Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Aero-Works 50cc Yak

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2005, 06:29 PM
3dking
My Feedback: (26)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Aero-Works 50cc Yak

I'm ver interested in one, but I don't have a credit card. Will you take money orders? If so can you hold one for me?
Old 12-07-2005, 07:05 PM
Mark Dennis
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You will have to call the shop and talk to Annie and find out she handels all of the orders. Here is the number (303)-366-4205 Give us a call we are open from 9:00-5:00 mountain time.
Old 12-07-2005, 07:09 PM
3dking
My Feedback: (26)

Thank you Mark. I will do that.
Old 12-07-2005, 07:11 PM
Mark Dennis

Our weight with a full length pipe was 17#'s and that was with out any carbon.
Old 12-07-2005, 07:41 PM
Mark Dennis

For those of you who havent seen it yet the parts videio is now on the website.
Old 12-07-2005, 10:48 PM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's about what I expected, not bad at all for 1409 squares (and no carbon).

ORIGINAL: markdennis

Our weight with a full length pipe was 17#'s and that was with out any carbon.
Old 12-08-2005, 08:53 AM
juanes1969

Mark, regarding the pipe tunnel, if I use a normal muffler, does this tunnel come covered? or does it come open for anybody to cover it if using a normal pitts?
Old 12-08-2005, 10:20 AM
Scoubidou
My Feedback: (17)

Another question for Markdennis!
I apreciate all news that you can give us here, about the new products coming.[sm=thumbup.gif]

May i know what's your relationship with Aeroworks please? Do you work for that company or and RC flyer sponsered by them? Will you be the ''tech support'' for those who would have questions regarding this new QB ARF line?

Daniel
Old 12-08-2005, 05:35 PM
Mark Dennis

The pipe tunnel is pre covered so you have to cut it if you want to use a pipe or can. It is also painted to match the bottom of the plane. We also supply covering so say you change your mind instead of buying an eintire roll of covering we give it to you.

As far as what my realationship is with Aero-Works I am a pilot/ R&D guy. And yes i will handel all questions regarding our new and for that matter any aero-works product.
Old 12-08-2005, 05:37 PM
Mark Dennis

The weight is not bad at all for not having any carbon. Even at 6000'asl the plane still flys very light. We tried to provide a good light weight product that will still hold up after a few seasons.
Old 12-08-2005, 09:54 PM
Scoubidou
My Feedback: (17)

As far as what my realationship is with Aero-Works I am a pilot/ R&D guy.
Nice job!

Someone at the field wants to buy my 28%WH Edge , so i am going to try this new Yak
Daniel
Old 12-08-2005, 10:19 PM
Mark Dennis

Great, give us a call tomorrow if you want to get on the list we are still shoting for the Jan. delivary date.
Old 12-08-2005, 10:21 PM
ACS
My Feedback: (13)

Nice looking !!
What type of hinges are you using and more particular what type of glue is being used for the hinges?
Old 12-08-2005, 10:26 PM
Mark Dennis

They are Robarts And we are using epoxy. We have flown the crap out of this plane with the hinges preglued and the have held up perfectally. We took a look in side the wing at the hing points themselves and came to the conclusion that our manufacterer most likely did as good a job if not better than most modelers do themselves. We where unable to glue on the rudder due to shipping problems.
Old 12-09-2005, 07:37 AM
50%plane
My Feedback: (5)

Mark,
Any plans for a 50cc yak kit?

Woops
Old 12-09-2005, 07:04 PM
Mark Dennis

No yak kits we are bringing back the old Edge kits and will have a 50cc in that new line. They should be here in a few weeks.
Old 12-17-2005, 12:45 PM
Ernsbarger

Mark, how is the shipment looking for January. I need an aircraft that can fly. My Midwest 300XS is a dog compared to the 29% Katana I had...
Old 12-17-2005, 08:40 PM
reimorei

Mark, I want to be on the waiting list. Should I place the order online? If so, I´m gonna be charged now or just when you receive the planes?

thanks.
Old 12-17-2005, 09:25 PM
Mark Dennis

Yes place an order on line and you will not be charged until the planes arrive.

The yaks will be here around mid-late Jan now but shoudent be any later.
Old 12-18-2005, 06:37 AM
fancman
My Feedback: (16)

Mark,
I've already ordered mine and have a quesiton about using a canister muffler. I know about the MTW cans and also the K&S. I've read that I could use the K&S 86 canister or he MTW 75. The K&S 86 is rated for larger engines than the MTW but I'm told it will fit in the tunnel of this airplane so my question is, will using the larger canister make any difference in engine power or perhaps be quieter. I like the MTW forward exhaust location best bu if the K&S will be quieter or provide more power I could go that way.

Thanks
Old 12-21-2005, 01:29 PM
RedStickFlyer
My Feedback: (1)

I had a chance to look at the new Aero-Works 50cc YAK on Monday and it was FANTASTIC. It was so good that I'm going to take a few minutes and share some of the details with you. I also want you to know that prior to my arrival I wan't a big Aeroworks fan and I took a little convincing to get me on board so what you are getting here is an honest opinion. I have been in RC for over 25 years and have about 10 planes from a 150cc 38% CAP to a Kadet trainer that I use for instruction and from 2m pattern planes to a 3D Funtana 90 so I have seen a few things come and go.

I in Denver visiting from Baton Rouge for the holidays. While up here I figured I'd give Aeroworks a call and see if I could look at their facility and maybe learn a little something. They invited me on down and gave me a heck of a tour. I have a DA 50cc engine and am almost done building the Aeroworks 29% Katana that I bought a couple of years ago and then never go around to building so I was interested to see the shop. When I looked at the Internet to get the address I noticed they have a new 50cc YAK coming so I asked if I would be able to see it if I came by and they said yes they did have one. I have been wanting to get a Somerenzi YAK for my next 50cc YAK project for quite a while but have also considered getting a Double vision as a biplane would fit in my trailer without disassembly. I wasn't too keen on the Aeroworks YAK when I arrived but when I left it was a must have plane. I'm going to share with you how good it is because when someone is really passionate and builds a superior product they deserve recognition and because my name is already on the waiting list.

I'm attaching a few pictures of the plane that I took while I was down there. I can't match up the text and the pictures the way RC universe works so I'm going to just put some text and a couple of pictures on each post and use a few posts to keep them organized.

The pictures in this post are of the total air plane. The fit and finish is fantastic. The way the canopy fits onto the fuselage would take many hours for a skilled builder to get aligned but at the factory they have the jigs and they can get it just right. Rocco assured me that he had been to China several times in an effort to find a company to build the plane that could maintain his strict quality standards. He told me about the concerns that he has seen with some of the other facilities but has been very impressed with the quality of the plant he has selected.

Stand by for more pictures and details in the next post.

Scott

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Eb86900.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	373696   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay74558.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	373697   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bx74206.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	373698   Click image for larger version

Name:	Di99666.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	373699  
Old 12-21-2005, 01:42 PM
RedStickFlyer

Here is a picture of the plane with a DA 50 mounted in it. The plane is already set up to accept a DA 50 with either a Pitt's muffler, a canister muffler or a long tuned pipe in a tunnel. I'll show the tunnel in another picture but is is large enough and long enough to hold the exhaust system without a problem.

The cowl is the highest quality. It has a little extra glass in it to accommodate those of use who occasionally stress test the cowling. I know all the high level competition guys care about is weight but I like a light weight plane too but what use is that if it breaks under the loads I put on it which on landing can be a lot more than what the pros put on their plane. I also have to pay for my spare parts so I want them to last and although this plane is very light Aeroworks still put enough strength in it so that it shouldn't fall apart. As a matter of fact the plane was looking at and took pictures of had been flown about 35 times and other than some scuffs on the wheel pants it looked band new like it just came out of the box.

I also included a picture of the firewall from the 75cc version they are working on just to show how the cowl attaches to the fuse. In this kit the engine box is already built with interlocking pieces that are well glued together. I'm also and engineer and the structural integrity of the engine box is great. Notice how the blocks of wood to screw the cowl to are already installed and even beveled to make getting it on easier. The mounting holes in the cowl are already drilled and the blind nuts are installed in the fuse so all you need to do is screw it on with the screws and grommet that are already provided in the kit. By the way, all the hard ware is top quality and you could actually use rather than throw it away and order all new like I normally do.

Name:	Lj24140.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	373701   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq51567.jpg
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	373702   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ty66074.jpg
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	373703  
Old 12-21-2005, 02:03 PM
RedStickFlyer

In this post I'll show you the tail section. You can get a good look at the hardware that is provided as part of the kit and see why you won't have to spend a bunch of time and money replacing it all.

The elevator halves come already assembled so the only thing you need to do is radio specific installation tasks. Just mount the two halves of the control horn and the servo and you are ready to put it on. Each elevator half is attached to the fuse by two screws under the elevator that you can see in the picture if you really look. The hinges are installed very well the fit between the two halves is really close and yet the movement is smooth. They use the pin type hinge so there is no slop in any of the control surfaces. In the close up of the elevator you can also see that there is four mm of overlap on each of the colors so when you tighten it up the colors won't pull apart. I really appreciate this quality point because when the colors separate its impossible to fix it so it doesn't show.

The tail wheel is also top quality and all of the hardware seen is supplied in the kit even the wheels come in the kit.

There is close up of the control horns they use. This is the perfect design because it eliminates all the flex associated with torque or twisting of the control horn. People frequently don't make the linkages strong enough to take the stress that their servos can put out. For example a Hitec 5945 will put out 180 oz of torque and we use a 1!QUOT! control horn then the servo can put 11.25 lbs of force on the control horn. If the horn is only on one side and you put 11lbs of pull on the linkage its going to twist. With the ones Aeroworks uses the bolt is supported on both sides so its not going to twist and should take the full 11lbs.

Name:	Ca82949.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	373723   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nj25720.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	373724   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xc80014.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	373725   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jc86224.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	373726  
Old 12-21-2005, 02:36 PM
RedStickFlyer

In this post we can look at the inside of the plane the hatch and the wheel pants.

The inside of the plane looks great. There are plenty of holes to reduce the weight but still enough wood left to make the plane strong and survive some of the rough landings I make now and then or the collision with the occasional ant hill or crawfish mound and hole that we have in Louisiana.

In the top view of the plane with the hatch removed you can see the very long tunnel that is provided for any muffler system right up to a long tuned pipe. They even provide in the kit a painted square piece of balsa that can be used to block off the tunnel if you don't need the entire length. They made a few minor enhancements between the one I looked at and the ones that will be built. For example the servo tray for the rudder servo will be just a little higher because the way it is some servos could have an interference with the exhaust tunnel. Nice work Aeroworks, its nice to see them making some changes so it will be even better.

The gas tank and all the fuel tubing is included in the kit. It's a square tank of very high quality with two grooves in it so it can easily be secured with cable ties. Congrats to Aeroworks on the tank I'm not quite sure where the smoke tank goes but I'm sure we can find a place for it. I forgot to look at that aspect while I was there. I guess I'll have to go back and check on it. LOL.

The hatch and canopy are completely assembled in the !QUOT!kit!QUOT!. I use the term kit very loosely because there is almost nothing left for the person who buys this plane to finish. Usually that might be a problem for a discriminating person like myself but the company that assembles this plane does a fantastic job and I really wonder if I could do any better.

Rocco told me that they use thicker plastic on the canopy than some other manufacturers because the thinner stuff may trim a few ounces but it doesn't hold up. In the hot sun a thinner canopy will start to bubble and deform. They also used a resign in the fiberglass that will withstand much higher temperatures than many resigns and maintain its strength. If I'm going to spend this much money on an airplane, I want it to be strong enough to last and still be light enough to fly well. I have a 60cc Renegade which is one of the first pattern type planes to use a gasoline engine and it has solid plywood sides all the way down. The plane is strong as an ox but flies like it. The Aeroworks YAK has the balance of durability and still very light weight that I like. I can't wait till mine comes so I get a chance to actually fly it.

The wheel pants come already assembled and painted. The only thing left to do is attach them to the landing gear with two screws. They have really taken this plane to a new level when it comes to the ease of assembly and quality of fabrication. By the way, the scuffs on the wheel pants and the slight traces of rust on the screws was the only thing that didn't look like the plane had just been removed from the box.

That's it for now.

Scott

Name:	Lj22891.jpg
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	373736   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je10268.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	373737   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ze86419.jpg
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	373738   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wq42942.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	373739  
Old 12-21-2005, 09:06 PM
Wings-RCU
My Feedback: (2)

I need to say, looking at the pictures; I am not really impressed. It looks to be a 17+ ponder. Weight of a pre-production prototype is little indication of what the final model will actually weigh for us. It appears to have a lot more ply wood than a QQ or EF and no carbon fiber parts. In addition it has flat fuse sides & not rounded like a YAK is supposed to be. The cowl is also tapered at the front and smaller diameter than the EF or BME. I think given AW's reputation with ARF's I would wait and see. AW's old kits were top notch, but as far as the feedback here on RCU, none of their current ARF's have been great. I just hope when it comes out it is as good as RedStickFlyer initial impression.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.