RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Gas Engines (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-engines-142/)
-   -   SYSSA 30CC GAS MADE IN USA (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-engines-142/8862472-syssa-30cc-gas-made-usa.html)

Outlw36 02-05-2010 10:24 AM

RE: SYSSA 30CC GAS MADE IN USA

Mine is mounted in a Hanger 9 Twist 1.50. Turning an APC 18x6w prop. No torque problems throughout the rpm range, on stock exhaust. Some people need to to fully read others post's and not turn them into a "general" practice sort of thing.MTK is working on pattern use his his tuned pipe and prop mods. He obviously seems to know what he's doing, and has done so safely. He has not blindly posted his process for others to attempt. A certain individual has also questioned whether he has ran the "other" 30cc engine. As far as I can tell you haven't ran either but jump thread to thread to stir the pot.

ol_seabee 02-05-2010 11:16 AM

ORIGINAL: Outlw36

Mine is mounted in a Hanger 9 Twist 1.50. Turning an APC 18x6w prop. No torque problems throughout the rpm range, on stock exhaust. Some people need to to fully read others post's and not turn them into a ''general'' practice sort of thing.MTK is working on pattern use his his tuned pipe and prop mods. He obviously seems to know what he's doing, and has done so safely. He has not blindly posted his process for others to attempt. A certain individual has also questioned whether he has ran the ''other'' 30cc engine. As far as I can tell you haven't ran either but jump thread to thread to stir the pot.
I know someone with a twist 150, OS 120 AX and 17/6 prop.. not particularly strong on the 17/6 but not lacking too bad for power as the twist is a lightweight floater..

I'm glad to hear the syssa will transition good with a 6 pitch and stock muffler on a lightweight airframe

Actually the apc 18/6w is a good prop

But gas motors do not turn as high rpm's as glow

If the Syssa will turn a xoar 18/8 at ~7500 with stock muffler and decent transition then it is doable for 1/4 scale 3D imo

I'd really like to see that

If it doesn't perform this well then change it Todd lol

You need a minimum for gas powered 1/4 scale 3D... jmho

I think the 18/8 is it

The 19/8 kicks boo-twah:D\

Honestly if the Syssa 30 is just a little less power than the DLE 30 it may be very good for 1/4 scale aerobatics.... i.e it may have less vertical but if it accelerates a little slower during rolling circles etc. may be better

The DLE has power to spare

Of course it depends on the airframe a bit

PlaneKrazee 02-05-2010 12:00 PM

ORIGINAL: Outlw36

Mine is mounted in a Hanger 9 Twist 1.50. Turning an APC 18x6w prop. No torque problems throughout the rpm range, on stock exhaust. Some people need to to fully read others post's and not turn them into a ''general'' practice sort of thing.MTK is working on pattern use his his tuned pipe and prop mods. He obviously seems to know what he's doing, and has done so safely. He has not blindly posted his process for others to attempt. A certain individual has also questioned whether he has ran the ''other'' 30cc engine. As far as I can tell you haven't ran either but jump thread to thread to stir the pot.

The APC 18X6 is the same load as a Vess 18X6 and is the best overall prop excluding warbird props. The Syssa likes the higher rpm range, ask Todd. He said it runs best above 8000.

What I was saying is, The Syssa is not timed to spin loads that will run in the 7000 rpm range, ie 19X8 without a tuned pipe.

Relax already.

ol_seabee 02-05-2010 12:30 PM

It sounds like it turns an 18/6 WITH a tuned pipe so a 19/8 is completely out of the question anyway imo

I guess an 18/8 is out of the question too.. too bad

try a 17/8 on stock mufflers or pipe;)

Syssa Aircraft 02-05-2010 12:43 PM

When broken in...an 18x6 Vess will turn 8700-8850 rpm on stock muffler.
We'll have to test an 18x8 on the stock muffler to see...should be around 8000 or so.

About 1/2 gallon through an engine here with ES pipe and 18x6 is now 9600 rpm.
I'll have to test the 19A, but I think the pitch of the 19A is more than 6.

Hog78 02-05-2010 12:45 PM

ORIGINAL: ol_seabee

It sounds like it turns an 18/6 WITH a tuned pipe so a 19/8 is completely out of the question anyway imo

I guess an 18/8 is out of the question too.. too bad

try a 17/8 on stock mufflers or pipe;)

To me sounds like the seaman likes the other engine. The Syssa I have is great. I like being able to take the plane off the bench and still be running and have to use the engine kill after taxiing back to the pit. IMO

AJsToyz 02-05-2010 01:01 PM

Hey Hog,

I was going to try to fly today BUT , the weather turned ! Can you believe that ??

Andy

ol_seabee 02-05-2010 01:01 PM

Not really Hog78

"We'll have to test an 18x8 on the stock muffler to see...should be around 8000 or so."

See, now that sounds fine especially if it has decent midrange strength

I haven't heard hp numbers and have only heard about 18/6 props on a pipe

Hate to see fellow modelers disappointed[8D]

Syssa Aircraft 02-05-2010 01:03 PM

no time right now...just getting engines out the door.

jdeltano 02-05-2010 01:06 PM

ORIGINAL: AJsToyz

Jim,

I put a link to the Vess website a few pages back, they have them in stock.

Andy
They ship fast too. I ordered two 18X6 Wednesday and they were delivered this morning :D

AJsToyz 02-05-2010 01:15 PM

I don't care about a fixed HP # do to the fact no engine produces the same power in the same range. One engine might be a speed demon, the other could be a stump puller, or another might be a good combination of both, but not be the best of either.

Andy

ghoffman 02-05-2010 03:04 PM

I was at an electrical surplus store and I was thinking that it would not be that hard to make a dyno. They had lots of DC motors in the 5-10 HP range and with the proper reduction drive to get it in the correct RPM range and you could measure HP directly from the electrical output, since 745 watts= 1HP. You would have to calibrate it for the conversion efficiency/losses of the motor, but that is not that hard to do.

PlaneKrazee 02-05-2010 03:26 PM

ORIGINAL: tsyssa

We'll have to test an 18x8 on the stock muffler to see...should be around 8000 or so.

If the pipe is setup for smooth inflight transition (not peaky) that is a very good rpm for the VESS/APC 18x6 size prop.

Vess props are rated by load. An A prop should be about equal to a 6" pitch, B about a 8" and C 10".

pgmeyer 02-05-2010 04:03 PM

ORIGINAL: PlaneKrazee

If the pipe is setup for smooth inflight transition (not peaky) that is a very good rpm for the VESS/APC 18x6 size prop.

Vess props are rated by load. An A prop should be about equal to a 6'' pitch, B about a 8'' and C 10''.

DamonR 02-05-2010 04:06 PM

Has anyone heard any news about when the Extreme Flight 78" Extra 300 gasoline version will be shipping? I ordered my second engine from Todd (I'm not pushing until the rest of you get your first), and I did pick up the carbon pipe Todd said they will be using with the EF Extra. The Extra is supposed to have a tunnel for the pipe, I'm really excited about flying this setup. My Funtana weights just over 9 lbs all up which is considerably lighter that the Extra at 12 lbs, but if the pipe boosts the thrust close to 50%, then this should be a rocket! I rode a Honda CR-125 when I was a kid, that bike had an explosive transition when it reached a particular rpm. We always said the bike was peaky, but the usable power band seemed to span a large rpm range. It will be really interesting to see how this affects 3D flight, particularly hovering.

My Syssa Funtana is sitting in the basement waiting for a reasonable day for a maiden. I'll hoping to fly something this weekend, but with highs in the mid 20's and winds averaging 14mph, it still doesn't look good for the maiden. If I get ambitious, I'll fire up the Syssa and send you all some video, otherwise you'll have to settle for pics of weekend progress on my Stinson build.

PlaneKrazee 02-05-2010 04:21 PM

ORIGINAL: pgmeyer

Vess props are rated by load. An A prop should be about equal to a 6'' pitch, B about a 8'' and C 10''.

cjcyclesrc 02-05-2010 04:38 PM

ORIGINAL: DamonR

Has anyone heard any news about when the Extreme Flight 78" Extra 300 gasoline version will be shipping? I ordered my second engine from Todd (I'm not pushing until the rest of you get your first), and I did pick up the carbon pipe Todd said they will be using with the EF Extra. The Extra is supposed to have a tunnel for the pipe, I'm really excited about flying this setup. My Funtana weights just over 9 lbs all up which is considerably lighter that the Extra at 12 lbs, but if the pipe boosts the thrust close to 50%, then this should be a rocket! I rode a Honda CR-125 when I was a kid, that bike had an explosive transition when it reached a particular rpm. We always said the bike was peaky, but the usable power band seemed to span a large rpm range. It will be really interesting to see how this affects 3D flight, particularly hovering.

My Syssa Funtana is sitting in the basement waiting for a reasonable day for a maiden. I'll hoping to fly something this weekend, but with highs in the mid 20's and winds averaging 14mph, it still doesn't look good for the maiden. If I get ambitious, I'll fire up the Syssa and send you all some video, otherwise you'll have to settle for pics of weekend progress on my Stinson build.
Yes, The EF has a Pipe Tunnel. Did you already put in your order?

I haven't flown the Syssa/ES Pipe combo yet, but I wouldn't worry about the pipe being peaky. I have run the ES50G and ES55G and they are great.

CR-125's are known for being peaky. They are set-up for top-end power. You can get different types of pipes for different kind of power. We used to do a fair amount of work on 2-cycleQuads. Lets just use a 250R for Example. You could get a Pro-Circuit and a FMF Fatty and the two would make the power come on different. The Fatty was designed to producetorque and the Pro-Circuit high end. So the Fatty was a good choice on a extended swingarm hill climber and the Pro-Circuit was a good choice on a race Quad.
Sorrytoget off subject, but my point was that pipes can beset upfor different purposes.The ES pipes are purpose built forRC Aircraft. There is a lot of tuning that is involved, but luckily forusthework is alreadydone for us. Ed and Toddhave been working on the right combo.Guys keep in mindthese are not GLOW motors. Gas motors have beenproven torespond verywellto pipes for3D Flying.

AJsToyz 02-05-2010 04:47 PM

ORIGINAL: pgmeyer

Man I could tweak this stuff all day! Wooo Hooooo!!!

GSK 02-05-2010 04:58 PM

Guys ,
It would be good to see how the motor performs with the stock muffler.
I want to use it in a warbird and the larger the usable prop witb a high pitch the better .
It is all very well trying to get more out of it using a pipe , but that is not much help when a lot of us want to be able to use it just as it comes .

AJsToyz 02-05-2010 05:05 PM

I'm sorry but that was starting to get kinda funny! [sm=tongue_smile.gif]I have the stock muffler on mine and I would love to give you some numbers but its to wet and cold to run it at the moment. Todds first post was intended to give us an idea what she will do with and with out a pipe. [sm=biggrin.gif]

pgmeyer 02-05-2010 05:13 PM

Stock is what I am interested in also, unless installing in a 3D airframe that can hold a pipe? Are there any - I thought they were only designed for canister mufflers - maybe much shorter than the pipe?

ghoffman 02-05-2010 05:21 PM

I called EF a week ago and they told me April for the gasser. As for your video, please do, so the rest of us can have some vicarious fun!

ORIGINAL: DamonR

Truckracer 02-05-2010 05:29 PM

ORIGINAL: GSK

Guys ,
It would be good to see how the motor performs with the stock muffler.
I want to use it in a warbird and the larger the usable prop witb a high pitch the better .
It is all very well trying to get more out of it using a pipe , but that is not much help when a lot of us want to be able to use it just as it comes .
What little I got to fly my engine last fall using an 18-6 Xoar with stock muffler, I thought the engine could use a bit more load. It accelerated the 18-6 very quickly. Much more so than the 4 stroke Saito 180 it replaced. I thought something like a 19-6 was in order and prop braking would improve also. No, I didn't want to consider more pitch.

pgmeyer 02-05-2010 05:38 PM

Nice, can't wait to see what a Vess 19A does on the stock muffler. Not sure about longevity at the 9600 + rpms -

Syssa Aircraft 02-05-2010 05:50 PM

In the lower rpm range, you will get slightly faster spool up with the stock muffler over a pipe....but after about 5500 r's, it is lightning quick.

GSK, you can run an 18x10 or 18x8 in a warbird....that will get you the speed. The higher pitches unload a bit on the more slippery airframes like WWII fighters and other racer types.

As the rpm comes up, the power comes up as well.

Cant wait to fly the H9 Mustang with the SAP-180HP in it. Should be a really good performer with the 18x10. The only problem is...we have crappy and cold weather right now.

GSK 02-05-2010 05:56 PM

Now that is the answer i have been looking for .
I look forward to the results of the Hanger 9 trial as that what i plan to fit it into .

Gungadin 02-05-2010 07:12 PM

"We have crappy and cold weather right now". Well that sounds like perfect weather to stay inside and build nice engines !!!:)

splais 02-05-2010 07:14 PM

I just hooked my fish scale up to my Syssa and got about 16.8 pounds of pull on about 8700 rpm with a Vess 18x6. the motor is new and not yet tuned for optimum performance; but a pretty good indicator of why it will hover my 15.4 pound plane.

Antique 02-05-2010 08:16 PM

You might ask PlaneKrazee how to get 26 lbs thrust with that prop turning only 700 more rpm

AJsToyz 02-05-2010 08:50 PM

I could do that, the air is not as dry over this way. It might be more like cutting pudding with the prop. I'll not need anything bigger than an 18-6 on mine. :D

Andy

PacificNWSkyPilot 02-05-2010 09:28 PM

ORIGINAL: splais

I just hooked my fish scale up to my Syssa and got about 16.8 pounds of pull on about 8700 rpm with a Vess 18x6. the motor is new and not yet tuned for optimum performance; but a pretty good indicator of why it will hover my 15.4 pound plane.
My Coupe weighs in at 14.5 lbs dry weight. I have no interest in hovering, but the general findings seem to indicate that there'll be plenty of punch to pull it strongly through the standard aerobatics I will be doing with it, especially setting it up for just the right tail-slide. A Golden-Age Racer Coupe like the Monocoupe would look a little silly hovering, anyway. It wanted to come right up out of my hands without the wings when I was testing it. Really good idle too. I didn't expect the engine to be as smooth sounding as it was. It still had that bark and crackle at full bore, but it was quieter and smoother than I'd thought it would be during throttle management..

Sweet.

Now if the floodwaters would only subside and the ground would dry out so we can use the fields..... Tomorrow is supposed to be beautiful, but the fields are sogged and completely unusable.

captinjohn 02-05-2010 09:29 PM

Way to go Andy...in Mich you may be cutting snow with the prop! :D Capt,n

Hog78 02-05-2010 09:59 PM

Monday looks like a fly day here in East Tenn. I am going to try and burn 1 gal of dino oil @ 40:1 then switch my Syssa to Synthetic. Next time I go out I will try and fish scale mine, not that I really care as she is a bute!!:)

craigteffe 02-05-2010 10:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Not sure if i posted these pictures yet or not but here is my plane that i built over the winter and she weighs just shy of 12 pounds by maybe an ounce or two. The engine is running good, and it will pull the plane straight up with no problems.

The adjustment on the carb is a little touchy, I can back the High end needle all the way out and she only looses about 400 RPM. Not a bad thing just different from what I'm use to.

I had a slight failure with the center mount that i made in the fuse, and i called Todd up and he is going to make me a new back plate with 4 standoffs.

Guys I am going to tell you now that Todd is a great guy to deal with, Thanks for all your help Todd!!

mandtra 02-06-2010 11:16 AM

Can someone who has both tell me which has more power, more pull. The syssa 30 , or the DLE 30. I'm about to start a project and am trying to decide on the powerplant. I'm more concerned about stock performance , I have no plan of spending $300 more dollars on a composite pipe and header. also i'm not interested in what it SHOULD do. I really would like to know what it WILL do. Thanks

Outlw36 02-06-2010 11:50 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Was sunny 51F with a light breeze yesterday. No flying video as no one showed up at the field. All white and snowing today. After the wind picked I took some pics. Not as purty an install as others here so I almost didn't post these. Hanger 9 twist 1.50, weighs 9 1/2 lbs.

Outlw36 02-06-2010 12:10 PM

Still a bit too rich on the low speed needle so it loads up a little after idling awhile. No bogging or hesitation on throttle up though. Just drops off the smooth aspect and causes a little vibration when restrained in the startup stand. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yf0RkN_v1k

AJsToyz 02-06-2010 12:22 PM

There has never been a side by side for power so no one can honestly answer that question.

Outlaw, What size prop you running ?

Outlw36 02-06-2010 12:30 PM

I'm running an APC 18x6w. Burp the throttle and it jumps off the ground now.

AJsToyz 02-06-2010 12:40 PM

Very nice. :D[sm=thumbup.gif]