Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Extreme Flight 87" Yak 54 - Build & Fly

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Extreme Flight 87" Yak 54 - Build & Fly

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2005, 04:42 PM
flat spin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Extreme Flight 87" Yak 54 - Build & Fly

Ok well i'll richen it up at the bottom end and see how we get on, i can probably go about a quarter turn without too much trouble.
Old 03-30-2005, 07:05 PM
bodywerks
My Feedback: (4)

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

ORIGINAL: turbo4

ORIGINAL: bodyworks

Those are the two reasons I chose the Chip hyde muffler over stock. The only reason I considered the stock one was weight and cost...it weighs 5.5 ounces and the chip Hyde weighs over 13. However, I am semi-pleased with my finished weight...15 lbs, 8oz. that is still the low end of the weight spectrum!!! However, I do anticipate sacrificing 2-3 ounces by switching back to dubro wheels, as the Dave Browns look like they will roll right off the rim, and I still have to add my sweet graphics...
Those BME wheels avail. yet?
I have been in contact with them and they said to keep an eye on their website for their availability. I will check to see if they are at toledo or not. If not, I will contact them again.
Old 03-30-2005, 07:17 PM
bodywerks

ORIGINAL: flat spin

I don't know none of you are considering the Krumscheid canister. It only weighs 250g is very quiet and has a great throaty noise to it. I am turning a Mejzlik 23X8 at 6600, that's after a flight. Also they have put together a specific steel manifold for this plane and pipe combination ehat more could you ask for. I don't know if i'll get any more top end RPM as the engine runs in but 6600 with only a gallon and a bit through it ain't bad.

Someone mentioned wheels earlier. My spats have been completely destroyed, more through moveing the plane about than actual take off and landings, but anyway i ripped them off before they caused a problem. Anyway I looked at the lovely alloys which Robart are doing and thought they would like pretty good without spats, problem is they start at 4", does anyone know where i can get some similiar ones at 3.5" or do you reckon 4 would be too big, I don't want to look like i am flying a blinged up cub.
Actually, unless you are including the weight of the header, that Krumscheid canister is HEAVIER than the Hyde pipe...it only weighs 227 grams (8 ounces) by itself. It is when you add the header and coupling that it goes to 13 ounces (369 grams). Also, according to Maudib's tests, the Hyde pipe produced 200 rpm more than any other stock or pitts-style muffler. The fact that I knew I could build this thing light and that the Hyde cannister sounds FRIGGIN SWEET and produces 200 extra RPM (which equals 12 ounces of extra thrust), I had to have it. If I have plenty of vertical performance at my altitude (6800 feet), I have the stock DA sitting around that I might consider.
Old 03-30-2005, 07:24 PM
bodywerks

ORIGINAL: Kregg

Use Kavan wheels. These are the lightest option out there and they are very nice quality. You can get them from Trybuiltmodels.com. The plastic hub wheels come in 3.5 and 4 inch and are only $10.95. The ones with the crome hubs are even better with inflatable tires, but these are more expensive and the smallest size is 4 inch. I own and use a set of both wheel types. The 3.5 inch plastic ones have a firm plastic tire and only weight 3oz for the pair! I wish you could get the chrome hub version in the smaller 3.5 size. Tires that you can adjust the pressure in are very nice. My 2.6 Extra has those.
They are not the lightest option out there... They are less than 1/2 ounce lighter than the dubros, and you risk running a flat and they wear out fast. Not that I don't think my Dave Brown wheels will last, but they are only 1.1 ounces each. I am going to try to stiffen them up by CAing the sidewalls with oderless CA..we'll see.
BTW, I do not recommend those flashy Robarts at all, they are all bling-bling and all weight, stick with the stock Dubros if anything.
Old 03-30-2005, 08:08 PM
islandflyer

I too got away from Kavans: got a flat after 7 flights on my 42% Extra 260. I have gone to H9 Pro-lites. They are quite a bit lighter than Dubros, but I don't have measurements (I just compared them in my hand).

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Shop/ByC...?ProdID=HAN306
Old 03-30-2005, 08:29 PM
DrScoles
My Feedback: (18)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

First flight today! Everything went well, this thing just floats.... It seemed like I had it at idle the whole time, didn't need much throttle at all. I need to do a few tweaks, more expo in 3D mode, can't wait to put that canopy latch on, one of the four bolts doesn't want to come all the way out and I have to wrestle the canopy off..hehe Can't wait to get out and burn some more gas Still don't have smoke pump yet, will find one at toledo...

Final build pics:

I like the red tips, reminds me to respect that big daddy prop.....
Mike
Old 03-30-2005, 09:14 PM
psk560
My Feedback: (12)

Is that a Bolly 23-8? Also. Is anyone using the stock muffler opening up the channel in the firewall and aftt like the tuned pipe setup for extra cooling exit? Seems like one little hole in the cowl doesn't give enough exit area. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Craig
Old 03-30-2005, 10:44 PM
going vert
My Feedback: (11)

I buy from Fromeco b/ customer service is a+ and Kurt is always willing to help. Plus his stuff has a proven track record. I have 10 batteries and 10 regs from fromeco and everything still runs great!

Kurt hand assembles his own batteries and they designed their own regulator. The Troy regulator is made by MPI. Not sure about the batteries.

Drew

ORIGINAL: turbo4

You can get 1 2350mah and 1 4700mah + 2 miricle switches(switch-regs-charge all in one) for $149. Im curious why I hav'nt seen anyone else use this. I'm not battery/electrical savey, but it seems to me this is the same basic setup a lot are running for less $$. Unless I price it wrong the Fromeco stuff for 2 batts, 2 regs and 2 switches was gonna be $200+.

http://www.troybuiltmodels.com/Regulators.htm
http://www.troybuiltmodels.com/LiIonBatteries.htm
Old 03-30-2005, 10:49 PM
ten pillows

Mike I'm glad your maiden went well. Your plane and cowl turned out nice. I also flew this morning about 4 flights. It was just awesome. Congratulations.

Mike
Old 03-30-2005, 11:54 PM
DrScoles

PSK560, yes that is a bolly prop, DA recommended it as a good break in prop, I doubt I will change it after break in... I like your idea about using tunnel for cooling..... makes sense. Won't work for me, because the smoke tank is in the tunnel...

Mike, when I get back from Toledo, we gotta get together! I'll make a trip down to the rams field if the weather is nice...

Mike
Old 03-31-2005, 12:42 AM
r180reef
My Feedback: (7)

Mike, post on here when you and pillows get together and I will bring mine up also. Ron
Old 03-31-2005, 12:47 AM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There is room for a full tuned pipe .
Mine gets one
The header from Desert Aircraft fits either a DA50 or the ZDZ50 NG
For a tuned pipe - I would like to suggest the excellent new AMT 50 size full tuned pipe from RCShowcase - it weighs 10 ounces (under 300 grams). ($100.00)
This pipe will be shown in a 2+2 model at the Toledo show -in the RCShowcase booth.
Mt ZDZ50 NG pulls the JAS clone 23x8 Mejzlic (wood) at 7150 on this pipe.
smooth even transition.
Also -22x10 Mejzlic at 7200 +and the 22x8 Mejzlic at 7700.
The DA 50 should be similar .
So the tunnel is provided - why not use it ..
The hardest part in doing my new YAK- will be getting Guy to spray paint the Russian scheme I want,onto the all white airframe .
Old 03-31-2005, 03:12 AM
flat spin

ORIGINAL: bodyworks

I don't know none of you are considering the Krumscheid canister. It only weighs 250g is very quiet and has a great throaty noise to it. I am turning a Mejzlik 23X8 at 6600, that's after a flight. Also they have put together a specific steel manifold for this plane and pipe combination ehat more could you ask for. I don't know if i'll get any more top end RPM as the engine runs in but 6600 with only a gallon and a bit through it ain't bad.

Someone mentioned wheels earlier. My spats have been completely destroyed, more through moveing the plane about than actual take off and landings, but anyway i ripped them off before they caused a problem. Anyway I looked at the lovely alloys which Robart are doing and thought they would like pretty good without spats, problem is they start at 4", does anyone know where i can get some similiar ones at 3.5" or do you reckon 4 would be too big, I don't want to look like i am flying a blinged up cub.
Actually, unless you are including the weight of the header, that Krumscheid canister is HEAVIER than the Hyde pipe...it only weighs 227 grams (8 ounces) by itself. It is when you add the header and coupling that it goes to 13 ounces (369 grams). Also, according to Maudib's tests, the Hyde pipe produced 200 rpm more than any other stock or pitts-style muffler. The fact that I knew I could build this thing light and that the Hyde cannister sounds FRIGGIN SWEET and produces 200 extra RPM (which equals 12 ounces of extra thrust), I had to have it. If I have plenty of vertical performance at my altitude (6800 feet), I have the stock DA sitting around that I might consider.
Blimey heavy header and coupling. All in the KS setup weighs about 370 so there's not much in it. I know a few people here with the Hyde though and i must say i thought it was a bit heaviers than that. Anyway both seem like good alternatives.
Old 03-31-2005, 07:30 AM
bodywerks

Yeah, we are talking an ounce, I guess, and that can you showed does look nice. I am interested in the rpm performance of that one...
Old 03-31-2005, 07:34 AM
bodywerks

ORIGINAL: DrScoles

PSK560, yes that is a bolly prop, DA recommended it as a good break in prop, I doubt I will change it after break in... I like your idea about using tunnel for cooling..... makes sense. Won't work for me, because the smoke tank is in the tunnel...

Mike, when I get back from Toledo, we gotta get together! I'll make a trip down to the rams field if the weather is nice...

Mike
BTW, GREETINGS FROM CINCINNATTI, OHIO!!! I have been here since monday on business and will be shooting up to toledo in friday for the etoc and saturday for the show. I hope to see you and anyone else there...it would be good to match faces to names!

Drcsoles, how much that thing weight now that you got it finished?
Old 03-31-2005, 09:57 AM
ten pillows

That's great Ron. Now all we need to do is get Charles to come out too and we could have our very own Yak fest!

ten pillows
Old 03-31-2005, 10:24 AM
turbo4
My Feedback: (3)

DRScoles, in your pictures it does not look like you epoxy coated the firewall? Maybe you did and it just a bad angle. If not I would as you want to protect all that bare wood around the engine.
Old 03-31-2005, 10:56 AM
BBriBro
My Feedback: (2)

Anyone know the diameter of the inlet on the Chip Hyde quiet pipe? or the RCS 50-60 cc silencer?

And for those interested, I have been researching the Brison header dilemma. The Brison 3.2 has the same exhaust port size/bolt pattern as the King 50 cc (popular in Europe) and KS does make a double bend header for it, they also have an exhaust stack, and/or flange available, with elbows and such to "make" your own header. I'm sure that is the more expensive route, but might be the only option. Macs doesn't make any double bend headers
Old 03-31-2005, 11:18 AM
DrScoles

Bodyworks, definitely stop by the Duralite booth and say hi.....

turbo4, I did not coat the firewall, with the exhaust going 2" past the edge of the cowl, and a fairly tight fit around the muffler tip, I'm not worried about fuel/exhaust getting anywhere... After flying it yesterday and tearing the front end down to check bolt tightness, I didn't see a single hint of any residue..... I know this is common practice with glow planes, are all you guys doing this to yours?? Or, is this kinda like the keeping batteries away from the ignition system..deal...stuff people did for years, and its not absolutely necessary for certain applications?????

With my highly accurate digital bathroom scale the plane weighed 15.5 pounds... Thats with an 8 oz chunk of lead acting like a smoke pump.... Office depot was out of the postage scale I needed to get a more accurate measurement... I did the things everyone in here said to do to keep it light....carbon spinner, wood prop, muffler, all Duralite batts.... But I can't honestly say it is really 15.5.... I hope it is I thought about getting lighter wheels, but held the supplied ones in my hands, and thought..man..these are light! so left them on.... I am such a rook with these things anyway, that I probably wouldn't notice the difference between a heavy or light plane........

Mike
Old 03-31-2005, 11:30 AM
BBriBro

ORIGINAL: DrScoles

Bodyworks, definitely stop by the Duralite booth and say hi.....
I'll stop by and say hi. I think Rick (Ricmussman) is going to organize a rendezvous at the EF booth, but I'll swing by the Duralite booth too.

Brian
Old 03-31-2005, 01:00 PM
flat spin

BBribro, took about a quarter of a turn out on te bottom end and it showed no sign of dying. Lost a lot of responsiveness though so went in a bit from there, may have a bit to go but it was raining so did not get the chance. Can i get a bit of the resonsiveess back by leaning the top end, i know they both effect one another, ir will that end up with the same result?
Old 03-31-2005, 04:25 PM
BBriBro

BBribro, took about a quarter of a turn out on te bottom end and it showed no sign of dying. Lost a lot of responsiveness though so went in a bit from there, may have a bit to go but it was raining so did not get the chance. Can i get a bit of the resonsiveess back by leaning the top end, i know they both effect one another, ir will that end up with the same result?
No, the top end only affects wide open throttle. The low end affects the idle, transition and midrange. I'd say reliability is far more important than responsiveness, especially with the power to weight ratio you have, with that much power, getting it tuned to 100% isn't that important. At least wait till it breaks in a little, then you will probably get a better transition. The needles don't affect one another, I wouldn't swear to it, but If I remember correctly on the Walbro carbs, the low speed feeds the high, so leaning the low will also lean the high, but the high shouldn't change the low. They are opposite of most glow engines where the high speed needle controls all the fuel to the carb, so leaning the high also leans the low.
Old 03-31-2005, 04:35 PM
flat spin

Great well that makes things easier. I was told that they effected one another but it makes sense that it be the low effecting the high in this setup. Anyway it works and from what people tell me the transition is the key thing to improve at this stage in the run in. Cheers
Old 03-31-2005, 05:54 PM
matus777

Ok guys, hate to announce this but after taking all the precautions (except hatch latch) including extra long bolts ....after 4 hrs. I still have one i can't get out....blind nut is spinning. What all have you done to get something like this out? I've tried pinning the blind nut from the other side but can't seem to hold it firm enough to back the bolt out.

I initially plugged the old holes and center drilled afterwards but my poor skill sets are holding me back here....any suggestions would be appreciated....it's gonna be the hatch latch after this!

Thanks
Old 03-31-2005, 06:05 PM
Gotta_Fly

Hey guys

I have about 10 new 5645 hitec's, and I was wondering if anyone thought it would be a problem using them on the elevators and using the 5945's on the wings, and of coarse the 8611 on the rudder, and even using a 5645 for the throttle which i know is more then enough, I was just wondering I would like to put these servos to use on something.

Thanks

Randy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.