Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Giant Scalers Vote! What brand servos do you fly your giant scale planes with?

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!
View Poll Results: A poll
JR Servos
29.56%
Futaba Servos
14.88%
Hitec Servos
50.99%
Airtronics Servos
2.18%
Other
2.38%
Voters: 504. You may not vote on this poll

Giant Scalers Vote! What brand servos do you fly your giant scale planes with?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2004, 07:22 PM
mvigod
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Giant Scalers Vote! What brand servos do you fly your giant scale planes with?

Just a short unscientific poll. Curious what brand our members here who fly giant scale planes use for servos.

If you use more than 1 brand you may select the ones you use.
Old 10-24-2004, 06:26 PM
allr
My Feedback: (49)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Giant Scalers Vote! What brand servos do you fly your giant scale planes with?

Over the years I have use Jr,futuba,cirrus,hitec,ace,airtronics,hobbico,towe rhobbies and afew I am not sure what they were. The past five years have used mostly hitec in my large scale warbirds. Actually, myself and two other friends that fly large warbirds. Recently moved up to the digital servos. No failures and the price is more reasonable than JR/Futuba. I think there is a problem with having to pay 150.00 for a servo.
Old 10-24-2004, 09:42 PM
fwman1
My Feedback: (22)

Default RE: Giant Scalers Vote! What brand servos do you fly your giant scale planes with?

HS-475 cheap, strong, 6V, no failures ever
Old 10-25-2004, 10:52 AM
mike gruenwald

hi tec servos have way too much backlash for proper centering
Old 10-25-2004, 12:31 PM
Scar
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hm. Didn't know that. They seem fine, for proper flying, though

Dave Olson

ORIGINAL: mike gruenwald

hi tec servos have way too much backlash for proper centering
Old 10-25-2004, 08:52 PM
lwheat2083

I have flown Giant Scale warbirds over the years and a couple of the Extra 300's. I have gone through most of the brands but have decided on the Hitec series. I now employ the new Hitec digital servos and have had only one failure and that was caught on a preflight. Hitec replaced the gear set at no charge and I have experienced no further problems. I feel they are a great products and at a reasonable price. It helps to have the excellant customer service as well.
Old 10-25-2004, 08:59 PM
HvyDrvr
My Feedback: (1)

I concur with the HiTec Servos. Never a problem, and have been using the digital along with the programer since they have been available, never a problem. They are in my sport, IMAC and warbirds. I plan to get more for future projects.

Rod
Old 10-25-2004, 09:06 PM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

5645's: 168 ounce at 6 volts. Plenty.
Old 10-26-2004, 06:56 PM
Stick Jammer

This is a very interesting poll. Hitec digitals are always getting a bad rap here on RCU yet the percentage of people using Hitec servos in GS is about twice as many using JR. These numbers are of course for those who have responded to the poll.
Old 10-26-2004, 07:12 PM
mvigod
Banned

ORIGINAL: Stick Jammer

This is a very interesting poll. Hitec digitals are always getting a bad rap here on RCU yet the percentage of people using Hitec servos in GS is about twice as many using JR. These numbers are of course for those who have responded to the poll.

Correct. If this poll is shaping up to be statistically significant one could expect that the reports of absolute failures of a hitec servo be 2x that of JR assuming identical failure rate percentages for a servo.

In other words if for example 1000 servos were sold and the failure rate for BOTH brands was 1% then 10 servos would be defective out of that 1000. In the world we would see 1000 servos sold by JR and 10 defective and Hitec would have 2000 servos sold with 20 defective. You would hear reports of 20 defective servos with Hitec versus 10 for JR although the failure rate per 1000 servos was identical. All the numbers are of course 100% hypothetical to explain the concept to those unfamiliar with statistics.

Some select individuals have alluded that the rate of failure is higher on Hitec's which I don't believe is accurate to judge based on the data set those users have. If Hitec is outselling the nearest competitor 2 to 1 then it could be reasonably argued that one might expect to hear 2x the reports of "absolute" failure. Again this addresses failure rates and not whether any particular brand does or does not ever fail.
Old 10-26-2004, 07:32 PM
mAvRiCk-inactive

One of you mods deleted my posts...
Old 10-26-2004, 07:40 PM
mvigod
Banned

ORIGINAL: mAvRiCk

One of you mods deleted my posts...

Not in this thread they didn't. I would see them. Mods can only recycle posts which still lets me view them and there is no post in this thread made by you. Maybe you have this thread confused with another?
Old 10-26-2004, 08:28 PM
Bob101

Looks like Futaba needs to invest more into servo development/merchandising rather than releasing a $2200 radio.
Old 10-26-2004, 10:14 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've used about all of them, and it's no secret that I made a complete switch awhile back. To date, I have absolutely no reason whatsoever to use anything but JR.
Old 10-26-2004, 11:40 PM
Leardriver
My Feedback: (12)

It's real simple...do the search "8411 failure", "5945 failure", and "8611 failure". It's amazing because almost every thread that deals with a servo failure is discussing a Hitec failure...not a JR failure. Even the 8411 threads. Guys ***** about the wear on the 8411 servos, but almost no one talking about a failure...especially one that cause a crash. Just get a pencil and paper and start wting down how many you find that are refering to Hitec failure vs JR failure. If you read through them it is very obvious the rate of failure with the Hitecs are MUCH higher than any other brand...couple that with the fact that when a new "Hitec Thread" does pop up there is always a Hitec rep telling the guy how he more than likely "didn't set it up right/didn't have adaquate power/bad extentions?bla bla bla"! Basically they go on about how they have never had a failue and it's the users fault......it's like clockwork! Don't take my word for...go read the threads for yourself.

Leardriver
Old 10-27-2004, 01:36 AM
mglavin
My Feedback: (31)

Why is it so hard to comprehend the concept with regard to units sold verses purported servo failures?

And why are so many grouping servo failures together across the board; associating failure with issues that were born from crash damage, poor installation, inadequate power supplies, components utilized with higher than average electrical losses and lastly errors associated with installation be it mechanical/set-up/radio programming and the like and not to mention any unknown factor(s), i.e.; are you 100% sure the servo caused the problem, is it simply easier to point your finger at a servo verses find the root cause.

I am not suggesting that Hitec’s digitals don’t fail either; they do like all the rest. And it's really true, I have yet to experience a Hitec 5100, 5200, 5700, 5900 Digital servo failure. I did loose two 5645's during the bench burn-in a few years back.

Some of you have not been involved with this stuff (high power digital servos) as long as others that said if you had been you’d likely know that 8411’s have had their share of problems, obviously much more than is common knowledge. Have they crashed models, YES? I know of many… Additionally before the advent of the Matchbox many regularly had problems, what do you think necessitated the need for this gadget to begin with?

Sorry Paul, but I have the knowledge base, experience and more to accredit my assertions. Not only are my assertions and those of others plausible with regard to the purported failures or NOT herein of Hitecs Digitals, but they can be documented. No hearsay, rhetoric, finger pointing, lack of personal responsibility, personal agendas or the like, just the facts like it or not.
Old 10-27-2004, 07:48 AM
mvigod
Banned

Please keep this on topic only. This is simply a poll to find out approximately what percentage each company has in the GS market to determine the corresponding reports of failure that could be expected. At this time I do not want this to veer into any drawn conclusion chatter as I have just removed 2 posts that went into that territory.
Old 10-28-2004, 06:13 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: RCadmin

Correct. If this poll is shaping up to be statistically significant one could expect that the reports of absolute failures of a hitec servo be 2x that of JR assuming identical failure rate percentages for a servo.

In other words if for example 1000 servos were sold and the failure rate for BOTH brands was 1% then 10 servos would be defective out of that 1000. In the world we would see 1000 servos sold by JR and 10 defective and Hitec would have 2000 servos sold with 20 defective. You would hear reports of 20 defective servos with Hitec versus 10 for JR although the failure rate per 1000 servos was identical. All the numbers are of course 100% hypothetical to explain the concept to those unfamiliar with statistics.

Some select individuals have alluded that the rate of failure is higher on Hitec's which I don't believe is accurate to judge based on the data set those users have. If Hitec is outselling the nearest competitor 2 to 1 then it could be reasonably argued that one might expect to hear 2x the reports of "absolute" failure. Again this addresses failure rates and not whether any particular brand does or does not ever fail.

I've read plenty of threads about Hitec failures. Can't say I've EVER read about a JR servo failing. Maybe I don't read enough, but it seams to me that while Hitec may be outselling JR 2 too 1-- you read a lot more complaints about Hitec failures than JR. More than twice as many failures in Hitecs-- if you read around here on the forums.

So- Hitec outsells JR 2:1, but they fail more than twice as often. I'd be more inclined to believe that of 1000 servos sold by each manuf. that maybe 10 JR would fail and more like 25-30 Hitec would fail. Same thing if you multiply the numbers. 3000 servos sold would yield 30 failed JRs and 75-90 failed Hitecs.

I got no scientific evidence to back it up. Just know that I've personally experienced Hitec failures and switched back to JR. I've probably read 200 threads on RCU about failed Hitecs. Can honestly say I've never heard of a failed JR servo.

Guess which ones I use?

Personally, I've lost 2 planes to Hitecs. Total loss of about $2500. Never lost a plane since I switched BACK to JRs.
Old 10-28-2004, 06:49 PM
MHawker
My Feedback: (16)

Had some "issues" with Hitec digital servos. I doubt I'll buy anymore.
Old 10-30-2004, 01:06 PM
Mike Bogh
My Feedback: (14)

OK for myself, the TRUTH is, I am using Hitec 5945's and the big ole 5375 in my WHEdge, 185 flights with no problems whatsoever.
Am I concerned about them failing?
Damn skippy I am.
With 2 more 30% planes planned for the immediate future, I am more than seriously considering switching to JR 8611's.
There, I've said it.
I have a confidence problem with Hitec.
My real life experience tells me not to worry, they are fast, accurate and an exellent value.
I guess the proof of the pudding will be the day I whack the CC and buy more servos.
Until then, I can't say for sure what I'll buy.
Old 10-30-2004, 02:04 PM
bhanley

Use only JR 8411 and 8611
Bruce
Old 10-30-2004, 04:45 PM
cbk07
My Feedback: (64)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Hitecs are fine for my foamies and .40 size funflies, but anything I care about gets JR from now on. Too many horror stories with the Hitecs and when you have up to $7000 in a plane, why would anyone take a chance on budget servos? Craig
Old 10-30-2004, 05:11 PM
Gismo

Hitec 35945 and HS-5975 are what I use. No problems and the programmer saves me money on Match Boxes. Good success and no failures. I am building a Great Planes 330L and intend to use them in this plane as well. Everything else is JR. I still feel the difference. Jr servos and excellent as well, but about $20-30 more.

Gismo
Old 10-30-2004, 08:20 PM
Stick Jammer

I don't think this thread was meant to be another debate on what's better guys. Just a simple poll to find out what people are using.
Old 10-30-2004, 08:28 PM
mvigod
Banned

ORIGINAL: Stick Jammer

I don't think this thread was meant to be another debate on what's better guys. Just a simple poll to find out what people are using.

Correct. All posts not following this will be removed without notice.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.