Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

DA50 Balance in Edge - pull pull elevator?

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

DA50 Balance in Edge - pull pull elevator?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2004, 11:14 AM
RCAddiction
My Feedback: (87)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DA50 Balance in Edge - pull pull elevator?

To address the balance issue with the DA50 in the Edge -
- Has anyone tried to relocate the elevator servos to the main compartment (near the rudder servo) and do pull-pull for the elevator halves? I'd rather not add weight to the nose, nor am I really comfortable with having the receiver battery and switch located up front in or adjacent to the motor box.

If you have done this, please post some photos! I am going with the vinyl coated kevlar cord for rudder pull-pull anyhow, so RFI with all of those cables in the tail should not be a concern.

thanks!
Old 09-01-2004, 09:39 PM
dannny745
My Feedback: (-1)

Default RE: DA50 Balance in Edge - pull pull elevator?

my 300 spec cg right at 3" with bat in front of wing tube.i haven't flown yet but did rage checks no motor and with motor at idle and half throttle..sofar so good flying friday 8-3..can'tfly thurs because my feild is within 20 miles of airport faa say no flying no kites no rockets..i here its because some guy said he wanted to fly his rc plane into the garden or something..silly ..here are some pics
http://www.edge540t.com/index.html good pics here too
notE had to move batt,in front of wing tube on the sides so cg is ok now,will have new pics soon.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq48306.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	169414  
Old 09-01-2004, 09:53 PM
RCAddiction

Thanks Danny, but the Edge has the balance issue with the DA, not the Extra as far as I know. This is due to the different wing planform requiring the CG to be located further forward than the Extra. That would be the only reason for considering pulling the elevator servos from the tail.
Old 09-01-2004, 11:42 PM
Icebird

I don't know why you would have to do that! I have a DA 50 in my Edge, and with the flight pack attached to the front of the wing tube, I'm just ahead of 5 inches for the CG. I am using pull pull for the rudder, and the throttle and choke servos are mounted in the radio tray just ahead of the rudder servo. I will admit to using a fairly heavy prop, a Biela 22X8, but the balance is not a problem. Have you tried balancing yours or are you just hearing of problems and thinking you might have a problem?

Jim
Old 09-02-2004, 07:39 AM
RCAddiction

Jim,

Yup, exactly as you've stated....I've just been reading of problems and seeing what people have done on their Edges to resolve them. I'm encouraged by your results, though.

My DA is installed and cowl cutout, ignition and all batteries installed. That's as far as I've had time to do. Seems like a number of folks have put their RX batteries way up front. I have actually done this as well, since creating this post originally. I'm leary of the RX batteries being so far up front near the ignition, because of the possible RF, but I've been assured that the DA module is much better at suppressing RF than the CH Ignitions that I'm accustomed to. The RX batteries are 8" or so away from anything in the ignition system.

I guess I won't know until I finish this plane, eh?
Old 09-02-2004, 10:59 AM
Icebird

Pretty much. I'm not in favor of putting batteries up front either. Sure, some people get away with it, but it's a matter of "headroom". You might get a decent range check, but it may be that just a little extra noise will put you over the limit, and then you're in REAL trouble. I've always felt it's better to be safe than sorry. I've even gone as far as putting weight up front to avoid having the batteries too close to the ignition. A heavier spinner or a lighter tail wheel will make an INCREDIBLE difference in CG.

Good luck
Jim
Old 09-02-2004, 11:29 AM
NOVAflier
My Feedback: (21)

What is this RC Blip tail wheel I have seen mentioned in a few spots? Anyone know about it or where to see/buy one?
Old 09-02-2004, 11:53 AM
mdavies31

Try here:

http://members.aol.com/rcblimppro/page2.html
Old 09-02-2004, 03:59 PM
dannny745

hey guys i here that the da50r has almost no rf because of there ignition box..if you are leary>>>>>>>>
i put a eagle tree data recorder on my extra..eagle tree says to stop interferance use feritecores.or rf chokes..with data recorder your tx may cause flikers in recorder.they say use feritecores.and they said they are good for ignition too..
i only put a rfchoke on the data recorder..and batterys up front i have no range probs..
also i am new and see alot of gasers with the atana on the inside running back..that will cause some range loss ..don't look good but you will have full range if outside..
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om32650.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	169597  
Old 09-02-2004, 07:56 PM
Icebird

Using ferrites without doing proper analysis is like not measuring how much oil you're putting in your gas! As I said earlier, sometimes you MIGHT get away with the batteries up front, but it might be also that you are getting lucky, and that little extra bit of interference one day may just be all it takes to finish your bird! I can put my finger through a candle flame, but if I hold it there a little while, I'll get burned! Because something works, doesn't mean it will always work, or that you should be recommending that others do it. A lot of new GS fliers are building these planes, and if they listen to the bad advice, they're not going to have a good experience!

Jim
Old 09-06-2004, 09:43 PM
splais
My Feedback: (25)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know were this balance issue with the Edge has come from. I've had two with DA50's in them neither required ANY weight adding or major adjustments. On my current (2nd) 28% Edge I actually moved the receiver battery back! She flies beautifully. Here is how I set mine up. Keep in mind I am also using the lightweight wingtube and fiberglass landing gear. Everything else is stock.

Hitec 5945 elevator servos in stock postion.
JR8611 rudder servo in rear hole.
CDI unit and 4cell ignition battery mounted on sides of engine box
Slimline inverted pitts style muffler
Receiver and receiver 5cell battery located just in front of rudder servo
Two Hitec 225MG mini servos for throttle and choke located just aft of second (main) firewall.

I don't even know were the CG is on this one, but it flies beautifully and I could probably move it back a tad more. On my first Edge I had the exact same setup but with the receiver battery on the floor in front of fuel tank (just over gear) and the cg was right at 4.5-5"
Old 09-06-2004, 10:44 PM
RCAddiction

Well, it's all installed except for the RX, (2) Perfect failsafe switch/regulators, Jomar Battery Backer which still need to be connected. Waiting for my pilot to arrive in the mail as well.

Mine has the WH fiberglass landing gear (looks very nice) and a Graphtec CF tailwheel, Hangar 9 lightweight main wheels. The elevator servos were mounted in the normal tail location. 8611 rudder servo placed in the rearmost servo tray hole. 8611's in the wing. Menz prop, and dual batteries on the engine box.

With everything placed in position, the CG actually came out at 4.5". Borderline noseheavy with the batteries up front!!

So, I will likely move the RX batteries rearward toward the wing tube, as mentioned above to get closer to 4.75-5". It wasn't a big deal after all on mine. Weight came in at 18lbs, 1.5 oz, accounting for the 2.5 oz pilot.
Old 09-07-2004, 08:23 AM
willy94
My Feedback: (11)

If you want to make the balancing really easy without going to extremes, use a CF stab tube. I got one at .5 inch diameter and 22 inches long to $ 17 bucks. Worked like a charm and I am using a DA50. also, allowed me to use CF landing gear, tail wheel, without having to move everything to correct for the weight of the engine.

John
Old 09-07-2004, 09:43 AM
Scoubidou
My Feedback: (17)

John,
Where did you buy that stab tube?
Old 09-07-2004, 10:12 AM
NOVAflier
My Feedback: (21)

I emailed Troy Built models asking them that question (if they had a tube for the stabs) I told them it was 17 1/4" long 1/2" od. They did not have one. What is the length the tube for the stabs should be?
Old 09-07-2004, 07:13 PM
dannny745

don't people range check there planes?????????
if it range checks at 100ft running with no glitchs isnt that good..
the ferite core is for a data recorder..sow when my tx is close i don't get any false reading..
as far as i know and i am new but the rx and ignition box is what you have to keep away from each other.o and no servo to motor should have meatal clevises if you have metal rods...i have about 15 gassers at my feild and all use there batterys for cg..one guy has everything except the rx in behind the motor box..this is on a 46%h8 bipe with 3w150..
if i am wroung about rx and ignition it would be nice to know before i build my 40%...
of course this dosenot apply to magnitos and other motors that the ignition box is not built to stop rf..
from what i here 3w and da are the best some people have servos right next to the ignition box about 3"away from motor...wouln't a servo cause more interf,then a battery?????????
Old 09-08-2004, 08:25 AM
willy94
My Feedback: (11)

PrecisionAeroComposites carries the CF stab Tube. The stock is 22 inches and I just cut the extra off to match the supplied tube.

John