Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

15cc Gas RCGF engine information thread

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

15cc Gas RCGF engine information thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2010, 12:25 PM
misfitsailor
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 15cc Gas RCGF engine information thread

I Bought a RCGF 15cc from Agape in August 2010. Although I have lots of glow engine experience, this is my first try at gasoline powered flight.

The problem I am having is this: The engine starts and runs great, but when I rev it up past a few thousand RPM the servos go nuts. I have done enough break-in to fly now. Very frustrating...

Here are the things I have tried so far to fix the problem:

I moved the RX, radio battery and switch back to the tail of the fuselage.

I changed to a non-metallic throttle pushrod.

I moved the ignition to the extreme fwd end of the fuse, along with it's battery and switch.

The ignition uses a separate battery and switch, far from the radio battery and switch.

I tried 50 MHZ PCM, and 72 MHZ RXs, but no joy. (No, I still don't use 2.4 GHZ.)

I am using the stock ignition with the fully-shielded plug wire and all-metal cap provided, and the stock CM-6 plug. And yes, the cap is all the way on tight!

There are no metal to metal radio noise issues.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks
Old 12-31-2010, 12:35 PM
Aircraft Modelers Research Inc
My Feedback: (2)

Hello, did you try this ,Dielectric grease

It happens with a RCS25cc engine while ago, since I put this on the spak plug connector , problem was resolved

Michel
Old 12-31-2010, 02:00 PM
gsmith6879
My Feedback: (37)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: misfitsailor

I Bought a RCGF 15cc from Agape in August 2010. Although I have lots of glow engine experience, this is my first try at gasoline powered flight.

The problem I am having is this: The engine starts and runs great, but when I rev it up past a few thousand RPM the servos go nuts. I have done enough break-in to fly now. Very frustrating...

Here are the things I have tried so far to fix the problem:

I moved the RX, radio battery and switch back to the tail of the fuselage.

I changed to a non-metallic throttle pushrod.

I moved the ignition to the extreme fwd end of the fuse, along with it's battery and switch.

The ignition uses a separate battery and switch, far from the radio battery and switch.

I tried 50 MHZ PCM, and 72 MHZ RXs, but no joy. (No, I still don't use 2.4 GHZ.)

I am using the stock ignition with the fully-shielded plug wire and all-metal cap provided, and the stock CM-6 plug. And yes, the cap is all the way on tight!

There are no metal to metal radio noise issues.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks
I had a similar problem. It turned out to be the cheap spark plug they ship with these engines. When I installed an NGK CM-6 the problem went away. Try the Dielectric grease and the NGK plug.
Old 12-31-2010, 03:00 PM
misfitsailor
My Feedback: (6)

OK, dielectric grease in hand now, 2 new NGK CM-6 plugs on the way. May take a week to get them, then I will try again.
Thanks for the input.
I will post again to say if it works or not!

Happy New Year, chaps!
Old 12-31-2010, 03:15 PM
Aircraft Modelers Research Inc
My Feedback: (2)

Happy new year ;-)

Let us know if it works better
Old 01-02-2011, 07:18 PM
ezflyr
My Feedback: (32)

Hi All,

I've had a Hangar 9 Pawnee ARF on the shelf for a few years, and a suitable small gas engine may prompt me to finally assemble and fly it! Would this engine be a good fit for this airplane?

http://hangar-9.com/Products/Default...ProdID=HAN4030

Opinions?

Thanks!

John
Old 01-03-2011, 11:58 AM
gsmith6879
My Feedback: (37)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: ezflyr

Hi All,

I've had a Hangar 9 Pawnee ARF on the shelf for a few years, and a suitable small gas engine may prompt me to finally assemble and fly it! Would this engine be a good fit for this airplane?

http://hangar-9.com/Products/Default...ProdID=HAN4030

Opinions?

Thanks!

John
Based on my experiences with the 15cc engines on my Bronco and watching my buddy's H9 Pawnee fly on 4 stroke, I would say it should be a good engine for this airplane. The engine runs great and should be more than adequate power. Just remember you will be adding some extra weight with the ignition system.
Old 01-03-2011, 02:48 PM
ezflyr
My Feedback: (32)

Hi,

Thanks for the reply!

I've got to look at this application carefully! The Pawnee requires that the thrust washer of the engine be 4.625" ahead of the firewall, while the RCGF 15cc engine shows this dimension to be 5.375". That is a 0.75" difference that I'd have to makeup by cutting the firewall and recessing the engine by that amount. I've got to take a look and see if that is possible or not?

I guess I'll order an engine and see how it looks!

Thanks,

John
Old 01-07-2011, 06:49 PM
estuardopassa

Hello to all
I buy one of this engine RCGF 15cc i was thinking to use this in a Seawind 71' form Tower Hobbies
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXKEW6&P=ML
and the maximun propeller that can use is 13 you think this engine will pull this plane

Thanks
Old 01-25-2011, 08:19 AM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This airplane looks good! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5nra...layer_embedded#!
Old 02-11-2011, 04:56 PM
justplaneroger

Hi although I have been R/C flying since 1974 this type of discusion is new to me so please forgive me if I make mistakes.I have been reading through your discusions on the 15cc rcgf gas engine it all sounds great.I have just aquired a Pica (Formally Dave Platt)60 size T28B have been after one for years.I think one of these engines would suit this plane very well .Can any one give me some dimensions on it.The Pica Cowl is roughly 5 7/8 wide at the rear and 5 1/8 deep just wondering if it would fit inside this.I also have a Dave Platt T28B plan I received from RCM this one is also a 60 size but has a much larger cowling but the canopy is still the same size as the Pica kit well pretty close any way.Your comments would be much appreciated.
Old 02-21-2011, 03:34 PM
RcMan2011

what is the closet gas engine to a .75 AX Os Engine?
Old 02-21-2011, 08:00 PM
aussiesteve

ORIGINAL: RcMan2011

what is the closet gas engine to a .75 AX Os Engine?
[link]http://www.valleyviewrc.com/JBA%2015cc%20Gas%20Engine.htm[/link]

Great product supplied from a company with a proven track record of great support and product knowledge.
Old 03-02-2011, 11:59 AM
Telmaster
My Feedback: (106)

So. Did you ever get your problem fixed?
Old 03-02-2011, 01:06 PM
$ircra$halot

Hey and greetings
I have had one of these on a Goldberg tiger 60 for about a year and it comes close to the performence of my surpass 91, not quite there. I do have 1 problem though. over the past several months the carb has been acting up. I sent it to the place I bought it. The guy that worked on it said the high end circit was dirty, cleaned it, and included a nice stone type filter free of charge. It worked great for approx 8 flights then I started having problems again. Come to find out, the needle that would be for the float on a car is hanging open. I changed it and it was good for another few flights. This happens within 6 or so flights every time. I bought a rebuild kit and changed the needle, each time cleaning the entire carb by spraying carb cleaner through each passage both directions and chasing it with compressed air. Yet within 6 flights I have to do it again. My understanding is that these carbs are a chinese knock off of a walbro. Does anybody know where to get a regular walbro that will work on the rcgf 15, and what the part # would be for it?
Thanks good thread
$ircra$halot
Old 03-02-2011, 02:01 PM
yearnin to Fly
My Feedback: (52)

Call Jim at Agape racing, He has the 15cc carbs in stock. And He has reasonable prices. 804-550-9584
Old 03-02-2011, 02:30 PM
aussiesteve

If your carb is working fine but is blocking up consistently, it is probably not the carb that is at fault.

Old fuel, some oils and some oils in too high a ratio will cause what you are seeing. More oil is better for an engine but too much of some oils is bad.
Old 03-02-2011, 04:47 PM
$ircra$halot

I am useing amzoil 85 to 1. I do plan to reduce the oil content more because it throws oil reidue all over the wing. It has worked on more oil content then that in the past Like 40 to 1 amsoil, I've been reducing the oil content with every gal. almost 5 gals now. It does not even foul the plug, and runs great. I have changed the plug but eventually put the original back in and it works great. I cant help to think there might be a machining flaw in the needle seat, that is small enough it can't be seen with my tired eyes since it only goes a few flights before the needle hangs open and it floods again. Thanks for the suggestion it is worth checking into, especially since it is still throwing residue all over the wing. I'm going to 90 to 1 on the next gal! Amzoil suggest 100 to 1.
Thanks again
$ircra$halot
Old 03-06-2011, 01:45 PM
BlackPowder

Well I got my RCGF 15cc engine in October and My AW X260 40-60 size for Christmas. Here it is March and I finally got time to put it all together. Hoping to maden it Tuesday. Here are some pictures without the wings. Jim
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz77455.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	1574314   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs58696.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	1574315  
Old 03-06-2011, 03:28 PM
$ircra$halot

Niiiiiiiiiice. Where did you get the exhaust system? I have a cowl for a cap 221 that I want to put on my Tiger 60 but the exhaust would have me carve up the cowl pretty bad. By the way I stretched the little spring that holds the float needle closed just a tiny bit and so far so good.
$ircra$halot
Old 03-06-2011, 07:58 PM
BlackPowder

It's an Aerovate muffler from Kondor Model Products for an Aervate 15cc engine but it fits perfect. Jim
Old 03-07-2011, 05:35 AM
$ircra$halot

Thanks Jim I'll check in to that.
$ircra$halot
Old 03-08-2011, 04:09 PM
BlackPowder

Ok, tried a maden today but it was cold and windy. Could not get the engine to run unless I primed it, but does'nt seem to be pulling gas from fuel tank. I think that maybe my tank is too low and far back for this little engine, any thoughts? Jim
Old 03-08-2011, 04:21 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The carb should be able to pull fuel from two feet below the plane
Old 03-08-2011, 06:28 PM
$ircra$halot

Try opening the low end up some. If I remember, it is recommended to adjust the top end first but in order to get it started you may have to start with the low end. I always use an electric starter on my smaller gas engines because I've not had good luck flipping them by hand. OFD don't ya know.
$ircra$halot

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.