RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Gas Engines (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-engines-142/)
-   -   SYSSA 30CC GAS MADE IN USA (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-engines-142/8862472-syssa-30cc-gas-made-usa.html)

AJsToyz 02-06-2010 12:47 PM

RE: SYSSA 30CC GAS MADE IN USA

Mandtra,

There is not an honest answer for this at the moment because no one really knows. The Syssa engine has been built to very high standards and does run very well right out of the box. The DLE seems to be very strong but has some issues on some that are out there. It really depends on what your actual requirements are.

Andy

Antique 02-06-2010 01:03 PM

No arguement there, I had on in hand at Joe Nall...
The relative power remains to be seen...Soon..;)

PlaneKrazee 02-06-2010 01:17 PM

ORIGINAL: Outlw36

Was sunny 51F with a light breeze yesterday. No flying video as no one showed up at the field. All white and snowing today. After the wind picked I took some pics. Not as purty an install as others here so I almost didn't post these. Hanger 9 twist 1.50, weighs 9 1/2 lbs.
OMG!

9 1/2 lbs

This thing will give the space shuttle a run for it's money! Out of hover it'll look like a F15 w/ after burners. :D:D:D

I had a Funtana 40 with a Saito 91 on it. The power was just right and I used less fuel that one powered with a Saito72.

captinjohn 02-06-2010 01:48 PM

Was sunny 51F with a light breeze yesterday. No flying video as no one showed up at the field. All white and snowing today. After the wind picked I took some pics. Not as purty an install as others here so I almost didn't post these. Hanger 9 twist 1.50, weighs 9 1/2 lbs.
If you like how it fly,s , is the important thing. You could always redue the front a bit so a regular cowl of some type could be used. Do some measuring...find a cowl...& intall it. Instant good looking plane! Best Regards Capt,n;)

PacificNWSkyPilot 02-06-2010 03:48 PM

ORIGINAL: mandtra

Can someone who has both tell me which has more power, more pull. The syssa 30 , or the DLE 30. I'm about to start a project and am trying to decide on the powerplant. I'm more concerned about stock performance , I have no plan of spending $300 more dollars on a composite pipe and header. also i'm not interested in what it SHOULD do. I really would like to know what it WILL do. Thanks

Gee,

I'm pretty sure you'll find that in THIS thread, the Syssa wins hands-down!

Call it a hunch. I wonder what you'll find over at that DLE thread?

:D

Outlw36 02-06-2010 03:49 PM

Will leave it as is. Just not as clean of an install as I would've liked due to the narrowness of the nose. Way it is now makes it nice and easy to choke it for the first start of the day. No rod needed.

ol_seabee 02-06-2010 04:10 PM

ORIGINAL: captinjohn

If you like how it fly,s , is the important thing. You could always redue the front a bit so a regular cowl of some type could be used. Do some measuring...find a cowl...& intall it. Instant good looking plane! Best Regards Capt,n;)
That's good advice captin;)

I wonder if it would look better with the motor mounted upright? would the muffler still install pipe down with the cylinder upright??

I just checked my DLE 30 and it looks like it will reverse no problem but may need a minor stack extension to clear the bottom of plane

Probly look better with a cowl tho:D

splais 02-06-2010 04:37 PM

I have about a gallon and a half through the SAP180 now. The 30cc engine is really easy on the gas, runs forever on 16 oz. I would say things really started to settle down after a gallon. The idle is very smooth and as low as as I want to set it. I think I'm going to finish up the 2 gallons of 40:1 petroleum mix I have then switch to synthetic.

I'm flying it on a plane with the 42% Products ignition battery eliminator Zues unit and things are working out well. I love the electronic kill switch through Tx.

One note to those new to the engine. You need to be very careful with the choke plate. It is very easy to bend it and if you do the engine will not choke properly. I already found that out and had to replace it. On my engine the choke plate does not completely close the intake. The engine will run for quit a spell at idle after starting with the coke closed. But this engine is running really sweet now and I'm going to start optimizing it's tune and the prop I want to use on the monocoup.

JohnB96041 02-06-2010 04:51 PM

Really interesting comments in this thread. I think it is time for me to place an order for a new engine.

PacificNWSkyPilot 02-06-2010 07:43 PM

ORIGINAL: splais

I have about a gallon and a half through the SAP180 now. The 30cc engine is really easy on the gas, runs forever on 16 oz. I would say things really started to settle down after a gallon. The idle is very smooth and as low as as I want to set it. I think I'm going to finish up the 2 gallons of 40:1 petroleum mix I have then switch to synthetic.

But this engine is running really sweet now and I'm going to start optimizing it's tune and the prop I want to use on the monocoup.
Looking forward to hearing what your Coupe weight ends up at, what props are best for your flying style, etc.

plasticman 02-07-2010 08:58 AM

Todd,

I am getting to this thread late-in-the-game. I want to say how inspiring it is to see the small business man with a vision, skill, and energy to produce something here in the US. You certainly are a minority amidst the times and conditions. You seem to have weathered the criticism and skepticism well and your product is selling. Good for you. With the Chinese market flooding our shores with low-cost RC products you certainly face some tough competition. It is hard for anyone of us to not be tempted by what our dollar can buy today in Chinese goods. Nevertheless, there is something that is almost nostalgic when you buy something entirely made here in the US.

I hope you succeed in your entrepreneurial effort as you represent the heart and soul of this country.

P-man.

ol_seabee 02-07-2010 10:12 AM

yep, he'll have to be smart........ or tough lol

Not in marketing but in making a winning engine that's not ridiculously priced

Not easy to do in this category apparently but many templates to improve on:D

or downsize

Cody-RCU 02-07-2010 11:04 AM

I agree...The price is certainly very good. I know that it's significantly more than the DL, but for a non-Chinese engine it's fantastic. An Evo 26 is 450, and a 3W 28 is 600. The people who have their engines seem to be very satisfied with them.

I really hope that Todd can get caught up and start shipping engines soon, because he will become a very competitive player in this market segment if he can do that.

PlaneKrazee 02-07-2010 11:28 AM

Todd is at a good price point with a good product. He only needs to step up production to meet demand.

ol_seabee 02-07-2010 11:33 AM

Make a wood cover for the top?;)

MsgtRob 02-07-2010 01:19 PM

ORIGINAL: PlaneKrazee

Todd is at a good price point with a good product. He only needs to step up production to meet demand.
X2! Plus quote realistic shipping times and not charge the customer until shipped. (my $.02)

My engine is expected Mon or Tuesday. It'll be 1 day short of two months. Not as long as some waited, but an improvement none the less.

AJsToyz 02-07-2010 01:26 PM

Yeh , but he's not the only one taking time to ship is he ? ;)

PacificNWSkyPilot 02-07-2010 02:17 PM

Once the accessories to complete the DL are taken into consideration, the difference is not significant.

For instance, go and price out a good Pitts muffler for the DL, and then go over every little switch, the standoffs, anything that the Syssa has that the DL does not, and add those costs in. Remember to add some more for the separate shipping costs too. Plus, local shipping for service, top-notch service (nothing but accolades about that so far, he's been doing the service while still doing production.) and quick returns on that.

And, it's a real showpiece.

Yeah, you'll save a little on the others. You'll work harder because you have to gather it all together. And although fairly attractive, non of them are real showpieces.

What's THAT worth at the field or at your club meeting's show-and-tell?

[8D]

AJsToyz 02-07-2010 02:30 PM

I took mine to my LHS and the guys were just drooling over it. They could not believe how small it really was, and all the detail involved. No doubt about it, they carry the main stream stuff and nothing they can get would compare. [sm=teeth_smile.gif]

cmoulder 02-08-2010 08:54 AM

Wait 'til you put it in plane with a tuned pipe. Whoa!:D

Including a couple of break-in runs and 8 flights, I've run only about 2/3 gallon of gas through it, but already it is settling down nicely and it's looking better on the throttle curve, getting a more linear response. Pulls a 10.5 lb pattern plane with APC 18x10PN without breaking a sweat. Of course, for my maiden flight it was 10-12 degF.:eek:

pgmeyer 02-08-2010 09:32 AM

What pattern plane are you flying with it?

cmoulder 02-08-2010 09:39 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Focus II

ghoffman 02-08-2010 11:41 AM

Well, it looks like I am going to get mine soon, so I started thinking about the mounts you guys have been doing. I was playing with an idea, and although this is for the DLE-30 I will make and test a 3 hole version for my Syssa 30. This way, the load is distributed to the edges of the box, especially if you epoxy this to the inside of the bulkhead.It weighs 32 grams, or just over an ounce, and I certainly can get more mass out if it. I "Anodized it" red to look cool only. Also, if you wanted a soft mount, you could use a layer of RTV to bond this with or without a layer of the rubber inner tube to the inside of the box with clearance holes for the standoffs. Thoughts?
Cheers, Gary

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h2...0mountback.jpg

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h2...mountfront.jpg

craigteffe 02-08-2010 03:40 PM

ORIGINAL: ghoffman

Well, it looks like I am going to get mine soon, so I started thinking about the mounts you guys have been doing. I was playing with an idea, and although this is for the DLE-30 I will make and test a 3 hole version for my Syssa 30. This way, the load is distributed to the edges of the box, especially if you epoxy this to the inside of the bulkhead.It weighs 32 grams, or just over an ounce, and I certainly can get more mass out if it. I "Anodized it" red to look cool only. Also, if you wanted a soft mount, you could use a layer of RTV to bond this with or without a layer of the rubber inner tube to the inside of the box with clearance holes for the standoffs. Thoughts?
Cheers, Gary

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h2...0mountback.jpg

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h2...mountfront.jpg
Seems to be alot of work for something that is not needed, plus it adds weight.

cmoulder 02-08-2010 04:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)

This way, the load is distributed to the edges of the box, especially if you epoxy this to the inside of the bulkhead.It
I don't really understand its function. Is it intended to strengthen motor box?

I made the Hyde-style mount described by MTK and it bolts directly to the motor box with only the customary beefing-up of the motor box necessary. Extremely rigid as is.

Hog78 02-08-2010 07:12 PM

Put some more fuel thru the Syssa today. was having an issue around mid throttle engine loosing power. teaked the high end a little richer by about 2 blades and retested and it seems better verry nice engine so far, got around 1/3 of a gallon in it so far. am pleased. ;)

cmoulder 02-08-2010 09:45 PM

I hoped to get some more flights in next weekend, but a foot of snow is predicted for Wednesday.

Never, ever listen to a ground hog.[&o]

If the wind subsides a little, it will be fun to fly the Avistar with skis.

PacificNWSkyPilot 02-08-2010 11:30 PM

ORIGINAL: AJsToyz

I took mine to my LHS and the guys were just drooling over it. They could not believe how small it really was, and all the detail involved. No doubt about it, they carry the main stream stuff and nothing they can get would compare. [sm=teeth_smile.gif]
Trying to get my Coupe up to "Show Status" condition for our club meeting on Thursday night. Came up with an idea that I got a real kick out of. I took my "Mini-Me" and checked to see of the AR7000 receiver would fit inside , and it does. I was trying to find a place where it could get full rx coverage yet not be too visible through the windows. Anyway, I don't know if I'll have THAT ready for Thursday, buit they guys are going to see the Syssa ...this time in the plane. Some have already come by and seen it, a few saw me running it up for the first time. Nothing but ooos and awwws.

mcdanman2003 02-09-2010 07:06 PM

Too Soon Old, Too Late Smart

In response to post 134.

MsgtRob 02-10-2010 12:30 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I received my motor today and have partially installed it. Initial impressions: it's as everyone else reports. A great looking motor and a very well equipped kit. Worth the wait?...that's for you to decide.

I've discovered the crank is not long enough to allow installation of my spinner. The spinner back plate would force the removal of the Syssa prop nut washer. Unfortunatly, the prop nut is very small and will not provide enough grip diameter without the washer. A larger diameter prop nut perhaps? What do you think, Todd? Has anyone successfully installed a spinner with a carbon fiber prop?
The engine has tight tolerances internally, It takes alot of force to rotate the crank. She'll loosen up I'm sure.
The choke plate is spring loaded and though an interesting design, mine has a few thousandths axial play that allow it not to seal (unless pressed inboard while actuating). Not a big deal in my application but I can see it being a pain for those with cowls. I wondered if not using the original style choke included with the carb would be better? I expect this configuration maximizes airflow by preventing the choke mechanism from blocking any part of the venturi.
I think the Syssa has a nostalgic look and compliments the giant stick.
I'm using an 18 X 8 prop and hope to have her up this weekend.
More to follow.

cmoulder 02-10-2010 05:26 AM

Good looking install there!

For the Syssa CF spinner or a Tru-Turn spinner, simply use the prop shaft spinner adapter nut and washer supplied with the spinner and do not use the stock prop nut and washer. Works perfectly and I've got 8 flights with this configuration, no problems at all. It isn't like a 4-stroke where you need a jam nut.

The choke plate thing is rather funky, but it chokes the engine just fine.

For the choke rod in a cowled set-up, see [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=9459199]here[/link] and [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=9449087]here[/link]. If the engine is being hard mounted, it probably is not necessary to use the Kevlar cord between the choke plate and the rod, but it also wouldn't hurt.

PacificNWSkyPilot 02-10-2010 07:46 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This is the photo of my setup. No problem having the choke with the cowling at all. I took a few extra minutes double-checking my alignment, when the alignment is good , the choke seals tightly. Attention to detail is all it requires. I read a lot about it and was a little worried myself, but in the end I just took my time and it came out great. And I used the supplied parts, didn't need another thing.

Cody-RCU 02-10-2010 08:48 AM

MsgtRob what order number were you?

cmoulder 02-10-2010 09:11 AM

Do you have some sort of friction or hook to hold the choke closed?

If the engine is soft mounted, a flexible choke rod is a good idea, IMHO.

MsgtRob 02-10-2010 09:32 AM

My order number was 366.

As for the choke, I agree it's easy to setup with the metal rod/ golden rod, my other planes are done with the flex rod. My comments were based on the few thousandths of inboard/outboard free play in the chokeplate that allow it to close slightly off center. This off-centering leaves a sliver of uncovered venturi and may/may not affect choking.

As for the spinner, mine was designed to screw straight into the end of the crank. I'll need to get an adapter nut. I still don't think their'll be enough grab (surface area) to properly grip the prop.

Thanks for the inputs/compliments!

Rob

Cody-RCU 02-10-2010 09:35 AM

I was 363...Did you get yours "early" because you were going overseas?

splais 02-10-2010 10:10 AM

I believe that in the end Todd is eventually going to have to go with a different version of the Walbro carb. I haven't raised the issue with him yet; but originally I thought I really like the carb. That was because of it's cool look rather than any performance issue. I've now found that the carb is a constant source of aggravation. You have to be very careful not to bend it or missalign it. My engine will start and run with the plate closed. And basically I just think (personally) it's an unnecessary funky design; but time will tell and it is simple to operate once setup.

MsgtRob 02-10-2010 11:07 AM

Todd and I never discussed "early" delivery because of my military status. That doesn't mean he didn't do it on his own. I encourage you to email/call him to find out when yours will ship.

As for the carb/choke, I'll see how it does stock, if I have issues I'll replace it with an integrated choke Walbro . I just happen to have a brand new one in my spare parts box.

R

captinjohn 02-10-2010 11:40 AM

I believe that in the end Todd is eventually going to have to go with a different version of the Walbro carb. I haven't raised the issue with him yet; but originally I thought I really like the carb. That was because of it's cool look rather than any performance issue. I've now found that the carb is a constant source of aggravation. You have to be very careful not to bend it or missalign it. My engine will start and run with the plate closed. And basically I just think (personally) it's an unnecessary funky design; but time will tell and it is simple to operate once setup.
I was just wondering....how do you "bend" carburator?

Truckracer 02-10-2010 11:43 AM

ORIGINAL: captinjohn

I was just wondering....how do you ''bend'' carburator?
I think he is talking about the choke plate, not the carb.