RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Gas Engines (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-engines-142/)
-   -   Let's try again DL-50 (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-engines-142/5532868-lets-try-again-dl-50-a.html)

skreamer 03-21-2007 10:37 PM

RE: Let's try again DL-50

I never seem to be on the good end of the stick when things go wrong. Wish I could order props and get an engine!

Of course He may be going "All I want is my props so I can go flying. I don't even have a prop that will fit this engine.[:@]"

closetguy 03-22-2007 06:06 AM

this is what i was talking about back when this tread got started,anyone can sell you a engine but when it comes to replacement parts,they do not have time for you and when your on the other side of the world it's even easier to blow you off,they just don't make enough money on parts,so your engine that you get a good deal on turns out to be a pain in the ***** to get parts for.untill someone starts to sell and back this engine with parts and service in the USA i think it will take a while for a lot of guy's to buy one. i was going to buy one of these engines untill Skreamer had trouble getting parts,so i just went ahead and bought another DA 50,for me it's about parts and service,or it's like someone here said to buy two DL's, one for parts.
good luck Skreamer with your engine,hope you get a response from Peak about your parts.
ENJOY!

CrateCruncher 03-22-2007 07:04 AM

American distributors don't hold an exclusive on competence but they do often obtain an exclusive on distribution. We know where that leads. If I've only learned one thing from eBay it's that there are many smart, English speakers on the planet with good business sense and an effective post office. It's a global world folks. I'd prefer direct factory support. Barring that, my next choice would be a dealer within a few miles of said factory that can rant in the native language of the people that design the parts and sign off on drawings-an efficient customer feedback loop!

I got my motor from Sylvian yesterday. Outer machining looks good, engine feels nicely tight. I notice in the brief instruction sheets that the factory recommends 30:1 oil ratio and no more than 2500rpm for first 2 hours(grinding wagon?), then no more than 4000rpm for the next 2 hours.

There is a note that says "Please periodically clean the fuel filter in the carburetor (See the following figure), or else it will cause the adjustment failure of the oil pin [mixture adjustment screws-ed.] and the instability of the engine, etc. [There is no figure-ed.]

Also, in what appears to be a new insert in the instructions there is a page that reads:

SAFETY WARNING
1) Please use the engine frame that we providing. Do not use the other engine frame substituting the original one. Otherwise, that can lead the engine shell broken.
2) Do not running or breaking-in the engine on the test bed. Otherwise, it can lead the engine frame broken. If you want to breaking-in the engine, make sure the engine has installed on the model.

bahamadude 03-22-2007 07:11 AM

They have their yak 54 50 CC up on their site now.

Looks good.

combo with DL50 $799.00

SERCE 03-22-2007 09:41 AM

WELL, Below is the email "less my info" that I sent PeakModel today "03-22-09".
I sent it to all 5 email addresses found on their website.
I also sent it to RCU "peakmodel" members list.
Sooo, let's see how fast I get an answer and what will they say.
For me, this is the real test on their service.???
later

Hi,
I am sending this email to you here as well as the email address's on your website.
I received my DL50 Tuesday morning and fired it up
2 hours later. Started right up but I have no high end.
Took carb off and found that the high end port is closed off.
Cound you please send me the correct carb for it "ASAP", I was
hoping to be flying with this engine this weekend.

Thanks,

SERCE 03-22-2007 09:52 AM

Boss,
You are 100% correct regarding the high end port.
I took off the carb and opened it up only to find that the
high end jet was filled up with silicon "RTV"?
What's up with that. They must of ran out of the stock carb??
I'm feeling positive that once I get a new carb I will have a great engine.
Although, I ordered the 53cc-3MM from dawghouse yesterday.
I just love messing with these "low cost" powerplants.

Also Boss, thanks for the tip on the mounting brackets. The
engine has run for 2-3 hours now between 2500-3000 rpm, I
now have it off and set aside for the new carb and will then put
it in the cmp extra excluding the mounts.
later

Mitsu1 03-22-2007 10:50 AM

Uh, .. w4dnq, .. I'm on your side, .. but you probably couldn't even expect a stateside distributor to just cough you up a carburetor based on that brief, detail lacking description and request for a replacement. I believe they will take care of you, but I doubt that brief little message is going to suffice.

Daryl

maxun 03-22-2007 11:50 AM

this is the email send to peak products.

Dear peakmodel: please refer to the rcuniverse.com treath site for the DL-50, as you know this powerfull web site engine, let us the rc entusiast comunicate and rate a specific product, hope you warrantie and support will be good for this engine, so far has not been not respond in your part for some of the engine problems some modelist experience, your promp respond to this individual will have a great impact in the future purchase of your engines by the rc comunity. thanks. We are watching.

closetguy 03-22-2007 01:00 PM

the guy's are trying to just get a response from Peak,not just to send a part in the mail just on there say so,how does Peak know what the problem is untill they contact the person.if it was mine i would just buy a new carb and be done with it. or just fix it, but i know you are just trying to make Peak stand behind there engine that they sell.
ENJOY!

maxun 03-22-2007 02:25 PM

Must manufacturers and dealers whatch how our report are made thrue forum, as a example crrcpro, had V1 45CC with a lot's of troubles, in australia and thanks to rusty, we in the United States where aware of the problem and CRRCpro fix the problem in the following vertions, and the vendor in the us was behaing the products. Peak shoul no be diferent if the carb is foulty it should be replaced with no charge. Remember $370.00 dollas are no found arround the corner, and they should pay more attention to quality, some of us has more money thant others, but that has nothing to do with quality, I got lot's of planes and engines, but, I relly on you experties to expend my money wiselly. Hope Peak read the treat and repair replaced or send parts for those engines that our rc modelist had from peak.
Now this is for peak:
Rc universe is the most powerfull tool for modelist. We do pay attention to products review from user of your engine. most of us rely in the expertice and good jugdment of well season hobby people. Some one post a video with a Yak 54 and was very impresive, my desition to have one or more of your engine rely on you customer service and warrantie.
engines I own:
DA-50, ZDZ100, Ys120, Ys63, Os surpass 52, 120, 91, Os 46AX, 46LA(2), 40LA, Crrcpro45Fi, Brillelli 40GT,and many more, including more than 40 airplanes, so please make it good to all those people that required services.

For all of you in this treat thank so much for the valuable feed back for all of us arround the world. Maxun

closetguy 03-22-2007 04:03 PM

Maxun
i can't agree with you more,i just think you will not get much response from Peak,they half to get parts from the manufactor,and there all geared up to get engines out the door,not something as little as a few parts,thats why i said i would just get a new carb and try to forget the hole thing,try to save your self a few gray hairs:D
i just don't put much faith in china's service,they don't even test run a engine!
ENJOY!

SERCE 03-22-2007 08:06 PM

When I do get a response, I will post the email here.
I just hope that I will get a response ..???

skreamer 03-22-2007 08:19 PM

I have got no response from Peak whether they recieved pics or not. I hope they resolve this quickly. If not I will dispute the charges on card tomorrow morning. All it takes is communication!!!![X(]

bubbagates 03-22-2007 08:32 PM

Ok I'm gonna let the kitty out of the burlap at this point.

About a week ago I sent emails to all the addresses I could find for Peak models regarding the availability for parts for this engine. At this time I have not received any responses. I'm not going to show the emails as of this time until I get responses. At that time I will post the whole email "train".

As I have said before, I have no problems with buying one of these once I know I can get parts and service under warranty if there is such a thing. One thing I have not seen or I just do not remember seeing it (Bad case of C.R.S) is any post that states what the actual warranty is on this engine.

Is it quoted in the manual or on the ebay link, which I did not check as I do not do ebay at all and did not see anything on Peak's web site.

roalddogge 03-22-2007 08:35 PM

I think the problem is not so much the manufacturers in China but more the greedy middlemen who want to have a quick buck.

I purchased my DL50 in a local shop in China (for much less than 370 USD) and cracked the exhaust after 4 flights. Just sent a picture to the factory and a new one is on it's way, no problem at all.

And I did it again.....bought a second one for my new SD-models YAK. Delivery will take 2 weeks as the factory ran out of parts. They must have had a sudden increase in demand :-)

Tomorrow I will fly it again and will do some tacho readings.

Roald

Bosshossv8 03-22-2007 08:38 PM

I am glad my video may help some of you. It certainly was fun making it. I WAS going to pull off my DL-50 of the KMP / Ef reject plane. But....the weather was nice , so I went to the field today from more abuse.

AND , I do mean abuse.

I have been beating my Rejecy Yak pretty hard with this motor. And it showed today. My elevator higes pulled out,,,,thankfully I caught it inbetween flights[X(][X(][X(]

Then during runup....the vertical fin let loose.....[X(][X(]:eek:[:-]

BSI Pink rubber infused CA to the rescue......an my Klett hinges and rudder fin were solid again.

On the the third flight....feather landing...then I hit a hidden puddle and VERY soft ground...at idle, rolling out...with the MezjlikCF Prop......[X(][X(][X(]

FLip over end over end ....HARD. I thought for sure I had either :

A ....broke a mounting tab.

B....bent the crank wit hthe CF prop

C.... Both.

Neither...it was fine the ground was soft and the motor was at idle. Whew!!..[&:][&:]

Nothing hurt and it was splashtacular!!!!

I have lost count on how many flights I have.....I just need a WT76 to get even. I really like the Mezjlik prop on this heavy bird...I am doing tumbles 2 at a time..and hard snaps in vertical without a lot of momentum loss.

I do not have time to work on my planes for Sunday and switch this motor to a better plane, at least for now. So it will be on the Reject for another couple of weeks. Then after it comes off , I will tear off the cyl and post a picture or two of it for reference.

It seems really loose and smooth, with no noticeable endplay or slop. No leak on the front bearing.

pinch me.

Bosshossv8 03-22-2007 08:43 PM

bubba , just read your post.

I know of NO WARRANTY at this time.

Once again remember....CAVEAT EMPTOR!! THis is one of the reasons the price is what it is.....

rollingrookie 03-22-2007 08:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hey guys,

My DL50 arrived today. I attached a picture of the ignition system and it does not look like everyone elses. It does not look like the one in sylvians Ebay ad either. I HATE not getting whats in the picture. My only guess is that its an older version maybe? I have not ran the engine yet but I would assume it will work.

I am just pissed I did not get what I bid on... let me know if your ignition is like mine or if its the pretty one with red and blue covering over the wires.

Thanks

bubbagates 03-22-2007 08:50 PM

Boss,

You know, I've been more of a pain on this than I hould be. So and only because I'm a bit to lazy what is the average cost of the WT-76 and where are you getting your from.

I'd really like to pull the plug and if there is no warranty on this then I can totally understand the lack of "support" at this time, though I do not think it's good business though.

PlaneKrazee 03-22-2007 08:57 PM

My ignition is the same as yours. Your castings look better than than mine.

CrateCruncher 03-22-2007 09:10 PM

ROLLINGROOKIE,
I too received the same ignition packaging with my motor yesterday. These are perhaps from a post New Year batch. Don't fret, I believe our engines may have received an upgraded carburetor from the Walbro that "Hoss" described on his motor. There are no visible plastic components in the venturi or fuel nozzle though I was unable to locate any numbers on it. (Anyone know how to identify Walbro's). I'm currently disassembling the entire motor and making gasket patterns, noting torque values and machining clearances before I run it. I like to have a benchmark for future teardowns.

Antique 03-22-2007 09:15 PM

Same guy makes all the ignitions, puts different labels on according to who they go to...
The Walbro carb on the one I had here was just fine, don't go off the deep end until you run yours...A WT76A carb is $50.56 in the Walbro catalog, if you pay more than that plus some shipping you're getting ripped off....Dealers get a GOOD discount...:D I know, I ARE one....
You should be worried more about crashing the plane than ever needing parts for the engine....;)

bubbagates 03-22-2007 09:15 PM

ORIGINAL: CrateCruncher

ROLLINGROOKIE,
II'm currently disassembling the entire motor and making gasket patterns, noting torque values and machining clearances before I run it. I like to have a benchmark for future teardowns.

Sounds like what we (my dad and I) used to do with nice big powerful V-8 engines, we just called it balancing and blueprinting but oh boy, what a difference in power :D

Antique 03-22-2007 09:20 PM

The numbers are stamped into the side near the needles...The carb Hoss was complaining about had some plastic on the top of the fuel inlet nozzle, it was there from the factory to seal the little ball pressed into the nozzle from the top...the fuel enters the nozzle from holes in the side, so the top needs to be sealed....
Much ado about nothing, methinks...

rollingrookie 03-22-2007 09:25 PM

Boy thats small print... just for reference..

Mine has "WT 624 " and under that "824"

I guess I could assume thats model and serial numbers?