Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

The BEST Smoke System

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2006, 10:56 AM
torqmeister

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The BEST Smoke System

Thanks, that explains it.
Old 12-19-2006, 02:27 PM
diamondave
My Feedback: (29)

well we had some strong winds last weekend, hoping to try it out this coming weekend, if not i may rig something up in my yard to run it

you guys who have tried diesel, why do some say straight and some say 50/50 with atf? what does the atf do, make it less messy? make it smoke different somehow? i am just wondering, i have the superdri to start with, but i will expierement after thats gone
Old 12-19-2006, 05:35 PM
Josey Wales
My Feedback: (61)

Just be sure not to test over any grass you want to keep alive!!
Old 12-19-2006, 06:03 PM
RTK
My Feedback: (1)

Yep, he is correct[]
Old 12-19-2006, 06:55 PM
diamondave

grass killer a? i was thinking of taking it just off my property to the field behind my house anyway, i figure i'd make a mess with the fuel too, it not really green grass here anyhow, more like straw type weads and dirt, ideally i want to take it out to fly, we'll just see what the weather brings, i dont mind the cold too much, but it was crazy windy last weekend, a cold front came through and blew saturday and sunday... now if my wife would do that fine[sm=spinnyeyes.gif]
Old 12-23-2006, 07:10 PM
diamondave

well i am starting to think i should have gotten the tme pump, the sullivan worked great, lots of smoke, really cool, the "elders" at the field were digging it, then the 3rd flight, the piece of sh&t stopped working[:@], i thought maybe i was out of fluid already, after landing i noticed there was half a tank still, tried the pump and it kinda made a faint, high pitch whiney sound, like its locked up already, i didnt run it dry, tried a different battery, same thing, blew in it, took it apart but its a sealed motor in there so i really cant do anything with it, without maybe messing up the warranty, so i called tower and there customer service people are out until teusday, so i am smokeless for a while i guess, i am none too happy with this pump so far, it worked good but it needs to be reliable...and i know when i 1st linked on here i read about others with problems with this pump[>:], we'll see what happens i guess
Old 12-23-2006, 07:16 PM
Josey Wales

That sucks..Sullivan has DA'like customer service so Im sure they will replace it....Honestly..I had 3 TME's and I had to send 2 of them back so nothing is a real guarantee..And TME is a good company but you never know..It seems either you get a good one or a bad one from whatever company.
Old 12-24-2006, 08:59 AM
diamondave

i did notice when i 1st did a search in the forums there seemed to be more threads with sullivan problems then with tme, but o well i bought it anyway, i dont think it will be a problem getting it replaced either, but it sucks to be without it for 2 weeks or so
Old 12-24-2006, 12:20 PM
RTK
My Feedback: (1)

The only reason I bought the TME was because you can take it apart if the gears become stuck with foreign material.
Old 12-24-2006, 12:58 PM
Bob Pastorello
My Feedback: (198)

Yep. That's the one I'm using. About a gallon through mine.

It's all luck.
Old 12-24-2006, 01:05 PM
Josey Wales

Do you guys run any solvent through the pump to clean it ?
Old 12-24-2006, 01:33 PM
Bob Pastorello

I don't; I just use triple filtering (filling jug, before jug pump, in line from smoke tank to pump).
Who knows what really works?
Old 12-24-2006, 05:24 PM
diamondave

i was wondering if mine was stuck with something, but you cant get in there, i do use a filter, i tried blowing air in both ends, tried reversing the servo to see if that would do anything, shook it around, tapped on it, nothing, its fu&*%d i guess
Old 01-03-2007, 04:40 PM
diamondave

well so far i cannot reccommend sullivan to anyone, they gave me a choice of either po box or ups, i sent my bad pump back(3 flights since new) to there po box, post office says it was delivered thursday the 28, sullivan says they dont have it????, they are supposed to look around and get back with me, its been almost a week since it got there, i know there was a holiday but still, this is messed up, i insured it with the post office but since it was delivered i dont know if i can do anything with them, so far i have to say my experience with sullivan totally sucks, nothing good what so ever[:@]
Old 01-03-2007, 05:11 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Hey guys, Read this:

[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/article_display.cfm?article_id=455]Got Smoke?[/link]

Get this pump:

[link=http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/ItemBrowse/c-10101/s-10101/p-100000214127/mediaCode-ZX/appId-100000214127/Pr-p_CATENTRY_ID:100000214127]$12 pump[/link]

Here are my results:

[link=http://www.rcuvideos.com/view_video.php?viewkey=98dd60a634b2ad8fbbd5]Skybolt video[/link]
Old 01-03-2007, 05:18 PM
Richard D Bahmann aka/Wrongway
My Feedback: (42)

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer

Hey guys, Read this:

Get this pump:

[link=http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/ItemBrowse/c-10101/s-10101/p-100000214127/mediaCode-ZX/appId-100000214127/Pr-p_CATENTRY_ID:100000214127]$12 pump[/link]

Can you tell us what the pump weight is?

Thanks,

Richard
Old 01-03-2007, 05:30 PM
MinnFlyer

Off hand I don't know Richard, but it's not too heavy. In fact, it looks amazingly similar to another smoke pump
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl29500.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	589892  
Old 01-03-2007, 05:39 PM
Josey Wales

ORIGINAL: diamondave

well so far i cannot reccommend sullivan to anyone, they gave me a choice of either po box or ups, i sent my bad pump back(3 flights since new) to there po box, post office says it was delivered thursday the 28, sullivan says they dont have it????, they are supposed to look around and get back with me, its been almost a week since it got there, i know there was a holiday but still, this is messed up, i insured it with the post office but since it was delivered i dont know if i can do anything with them, so far i have to say my experience with sullivan totally sucks, nothing good what so ever[:@]
That stinks...I know how you feel..I did the same as you except it was Slimline muffler..same thing happened..thats why I use UPS, Fed Ex
Old 01-03-2007, 07:44 PM
Bob Pastorello

Minnflyer - you using that with an ESC to control rpm? THAT would essentially make it the "TME" (which I'm using, and is working so far).

Pumps look REMARKABLY similar! GREAT find.

I shall buy one, just to play.
Old 01-03-2007, 08:59 PM
mrbigg
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Look closely at the pics of the two pumps and you'll see the difference between the two. The TME pump has capacitors soldered on to reduce radio interference. Just like R/C car motors. Shouldn't be too hard to add to the Whitney pump.
Old 01-03-2007, 10:29 PM
air mail rcu

ORIGINAL: Josey Wales

ORIGINAL: diamondave

That stinks...I know how you feel..I did the same as you except it was Slimline muffler..same thing happened..thats why I use UPS, Fed Ex
If you had tracking from the Post Office and they said it was delivered you can bet it was. Please don't confuse bad service from Sullivan's with the post office. I had the same thing happen with another company. After they looked around gee they found it. Not before I told them when it was delivered and who signed for it. I have had more problems with UPS then I ever had with the Post Office. The last 5 things I received from UPS all had damage. The last time the UPS driver delivered a package he said the other package was so banged up he was embarrassed to even get it off the truck. I can honestly say I never had a problem with anything I have sent through the Post Office.
Old 01-04-2007, 08:46 AM
MinnFlyer

I am not using an ESC, I just use a servo-activated microswitch for on and off and I use a home-made flow restrictor (On one plane I use an old needle valve to regulate flow). I have used it on several planes (At least 4) and have not had any interference problems with it. I have used other windshield washer pump that DID cause interference - sometimes severe - but not a lick of problems with this one.

One note: Since it is meant for a 12v system, sometimes the seal is too tight for a 4.8v pack (I have had this happen on 2 of the 4 pumps I have). On one of them, I ran it off my car battery for a while to loosen it up, on the other, I just SLIGHTLY loosened the 4 screws that hold the bottom cover on. All 4 pumps work like a charm now.

Here are some pics of my setup, and again, here's a link to the article I wrote for RCU Magazine:

[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/article_display.cfm?article_id=455]Got Smoke?[/link]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn36569.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	590462   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj26390.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	590463  
Old 01-04-2007, 10:03 AM
Bob Pastorello

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer

I am not using an ESC, I just use a servo-activated microswitch for on and off and I use a home-made flow restrictor (On one plane I use an old needle valve to regulate flow). I have used it on several planes (At least 4) and have not had any interference problems with it. I have used other windshield washer pump that DID cause interference - sometimes severe - but not a lick of problems with this one.

One note: Since it is meant for a 12v system, sometimes the seal is too tight for a 4.8v pack (I have had this happen on 2 of the 4 pumps I have). On one of them, I ran it off my car battery for a while to loosen it up, on the other, I just SLIGHTLY loosened the 4 screws that hold the bottom cover on. All 4 pumps work like a charm now.

Here are some pics of my setup, and again, here's a link to the article I wrote for RCU Magazine:

Great article, and info. Thank you for the research and testing!
I do need to be able to vary the flow based on throttle position, so that was what prompted my ESC question. A THRO>THRO mix, with an offset properly set, maybe will get me close enough to the multi-point I had with the JR 10X. Now, since converting to Spektrum, I don't have that luxury, so will have to be creative in solutions of this problem.

Any ideas welcomed!
Thanks again!
Old 01-04-2007, 10:20 AM
MinnFlyer

Well, just for the record, my smoke - with a single flow-rate worked well at all throttle settings. And I have used it on a YS 91, YS 110, Saito 150 and Zen G-62 (all with no special mufflers).

Also, if you want to vary the flow with an ESC, I would recommend using a 6v system.

[link=http://www.rcuvideos.com/view_video.php?viewkey=98dd60a634b2ad8fbbd5]Video of YS91 w/ smoke[/link] (Same as "Skybolt" link above)

[link=http://videoserver.rcuniverse.com/rcuvideos/magazine/reviews/573/cevidh.wmv]Video of Saito 150 w/ smoke[/link] Skyshark Christen Eagle
Old 01-04-2007, 08:28 PM
diamondave

i wasnt bad mouthing the post office, just sullivan, still no word from them

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.