RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Gas Engines (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-engines-142/)
-   -   Twin 60 CC (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-engines-142/10952984-twin-60-cc.html)

DaleD 02-16-2012 05:54 AM

RE: Twin 60 CC

ORIGINAL: karolh

Richard only one word truly describes your latest creation .... AWESOME.

Karol
+1
Truly an adventure reading this thread and looking forward to your updates Richard. Having recently bought a 30% Extra 300, Iam definitely anxious to hear from you about the performance.

Keep up the GREAT work.

DaleD

bgw45 02-16-2012 07:52 AM

CW, I have enjoyed the integrity and precision of your work. I wish you the best with this project. Thanks, Bill Glen-Walker

captinjohn 02-16-2012 08:25 AM

ORIGINAL: DaleD

ORIGINAL: karolh

Richard only one word truly describes your latest creation .... AWESOME.

Karol
+1
Truly an adventure reading this thread and looking forward to your updates Richard. Having recently bought a 30% Extra 300, Iam definitely anxious to hear from you about the performance.

Keep up the GREAT work.

DaleD
I agree ....some of the best work I have seen done. I am on vacation in FLORIDA right now...kinda wondering about going to a Giant scale fly in. PM me anybody if you got any Fly-ins in mind. Thanks Capt,n.

Cyberwolf 02-18-2012 04:14 PM

Hi Guys I got the ign in and did the timing and set the engine up on a test stand .
It fired right up W/O any issues while I was letting it warm up some I was looking at the hub and crank end which seemed to be running true, but I hit the gas and things moved a little and I seen some runout at idle that was not there before. So right now I need to get a few bugs out of things, so maybe later next week I can have it running the way I want.
I will say this much for the 5 mins or so I had the engine running it was very smooth and very easy to start. 4 flips with the choke and a pop, 3 flips W/O choke got it going.

karolh 02-18-2012 04:37 PM

Pretty sure you will have it purring like a kitten in no time. Sure hope it meets or exceeds your expectations.

Karol

Super08 02-18-2012 04:38 PM

Thanks for the update Richard. Hopefully it turns out to be a non-issuse and is a quick fix.

RTK 02-18-2012 06:12 PM

Very Nice

Edwin 02-18-2012 08:02 PM

Subscribed!
Edwin

Cyberwolf 02-19-2012 04:29 AM

Here's the deal in a nut shell, I didn't heat treat the center disk that holds the crank halfs together, I really didn't see any need to at the time, but it appears the dowels actually swelled the holes somewhat and left less than a disirable press on the pins which in turn allowed the crank to turn on itself.
I should have this little issue fixed and be up and going by the end of the week.

coronabob 02-21-2012 10:11 AM

Cyberwolf,

Makes me want one even more. Things you don't know until you try, right? Come on Mr. Heat Treater!

Cyberwolf 02-25-2012 04:51 PM

OK guys I got in my parts and made a new disk that's now heat treated and harder than the back of most folks heads *L* I almost made it a dogbone style this time but went with the original design for better crankcase stuffing.
I need to back up here a little bit, when reassembling the new crank and items everything went fine untill I tightened down the hub Nut/Bolt and it locked the engine back up again, that took me a few to figure out just what in the heck was going on. So down it came once more only this time I removed the breaings as well. I made a sleeve that controls the end play like most engine's have, but what I didn't do was allow enough clearence so after the engine was first fired up things grew a little and of course started to rub,we all know what happens when Alum rubs against alum it galled and all but locked the engine up and also slighty knocked the two cranks out of time. I thought it had just slipped, anyway to make a long story short I removed some material from both the sleeve and sleeve bore to allow for a larger gap and no chance for it to ever rub again.
My Son was not available to do the video but the engine fired right up with little effort and idled great but a tad rich which I soon adjusted. I did clear its throat a couple times and nailed it for a short period of time and I could tell from the prop rip I needed a larger prop.( Prop Used was a 22-C vess).
Not wanting to get in the trailer where I store all my extra props and gear I just ran it and did a tach reading. Sit down because I am still having a hard time believing my own eyes. The engine was swinging that 22-C prop at 8380 and I checked that figure several times and it was always very close to the same. Of course this will be double and triple checked along with my other props tomorrow and also maybe some footage useing the larger 23 inch props. At the present time I don't have any 24 inch props, but that can also change in a hurry if I decide I need it. At this moment the engine is putting out more than I had ever hoped for and runs like a swiss watch with a great idle and instant transistion and one flip starts, plus the very sweet part is the smoothness.
The way the prop was getting ripped makes me want to believe what the one tach said, but the real proof will be useing 2-3 different tachs to verify the numbers stay fairly close to each other. So there you have the latest, Myself I am in seventh heaven so far all of my efforts has paid off in spades.
Richard.

coronabob 02-25-2012 08:19 PM

Congratulations, Richard. Nothing makes a fellow feel prouder and better than something like this.

Super08 02-25-2012 09:11 PM

Wow that would make it more powerful than a 60cc single. Great work Richard.

Cyberwolf 02-26-2012 05:55 AM

Thanks Doug, After a few more heat cycles today I will know more. But if the tach was correct it will out run any of my 55 singles I made hands down, and there not anything to sneeze at.

FullSpool 02-26-2012 05:57 AM

Great work man! Very impressed! <div>
</div><div>
</div>

ghoffman 02-26-2012 06:11 AM

Awesome work!  I had a DA-60 and it needed a 24-8.  The 23 inchers ripped badly.

av8tor1977 02-26-2012 09:48 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I've made several little 48cc twins from Echo parts, and crankcases I got from Keith at BME. I have two of them myself. Keith mentioned that the cranks might need pinned to stay aligned. On the first one I did I didn't pin it, and never had any problems after lots of running and flights. The second one I did with 25cc cranks to make a 50cc engine, and I did spot weld the crank pins in place just for extra security.

Note: Sorry, unless you can find one from someone here in the forum, those crankcases are long gone....

AV8TOR

Cyberwolf 02-26-2012 03:42 PM

Yep when I first got wind of those cases they was all gone never to be made again as I understood it. I gave some thought to pinning the crank by either useing pins or by spot welding it and decided not to go with anything but a nice press fit.
Had the spacer I made had of had more clearence I don't think it would have turned on me in the first place.
For now its running great and everything is very true as it should be, BUT my dang tach was lieing to me I double checked things today with 2 other tachs and both was reading within 50 RPM's and after a fair tune I was only getting about 7950 -8000 with the 22-C Vess My light was bad yesterday so I think that may have had a bearing on what it was reading.
And low and behold I went to grab a 23 inch prop from the trailer and both of them was gone, brand new unopened in the package and was hanging on the wall on a peg board, I guess thats what I get for leaving things unattended at flyins, I really hate to think that someone would stoop that low to steal from me, but wecome to the real world. The new Tach readings did take a little wind out of my sail's but not enough to cause much concern, I still have a larger carb I want to try out to see what that does plus some other more extensive ideas to try out that will come later on.
My main concern was to get it running and reliable and see what sort of hard running it will with stand W/O self imploding and that will only happen when I get it in an airframe and fly it like it was stolen.
Sorry about the stray info about the RPM's, and as soon as I can get my son out here we will get some footage of it running with some numbers that are readable.

av8tor1977 02-26-2012 03:46 PM

I asked Keith one time about making more cases. He said: "In today's world, it would cost over $250.00 or more a piece to have them made."

Congrats again on your project. I wish I had the equipment and skill to make a case myself. Your engine is still making good power, and running smoother than any remotely comparable single for sure!

AV8TOR

w8ye 02-26-2012 03:47 PM

There's nothing wrong with 7950-8000 60cc on a Vess 22-C

Cyberwolf 02-26-2012 04:21 PM

Thanks guys , I don't mind the RPM's I am getting and it may improve a little bit as the engine gets some time on it.
I will round up some larger props and get some more readings and get some footage if my son will ever lite long enough to give me a hand.

Cyberwolf 02-27-2012 03:03 PM

Just a small update, I got some props ordered today and was killing time and got me to thinking that maybe a larger carb might give me some extra power and RPM's. Since I had a carb from a G-62 just laying around here that is almost new I decided to give it a try. It has a .125 larger bore than the carb I used.
While it did run the engine I lost some of my quick spool up and also lost RPM's about 300-350, But the real deal was when I went to restart the engine after doing adjustments, I had to rechoke it almost every time. So it now has the original carb on it again and running like it did before. Maybe a carb that is in between the two might work but I don't have one and don't think I will persue it any farther.
So it just goes to show me that a larger carb does not always mean more go power. Funny it always seemed to work on my race cars *L*

Whistling Death 02-27-2012 03:51 PM

<span class="subhead">Cyberwolf you never cease to amaze me with you skills. You are truly an artist with a milling machine and a lathe.</span>

ghoffman 02-27-2012 04:08 PM

ORIGINAL: Whistling Death

<span class="subhead">Cyberwolf you never cease to amaze me with you skills. You are truly an artist with a milling machine and a lathe.</span>
+100
<br type="_moz" />

Super08 02-27-2012 08:23 PM

A fine craftsman often has an artistic side to them and sees things us mere mortals cannot. I believe Richard to be one of these very special people.