Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

DLE 20cc Gasser! (Data & Links 1st Post)

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

DLE 20cc Gasser! (Data & Links 1st Post)

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 10:10 AM
JNorton
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: NEW DLE 20cc Gasser! (Data & Links 1st Post)

Hmmm.. The advertising says the Syssa is optically isolated and it has an LED on it to indicate whether it is on or off. It is an IBEC so it only uses one battery but technically there is no reason why it should not be a very good kill switch. Optically isolated kill switches are ridiculously easy to make, there are lots of schematics on the web. Whether or not it is a good battery replacement for an ignition battery is another story.
John
Old 10-27-2010, 10:27 AM
ahicks

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

ORIGINAL: JNorton

Thanks - If I may ask another question - what voltage does it regulate the ignition to?
John
I would call Todd, don't remember for sure. I am sensitive to the issue regarding voltage over 6v going to the ignition module, so I'm sure it's at/under that.

I have not seen many claims of trouble induced by the use of an IBEC recently, but admit I may just be under informed. Regarding the lack of incentive to run an IBEC, I would respectfully disagree, but I just put a plane in due to either a stalled rudder servo or total loss of power to the receiver and may have a rather slanted opinion. FWIW
Old 10-27-2010, 10:33 AM
RoyR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: billhass

Quieting the stock muffler on the DLE 20 and 30 engines.
This is what I did and you will not beleive how good it works.
Go to a Hardware store, or Lowe's and buy a Lint trap that is used on washing machines.
They are made of stainless steel mesh.
Do not unroll. Cut off the end, then cut off another piece about 1'' wide. Take the rolled up
piece and stuff it into the exhaust stack so it is flush with the end. Now take the 1'' piece cut into two pieces,
take one of the pieces and put it over the end of the exhaust stack. Use a hose clamp to hold it in place.
This will keep the rolled piece from coming out of the exhaust stack.
I have used this on both a 20 & 30 CC engine.
I have not notice any loss in power.
The next thing is to try and use less of the rolled up piece by cutting off 1/4'' at a time until it becomes too loud again.
The traps I bought from the hardware only cost $2.00
That's fine, but I love noise. Want mine louder!!
Old 10-27-2010, 11:06 AM
DaleD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: a1pcfixer

Most true ign kill systems' only link to the reciever is for the On/Off function.
They are optically isolated from any direct connection to the receiver.

Can someone please explain how optical isolation works in ignition kill systems?

Thanks
DaleD
Old 10-27-2010, 11:51 AM
Woody218
My Feedback: (24)

Thanks - If I may ask another question - what voltage does it regulate the ignition to?
John
It doesn't regulate power. It takes whatever the source voltage is coming off the receiver. I use a 2 cell LiPo pack through a 5.1v voltage regulator to power the receiver, and the same 5.1 volts also goes from the receiver to the IBEC.
Old 10-27-2010, 11:56 AM
ahicks

ORIGINAL: Woody218-RCU

John
It doesn't regulate power. It takes whatever the source voltage is coming off the receiver. I use a 2 cell LiPo pack through a 5.1v voltage regulator to power the receiver, and the same 5.1 volts also goes from the receiver to the IBEC.
From the web site add:
" You can use ANY battery chemistry and voltage you wish on your RX thanks to the on-board, true voltage regulator."

Old 10-27-2010, 12:01 PM
Woody218

ORIGINAL: ahicks

ORIGINAL: Woody218-RCU

John
From the web site add:
'' You can use ANY battery chemistry and voltage you wish on your RX thanks to the on-board, true voltage regulator.''

Yes, the one Syssa sells DOES have a regulator, I have been using one sold by TBM that doesn't regulate the ignition power. I recently picked up one of the IBECs that Todd sells, and that one is going on my DLE 20.

Several of us here locally have been using IBECs with absolutely zero problems.
Old 10-27-2010, 12:50 PM
a1pcfixer
My Feedback: (7)

ORIGINAL: DaleD

Most true ign kill systems' only link to the reciever is for the On/Off function.
They are optically isolated from any direct connection to the receiver.

Can someone please explain how optical isolation works in ignition kill systems?

Thanks
DaleD
One example is; take a strand of fiber optics and with a light source on one end, place
it outside a glass pane. Take another strand of fiber optic and place it on the other side
of the glass pane, in direct alignment with the first strand outside.

The strand outside is the transmitter, the strand on the other side is the receiver unit.
Hence, no direct electrical connection.

The fiber optic cable is easily seen in the Smart-Fly Ign Kill System (seperate unit).
[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/article_display.cfm?article_id=375]How to install Ign Kill system....[/link]
Old 10-27-2010, 01:10 PM
JNorton

So I'll ask again. Does anybody know what voltage the Syssa IBEC delivers to the ignition? If it is 4.8 to 5 volts I'm going to seriously consider it.
Thanks,
John
Old 10-27-2010, 01:14 PM
a1pcfixer

I have not seen many claims of trouble induced by the use of an IBEC recently, but admit I may just be under informed. Regarding the lack of incentive to run an IBEC, I would respectfully disagree, but I just put a plane in due to either a stalled rudder servo or total loss of power to the receiver and may have a rather slanted opinion. FWIW
There ya go, a stalled servo causing voltage spike and drained the receiver batteries. Using an IBEC the ign was tied into the receiver power.
It probably would have crashed anyway, but having them with seperate batteries might have given a slightly better chance to land safely....maybe.

IBEC' are a viable option for ign kills, but for reasons like that above, they'll never be my first choice!
Yet, they're better than nothing.

This DLE20cc (and all gassers IMHO) deserves better!
Old 10-27-2010, 01:24 PM
ahicks

Sorry, but if the plane that went in had the setup I'm now flying, with BOTH 2000 ma batteries powering the receiver through 2 seperate switches, I'm pretty sure it would be alive today. The setup it went in with was 1 battery on ign, the other on the receiver....no redundancy at all, no reserve power on the reciever buss! The increased potential for trouble with that setup over what it is now should be obvious? Do as you please....

There ya go, a stalled servo causing voltage spike and drained the receiver batteries. Using an IBEC the ign was tied into the receiver power.
It probably would have crashed anyway, but having them with seperate batteries might have given a slightly better chance to land safely....maybe.

IBEC' are a viable option for ign kills, but for reasons like that above, they'll never be my first choice!
Yet, they're better than nothing.

This DLE20cc (and all gassers IMHO) deserves better!
Old 10-27-2010, 01:34 PM
a1pcfixer

Sorry, but if the plane that went in had the setup I'm now flying, with BOTH 2000 ma batteries powering the receiver through 2 seperate switches, I'm pretty sure it would be alive today. The setup it went in with was 1 battery on ign, the other on the receiver....no redundancy at all, no reserve power on the reciever buss! The increased potential for trouble with that setup over what it is now should be obvious? Do as you please....
Exactly!
Old 10-27-2010, 02:04 PM
ahicks

So I'll ask again. Does anybody know what voltage the Syssa IBEC delivers to the ignition? If it is 4.8 to 5 volts I'm going to seriously consider it.
Thanks,
John

Just called them (they're easy to get in touch with). They say 5.4 volts.
Old 10-27-2010, 02:06 PM
Richard D Bahmann aka/Wrongway
My Feedback: (42)

I had a receiver go bad once....right in the middle of the flight.....

Didn't loose the plane....still flying one receiver though... To each his own...you are the master of your ship.

Have a buddy that had his transmitter go bad while flying....[:@]
Old 10-27-2010, 02:48 PM
Woody218

As I stated earlier, there are multiple guys I know who are flying up to 50cc aircraft with an IBEC, or the diode harness from the receiver to the ignition module, and none of us have experienced any problems.

Your mileage may vary...
Old 10-27-2010, 03:15 PM
JNorton

Thanks,
John

Just called them (they're easy to get in touch with). They say 5.4 volts.
Thanks for the information.
Old 10-27-2010, 03:27 PM
Experten109/40
My Feedback: (-1)

I may have missed it, but has anybody spun a 16x6 3-blade (or 16 x ??? 3-blade)on this engine yet?
curious on what rpms/thrust it would have. thanks.
Old 10-27-2010, 03:42 PM
a1pcfixer

ORIGINAL: P-40K-5

I may have missed it, but has anybody spun a 16x6 3-blade (or 16 x ??? 3-blade) on this engine yet?
curious on what rpms/thrust it would have. thanks.
I don't (yet) remember seeing anyone state they had. Some others mentioning of 3-bladed props though.

Still waiting for the first flyer to post on a twin or even quad set of DLE20cc's on a model!
Video/audio of THAT will be awesome!!!
Old 10-27-2010, 03:51 PM
mschulz531

I would love to see/hear DLE-20's on a twin, perhaps a B-25?!

Old 10-27-2010, 04:16 PM
a1pcfixer

ORIGINAL: mschulz531

I would love to see/hear DLE-20's on a twin, perhaps a B-25?!

That one, or; A-20, B-18 , B-26, B-17 Flying Fortress, P-38, Lancaster, Halifax, etc, etc.
Maybe next year someone will have one of them setup with DLE20cc's?
Old 10-27-2010, 06:43 PM
rc34074
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Has anyone tried high pitch props on the dle20? Say maybe a 14-12 or 14-14? Or some other almost "square" prop? I was just wondering what this engine could do in a speed application on a plane like a 60 size midget mustang? Maybe on its side to reduce drag, possibly with a tuned pipe?

Just curious.

ed
Old 10-27-2010, 09:46 PM
g_mkoch

Well, I just maidened my Spot-On 120 pattern plane today win an OS 120AX in front. The plane flys beutifull, but I have a problem. The plane is designed with the fuel tank on the belly (designed around the presurized system of the YS110) and on the up lines the tanks ends up being one feet below the carb line. My question is this, from what I read the DLE20 is a drop in replacement for the 120AX in size/weight/power will the DLE20 solve my problems being the carburator able to pull fuel from such a distance?
Old 10-27-2010, 10:22 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Yes
Old 10-27-2010, 10:31 PM
opwan

Overkill is in the eye of the beholder!
ORIGINAL: tkg

So the 90 sized U can DO we have been flying for a year with the DLE 30 is a bad idea??
It is fun
TKG

ORIGINAL: airborne2.4

Do you think the DLE 20cc would work well with this for 3D?
http://www.aero-works.net/store/detail.aspx?ID=75
Still a wee bit overkill, but better suited to THAT particular model, would be this....

[link=http://www.valleyviewrc.com/JBA%2015cc%20Gas%20Engine.htm]JBA J15G 15cc gas engines.....[/link]
Old 10-27-2010, 10:39 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I use a Saito 125 in my You Can Do 60 and it seems just right.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.