Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

He's Back

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2004, 12:48 AM
Mike Jones

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default He's Back

DOD is back, go check it out
Old 05-15-2004, 01:05 AM
3DFanatic
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: He's Back

ooh. Whee
Old 05-15-2004, 09:20 AM
Boogie

But will it ever be the SAME?
Old 05-15-2004, 10:27 AM
Pugsley-RCU
My Feedback: (15)

This guy is a real loon and needs to stay out of the forums business. Unless he can allow people to have an opinion. I got banned cause I did agree with him that Aeroworks ARF were worth a crap and that 3W motors were not as nice as DA.

If he brings the site back up I recommend you stay away.....of you do decide to go there....just lurk....

Pugs
Old 05-15-2004, 11:10 AM
Flyfalcons

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I see there is a pic up of a comp-arf Extra 2.6M. Looks like he might be flying one of those now, which is REALLY odd considering there used to be a thread up comparing that aircraft with the Wild Hare Extra, and Joe was making every point he possibly could to get the Wild Hare Extra and not the Comp-ARF. Talk about a change of heart
Old 05-16-2004, 08:09 AM
Hammbone
My Feedback: (309)

I was banned from the site also. He accused someone else of plagerism and it turned out not to be true. I suggested that he owed the guy a public apology for publicly and falsely accusing him of plagerism. Thus I was banned.
Seems like anyone who says anything that doesn't agree with him is banned from the site.
What good is the site if all the info there is biased?
He has all these rules on his site, but he doesn't follow the rules himself.
I little research on my part showed me what a jerk this guy really is.
I wouldn't go back even if I was reinstated and he begged me to come back.

Jim
Old 05-16-2004, 09:39 AM
quist
My Feedback: (198)

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I am really shocked at the about of censorship that is going on anytime someone mentions Joe Hunt. Like him or hate him he is just one person. I personally dont have any feelings one way or another but alot of people of these boards treat peoples words as gospel. We love to build people up just so we can knock them down at the first sign of a problem.

What does it matter what he flies or what he endorses. We can not rely on anybody but ourselves to know if something is good for us. If he was sponsored by a company that he was promoting, it is his job to give it rave reviews.

In Model airplane news and rcm, how many items do you see reviewed that are not advertisers? Not many. How many negitive reviews do you see. NONE because they would stop advertising. A sponsored pilot is no different.

Everyone is taking this way to personal. If you dont like the guy ignore him. If you like him, just remember he is a person promoting what he has.
Old 05-16-2004, 10:00 AM
Hammbone

Yes, we all have our own opinions, loyalties, and affiliations. When everyone is allowed to express their own views, this is not a problem. A person can then hear all sides and decide for himself. The problem with DOD is sensorship and only one side being heard. Posts on DOD are constantly being deleted and people are banned all the time for stating something different than what Joe believes.

Jim
Old 05-16-2004, 10:56 AM
Robotech
My Feedback: (9)

Uuuummm. For the ignorant people like myself, what or who is DOD? [sm=confused.gif]
Old 05-16-2004, 01:12 PM
Hammbone

Sometimes ignorance is bliss.
Old 05-16-2004, 02:06 PM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Robo:

DOD is Joe Hunt's web site, where he shamelessly plugs all companies who give him sponsorship money. This wouldn't be so bad, except the engine that was the best in the world yesterday cancels his sponsorship today, so tomorrow you check DOD and find that same engine has really been a POS all along. Or that's what you see on DOD. And if you post a statement that the one you got on his recommendation is still running great you are banned.

If you are a sycophant, a "Brown-nose" able to change your "Opinions" at a moment's notice, you will fit in well there.

There are many people in this world who are hard to get along with, sometimes they actively work to be that way. I have known only one other person in my life who had such a gang of people dedicated to hating him.

Some people have fan clubs, there is a club that wants to fan Joe. With clubs.

Bill.
Old 05-16-2004, 10:31 PM
JBanks523
My Feedback: (17)

Pugs, you got banned from DOD???c I didn't know that! Hell, I thought you were a moderator for the IMAC forum... That makes me think...
Old 05-16-2004, 10:33 PM
SharksTooth

I had a run in with that guy on an e-mail list I was on. This is when he first got into the hobby ans was in it less than a year, but you'd swear you were talking to World Aerobatic champ the way he talked himself up. He is worthless scum. That guy has singlehandedly done so much damage to the hobby and created so much havoc it may take years for everything to become normal again. You guys don't know the half of it, and most of it I can discuss on here because that is not what RCU is about, but I hope the mods leave this because this guy really has created alot of grief for people and it's time for it to stop. People need to know so they don't get mixed up with this guy. He's also done alot of damage to businesses and I won't bring their names up, but these are some of the finest people, and businesses in the hobby and Hunt talks about them like they were dogs. The guy has been banned from here, yet I did a search and see that he's a member again. I thought Marc Vigod banned that guy for life from here after all the trouble he caused here on RCU. Please don't mod this post or ban me. I'm not looking for trouble. I just don't want to see good people end up with nothing but grief because of this guy. He is not a modeler and does not know what the hobby is about. Modelers don't do the things he does to others. From what i understand the guy is pretty much through as far as the hobby goes anyway, so let's hope he doesn't cause anymore trouble. []
Old 05-16-2004, 10:48 PM
Flyfalcons

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: JBanks523

Pugs, you got banned from DOD???c I didn't know that! Hell, I thought you were a moderator for the IMAC forum... That makes me think...
Pugs wasn't the only good person to get banned from there. I never had a chance to get banned; I stopped going there after some people I know were banned for similar reasons. They may have banned my account because I never responded to their requests to change my user name to my real name. I figured having my real name in my signature was good enough.
Old 05-16-2004, 11:21 PM
Shortman
My Feedback: (21)

I was banned about 2 years ago, when the Pitts first started it seemed. I voiced my opinion here on RCU about the Dave Patrick Extra being a very capable 3D plane. Shoot, I even showed him Zak West video footage doing harrier rolling circles and torque rolling on the deck. Apparently the video evidence made him made and he banned me. I have had a few emails from him asking for my apology and that I remove anything I ever said about him. Basically that didn't work. I just forget about him, not of any importance.
Old 05-16-2004, 11:42 PM
Mike Rojas
My Feedback: (2)

I sure would like to know what this "damage" is he has caused? I've been in this hobby for 8 years and giant scale for 5. I think the hobby is stronger than ever. There are more quality ARF's out there,more quality Gas engines than ever, and mor guys flying them. It wasn't long ago that my H-9 1/4 scale Cap was the biggest attraction at our field. Today it would be one of the smallest planes out there. You all keep saying he's caused so much damage we don't even know,well enlighten us! Tell us just some of it if it's so damaging! Yea Joe is biased,but what sponsored person isn't,wether it be model airplane pilots,athletes or actor/actortresses. Do you really think those models use Maybeline makeup or Panteen hair products? Do you really think Michael Jordan or Shaq believe Reebok or Nike or the best shoes the've ever worn? I have had several disagreements with Joe and never been banned. Some of you probablly remember the great 3W-DA thread I was involved in. Maybe I'm a little more mature than the average model airplane hobbist,but I make my own decisions. I research,use forums like this one and d-o-w-n-on-t-h-e-d-e-c-k to gain information from people who have actually used a product,not just Joe and then decide. I'd seriously doubt one guy can bring down this hobby.or do that much damage. Heck there is a forum right here on this site that allows people to openly bash manfacturers,yet no one complains about that. I don't remember anyone crying about Qui-Qui when he switch to JR and ran an ad in every magazine saying how he could actually "feel the difference" and how his Futaba took 8 hours to program and JR took 20 mins. I really don't know what kind of guy Joe Hunt is,and I really don't care. I think all these personal attacks are way out of line,and until I see some actual proof,my feelings won't change. I would say the same about anyone if I read all this without any proof of the accusations. I did/do enjoy his site and gained lots of good info from "The Pits". Yea,I know he said some things about reputable companies,but do you know for sure,with proof,physical evidence,that he's wrong.? Nor do we know for sure he's right.
God gave us all common sense and the ability to think for ourselves,so use your God given ability and think for yourselves. Come on guys it's just a hobby,fun remember,if you've made it a way of life,come down to earth and get a real life.
Mike
Old 05-17-2004, 12:06 AM
flier
My Feedback: (7)

AMEN!!!!!!!
Old 05-17-2004, 01:35 AM
14th_Reaper
My Feedback: (-1)

I have to agree with Mike. Whether you like Joe or not, most all the guys at the pits are very mature and well informed about what is going on. No whining or bashing. Just a bunch of guys helping each other enjoy the hobby more. I don't read every single post Joe writes or even every review. I pick and choose what I read. Joe has his own site... dod that he can post and do whatever the heck he likes. I enjoy reading the pits more so than dod. On the pits, you ask a question and get a related answer from knoweldgeable guys, not speculation and half answers that I have seen on other forums. The personal attacks are stupid no matter who they are from or to whom they are addressed. Joe's and Marc's problem are between them, as are 3W vs DA, or Hitec vs JR vs Futaba. It is cool that we all have brand loyalty and we speak our minds about our products that we favor. Finding someone whose opinion you trust is what this is all about. I would rather find a truly unbiased opinion about the products that I want to compare but that is hard to do.

Joe gets paid to endorse what he does. I wish I were so lucky, and I bet you do to. Those endorsements change. Do you think 3W would be very happy to see Joe or anyone else say Hey, 3W is paying me all this money in equipment and cash, but I really do like DA better? No more so that Budweiser would feel about Dale Jr. drinking a coor light after a race or Rusty Wallace drinking a Bud instead of a Miller.

Thats enough of a rant, lets let Joe do what he wants to do and try to keep the peace so we can all be more informed about RC instead of who is being paid what to fly whatever.
Old 05-17-2004, 02:18 AM
SharksTooth

There are two things that are a little misleading here that I read. The first thing is that a couple folks here are talking abut DoD in the present tense. DoD doesn't exist anymore. Joe pulled it down because people were onto him and he knew he better loose some of the evidence. The second thing I noticed is the fact that people make statements that Joe is a supported pilot. He is not a supported pilot, and I know for a fact that most of them have pulled the plug on him. That was why he made that last 'grand slam' on a few of them in that nasty gram that he posted where his site used to be. Now was that that somebody that represented his supporters? Joe may have a company supporting him, or maybe two, but most companies in the R/C industry are reputable places of business. No reputable company would ever have dealings with that guy. DoD is gone, let it die, and so is Joe. Nobody did anything to him. He did it to himself, and you people say you need proof? You have people right here giving it to you telling you exactly what he has done to them. I told you in my post above that the guy sent me nasty grams on an e-mail list I was on. That pales in comparison to the death threats he made toward a fellow modeler! He was kicked out of that club and carted off by police! Yeah, death threats! That's what this hobby is all about isn't it? Well that ain't the hobby I'm involved with, nor is it the hobby that anybody I know is involved with, and I'm glad everybody has had it with that guy and is sending the message that were not gonna tolerate that kind of behavior in this hobby. It just does not belong here at all. There is absolutely no justification or rationalization for threatening to kill someone in the hobby or anywhere! The safety officer in that club stated that Joe said "I Will Kill You". Listen to that! That makes me madder than h3!! just reading that. I'm sorry. I've never said anything like this about anyone but I'm glad that guy is gone. I don't want people around me who are that nuts, and they sure don't need to be flying high powered GS airplanes.
Old 05-17-2004, 02:49 AM
donhamp

Pugs wasn't the only good person to get banned from there. I never had a chance to get banned; I stopped going there after some people I know were banned for similar reasons. They may have banned my account because I never responded to their requests to change my user name to my real name. I figured having my real name in my signature was good enough.
Ryan, I am very familiar with the situation that you are talking about, and I think if a comment is made you ought to tell the whole story.

There was a thread about an individual having engine issues. It ended up turning into a DA vs. 3W thread. The thread was heated but not out of control. Then on an afternoon two individuals decided to take it to another level. There were bashing remarks to both Joe and 3W. At that point the two individuals were banned and the remarks were removed.

Lets examine this: They are on Joe's personal site bashing him and one of his sponsors. If you come in my house and start criticizing me and making rude comments, I'm kicking you out! I would expect that most people would do the same in their own homes. D.O.D. is Joe's personal site.

Now the next part comes into play. Those individuals were only banned for about two days, and then they were let back on. They were given a cool down period and then allowed to return. Both of which continued to be in The Pits on a regular basis and were always welcome to be there as well.

Anyone could make a negative comment. They were just asked to do it with maturity and respect. We didn't allow BASHING or Flaming. Whether it was a person or a product, you can say you don't care for something, just have some tact when you did it. Supply tangible facts and reasoning and there was never a problem. But to just say that a product is garbage, or a motor is a piece of crap, that's unnecessary and simply litters up a thread. Then if you go in and challenge the owner of the site that you are frequenting for all to see, you can rest assured you'll get booted. When you have many many people that are posting and enjoying themselves and having a good time and you have one individual that you have to watch each and every post do to their offensive mannerisms and that individual is consuming a majority of your time it's just easier to cut them loose. There is no reason to have to waste time removing bashes and flames.

In The Pits members respected one another and enjoyed each other’s company. I always found it funny how someone would make a comment on one of their first posts and then say, "I know I'm going to get flamed for this but..." That trash didn't happen on there. We, as a group of modelers had respect for one another and most everyone respected the rules that Joe had in place. Those that didn’t had no reason to continue to be a member. Honestly, why would you want to frequent a place that allows bashing and flaming anyway? Why would you want to be the focus of a roast? Now, with a huge emphasis on the positive you will have some biases as well. That's where the R/C enthusiast needs to weight the information and assess what they want to draw from it. Everyone has the option of using many other forums to get a second or third opinion, if they elect to only use the information from one source then that is their choice.

When Joe switched from DA to 3W there were three threads posted that were filled with comments, some of which were very unnecessary and distasteful. The only person that was affected by that switch was Joe. Although many things were said, nobody was banned. They said their piece and then went on. I'm not really a fan of brand loyalty so I found the whole thing to be distasteful, but all in all it quickly went away. As stated above, Mike was very vocal about his discontent about the decision but he wasn't banned he said his piece but he did it with tact and used some thought before he hit the submit button. There are those who never took that extra minute to review what they were about to say to everyone and were found to be offensive. Pugs, you were always very vocal about things that you disagreed on. To me, many of the things that you said were offensive. Joe was very tolerant of your derogatory remarks. Your comments on the Aeroworks models were simply a slam. When you were asked to refrain from slamming them, you did it again. Joe, the owner of the site removed your comment due to a total lack of tact, and then contacted you about it. Then you made the same remark again. For antagonizing the situation you were banned. You and I both know you were given the opportunity to return, and you refused. I am absolutely positive that had you had said that you felt the planes were inferior because of some valid reasons your comment would have stayed and there wouldn't have been any issue what so ever. But by saying that a manufacturer produces junk and leaving it at that, it only invites ten more posts to say "yeah, yeah" and the thread becomes a negative thread that has no foundation. There is no reason to keep a thread that is filled with nothing but negative remarks and has no validity. Joe has no affiliation with Aeroworks so his reasoning was based purely on the lack of tact in the post.

There are many people that I have met throughout my life that I didn't like; there are a few that I will never like. But, I have not made it a passion to degrade them when I'm in the company of others either. I simply omit them from my life. None of these same people will ever be welcome in my home or asked to eat a meal that I have prepared for them. On that same line, if someone that I had invited over for a meal and conversation started insulting me because they didn't like the food that I had prepared, they would be asked to leave. There is a measure of respect that everyone expects and deserves. You can say what you want about trying to save the hobby or defend the hobbyist from Joe but the fact is that the nasty personal attacks that are posted in this and other forums are a serious black eye on the hobby and are doing far more damage than good.
Old 05-17-2004, 07:39 AM
Hammbone

You are wrong. People do not just get banned from making personal attacks. I was banned, and I did not make any personal attacks. I went out of my way to be fair and nice. I was still banned because I nicely showed Joe for what he is.
He publicly accused someone of plagerism on his DOD site without any proof and without even contacting the guy to ask him about it personally. He broke his own rules of being negative and making personal attacks. When I nicely pointed that out and suggested he make a public apology, I was banned and never given an opportunity to come back. I heard from lots of others that were banned just because they said something about some product that Joe didn't like.

You people say you liked to go there for information. Why? It is all biased. Only the info that agrees with Joe is allowed so what good is it? You are only hearing one side of the story. If you ask a question about something, you will only get the Joe approved answer. I'd rather have free speech and a variety of opinions.

Jim
Old 05-17-2004, 07:48 AM
pcm
My Feedback: (13)

ORIGINAL: Hammbone
You people say you liked to go there for information. Why? It is all biased. Only the info that agrees with Joe is allowed so what good is it? You are only hearing one side of the story. If you ask a question about something, you will only get the Joe approved answer. I'd rather have free speech and a variety of opinions.
This is very much factual. I have lurked around the Pitts many times and even asked questions to get help. But I have seen posts deleted because they did not agree with Joe. I have seen posts bashing other manufactures and even specific people because that is what Joe wanted.

So to say "We didn't allow BASHING or Flaming." Is very untrue.
Old 05-17-2004, 09:01 AM
nyrcpilot
My Feedback: (5)

From what I saw Joe was removing ANY negative posts for any product...even the ones he did not use.
In fact he has even removed some of my posts...LOL.

There is moderation on all forums, in fact once the right person on this site sees THIS thread I am sure it will be locked as well.
Moderation is always an opinion of the person moderating. If the level on moderation on the PITS was not accpetable just leave.

Some of you mention that he was damaging the hobby with the Pits forum, taking away a product xxx sucks post is damaging? "Pulling the wool over the eyes of someone looking at product xxx"??
What if product xxx was the product you were loyal to in this case? Like someone said earlier "use your common sense to make your own opinion" ....if you want Joe's opinion....like any other business or sponsor expect it to be biased....that does not mean they are bad products, or the best products....again "one man's opinion" does not make him a bad person!

Some of you seem so angry that he banned you...so what...we are all "banned" now[&o] Want something more "open"??? There are other sandboxes to play in on the internet

Ron Forbus
Old 05-17-2004, 09:18 AM
Pugsley-RCU
My Feedback: (15)

Joe banned Tim Mills, one of the real nice guys in our hobby cause he didn't like that Joe said "IMAC was like watching paint dry". This was the sub title that Joe used to describe the IMAC forum. When Tim, the mod, said something Joe took Tim's donation money and banned him.

I got banned cause I would say things about comments like this (Joe made this comment):

Yup... I was talking to Tom and said, "Either you're pretty smart or you've been listening to what I've been saying since I flew the DPM Extra over 2 years ago." He said, "Hell yeah, I'm smart!" I said, "You've been listening to me, haven't you?"

Joe thinks he is the self proclaimed "God Father" of giant scale. He needs to wake up and see that he is nothing more than a spoiled brat that cought a few breaks due to the amount of people going to his site. He got a lot of freebies this way. Then he turned on the compaines as soon as they stopped the free ride. Sure it was Joe's site. But at some point you if you are going to offer a service for pay than you need to allow people to say their opinion as long as it is constructive.

After having a few email conversations with Joe I'd have to say that most of what you hear is pure BS......

Pugs
Old 05-17-2004, 10:09 AM
jroy

ORIGINAL: Pugsley-RCU

This guy is a real loon and needs to stay out of the forums business. Unless he can allow people to have an opinion. I got banned cause I did agree with him that Aeroworks ARF were worth a crap and that 3W motors were not as nice as DA.

If he brings the site back up I recommend you stay away.....of you do decide to go there....just lurk....

Pugs
Hey Pugs.. I spoke with you a few time on the site and you helped me out with some IMAC info.. In fact you moderated that area... I must say I am A little suprised you were kicked off, you seem like a great guy to me.. Sorry to hear it, but hey there is a new site coming up and a lot of the pits guys will hang out there, I hope you turn up there.. I like this site a lot, as well.. see ya

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.