ? It is a platinum plug design, I believe? Would it fire with a hotter spark and at least help with the issue?

Thanks in advance!
Old 12-16-2009, 07:42 PM
jedijody

I doubt it would make a difference, platinum is used on the firing end of a spark plug for a different reason. It makes the plug more resistant to fouling and gives it a longer service life, I don't think it would enable it to ignite large, heavy, globs of fuel, might be a lifetime spark plug though.
Old 12-16-2009, 07:51 PM
PlaneKrazee
My Feedback: (14)

ORIGINAL: Truckracer

PlaneKrazee,

The cylinder casting on my Syssa looks as good as any cylinder I've ever owned. Frankly, its external appearance is flawless. Can't imagine the DLE being any better.
I have seen photos in the other thread that show some rough casting on the top fins.

As far as the Syssa muffler is concerned, the engine is close coupled, the single exhaust of the dle is located about as far back as the two Syssa stacks. A properly designed Pitts style muffler does not lower rpm, only db.
Old 12-16-2009, 08:53 PM
captinjohn

ORIGINAL: jedijody

I doubt it would make a difference, platinum is used on the firing end of a spark plug for a different reason. It makes the plug more resistant to fouling and gives it a longer service life, I don't think it would enable it to ignite large, heavy, globs of fuel, might be a lifetime spark plug though.
How about heat range of the spark plug. Maybe a tad hotter...but I am guessing there is not much to choose from in heat ranges with the plug style. Thanks Capt,n
Old 12-16-2009, 09:07 PM
MKnutson

So Jody,
Can we stuff the rear intake case on this thing to keep the velocity up, or will it cut down on the top end?

Mark
Old 12-16-2009, 09:27 PM
jedijody

Yes, it has been done with good results but it's easier to just mount the engine with the plug at about 7:30 clock position. The stuffer in the pictures had no effect on the top end.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj23945.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	1335936   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy79629.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	1335937   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fk16442.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	1335938   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sl26942.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	1335939  
Old 12-16-2009, 09:45 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Nice looking stuffer prosthetic. You did a good job
Old 12-16-2009, 10:56 PM
captinjohn

I made a device that took some time to get done and on engine that has good promise. I ran my DLE 30 in 23 degree weather. It seems to really help. I am uploading it to photo bucket to view. I wl ilhave a link for that. The video will speak for itself. Thanks, Capt,n
Old 12-16-2009, 11:15 PM
craigteffe
My Feedback: (24)

Yes, it has been done with good results but it's easier to just mount the engine with the plug at about 7:30 clock position. The stuffer in the pictures had no effect on the top end.
Jody, Have you found anyone who can make these yet since DLEdoes not seem to want to do anything? Iwould like to purchase another engine but I will not, untill this issueis resolved. Weather its the stuffer or whatever.
Old 12-17-2009, 01:54 AM
gen3v8

DLE 30 in Nitro 120 bipe. 203km/h downwind out of a dive last Sunday.Well it certanly did not do it anywhere else in the flight. Garmin forerunner101 GPS on board
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us55318.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	105.5 KB
ID:	1336160  
Old 12-17-2009, 03:25 AM
Nutzz

ORIGINAL: craigteffe

Jody, Have you found anyone who can make these yet since DLE does not seem to want to do anything? I would like to purchase another engine but I will not, untill this issue is resolved. Weather its the stuffer or whatever.
I will have 3 of those if the sort out my issues (which I belive they will), I just want to thank Jody for the information provided on this site as he has described and explained the problems I am seeing with 2 of my DLEs, to tell you the truth I think probably 90% of average pilots will not see the problems.

Keep up the good work Jody and as for the haters....................................

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.