Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

The BEST Smoke System

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2006, 07:56 PM
Josey Wales
My Feedback: (61)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The BEST Smoke System

ORIGINAL: RTK

BME 115
Ah HAA!! No doubt you could get good smoke with that size engine at 1/4 throttle[8D]
Old 12-04-2006, 08:45 PM
diamondave
My Feedback: (29)

ORIGINAL: Josey Wales

Ok I spoke with Sullivan and they suggested to go to a lower voltage pack so I tried a 7.4 instead of the 11.1 and its MUCH better..even at 7.4 it still really pumps a lot at 100%..I lowered my End Point to 30% and it seems just about perfect...at least on the ground..The smoke comes on just a few clicks under 1/2 throttle..hopefully I will be close enough so I will only have to adjust the end point a little.

Bob this is how I have my TX setup..its a 9C
Pump is plugged into channel 5
endpoint is 30%
PMix #6...throttle master..aux 5 slave
Aux 5- null
pos 1 +100
pos 2 -89
pos 3 -90
pos 4- 90
pos 5 -93
why does it look like this curve is backwards in the mix?? the faq's page even shows starting at lower and going up to positive numbers, yours is the other way around?? i know i have time to play with this but i am curious why?
Old 12-04-2006, 08:53 PM
diamondave

does anybody know the song title and/or who sings that song in qq's turbine video?? thats a pretty cool tune and was wondering if i can get it somewhere?
Old 12-04-2006, 08:54 PM
Josey Wales

ORIGINAL: diamondave

why does it look like this curve is backwards in the mix?? the faq's page even shows starting at lower and going up to positive numbers, yours is the other way around?? i know i have time to play with this but i am curious why?
Yea I know..originally I set mine up the way the faq says but everything worked in reverse..I even reversed the channel direction but the same thing happened..It works perfectly so I didnt bother messing with it..maybe I need to set something somewhere but it works. If you figure it out let me know.
Old 12-04-2006, 09:26 PM
diamondave

okay...we'll see what happens with mine i guess,..
i also noticed using a p mix you cant assign to a "vr", like a knob or slider, so there goes my thought of using the slider even for an on/off, unless i set the pmix and leave a switch in a position all the time and leave the aux channel set to vre(right slider), then that may turn it on and off right??, i may change some things on my radio anyway and try switch h for the smoke, thats one i can hit easy too, however thats currently my idle down which i use sometimes when landing down hill, our runway is on a slight incline and when the wind blows a certain way, you have to land that way, the idle down helps to slow it down before going off the runway, but i may move that to "f", the spring loaded switch, i dont use that for kill because i have a fiber optic kill on switch e, but does anyone know if that would work like i mentioned about the aux channel idea?
Old 12-04-2006, 09:43 PM
Josey Wales

Well Dave you got me thinking so I went to a new memory and set up the smoke pump and it works like the faq says which means I prolly have some other mix activated that I forgot about..so I just copied my Yak into the clear memory and now it works like the faq except my percentages are much lower..my highest setting is 50% and it still pumps out a lot..
Old 12-04-2006, 10:22 PM
diamondave

cool, i was wondering about that with the settings, i guess the idea is to make a curve at whatever level works the best, ie.. higher like the faqs page or proportionally lower like you say, and maybe flatten it out in the upper middle section, so you get full smoke at 3/4 to full throttle?
Old 12-05-2006, 12:59 AM
RTK
My Feedback: (1)

Here is a quick pic of how I built up the sides of the mufflesr and tapped it for the smoke nipple. I currently have them plug as I am adding some more baffling.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw66930.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	571948   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd90896.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	571949  
Old 12-05-2006, 09:45 AM
ncrego
My Feedback: (40)

does anybody know the song title and/or who sings that song in qq's turbine video?? thats a pretty cool tune and was wondering if i can get it somewhere?
It's Stephen Stills, Tree Top Flyer
Old 12-05-2006, 06:22 PM
diamondave

awesome, thanks, i thought the voice sounded kinda familar, but i wasnt sure, i appreciate it...

ORIGINAL: ncrego

It's Stephen Stills, Tree Top Flyer
Old 12-08-2006, 03:51 PM
diamondave

got my pump today, hope to get it in this weekend, not sure about flying it and testing it, but installed anyway

you guys using 2 check valves, should one be before the pump, and the other by the muffler? or both after the pump?

are you guys using the "crap trap" that came with the sullivan? any problems with that? i plan on using a filter in my pump line from the container, should i still use that craptrap?, i wasnt sure if it causes any flow problems...
Old 12-08-2006, 05:12 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

. . . are you guys using the "crap trap" that came with the sullivan?
Just my 2¢, but I don't bother filtering the smoke oil as it's not going through a fine jet nozzle like the fuel. Guess it can't hurt, though.
Old 12-08-2006, 05:14 PM
Josey Wales

ORIGINAL: diamondave

you guys using 2 check valves, should one be before the pump, and the other by the muffler? or both after the pump?
Thats the way I have mine setup one before and one next to the muffler..I have a filter on my fill line
Old 12-09-2006, 09:22 AM
diamondave

thanks guys....does it hurt the pump to run it dry, i mean for a short time, like while setting up the radio or testing, to just turn in on for a few seconds at most??, or even flying if you run out of fluid and it is still on for a moment?
Old 12-09-2006, 10:34 AM
Josey Wales

I was told by Sullivan to not run the pump when its dry..
Old 12-09-2006, 08:04 PM
diamondave

thanks, i didnt see anything in the little instruction paper so i wasnt sure, i didnt plan on running it dry, other than just to test for power and turning on point
got the tank mounted, was thinking of puting the pump on top of that, i just realized i dont have enough tygon fuel tube, i think i have enough to go to the fueler, and then maybe i can use the neoprene from there, i bought a 2' piece of that, i thought i had more regular tube, i guess it wont matter about the black neoprene right? they reccommend a small peice at the muffler, it would be alright to have a bigger piece right? like from the fueler, i will still put the check valve where it supposed to go
Old 12-09-2006, 08:26 PM
Josey Wales

Yea they just say use the neoprene at the muffler cause it wont melt like tygon..you could use all neoprene if you wanted
Old 12-10-2006, 08:44 AM
diamondave

cool, i may end up with just enough tygon actually, once i mounted the tank it looks like i may make it, i plan on using a quick filler, so i have 2 shorter pieces that will make it, if i was going right from the tank i didnt have a piece long enough, should be plumbing it up today
has anyone mounted the pump on the wing tube?? someone told me you can ziptie or even tape the pump to the wing tube so its on the cg? my tank is about 6" or so from the cg, i was going to put the pump right on the tank, but i am wondering if thats enough to give me too much of an aft cg, its the easiest place to mount it for sure, i may check the balance there and see how bad it moves it, i took out my pilot which was 3-4 oz's and further back, so the tank and pump that close to the cg may not change it too much, any ideas? i dont like the idea of mounting to the wing tube because cant that rotate from vibration? i wouldnt want that, plus it would be harder to get at if i want to take it out for a while or something
Old 12-12-2006, 10:41 AM
diamondave

i was wondering, jw, you mentioned earlier about trying to slow the smoke way down, how much of a stream should i have at lower throttle? it puts out a pretty healthy stream, maybe i should start way down and then go up as needed? i plan to try it out this coming weekend, but i wanted to know if i should be more like a trickle at lower settings? i will find out anyway, but was curious...
Old 12-12-2006, 10:58 AM
Josey Wales

I started off at just enough to turn the pump over..but that is not enough because there will be back pressure from the muffler so I had to bump it up..I would start off low then work your way up. Even though the stream seems like a lot it will get cut down from the back pressure..After all the tweaking my pmix points are only different by 1-3 %..actually I could prolly just set the correct flow for 1/2-3/4 throttle and use that percentage for everything..its not that big a deal on mine..prolly with the bigger twins there is..
Old 12-12-2006, 07:34 PM
diamondave

did you ever figure out why your #'s were reversed? cause mine is doing the same thing, i havent tried reversing the "servo" yet though
i think i may end up with the same idea, as far as getting a good flow for 3/8-5/8 throttle or so, i am sure i will be happy with it no matter what, and maybe not burn through the fluid as quick either
Old 12-12-2006, 07:38 PM
Josey Wales

I "think" I needed to reverse the channel but not sure..thats the only logical reason why everything was backwards.
Old 12-15-2006, 06:56 PM
diamondave

well i got everything ready to test out this weekend, but now there is a cold front coming through, supposed to be blustery and windy sometime tomorrow and sunday, i am hoping to have some calmer weather in the morning tomorrow to at least get a couple "smokin" flights, we'll see, may have to wait another week[&o]
Old 12-16-2006, 09:05 AM
torqmeister

Question for Josey Wales-- you mentioned going from an 11.1v to a 7.4v, why?

This will be my first venture (adventure?) with smoke. I have the Sullivan model. I says it is rated for 12v. I just assmed it would provide more smoke at the higher voltage.

Please explain. Thanks.
Old 12-16-2006, 09:24 AM
Josey Wales

ORIGINAL: torqmeister

Question for Josey Wales-- you mentioned going from an 11.1v to a 7.4v, why?

This will be my first venture (adventure?) with smoke. I have the Sullivan model. I says it is rated for 12v. I just assmed it would provide more smoke at the higher voltage.

Please explain. Thanks.
Exactly!! Im only using a 50cc engine so I dont need as much oil pumped as someone with a twin..Using the 11.1v lipoly I couldn't slow the pump down enough..Once I switched to a 7.4 the pump speed was almost cut in half..More fluid is not always better..you should set the pump speed to give just enough fluid to keep the smoke nice and thick..any more will just pass through the muffler and end up on the bottom of the plane..If you have a 100 or 150 then you may need the additional voltage cause now your feeding 2 mufflers instead of 1.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.