Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

KMP 87" Yak-54 What do you Think?

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

KMP 87" Yak-54 What do you Think?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2004, 08:29 AM
stomper
My Feedback: (20)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: KMP 87" Yak-54 What do you Think?

Could some one post KMP web site link?

TIA
Old 12-24-2004, 12:41 PM
Eyeguy
My Feedback: (1)

www.kmp.ca
Old 12-25-2004, 01:38 PM
Volfy
My Feedback: (23)

ORIGINAL: RREEL

Volfy,

You should keep comments about Chris' business practices and personal character to yourself. You don't even know him. If you did then you would know that he has outstanding personal character and business practices. I think you would be more than a little upset too if someone was selling a product that you owned.

If you must post negative comments about someones personal character and business ethics, then look no farther than Andrew Kondor. He knows he's selling planes that belong to EF and stills chooses to do so. Now that's character...
Merry Christmas to you, too.

Now, back to the KMP Yak...
Old 12-27-2004, 01:01 AM
BrandoUno
My Feedback: (2)

I am the "local flyer" that Mr. Hanson put together the AeroWorks 27% Ultimate for, and I'd like to ask him for a PARTIAL REFUND since he incorrectly installed the fuel line! Please send refund to: 102 S.O.L street, blah blah.

Just kidding, Dick did a WONDERFUL job, and in record time. Thanks for the hard work! I'll send you the video soon.

And for what it's worth, the fuel line snafu wouldn't have been any sort of problem had it not been 18 degrees F out at the flying field when I discovered the mix-up. Dang December weather. I believe that is the 7th plane we have had Mr. H set up for us.
Old 12-27-2004, 01:11 AM
SunShyne
My Feedback: (68)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

logging into the thread to follow the construction/flight reports on the KMP Yak

Inquiring minds want to know

matt
Old 01-01-2005, 12:59 PM
zx32tt
My Feedback: (9)

"Can't we all just get along". The EF guys have their own thread and should keep their opinions there. I just want to see the finished product and make my own decisions. Anybody got one finished and flying yet?
Z
Old 01-01-2005, 04:15 PM
Bosshossv8
My Feedback: (10)

"Can't we all just get along". The EF guys have their own thread and should keep their opinions there. I just want to see the finished product and make my own decisions. Anybody got one finished and flying yet?
Yeah, Yeah, Yeah, ......

What category does that put me in???? I own Both. THese treads are inter-related like it or lump it.

Mine is almost ready to fly....I bought from a friend here who lost interest...with good reason..it is NOT a well built ARF. He added pin hinges pin all surfaces , no CA hinges. I have it just about rigged with all the guts. G62 Zenoah, 6v batts, twin swtiches, MG servos all around . All the junk I had laying around.

The gear is definitely going bend up , probably crack, the wing fit is terrible, and the motor box is flimsy. The cowl's ( I have 2, because my friend complained and got another) are terribly painted...the paint lines up and looks nice, but it is cracking off everywhere. The glue joints are wholly incomplete. Even the Stabilizer is a different shape than it should be. It is cut different from other Yaks.

I am glad I got it cheap, I would not have bought it any other way.

The good I can say about it is not much...the canopy is perfect, the Ultracoat is beautiful but not installed well . THat's it for the good. Everything else is lacking , IMHO.

I am not knocking it, it will be a good plane after I fix it, and I won't be kind to it and will report honestly about it. And it WILL BE directly compared to my 87" Extreme Flight Yak-54...there is NO ESCAPING FROM IT. Sorry.

Oh yeah,,,one other thing about this great ARF...where the heck are the instructions ....Like CG for instance?? I tried emailing A Kondor but got my email returned undelivered , I used the link on his site to email him.

instuctions...who needs instructions?. ....right.

funny thing too,,....Cheetah, and Morris seem to have Sold Out listed by these and the other 2 reject planes. .....It's not because they are sold out .

On to the KMPY Yak :

Anybody cut out the entire slot for the Pull-Pull system???
Old 01-14-2005, 07:17 AM
zx32tt
My Feedback: (9)

Updates please!! Has anybody got a KMP Yak finished and in the air yet?
Z
Old 01-14-2005, 09:02 AM
Bosshossv8

Mine is waiting for My Quadra 52 to come back from B & B . I sent in an old Quadra 50s to get converted to a 52 for this plane. I decided not to waste my G62 on it.

I glassed the flimsy motor box, and have gear installed. When the weather in Chicago gets above freezing I will fly it. I think it will fly a few times before falling apart.

Funny how they have disappeared off the market.....

I expect 16.5 to 17.5 lbs. Depends on how many batteries I use. I am told by B & B not to expect vertical from this motor, so I guess it will be a pig. Just so long as it flies, so we can shoot at it.

Idon't think many people are willing to admit they have one. That is why this thread is dead.
Old 01-14-2005, 09:53 AM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

actually a local friend bought two KMP kits -one was the YAK- for 375 each fro a dealer on -line
I looked it over - not too bad and for the price very good.
This one was far better than the example I previously had in hand.
Strange .
Oh well.
In that I prefer my own stuff over any of em - I really don't have any concern in who buys which of the kits.
It all seems very strange to me -----------------------
Old 01-14-2005, 10:02 AM
Bosshossv8

DOesn't suprise me tht the kits were discounted even further. The differences in the builds is what puzzles me. I THINK I got one of the updated ones. It has angle stock on the motor box, but I still glassed it.

No doubt they will fly, well with the right equipment. I am using my secondary stuff , to build an economy plane. I am saving the good stuff for the better one. I think that some people will be happy with this plane. I may too, you don;t know until you fly it.

B&B told me that my Q52 would not take a 17lb pllane vertical, so I may have shot myself in the foot already. I promise to put up accurate flight reports and a video when I get it in the air.
Old 01-14-2005, 10:05 AM
Maudib
My Feedback: (51)

Freedom Flier...

Where's the YAK project of your friends now? Should be about done huh? An more pics of the install? Flight reports or video?
Old 01-14-2005, 12:03 PM
Bryant330L
My Feedback: (126)

Boss, If you hate this plane so bad and think it is sure to fall apart, shoot me a good price on it. You could at least get some of your money back on it instead of writing the whole thing off to being a POS. If you are interested in that send me a pm and tell me what you want for it.
Old 01-14-2005, 12:09 PM
Maudib

Sounds like a good offer Boss...

Remember there's not going ot be any replacement parts for it... and you and I BOTH know that when youget the EF Yak together, you won't even think about this one... In fact you might want to take that money and get on the 2nd list for a backup plane...

Still yet... it would be nice to see direct comparison pics of the quality of both.
Old 01-14-2005, 01:18 PM
Bosshossv8

Maudib,

you hit the nail on the head. I DO want to do a comparison, in fact if it proves airworthy I may throw the DA in it to be fair. Like I said, I won;t know until I fly it. Yup, I'm jaded about it. No doubt about it.

I want to see for myself if I can be impartial after it is flys.

As far as selling it, that won;t happen, I rarely sell anything I buy. As evidenced by 3 garages and a farm full of junk . And with this plane, the original owner is first in line, as well as an instructor at our field. If I really don't like it, we may find a creative way to end it's misery.

But it would also be cool if it were expendable enough to let noobies at our field try a big plane. Sometimes a cheap plane can be just as much fun or more as an expensive one. You might take risks with this one you wouldn't dare with a premium plane.

I won't be building my EF 87 unitl March, when I get it, i am going to hold off on building it unitll everyone has hashed out the best combo of equip for it. So, I really do intend to fly this one as soon as the weather breaks.

If we get another warm spell here in Chicago before spring, I will maiden it. Although I have been reading some pretty poor reports on the Q52 , I hope it will have some climb out. May not hover , but I am not concerned with that. We'll see.

I walk past it everyday, and you know, it really doesn't look bad. I goofed on painting the stripes in the canopy , but that is my fault. In the air it will look nice.

On th4 bright side it seemed to weigh about the same as the numbers from the 87 thread. The wing socket gaps are cosmetic only...I am trying to figure a way to fill in the gaps with foam and then recover over them. Even tough it is cosmetic..wind could get in there and create a pressure problem, maybe I don;t know, I am only quessing.

I posted a question about the Q52 in Giant scale, to see what is known about it . Like what kind of thrust it makes and what weight it can handle.
Old 01-14-2005, 01:39 PM
v-snap
My Feedback: (18)

Is the Q-52 stock? If so it will fly the 17lb airplane scale like. No vertical pullouts or hover, just typical IMAC stuff probably through intermediate. Its been a while but I flew mine with a 20-10, seemed to like it best on the vertical up lines and slowing down on the down lines. This was 10yrs ago so thats all I got for you.
I still have the RS-52 (?) (electronic ignition and lightening holes) that is going in my 300L at 15lbs so I hope it flies it well. If not it will go up on the auction block..
Old 01-14-2005, 01:41 PM
stomper

ORIGINAL: Bosshossv8

Maudib,

you hit the nail on the head. I DO want to do a comparison, in fact if it proves airworthy I may throw the DA in it to be fair. Like I said, I won;t know until I fly it. Yup, I'm jaded about it. No doubt about it.

As far as selling it, that won;t happen, I rarely sell anything I buy. As evidenced by 3 garages and a farm full of junk . And with this plane, the original owner is first in line, as well as an instructor at our field. If I really don't like it, we may find a creative way to end it's misery.

But it would also be cool if it were expendable enough to let noobies at our field try a big plane. Sometimes a cheap plane can be just as much fun or more as an expensive one. You might take risks with this one you wouldn't dare with a premium plane.

I won't be building my EF 87 unitl March, when I get it, i am going to hold off on building it unitll everyone has hashed out the best combo of equip for it. So, I really do intend to fly this one as soon as the weather breaks.

If we get another warm spell here in Chicago before spring, I will maiden it. Although I have been reading some pretty poor reports on the Q52 , I hope it will have some climb out. May not hover , but I am not concerned with that. We'll see.

I walk past it everyday, and you know, it really doesn't look bad. I goofed on painting the stripes in the canopy , but that is my fault. In the air it will look nice.

On th4 bright side it seemed to weigh about the same as the numbers from the 87 thread. The wing socket gaps are cosmetic only...I am trying to figure a way to fill in the gaps with foam and then recover over them. Even tough it is cosmetic..wind could get in there and create a pressure problem, maybe I don;t know, I am only quessing.

I posted a question about the Q52 in Giant scale, to see what is known about it . Like what kind of thrust it makes and what weight it can handle.
I thought Chirs already figured out the best combo for this plane?
Old 01-14-2005, 01:46 PM
Bosshossv8

Stomp, yeah he has got the main components figured out, sure. But I talking about everyone's little choices, like batts, servos, pipes, and all the other things people tinker with. Our weather didn't really get good for flying here last year until June 6!!! Really. Up till then spring was cold and rainy. So, I am in no hurry for a new #1.

The Q52 will have B&B muffler and a velocity stack. that's it. I bought the smoke tapped muffler thinking I would put a smoke tank in it for fun, but the motor might not handle the extra weight, eh?

Gotta start lopping off some balsa to make it lighter .
Old 01-14-2005, 02:02 PM
Maudib

He has, but like everything else... many (myself included) like to add that personal touch... as if in some way you can say this is "My Yak".

The only real question out there is tuned pipe or stock muffler... a little less power or a little more weight...

If you haven't been following it, the manual has been posted on EF's site... the thought and detail into this plane is phenominal... right down to laser cut pieces for a special lightweight canister mount.

I read through the manual and can't think of a single question and it has a DA50 mounting template.

I was amazed to see the all the extra's that other 50cc ARF's don't come with...

CF wing & stab tubes, composite landing gear, double truss control horns, ball links, titanium pushrods, CF servo arms, phenolic rudder servo arm and matching rudder pull-pull arm, wing, stab and fuse bags. I reckon there's an easy $250 worth of items included with the EF Yak.

Of all the pictures I saw posted... the only things I might mod is installing a hatch latch for easier canopy removal, thin plastic servo covers for the elevators and maybe try and get the tank on CG... otherwise the selection of hardware is top notch and assmebly looks like a no brainer.

I sincerely hope that those that got the KMP Yak enjoy their purchase, I certainly don't wish any misfortune on anyone... I just hope that in the end, future planes will be bought from the man who worked hard to bring us great flying aircraft.

While I do not know any further details... it does seem as if the Yak "not manfactured by KMP" info has been pulled from their site as well as no longer mentioned on Cheetah RC's site. Maybe this will lend some validity as to where the design originated.

In the meantime if they were "reworked over" by the manufacturer to fix at least the quality issues, then They ought to fly quite well... though not as light as the official EF release planes. And if so... that credit is given where it's due...
Old 01-14-2005, 02:19 PM
ptgarcia
My Feedback: (36)

But I talking about everyone's little choices, like batts, servos, pipes, and all the other things people tinker with.
You might as well start building as soon as you get it. Your going to get so many "best" combos outh there your head will spin. Just use what you like and are comfortable with.
Old 01-14-2005, 04:04 PM
stomper

Well I had the pleasure of meeting up with Chris and the 68",50cc and the 100cc Yaks at his home field this past summer.

I have had evrything needed to set up this plane for the last six months so I won't wander far from his stock set up.
Old 01-14-2005, 08:53 PM
going vert
My Feedback: (11)

Boss,

we need to do target practice on this plane...... Can you imagine the crap we'll take for doing that!!!

ORIGINAL: Bosshossv8

Maudib,

Old 01-14-2005, 11:22 PM
dgfick
My Feedback: (1)

Drew......mid-air..........patty vs yak......full speed.....one knife edge, the other inverted...
Old 01-14-2005, 11:30 PM
going vert
My Feedback: (11)

OK - I'm game. We need a POS motor for the Patty. I've got everything else.
Old 01-15-2005, 12:17 AM
Kitman
My Feedback: (13)

Maudib,

Just a little light on the KMP YAK! They was build by the Sammy, and are the planes Chris rejected for quality. After recieving one I can see why he rejected them, I have a trashed fuse and a cowl that isn't even close to match. They have pulled the kits from KMP and moved them to a dealer in another country.

But, there is more! The same company is now bringing in plane under the name TOC Aviation. I know Matt who is the distributor in the USA and he is a good guy, I hope their quality issues are better.

As you stated before Maudib, there is no finer company or person than Extreme Flight and Chris Henson to deal with!! None. Years of experience speaking.

Kitman

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.