Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

New BME Aircraft 30% Extra330L

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

New BME Aircraft 30% Extra330L

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2006, 10:48 AM
bnjones22

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New BME Aircraft 30% Extra330L

xtraflyr, can you please tell me the elevation you fly at and the wieght of your plane? Do you guys think the mvvs (evolution) 58 is too heavy for the BME 330l? I have a da 50 in a h9 260 and it's a rocket at just under 15lbs, I was going to pull it and put it in this plane,as the promo's were claiming 15.5lbs. Now if the real world numbers are 16-17lbs I am wondering if the da 50 will still be a good option. I fly at 3500'. I asked Ken-h earlier in this post but got no response. I am realitively new (1-1/2 years) to this hobby so any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Brad.
Old 10-29-2006, 11:00 AM
bnjones22

Flatlandmike, thanks for the info, my friend purchased one of the new wh's also very nice plane.

Brad.
Old 10-29-2006, 11:17 AM
xtraflyr
My Feedback: (11)

ORIGINAL: newflyguy

xtraflyr, can you please tell me the elevation you fly at and the wieght of your plane? Do you guys think the mvvs (evolution) 58 is too heavy for the BME 330l? I have a da 50 in a h9 260 and it's a rocket at just under 15lbs, I was going to pull it and put it in this plane,as the promo's were claiming 15.5lbs. Now if the real world numbers are 16-17lbs I am wondering if the da 50 will still be a good option. I fly at 3500'. I asked Ken-h earlier in this post but got no response. I am realitively new (1-1/2 years) to this hobby so any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Brad.
Hey Brad,
Im not sure of exact elevation that Im at,I know were pretty low. Im not sure of the exact numbers on the Evo 58. But Ken was saying he had to put the batteries WAY back under the Canopy. I have the DA in my YAk and its just under 17lbs. And it flies it perfect.
Im pretty sure youll be fine with the DA50.. I know thats what Ill be putting in my Extra when I finally get it..

Later,
Frank
Old 10-29-2006, 11:42 AM
bnjones22

Thanks Frank, that's is very helpfull to me as I forgot to consider the wieght issues for balance(I
now remeber reading that Ken-H moved his batteries back). I think I will save myself $750.00 and go with my da. I am really looking forward to flying this plane.

Brad
Old 10-29-2006, 12:53 PM
jgraham10
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: Ken-h

ORIGINAL: jgraham10

Ken,
Nothing really negative to say towards BME as I'm a repeat customer with them. The damage had to happen long before the aircraft got here.
Just glad that their customer service is as good as it is. Already got the email response from Herve on the cowl and have plenty of time before the airplane is ready to fly.
The only negative comment I have is that I have to replace the fuel tank per the amendem as the tank being shipped is not believed to be for Gas. Not a real big issue but if they had time to
put the paper in there telling me that they should have been able to do something about it.

John
John,

The fuel tank is fine and all of the pieces for it. The single small piece of rubber tubing or fuel line supplied with the tank is what not to use. I am using the same tank on mine, hundreds of flights, no problems.

Ken
Ken,
Thanks for the info as I just read FUEL TANK and I finally got time to read the whole admendment.
I seemd to have jumped the gun with it.
Still thought it will be a sweet airplane once it is done.
John
Old 10-29-2006, 03:08 PM
Ken-h

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: newflyguy

Thanks Frank, that's is very helpfull to me as I forgot to consider the wieght issues for balance(I
now remeber reading that Ken-H moved his batteries back). I think I will save myself $750.00 and go with my da. I am really looking forward to flying this plane.

Brad
Brad,

Sorry I did not get back to you on the 58 question. I had to look that motor up, as I have no experience with it. Frank is right, I believe you would have a harder time getting the CG setup right for 3d at least. You'll be very happy with the DA on this plane anyway as it's pretty much made for it. It's really hard to say right now as far as CG is concerned until a few start coming in completed. Mine was a production prototype and there should not have been any differences in these except for a few improvements that are unseen.

Ken
Old 10-29-2006, 04:57 PM
Jake Ruddy
My Feedback: (40)

If you think you need a bit more power than a DA then consider the Brillelli 60. www.brillelli.com The 366GT 60cc is within an oz or 2 of the DA50 RTF and spins as hard as a G-62. Will pick several hundred rpms over the DA and not really add any weight.

Hope this helps.
Old 10-29-2006, 08:46 PM
bnjones22

Ken-H, thanks for the info on the da 50, I know you are very busy these days.

Sinergy, I will look inot this engine also thanks.

Brad.
Old 10-31-2006, 02:32 AM
marc 540
My Feedback: (6)

Is anybody building there extra's? Any more reports on damaged/sctatched fuses or cowl's? I was thinking about getting this one till I saw all the damaged parts coming out. Did anybody get one that is without damage or scratches?

Thanks, Marc 540[8D]
Old 10-31-2006, 07:06 AM
Digger44
My Feedback: (4)

I am not building mine yet but I did receive it on Friday. Packaging was very well done and everything was accounted for, except for the CD that was listed on the addendum. The covering was a little scratched on the turtle deck but an iron ran over set about 250 deg cleaned it right up. I havn't checked the wings yet but will today. I will try to get some pictures later of the scratches if I have any left. Everything else so far has been perfect. The hardware package is excellent and I don' see any need to purchase any replacements. Still not decided on the motor yet but I am leaning toward a converted G62. Not too far off in weight from a DA 50R and pulls as well if not better from what I read and hear. The thing is I don't see it any more on E-bay. The guy that had them at $275.00 does not have any of them listed right now. I hope he lists them again soon, you can't beat the price.

As far as the damages are concerned, I think that they are now being double checked before shipping and parts that were damaged from factory are being replaced. From what I hear on this thread, any body that actually received any damage is being taken care of immediately. Great customer service so far. I think you can count on that so don't let the few damages that were shipped by mistake discourage you from buying this plane.
Old 10-31-2006, 09:04 AM
bnjones22

Marc 540,

I am one of the ones with a damage one, let me assure you that Performance Aircraft Unlimited(BME), has been taking care of my issues. They have handled this with professional courtesy and are very polite. Other then the cosmetic damage(which i believe can happen with any other brand also) this looks to be a very well built and designed airplane. The hardware is top notch and they have even included a pull-pull which wasn't incl. when i ordered it. I believe mine was sent out before any quality control was in place as they were just trying to get these preordered planes out to the customers. With the customer service I am recieving they definately have a repeat customer in me. If you are considering this plane go for it, it is a top notch plane, with top notch service.

Brad

Old 10-31-2006, 02:19 PM
jgraham10

ORIGINAL: marc 540

Is anybody building there extra's? Any more reports on damaged/sctatched fuses or cowl's? I was thinking about getting this one till I saw all the damaged parts coming out. Did anybody get one that is without damage or scratches?

Thanks, Marc 540[8D]
Marc,
I have not had a chance to start the building of this airplane yet but I'm looking forward to it.
I too am one that received the airplane with the damaged cowl but Herve took care of it in short time, my new one is on the way.
This is the second airplane that I have ordered from BME/ Performace Aircraft Unlimited. It most likely will not be the last as their customer
service is top notch. The hardware is hard to beat and was one of the reasons I looked at the Extra when I pre-ordered it.

If you are looking for good airplanes with great customer service than this is a company to deal with.
John
Old 11-01-2006, 05:29 AM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I was looking at this aircraft as my next project, unfortunatly a I live in the UK getting a damaged one is out of the question, my QQ Yak ordered from the US was delivered in prinstine condition, so it is possible, until they get there act together its a no starter.

Mike
Old 11-01-2006, 08:52 AM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They have started to inspect them before shipping. The chance of you gettting a damaged one is very low now, the same chance as your QQ getting damaged.
Old 11-01-2006, 08:52 AM
Maudib
My Feedback: (51)

Mike, I can certainly understand you concern... it sure would be a dissapointment to get your plane in and have something damaged... especially being so far away)

But I have to say that their act IS together... that's why Ken-h (In charge of shipping and fulfillment) is checking each box to ensure that EVERY one that goes out is undamaged in shipping.

I'm sure if you'd like one, and are willing to pay the extra shipping and handling, that Ken would do his best to get you a pristine delivery and maybe take a few extra precautions like some balled newspaper to completely fill the cavity of the box, etc.

In fact, it's quite possible shipping overseas sees less hard handling than our good ol' US shipping routes...

Anywho... again the cowl and scratching issues have been only isloated incidences (remember they had lots of preorders to fill... and these were initially sent out without checking every box) and certainly this would make a few problems appear more prevalent than they are. No damage had been attributed to shipping, and the current packing methods and box design appears to be holding up even to our highly trained shipping Gorillas (UPS and FedEX).

Anywho, of course it's your call... but I just wanted to clarify that act IS together... and it's a class act to boot.
Old 11-01-2006, 10:11 AM
bnjones22

BaldEagle,

They do have their act together, they have quality control in place, I don't think you will have any worries to buy a plane from BME. Mine did come with some damage but it had nothing to do with shipping, it is the most well packed plane I have recieved, double boxed, and there wasn't a mark on the boxes.You will be missing out on a great plane if you are basing your descision on a couple of isolated incidences. I couldn't be happier with the serivice I am getting from these guys. I also have a qq yak, and it came with some issues also, and QQ did extend good customer service to me,but Herve is doing the same. I really do not see any risk in you purchasing a plane from BME.

Brad.
Old 11-01-2006, 10:39 AM
yarom
My Feedback: (82)

I would think it would be prudent to wait and see not only that damaged parts do not show up anymore, but also that BME takes care of everybody out there.

If there are people left with damaged parts and no replacement, it might still not be that great a deal...
Old 11-01-2006, 10:43 AM
BaldEagel

yarom

Prudence is a very nice girl, and I will wait untill I am assured by her that I will get a prinstine example.

Mike
Old 11-05-2006, 02:25 PM
bnjones22

Has anybody started building theirs yet?

Old 11-05-2006, 03:38 PM
yarom

I did - just get delayed on small technicalities - I'll resume soon.

So far only installed the firewall, throttle and rudder servos.
Old 11-08-2006, 10:19 PM
bnjones22

Yarom,

Just wondering how the build is going I haven't had a chance to get at mine yet.

Brad
Old 11-09-2006, 10:39 AM
yarom

Just waiting on a part switch and I will resume...
Old 11-09-2006, 10:48 AM
bnjones22

I hope to get started on mine this weekend, have you had any build issues as of yet?

Brad
Old 11-09-2006, 11:08 AM
yarom

Not really. It is very well explained and things seem to fall into place quite well.

I found some slight mistakes in the manual, but nothing that is an issue. There are also some aspects that are not discussed such as:

Trimming engine box for muffler clearance - Anyone using a pitts muffler will have an issue with the bottom of the motor box needing to be trimmed in order to clear the muffler. Not a big deal, but if you know about it before you glue the firewall, it is far easier to cut at that point.

Locating and installing the servos for throttle and choke - I guess this is left to the experienced builder to figure out. There are two servo bays way back in the fuse and close to CG. Some people might prefer installing in the motor box or anywhere closer to the engine to have a short straight shot to the carb arm.

Measuring indicence - Nothing about this in the manual. I like to verify mine in any case by zeroing the fuse on the thrust line and verifying the wings and stabs in relation to that.

Overall, if you have any experience putting together a gas bird of that size, you wil be pleasantly surprised. Make sure you go by the instructions, drill your horns perfectly perpendicular to surfaces, install the engine exactly per template and you will have no real issues.

I was looking at ways to lighten my plane, but it seems most of the tricks that come to mind have already been incorporated. I am still hesitating between pitts muffler and canister. I intend to prepare for both just to have the option.
Old 11-09-2006, 11:13 AM
BaldEagel

yarom

I used a pitts muffler in my Edge at first, and it was pulling 5100rpm as soon as I changed to a cannister silencer I picked up too 6150 with no change of neddle or oil content, the cannister silencers are so much more efficient I would not consider anything else now.

Mike

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.