Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

DLE 20cc Gasser! (Data & Links 1st Post)

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

DLE 20cc Gasser! (Data & Links 1st Post)

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 05:44 PM
scooterinvegas
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: NEW DLE 20cc Gasser! (Data & Links 1st Post)

ORIGINAL:
I took mine apart for inspection after 2 galons.
If you bought a new car, would you tare the engine apart after two tanks of gas just to look inside?
Old 06-01-2011, 05:58 PM
ghoffman
My Feedback: (3)

I must admit, I have not taken apart my new Chevy Suburban since I got it Feb 15. My 2 DLE-20's run great, when they stop doing that I will call Jody, until then, I am having a blast flying them.
Old 06-01-2011, 06:00 PM
jedijody

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Eggactly! That's what I tried to say above but what happened to the text? 

If it was running good, felt good, and seemed happy, why take it apart?

The fuel drop on your choke lever is not abnormal. Raising the compression ratio by building up carbon is not exactly reliable, consistent, or desirable.
Old 06-01-2011, 07:48 PM
scooterinvegas

ORIGINAL: jedijody

Raising the compression ratio by building up carbon is not exactly reliable, consistent, or desirable.
Maybe high temp JB weld?
Old 06-01-2011, 08:00 PM
alex_scratch_built

OK OK!

I had put a bowman ring before I started it. Then it stalled a few time on me so I wanted to take the carb apart to see if I had any metal shavings or if any screws were loose.

Then I saw a crapload of gunk on my sparkplug and on top of the piston. Since this is my 1st gasser, I figured I would check what was going on...

So my main question remains: Will the ring seat completally or is the cylinder so out of round that the ring will never fully seat?

Oh and sorry for asking stupid questions
Old 06-01-2011, 08:33 PM
jedijody

How do you know the cylinder is out of round? What are you using as criteria to determine if the ring is sealing to the cylinder or not, can you post pictures of the ring from all four sides?
Old 06-01-2011, 11:33 PM
a1pcfixer
My Feedback: (7)

Eggactly! That's what I tried to say above but what happened to the text?
When you hit reply, your browser had the focus. But as you typed, something
else on your PC stole that focus (something in the background updating), and
you ended up with a blank post.

Pisses ya off the longer ya type without looking at the screen.[:@]
Old 06-02-2011, 06:18 AM
alex_scratch_built

I see it if I look inside the cylinder between the exhaust port and the TDC. I can clearly see the wear pattern of the ring and there are small areas where the ring never touched the cylinder. I am looking at the cylinder, not the ring.

Like I said it's not much but I am sure I could get slightly better compresseion. I'll try to get a picture up but It's not easy to focus inside a cylinder with a camera that has automatic focus only!

Anyway I have always disasembled my engines before I start them. In about 5 nitro engines I've had, I found debris in them.. This is why I take stuff apart sometimes and actually I kind of enjoy it
Old 06-02-2011, 12:40 PM
RiverLarry

O K we seam to have some one else who likes to tinker !! tear it down to see what make it ticks I like that in a person !!!
just need to rember how it goes back togather the little 20 are a work of art !!! when i took the carb off I got excided !!! R/L

Old 06-02-2011, 05:11 PM
the pope

How do you know the cylinder is out of round? What are you using as criteria to determine if the ring is sealing to the cylinder or not, can you post pictures of the ring from all four sides?
Are rings square? I didnt know dat. What version of stupid am I? cheers the pope
Old 06-02-2011, 10:34 PM
jedijody

Down under stupid

I'm certain you know what I was asking, rings aren't square, they're rectangular.
Old 06-03-2011, 12:07 AM
the pope

Down under stupid

I'm certain you know what I was asking, rings aren't square, they're rectangular.
Exactly.It pays to get it right, u never know what dumbasses are lurking around. cheers the pope
Old 06-03-2011, 03:19 AM
RiverLarry

All Right !!! This is what this Hobby is all about,

WehaveJody out on the west cost !!! who purty much has all his ducks in a row !!!

Wehave the Pope aka (DOWNUNDERBLUNDER ) whoseames to be able to Laftat him self !!! and has fun doing it (( Like Me))

A1PCFIXER in the mid west !!!who like Jody has his ducks doing there thing !!!!!

And a number of wild men on the east cost !!!! who has it togather also !!!!

Boy it isA lot more FUN when weall ((PlayNICE)) and have fun doing it !!!!MY $0.02 !!!

I just wish we lived a lot closer togather we could have one heck of a FUN FLYR/L

Old 06-03-2011, 03:52 AM
iflywhenican

"PIE R ROUND, CORNBREAD R SQUARE!!!!
Old 06-04-2011, 07:17 PM
spitfire66

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Hello!

I am considering buying the dle 20 and replacing my YS 91 FZ engine due to the cost of fuel. This is to go into my hangar 9 spitfire and would like to know any pros and cons from those with experience with the dle 20. I believe the engine will fit, but probably require the jtec pitts muffler to keep within the cowling. Sorry I have not had time to read the thread yet, but from what I gather the power will be better, better fuel consumption, and less mess. The weight of the 2 believe it or not are the same, within an ounce or two. Please let me know your thoughts. Thank you.

Shannon
Old 06-05-2011, 01:24 AM
a1pcfixer
My Feedback: (7)

Shannon,

At the very least read the very first msg, post #1.
Old 06-05-2011, 09:16 AM
SpinnerRow

ORIGINAL: spitfire66

Hello!

I am considering buying the dle 20 and replacing my YS 91 FZ engine due to the cost of fuel. This is to go into my hangar 9 spitfire and would like to know any pros and cons from those with experience with the dle 20. I believe the engine will fit, but probably require the jtec pitts muffler to keep within the cowling. Sorry I have not had time to read the thread yet, but from what I gather the power will be better, better fuel consumption, and less mess. The weight of the 2 believe it or not are the same, within an ounce or two. Please let me know your thoughts. Thank you.

Shannon
I replaced a Saito 1.00 with a DLE 20 in my World Models P-51. Couldn't be happier!
Old 06-05-2011, 12:30 PM
jsallade

I replaced a Saito 125 (which I loved... didn't love the $22/gal fuel it loved!) on my GP RV-4 with the DLE-20. Messed with several props and just settled on a Xoar 17x6. Turns 8500 RPM (checked with the DLE tach connected to the ignition) and pulls the RV-4 (10+ lbs) with unlimited vertical. A perfect match and only ends up about 3-4 ounces heavier all up than when I had the Saito mounted. Made a few other minor changes to make up for that and came out about the same weight and a fair boost in power. Used to run a 16x6W APC on the Saito in the same RPM range. If we tied them tail to tail, this thing would pull your 91 equipped plane around backward. If the weight change doesn't cause an issue (watch your balance) and you can fit it in the aircraft you will not be sorry.

One note. Get ready for some noise. My DLE 20 seems about as noisy on the ground as my 55 and both are running stock mufflers... OK, really they are exhaust diverters. They shouldn't be called mufflers! That's all the bad I can find with these. Otherwise it's been a great little engine so far.
Old 06-05-2011, 06:46 PM
spitfire66

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Hello!

Thank you for the information guys. My onlyconcern is with fitting in the cowling, but I think that can be overcome with a pitts style muffler. Post #1 is excellent information and I tried using the search function before posting but didn't have too much time to go through to much of the thread. Thank you all for the information. I will be buying the engine in early july when I get back and let you know how it works out with lots of pics in my h9 spitfire. If anyone else has pics I would sure like to see them.

Happy flying.
Old 06-06-2011, 03:19 PM
laryboy
My Feedback: (2)

exscuse me for butting in on dle thread , but i know very knowledgeable people are posting here. i have a rcgf 20, that when i had the carb off, i dropped the reed block ( the black thing) and not sure which way it goes back. there is a screw sticking through the block.should i be nearest the fins or bottom of engine ?......................larry
Old 06-07-2011, 03:30 PM
WindGap
My Feedback: (3)

Vibration caused the throttle arm screw to come off on takeoff.  I was on 3/4 to full throttle till gas ran out-deadstick landing maiden.  Eager to maiden, I was hoping to install an engine cutoff on a subsequent flight.  Live and learn.

Anyone have this problem?  Did you loctite that screw in?  Also, as a preventative measure, I used a ball-link on the control arm.  Lotsa screws came off due to vibration.

How much cowl should I remove to expose engine to airflow?  
Old 06-07-2011, 03:53 PM
mschulz531

ORIGINAL: WindGap

Vibration caused the throttle arm screw to come off on takeoff. I was on 3/4 to full throttle till gas ran out-deadstick landing maiden. Eager to maiden, I was hoping to install an engine cutoff on a subsequent flight. Live and learn.
Anyone have this problem? Did you loctite that screw in? Also, as a preventative measure, I used a ball-link on the control arm. Lotsa screws came off due to vibration.
How much cowl should I remove to expose engine to airflow?
I had a similar experience; fortunately it happened on the ground while I was running up the engine, suddenly the throttle started responding strangely, and inspection showed the linkage was slipping. Good thing I brought my loc-tite to the field; it was a quick fix...glad it happened on the ground instead of in the air.
-Mike

Old 06-08-2011, 02:23 AM
RiverLarry

Loc- tite is great !!! it is like a credet card dont leave home with out it
the red sometimes needs to be heated up a little to get off
heat the end of tool a little insert and wait a short time befor you try to take off
Try to change over to hex drive as much as posoble and be cairful when plastic parts are in the mix
a little common sence gose a long way hear R/L
Old 06-08-2011, 01:07 PM
Me410

Sorry for not reading through all the post if the answer is there.

I am considering a DLE20 in a Dave Platt ME109 G. The plane has a 77inch wingspan andshould weigh 16-17 LB. I have read that this plane flys fine on a OS108 so i would think the DLE20 would do the trick. But i don't want to end up underpowered as we have alot of trees around our field, so i need a reasonable steady climb out.

I am done with glow fuel, too messy, costly, need a big tank, etc.

Thank you for any help here, as it will be difficult to put a larger engine in after it's built.

Tom
Old 06-08-2011, 01:49 PM
microdon2
My Feedback: (47)

Me410 - I'd say for a plane that size a DLE20 would be underpowered. I'd go with a DLE30 instead. It's 50% more horsepower (2.5hp vs 3.7hp) and thrust (5.3kg vs 8.5kg) for only $50 more and another 9oz total weight (1lb 13oz vs 2lb 6oz). Plus I'm guessing it would fit easily. Even if you're flying scale, I'd rather have extra power than not.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.