Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Extreme Flight 87" Yak 54 - Build & Fly

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Extreme Flight 87" Yak 54 - Build & Fly

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2005, 01:32 PM
going vert
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Extreme Flight 87" Yak 54 - Build & Fly

Not yet - I'm still on 32:1. When I get on the 100:1 the motor should really come alive!

[/quote]

Thanks for the reply Drew
I like the fact that it's picking up RPMs now. Have you guys switched to synthetic yet? What synthetic do you guys usually use?

Just waiting on my 50 to be shipped back from DA and then I'll get this plane together ASAP!
Thanks alot for all the pictures from GA! Looked like you all had a good time.
[/quote]
Old 03-03-2005, 01:38 PM
wgeffon
My Feedback: (4)

Hey guys,

This could be our "Yak Fest" Check it out.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_27...tm.htm#2722734
Old 03-03-2005, 01:42 PM
flat spin

Well folks I wish I could say I flew mine for the first time today but the weather is showing no signs of letting up.

I did however, get the chance to run the DA for the first time putting about two tanks through it before the cold became too unbearable. The settings worked just fine out of the box although i end up leaning them out by about 1/8 during the course of the two tanks. It really smotthed up after a while sounding better better all of the time. The New 88V Krumscheid seems to be excellent. It is relatively quiet with a really nice sound.

My figures today were 6300 turning a Mejzlik 23X8 so i would be greatfull if anybody has any comparison with this prop obviously baring in mind this is a brand new engine.

Either way the power to weight on this thing is crazy, i reckon it will leave the ground in 2 meters at full throttle
Old 03-03-2005, 01:50 PM
jpa2002
My Feedback: (115)

On the Fromeco issue, I placed my order last week, and Kurt was very quick to respond, and since, I have asked several other questions, and he has repsonded within hours. So far, I am happy, and I am sure their product reflects their customer service.

Jon
Old 03-03-2005, 01:53 PM
Dave763
My Feedback: (1)

I placed my order online with Fromeco, no problems. Give Kurt a call or drop him a email.
I wouldn't worry.
ORIGINAL: bodyworks

Anyone placed an order online with Fromeco before??? I placed an order with them several days ago and, upon completion, I got a sort of receipt, but didn't print it out as I was sure they would be sending me an email. It has been at least 4 days, maybe more, and I have not heard a word!!! Anyone know their hours? I wish they were on the east coast 'cuz I'd probably be able to contact them now...
Old 03-03-2005, 04:27 PM
bodywerks

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

Thanks,guys from the info on Fromeco. I emailed him this morning and he called me today. He DID NOT get my order. Not really his fault, though. He said that his accounting program at the online store will not give an order confirmation or place the order if the information is incorrect or not verifiable. I am pretty sure I got the cc info correct, but it is possible that my address couldn't be verified because it is so new. Long story short, if you place an order from him and don't get a confirmation, call him. I was able to get the order in today and he offered free shipping for the mix-up, so I have no complaints!!
Old 03-03-2005, 05:16 PM
coche

does any body has a problem with non matching holes on the canopy??
how have you fix it??
Old 03-03-2005, 05:41 PM
rcaviator-RCU
My Feedback: (20)

Yes.

At first I elongated the holes to move the blind nut forward, and this worked. However I'm not a fan of blind nuts for canopy attachment, and one of the nuts got loose and made it a real pain to get the canopy off.

So then I drilled the holes larger in the canopy mounting tabs and epoxied a hard wood dowel in the holes to fill them. Once the epoxy dried I put the canopy on the fuse and marked new holes. Drilled and tapped to 4-40. It was easy to do and works great. I have flown it like this and it's holding up fine.

On another note. If you have to enlarge the aileron servo bay, do so on the side away from the hinge line only. The linkage is just short enough to work, and if you trim the hinge side of the servo bay the linkage may be too long.

One more note. When you epoxy in your rudder horn, push it all the way forward. The slot is a little big in order to be able to get the horn in. If you glue it all the way back the geometry will be off slightly and the you will have cables going slightly loose as the rudder deflects. So when you glue it in, pull it all the way forward toward the hinge line.

I am really enjoying this awesome plane! I would like to see a 75cc version come out from Chris, I would buy it.

ORIGINAL: coche

does any body has a problem with non matching holes on the canopy??
how have you fix it??
Old 03-03-2005, 05:50 PM
coche

thanks Don!

I will do the same on the canopy!
Old 03-03-2005, 06:10 PM
jpa2002
My Feedback: (115)

Guess what Johnny just got! I was going to hug the Fedex man, but he ran!

Well, it will be time to start building very soon!

Jon
Old 03-03-2005, 06:16 PM
jrjohn
My Feedback: (24)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sure wish I would get my hardware kit! my building operation is at a standstill Damm!

John
Old 03-03-2005, 06:22 PM
Maudib
My Feedback: (51)

John, I'm sure they are on their way... I just got two in the mail for my two buddie's Yaks that arrived Monday.

You are maybe a day or two further, so probably tomorrow!

-J. David
Old 03-03-2005, 06:34 PM
jrjohn
My Feedback: (24)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was talking to a guy today that really shook me up about using the new 5955 Hitec servo. He said I might as well send him my plane cause I'm going to loose it from a crash anyway when the servo locks up.

Is anybody out there using this servo, I'd sure like some reports

John
Old 03-03-2005, 07:24 PM
flat spin

Personally I was gonna put one in there and if it wasn't for a mix up i probably would have but with the JR 8611 around there really is no need. The fade experienced with a 5945 is marginal so a couple of extra Kg's is sufficient. Only problem is we can't get em here in the Uk coz u lot nicked em.

I know I came in a bit off topic earlier but having run my DA for the first time today it being my first gas engine I am keen to find out how the performance compares. Has anyone got any numbers they can share with me. On my first two tanks i was turning 6300 on the Mejlik 23X8.
Old 03-03-2005, 07:31 PM
Maudib

That sounds about right... I'm not sure what others might say, but I do think that's working the engine a little too hard... watch the temps to make sure it's not getting too hot.

I started with a 23x8 NX prop and wasn't happy with the rpms... 6200 or so... so I switched to an MSC 22x8 and am getting 6700-6800 range. AFtre I get a few gallons through it I'll switch to a synthetic oil and move up to the 23x8... I can't imagine running a 24x8 prop on anything but the tuned pipe system...

ORIGINAL: flat spin

Personally I was gonna put one in there and if it wasn't for a mix up i probably would have but with the JR 8611 around there really is no need. The fade experienced with a 5945 is marginal so a couple of extra Kg's is sufficient. Only problem is we can't get em here in the Uk coz u lot nicked em.

I know I came in a bit off topic earlier but having run my DA for the first time today it being my first gas engine I am keen to find out how the performance compares. Has anyone got any numbers they can share with me. On my first two tanks i was turning 6300 on the Mejlik 23X8.
Old 03-03-2005, 07:36 PM
basmntdweller
My Feedback: (9)

I got my hardware box today. The only thing I'm not ecstatic with is the wheels. They are heavy! I think maybe Dubro put heavy wheels in my package instead of the lightweight ones. Everything else looks great. I wish I could get some time to work on it but I have several other planes to finish up before starting this new project. If I though I could knock it out this weekend I'd have a go of it but I'm afraid a number of honey-dos might interupt me and I'd like to do this one up straight through, stopping only for sleep, food and unfortunately, work[:'(] I have a four day weekend coming up at Easter, I may plan on that weekend.
Matt

Has anyone sourced and better, lighter wheels?
Old 03-03-2005, 07:53 PM
islandflyer

I have been following this thread for the past few weeks, and you guys have convinced me that "I need one of these"
I just talked to Chris this morning, and it looks like the next shipment is due in about 2 months.
It looks from Wayne's video that this plane flies like the big 30% and 40%. I can't wait to fly something this nice without all the hauling work it takes to put my larger planes in the van.
Old 03-03-2005, 08:06 PM
Maudib

The Kavans are about as light as you'll get now... about 1 oz or so savings... I have a pair I'm not going to use if you are interested... they run $10... I'll mail them for that price... a tad over 3 oz if I remember from my post on them...

The best "light" wheels I have run across are not available yet... BME Aircraft will be carrying a new line of durable, dense foam wheels in the near future. These things are REALLY light... being half the weight of the Dubro's and saving two oz.

It won't do you any good to ask (a couple I've mentioned it too have already tried) they just aren't available yet... I asked Max to bring me some samples from China in various sizes...

I've got a pair of 2 7/8" tires that weigh only .95 for BOTH... the have yellow rims.

I also have a couple sets of the 4"... they weigh only 2.45 oz... they have black rims. They would work well with the Yak pants, but the wheel slots would need opened up a tad...

I'm going to put a set of them on my Sukhoi that I had originally bought the Kavans for.

ORIGINAL: basmntdweller

IHas anyone sourced and better, lighter wheels?
Old 03-03-2005, 08:59 PM
DENNIS C
My Feedback: (99)

ORIGINAL: Maudib

The Kavans are about as light as you'll get now... about 1 oz or so savings... I have a pair I'm not going to use if you are interested... they run $10... I'll mail them for that price... a tad over 3 oz if I remember from my post on them...

The best "light" wheels I have run across are not available yet... BME Aircraft will be carrying a new line of durable, dense foam wheels in the near future. These things are REALLY light... being half the weight of the Dubro's and saving two oz.

It won't do you any good to ask (a couple I've mentioned it too have already tried) they just aren't available yet... I asked Max to bring me some samples from China in various sizes...

I've got a pair of 2 7/8" tires that weigh only .95 for BOTH... the have yellow rims.

I also have a couple sets of the 4"... they weigh only 2.45 oz... they have black rims. They would work well with the Yak pants, but the wheel slots would need opened up a tad...

I'm going to put a set of them on my Sukhoi that I had originally bought the Kavans for.

ORIGINAL: basmntdweller

IHas anyone sourced and better, lighter wheels?
Have you guys looked at the hangar-9 pro lite's wheels
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn36672.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	6.5 KB
ID:	237681  
Old 03-03-2005, 09:21 PM
basmntdweller
My Feedback: (9)

I just looked at Horizon's site. They don't have any weights on the Pro Lites. I'll have to check at the LHS.
Matt
Old 03-03-2005, 09:29 PM
Push Rod

I am interested in a plane this size. Not being familar with the Yak, how does it compare to the
Edge and the Extra? Which does it favor as far as 3D and IMAC? What does it stall like?
Old 03-03-2005, 09:52 PM
wgeffon

ORIGINAL: Maudib

I can't imagine running a 24x8 prop on anything but the tuned pipe system...

I am using a 24x8 with the standard muffler and it has no trouble turning it. Motor does not get hot at all.
Old 03-03-2005, 09:54 PM
islandflyer

I have a set of Pro Lite wheels on my 33%, and they are nice and light, but the foam quickly gets a flat spot when the plane sits on a hard surface. It comes back to round easily though.
In any case, it beats the Kavans I used to have on my 42% Extra: one got flat from from something on the runway poking a hole in it (our grass runway doesn't ressemble golfing greens). That plane now has foam tires too!
Old 03-03-2005, 10:07 PM
wgeffon

ORIGINAL: Push Rod

I am interested in a plane this size. Not being familar with the Yak, how does it compare to the
Edge and the Extra? Which does it favor as far as 3D and IMAC? What does it stall like?

I think it flies IMAC as well as my 40% Carden but for 3D, I dont think you can beat this plane.

Click here for the Yak flying the.....

2005 Unlimited Sequence
3D
Old 03-03-2005, 10:27 PM
bodywerks

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

ORIGINAL: jrjohn

I was talking to a guy today that really shook me up about using the new 5955 Hitec servo. He said I might as well send him my plane cause I'm going to loose it from a crash anyway when the servo locks up.

Is anybody out there using this servo, I'd sure like some reports

John
You see, there are good things about the internet and there are bad things. The bad thing is that some people get misinformed and start spreading false rumors! The 5955TG is not the servo that's having the problem!!! It is the 5995. The 5995 is a robot servo with 180 degrees of travel. when programmed to reduce travel it has a tendancy to lock up. As far as I know, the 5955 is fine and is sold out at nearly every online store...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.