RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Gas Engines (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-engines-142/)
-   -   SYSSA 30CC GAS MADE IN USA (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-engines-142/8862472-syssa-30cc-gas-made-usa.html)

ahicks 01-21-2012 05:16 AM

RE: SYSSA 30CC GAS MADE IN USA

ORIGINAL: w8ye

You need to set up an alternate idle speed on a separate toggle switch

OR, you can run your low speed slightly rich. If you go for the "smoothest" idle available when setting it, I've found that low speed idle isn't reliable at all. Stalling, not wanting to come down off a "high idle" all signs of too lean. Run it rich, let it burble a little bit when idling, and you'll have much better reliability.

Joystick TX 01-21-2012 05:18 AM

David,

I run my low end at 2,100 rpm to prevent it from dying during landing or some of my wild maneuvers. The manual recommends 2,300 rpm for 3-D flying.

Are you using a tach to set your low and high end RPM's?

Make sure your fuel tank tubing is working okay, no kinks in the clunk line, etc.

Also your engine may need more cooling, make sure your air intake and exhaust area ratios are at least 1:4.

Joystick TX 01-21-2012 05:55 AM

<p class="MsoNormal" style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><font size="3">I have been having what I thought were carb problems all month. Cleaned the filter, replaced the pump gasket, adjusted the carb, etc. Yesterday, I was about to send my engine back for service because I just could not get it to run right. After a couple of good flights, I could only get about one or two circuits around the flagpole and it would die. It would be hard to start and I would let it set for a while and then it would fire up and the same thing would happen. I found the problem that was causing my engine to die. It was not the carb as I had suspected. Had a bad cell in one of my brand new batteries, new this month; it caused the ignition to shut down the engine after about 15 to 30 min of flight. The battery charged okay, it just had almost no capacity.

No good deed goes unpunished. After about 900 flights on my old battery packs, I replaced them early this month. That's why the battery was the last thing on my "things that could go wrong" with my plane list.</font></p>

davidgeorge212 01-21-2012 08:42 AM

The motor doesnt seem to be running hot at all. It actually runs really cool to where I can feel it without burning after a flight. I originally had the low end set richer but thats where it would almost immediately die when it slowed down on the ground. I slowly tuned it a little more leaner which is where it is less likely to die on the ground but I run the risk of having it die it he air which I have done one time already. The engine itself should be getting alot of ventilation because its on a stik and not coweled in at all. It is on some long stand offs and is spaced away from the firewall. I do find that I run my throttle quite fast during flight so I will try backing off a little bit before I land and see if that helps me on my landings

WWIIP38 01-21-2012 10:08 AM

What shoud the timing be set at on this engine?

flycatch 01-21-2012 10:58 AM

I don't intend to be negative however remember there were two US manufactures that sold glow engines Fox and K&B. They never matched the quality and relability of OS and Enya.

Joystick TX 01-21-2012 12:00 PM

The timing should be set at 30 deg TDC.

I have not found that there are any problems with choping the throttle from wide openand landing, I've done that a lot, also have chopped the throttle and dived straight in from several hundred feet up. This engine has been the most reliable I've ever owned. There must be something else going on.

JNorton 01-21-2012 01:43 PM

ORIGINAL: flycatch

I don't intend to be negative however remember there were two US manufactures that sold glow engines Fox and K&B. They never matched the quality and relability of OS and Enya.
How else would someone take your post. I personally find it very offensive.
John

brockettman 01-21-2012 01:44 PM

So, are you saying this US manufactured engine doesn't match up to the quality and reliability of other 30cc gasoline engines?

Do you own one, and have you had problems with it?

flycatch 01-21-2012 02:12 PM

It's a wait and see. Most people let their wallet do the talking and will purchase the cheaper product with the same specifications. The rise of gas engines used in our hobby came from the rising cost of glow fuel and cheap Chinese imports.

flycatch 01-21-2012 02:21 PM

Are you able to defend K&B and FOX versus OS and ENYA. You can't and the only reason you might have purchased the American made engine was cost. I'm middle age and been in this hobby for a long time and even started with K&B glow engine. No your history before starting an argument when it comes to electronics and engines. Remember the days of R/C when Kraft and Orbit dominated the field of equipment. Both went by the wayside when Futaba entered the market. The reson being is they had a better product at a cheaper price.

flycatch 01-21-2012 02:27 PM

I just got into the gas engine market and have a Zenoah EI 20cc. The engine works as advertised. The individuals starting a USA engine production facility do not have a large manufacturing base to support this activity wheras a company such as Zenoah is major manufacture of industrial type engines. You buy from them and what you get is a custom made powerplant and a handshake.

skylarkmk1 01-21-2012 03:02 PM

To Flycatch,

B-ll S-it. I have had all four manufactures engines since the 70's and flew the pants off them and still have them. I have an old early K&B .40 that still gets a workout now and then. An old OS engine I have is one of the most tempermental engines in my collection and is hard to start. The few FOXes I have were raced and still run well. The Enyas were good but heavy and one version has the exhaust on the left side making it hard to install without modifying the air frame.

I bought what I could afford then and still try to buy the best now. From all reports the SYSSA is one of the very best in it's class. No I do not own one because I do not fly or have the room for that size of plane.

ghoffman 01-21-2012 03:09 PM

And a Zenoah is indeed an industrial engine, not a R/C plane engine.  It is extremely heavy, with unused bosses, a flywheel (or a conversion kit), and a muffler for a chainsaw. If it is for a Cub, fine, but no high performance 3D plane would even consider a Zenoah.

JNorton 01-21-2012 03:54 PM

Are you able to defend K&B and FOX versus OS and ENYA. You can't and the only reason you might have purchased the American made engine was cost. I'm middle age and been in this hobby for a long time and even started with K&B glow engine. No your history before starting an argument when it comes to electronics and engines. Remember the days of R/C when Kraft and Orbit dominated the field of equipment. Both went by the wayside when Futaba entered the market. The reson being is they had a better product at a cheaper price.
I did not start an argument. What I am saying is that I'm appalled that your only comment is because a product is American it is inferior. That type of prejudice like any prejudice is preconceived mindless drivel.
John

Slow and Steady 01-21-2012 04:37 PM

I bought this engine based on the perceived quality and finish; even though it was substantially more than a DLE 30. I also very much wanted to support an American manufacturer. But as I asked a few posts back, I sent my Syssa in for service last September and still have not gotten it back. Has anyone been able to contact Syssa? They are not responding to my emails. Trying to be patient, but this is very troubling. I had an issue with my DLE 55 and the full turn around time was 10 days from when I shipped it to its return at my front door. While 10 days to replace a cranck and connecting rod is exceptional, over 3 months is, as I noted, very troubling.

AJsToyz 01-21-2012 04:41 PM

Give Todd a call would probably be the best way.

Slow and Steady 01-21-2012 04:45 PM

DavidGeorge, Sounds like your engine might not yet be broken in. It is not uncommon to run at least a gallon of gas with a petroleum based oil before going to synthetic. I ran two gallons on my Syssa and 4 gallons on my DLE55. Don't know if this is your issue but I thought I would mention this possible issue. You may also want to check your muffler; if it has loosened it will effect the idle. The muffler has two connection points, one at the engine and one at the back plate to the muffler box. You may want to check them both.

Joystick TX 01-21-2012 05:17 PM

I'm not sure what your point is. The engine you have is an industrial model with some mods for aircraft use. It has been in production for a long time and it is a greatengine if you want toput it on an Ugly Stick. My problem with it is thatit has a big honking muffler sticking out of one side and a big honking carb sticking out the other side. If you put it on an aircraft with a narrow cowl, you need to do a lot of cutting. Also, will it hold up to the stress of tuned pipe operation? Is the power output enough to be competitive in competition?

The quality of the Syssa is as good or better than anything built in China or Japan. It was designed from the ground up for model aircraft use. It is easy to hand start,it is super reliable, light weight, and has plenty of power. It is a "new" design and there have been some issues as expected with any new design. Every new engine, yes even OS, Saito,and Enya, have gone throughproblems and have produced some dogs.

Ihave also ownedglow engines since 1948, been flying RC since 1971, and have had several gas engines since 2008 and have had good and bad engines from US and overseas manufacturers.None of them are immune to poor quality, out of stock delays,supplier issues, poor customer service, and all the other problems that may crop up.

I bought the Syssa because the DLE 30 engine, V1 with the side mounted carb, was having major problems because it wouldquit during the landing approach. The vendor blamed the problem on the user. All of the complaints fell on deaf ears.They redesigned the engine, V2,and the problem went away. They never admitted that the problem was a design issue. Also, what did they do forthe people who had the V1?

I have had some minor issues with the engine, but they were taken care of by the manufacturer. I do have a loose muffler problem, but that is minor to me and may be related to the way my engine is mounted.

Joystick TX 01-21-2012 05:32 PM

I have not been in contact with Todd for a week or two, but I can tell you that he will take care of your problem. I agree three months is excessive, but there must be something odd going on to cause that long of a delay with no communication from him.

davidgeorge212 01-21-2012 06:14 PM

ORIGINAL: Slow and Steady

DavidGeorge, Sounds like your engine might not yet be broken in. It is not uncommon to run at least a gallon of gas with a petroleum based oil before going to synthetic. I ran two gallons on my Syssa and 4 gallons on my DLE55. Don't know if this is your issue but I thought I would mention this possible issue. You may also want to check your muffler; if it has loosened it will effect the idle. The muffler has two connection points, one at the engine and one at the back plate to the muffler box. You may want to check them both.
That may be as well. I have only gotten about 10 flights on it which would be about 3/4's of a gallon of gas through the engine.

Im glad you mentioned the muffler. I have had unbelievable bad luck with trying to keep my muffler on and tight. it seems like every other flight the muffler loosens up. One time it even fell off in mid flight, luckily i was right over the runway and was able to find the muffler. I have loaded up the muffler screws with loctite and and cranked the screws down as hard as I could but they still loosened up after one flight. I then went and safety wired the bolts together. I still couldnt believe that even after they were safety wired together, the muffler loosened up after a day of flying it again. Im fixing to just JB weld the thing on to keep it from coming off again.

bob_nj 01-21-2012 11:43 PM

davidgeorge212
I am having the same exact idle woes that you are.
I tried fiddlin and tweaking the needles, new carb kit, different props, changed the pop off pressure, adjusted the meter levering arm etc. No matter how rich the needle, or how high the idle, after a short period of time, like on final, the idle definitely changes.
It goes from a high idle to a real low idle and may die.
Even if it doesn't die before landing, when the throttle is opened it coughs and dies then. It is not rich, it just dies.

I'm not a rocket surgeon, but some have success and like the WT 813 accelerator pump carb, and some don't.
Maybe some engines will tolerate it, and some won't, I don't know.
I just know that I had to stop flying the plane before something bad happened.

SO, what I did was change the carb.
I put a DA 50 (WT 201) on it and now the idle is perfect.
I also have a WT 645 I want to try to see any differences.
This is not a graceful solution for those that don't have the time to tinker, or just don't think they should
have to with a new motor, but it's what it took to not lose the plane.

Slow and Steady >
I'll start by saying that I have two Syssa motors and am "trying" as you are to stay American and keep my sanity.
I feel your pain with the horrible service from Syssa.
It's on several boards and in various threads.
Yes, there are those who will tell you their success stories, but there are far more otherwise.
It seems like if you happen to get Todd on the phone or something, or yours is the first thing he does any particular day, you are
one of the successes.
There was a post on another board a few weeks ago from Todd saying that the problem is fixed, but it isn't.
Like I said, I am hanging in there and tried again for some service and so far it isn't working out.
It's a shame.
You can only lose so much business before it spirals and doesn't come back.

Take care
Bob

hyflyer9 01-22-2012 04:24 AM

Has any one tried a new plug . looks like the only thing that you haven't tried yet and check your battery with a propper battery tester to make sure it is good and getting a full charge .

bob_nj 01-22-2012 04:28 AM

If you're referring to me, well I didn't mention every little thing.
Plug is a new NKG and gapped properly.
Battery is fine.

hyflyer9 01-22-2012 04:34 AM

Even a new plug can be a bad one . i have in the past got a whole new set for my car and they where all bad . But i was having the same problem with a cheeper chinese brand gas engine last year and it turned out to be the batter was to low .