Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Ultra Stick LITE Done Right ..!

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Ultra Stick LITE Done Right ..!

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 03:55 PM
bike44

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Ultra Stick LITE Done Right ..!

Bill,

You mentioned that you had a G38 mounted on a Kmp Beaver. I have just purchased a KMP Beaver and I am looking to install a G38 on my unit as well. Question, was the mounting of the G38 straight forward or did you have to make some adjustments? Since the G38 is heavier than the recomended G26, was additional weight needed for balancing?

Larry
Old 05-21-2007, 12:21 AM
Wild RC

I'm trying to figure out how to mount my new G26 on my new Ultra Stick Lite. The major issue is, where to I mount the thrust line of the engine in relation to the fuselage. Neither the engine or Ultra Stick manuals seem to have this information. Thanks.

I like the short nose option to help with the weigh CG issue. I might try that after I get it flying on a regular nose.
Old 05-21-2007, 04:43 AM
R/C Foolish
My Feedback: (6)

Make sure you reinforce the firewall, pin, fiberglass whatever you can. My G-26 vibrated the wall right out of the plane and Horizon just said it was too much power.

R/C Foolish
Old 06-04-2007, 09:14 PM
dstueber1

what does it mean to "pin" and "glass" the firewall? i just cut 4 inches off the front of my USL and moved the servos to the tail. also, why are you sending you're G26's to Ralph? is he making them better or what?

Thanks for the replies.

Danny
Old 06-05-2007, 04:57 AM
R/C Foolish
My Feedback: (6)

You want to put retaining pins into the firewall from the sides to fix it to the sidewall. Also add some fiberglass to the inside corners to strenghten it. I have seen 2 G-26's pull the firewall right off the Ultra Stik's. Ralph converts the stock G-26's to electronic ignition.

R/C Foolish
Old 07-02-2007, 01:05 AM
dstueber1

hi there,

i did the modification of cutting 4 inches off the nose, and moved both rudder and elevator servos to the tail. now, will the CG be the same now that i made these modifications?

it seems like the CG would change because i took length off the nose... is this true?

thanks

-danny
Old 08-18-2007, 03:44 PM
texasskydiver
My Feedback: (8)

Great thread...I just got me an almost new g26 for 225 at a swap meet earlier today. Now I just need the Ultra Stick. Looking forward to getting it in the air...sounds like a hoot to fly.

I have to get rid of my Saito 180 and OS 160...figure that should cover it and then some. I will post pics once I get started.

See ya,
Howie

Old 02-17-2008, 02:07 AM
Tweet
My Feedback: (1)

I know this is an old thread, but the "pig" in the hummer didn't fail to tie down your airplane. People aren't supposed to deal with RC airplanes flying out of trucks on the road dude.
Old 02-17-2008, 08:34 AM
zzw26n
My Feedback: (45)

what ever happened to 'desert pig' ??? I liked the guy, very cool. I put one of these together two years ago and flew the crap out of it, at least 200 flights. Sold it to a club member and he's still flying it. In 15-20 mile wind, it would land vertically, lots of fun.
Old 02-18-2008, 10:06 PM
RACJ

I have the "older" Ultra Stick. It's suppose to be 2.5 lbs heavier. I have G-26 NIB.Since everyone says G-26 on theLite is almost too much would it fly the heavier Ultra Stick with plenty of power?? would it hover and have vertical?? Anyone had this combo in the past??
Old 02-19-2008, 06:52 AM
zzw26n
My Feedback: (45)

ORIGINAL: RACJ

I have the "older" Ultra Stick. It's suppose to be 2.5 lbs heavier. I have G-26 NIB.Since everyone says G-26 on theLite is almost too much would it fly the heavier Ultra Stick with plenty of power?? would it hover and have vertical?? Anyone had this combo in the past??
yes, if you could get it to 10-10.5 lbs. Mine was 10 lbs 4 oz, and it would perform very well.
Old 02-19-2008, 09:16 AM
Mr. Mugen

Man I wish I saw this thread a while back. I bought a USL from the lhs for 150.00. It was already built for static display. I dusted it off and put a new evolution 26GT on it. I also hooked up the quad flaps which sounds like a waste of time. So far I got all the servo's in, motor mounted, tank mounted, EI mounted above fuel tank and ready for rx and battery...then balance. It looks like I may want to rethink this set up. I read the first 4 pages and had to ask since I didn't see it skimming the rest....does anyone have this plane with the 26GT in it? If so what is your set up? Should I just sync. the flap servo's to run as ailerons only? Or put the ailerons back on?

Most likely will have more Q's but this would help get me off on the right wheel.

Thanks guy's,
Kevin
Old 02-20-2008, 05:21 PM
Mr. Mugen

Bump
Old 04-20-2009, 09:20 AM
AA5BY

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know that this thread is very old but it gets referenced and I'd like to add a few thoughts.

First, this thread began prior to the era of some really nice 1.2 size gassers that in my opinion really match up to the USL exceptionally well. The G-20 for example will provide unlimited vertical to the USL and it requires absolutely no changes to the air frame and balances perfectly.

Admittedly the vertical is not 3-D stuff but the USL has some real knife edge coupling issues that probably don't make it a good 3-D candidate anyway, though I'm not arguing that they can't be or haven't been overcome by either a good setup or flying skills.

Also within the thread is some theme that discounts the value of setting the plane up with the quad setup. I find it unfortunate that readers might think the quad setup is of little worth or value. A quad setup provides a whole different window of flying possibilities just as 3-D does. I find crow to be a hoot. As always, perspectives are what they are... reflections of what one sees and feels and are influenced greatly by individual wants.

Simply one more opinion...

Old 04-21-2009, 03:25 PM
GarySS
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm strongly considering this model which Horizon is bringing back in late June. It seems like it would be a good "mule" to flight test and tune in 4 of my engines ranging from the Saito 1.00, YS 1.10, Saito 1.50, and an OS 2.00.

Is anybody else looking forward to this reintroduction?
Old 04-21-2009, 07:19 PM
AA5BY

Gary... The USL is a favorite here and it unfortunately roosted in a tree and sheered off a wing among the damage. I'd hoped to replace it but found it discontinued so it has been rebuilt but not yet recovered (too many spring chores). I will buy another and lay it back as the USL gets twice the fly time as all the rest of the planes in the hanger combined for a variety of reasons.

1. It is a stick so is simple with no cowl or canopy.
2. It is a good windy day flier.
3. A small gas engine makes it economical to fly (typically 5-6 oz) of gas, usually requires no clean up and is very easy to start by hand so all I need at the flight line is a small gas can and the transmitter.
4. It flies great. If one wants to fly it like a Cub, it will. If one wished it to be fully aerobatic... it will do that too and it will do both those and more with all the same setup except popping the crow switch on the transmitter.
5. For a bigger plane, it requires very little runway. The quad aileron/flaps will yield very short takeoffs in the six foot range and landings in 20-30 ft or it can be flown like a typical sport airplane.
6. Even though the wing is one piece, it is easy to transport and setup takes only a minute to bolt the wing in place and because it is a high wing there is no flipping of the large plane to get at wing bolts or removing a canopy.

It is simply a no hassle but great flying machine.
Old 04-22-2009, 08:29 AM
Mr. Mugen

I must say this is probably one of my favorite planes. I mounted the 26GT2 to it and never looked back. It has about 100 flights on it now and many more to come. It will pull out of a hover with plenty left over. Does just about any maneuver with ease....except knife edge. It does not like knifeedge flight what so ever. Other than that this thing can fly slow enough to damn near stop, or aerobatic enough to just bring one plane to the field.

Kevin

P.S. I get around 30 minutes of flight out of a 12oz fill up.
Old 05-13-2009, 03:10 PM
dstueber1

Hi Folks,

I did the nose mod about a year ago, and flew the heck out of it, now i just got back into messing around with it.

Here is my problem... (With Zenoah G26)

I installed a new fuel tank yesterday because my old one was deteriorating around the opening. So i've got the new fuel tank installed, and it runs strong. I've got a large "clunk" inside of the tank so it can move around in there freely since the tygon tubing is so stiff. It run great straight and level, but as soon as I point the nose straight up, it dies after about 5 seconds or so. I am using a sullivan 12 oz fuel tank. I watch the fuel lines when I point the nose straight up, and air bubbles and/or gaps appear in the main fuel line, which in turn starves the engine of fuel, and makes it quit in the nose up configuration.

Does anybody have any tips to solve me problem?

Thanks for any tips,

-Danny
Old 05-13-2009, 03:36 PM
texasskydiver
My Feedback: (8)

Sounds like you have an air leak around the stopper on the fuel tank. Could be a leak in the fuel line in the tank near the stopper. Did you replace all of your fuel lines?
Old 05-13-2009, 03:53 PM
dstueber1

Thanks for your reply. I did replace the fuel lines, but they slide on and off easily on the brass tubes... what im going to try to do is get a narrower diameter fuel tubing so they fit tighter around the brass tank tubes.

-Danny
Old 05-19-2009, 01:46 AM
rockhouse
My Feedback: (5)

Just crashed my Jerry's big boy kit after one day. Looking at the USL to put my CCRC 26 in. Are y'all using CA hinges? How about tail bracing? Are they holding up pretty well with gassers vibrating the hell out of them?

Old 05-19-2009, 12:15 PM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Try using some fuel barbs orequivalent on the tank brass along with small zip ties to keep the fuel tubing in place and to provide an air tight connection.Iuse the Hayes seamless black 3/32" or 1/8" dia neoprene tubing for all in tank plumbing as it stays flexible and does not get stiff like Tygon does.

Karol
Old 05-20-2009, 09:06 AM
AA5BY

Another option is to wrap the brass fuel stems with a copper wire near the end and then solder to create a ridge. Then use small wire ties on the fuel tubing to lock in place.
Old 05-20-2009, 10:18 AM
Mr. Mugen

ORIGINAL: AA5BY

Another option is to wrap the brass fuel stems with a copper wire near the end and then solder to create a ridge. Then use small wire ties on the fuel tubing to lock in place.
This is exactly what I did. On my maiden I had prop strike (which I was unaware that it took 1/2 my prop dia away) which vibrated my line inside the tank off and ended up deasticking into the swamp. The copper wire tip works great....over 100 flights without a mishap since.

Kevin
Old 05-26-2009, 08:27 PM
GarySS
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, I've got my Ultra Stick 1.20 reserved and it should be here around June 20TH.
Issues to address?:

1. Replace Tail Gear?
2. Perhaps replace the rudder/ elevator pushrods?
3. Pin firewall
4. Other? (I will initally not use a gasser, but may do so much later)
Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.