Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Extreme Flight 88" Yak - Build and Fly

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Extreme Flight 88" Yak - Build and Fly

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 10:39 AM
Mokken
My Feedback: (63)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Extreme Flight 88" Yak - Build and Fly

ORIGINAL: spodboy

justa coupla quick questions.
finished my electrics install but wondered if i should plug in the two outputs from my smartfly reg into my rx.
if so, where do i plug both of them in, i have a futaba 319 pcm synth rx which looks to only have one power input.
also do the prop bolts need to be threadlocked or just tightened down.
hey also, i have a mejzlik carbon prop, does this need balancing, if so, how.
getting near to a maiden flight but the questions keep mounting up.
best regards, ttfn.
You should have no problem putting both power leads into the RX, I've done that for years. Just tighten the prop bolts, and in proper order, that should be in the manual. No need to use thread locker. And yes you should always balance your props, do a Google search and you should find some good reading on that subject.
Old 06-21-2007, 04:36 PM
Bosshossv8
My Feedback: (10)

Down on the Deck has a great prop balancing video.....A Real eye opener.....

No John, I have a DA in this one....the DL is for my beaters.

ANd...the 87" is no beater.

I just sent a video of my crank play to DA ....I don;t know what to make of it.

I will just pop in my spare for the weekend.....
Old 06-21-2007, 06:11 PM
yarom
My Feedback: (82)

Needle settings same as well?

Do I start with factory settings or just go for it in the dark until a find a low end and then the rest?

ORIGINAL: jrjohn

ORIGINAL: yarom

Also, if you have some general instructions for this engine in terms of break-in and running, or is it exactly the same way as the DA?
I treated mine the same.

John
Old 06-21-2007, 08:33 PM
Bosshossv8

I sent DA the video of my crank slop, and Yup, the wrist pin is worn.

So......I changed out to my spare DA and flew this evening, dialing in the carb on the spare...I changed it out to a different 34/64 diameter carb...still a Walbro...but one that is supposed to deliver more fuel vis-a-vis a bigger orifice.

It worked well...I could fatten it up until it coughed....

Yarom....

If you are looking for tuning advice....or instructions....go to RCaerobats.com .....or DA has great instructions also.

It is very simple....I prefer a fat low end....on my engines...not my women. I would rather blurble a bit, then flame out at a vulnerable angle/altitude.

Whirly....how big is your email?? You might want to see this video of my motor.....the file is 8meg.
Old 06-21-2007, 08:40 PM
Mokken
My Feedback: (63)

ORIGINAL: Bosshossv8

I sent DA the video of my crank slop, and Yup, the wrist pin is worn.

So......I changed out to my spare DA and flew this evening, dialing in the carb on the spare...I changed it out to a different 34/64 diameter carb...still a Walbro...but one that is supposed to deliver more fuel vis-a-vis a bigger orifice.

It worked well...I could fatten it up until it coughed....

Yarom....

If you are looking for tuning advice....or instructions....go to RCaerobats.com .....or DA has great instructions also.

It is very simple....I prefer a fat low end....on my engines...not my women. I would rather blurble a bit, then flame out at a vulnerable angle/altitude.

Whirly....how big is your email?? You might want to see this video of my motor.....the file is 8meg.
Post it on rcuvideos.com So we all can see..
Old 06-21-2007, 08:42 PM
Whirlyspud

Send it.
Mike
Old 06-21-2007, 08:57 PM
diamondave
My Feedback: (29)

got my rudder set up all complete, installed the tail wheel the way chris did, at 1st i was looking at it and something didnt look right, luckily before my loktite dried all the way i realized the wheel was 180 off from the tiller, so it was kinda in front of the hinge line, had to take it off and flip it, now it looks the way its suppose to, i am hoping to get it done or damn near done this weekend, my plan is to maiden next saturday if all goes well, its getting there, and i am kinda prould of myself so far, i hate building, or assembling, what ever you want to call it, but i have stayed motivated with this one, most likely cause i know its a good one, and i lost my comp arf , but so far i am doing good, for me anyway
Old 06-22-2007, 06:19 AM
Bosshossv8

Dave,

I hope you filed a flat or groove in the shaft for the collars on the tailwheel. I had to do it twice and make a really deep groove for the bottom collar. The shaft would push up , even after a small flat was filed. So , I got aggressive and put a GROOVE in it.

I also found a washer that was almost the width of the carbon, to go on top of the bottom collar, to spread the side load. I had this style of tailwheel hog out from side load before......of course, I like to do a victory donut after each succesful flight!!!![8D]

I changed out motors....and I forgot to say...my motorbox passed inspection, still solid and not stressed. All that re-inforcing paid off.
Old 06-22-2007, 07:27 AM
diamondave

ORIGINAL: thomasf

A good starting point is center of wing tube, My friends and I use that saying(c*nt hair) all the time in one form or another. Just make sure the woman aren't listening or the go ape sh*t.
yeh and did you know a c*nt hair is a little less than a c*nt lip
Old 06-22-2007, 07:28 AM
diamondave

boss, i didnt put a flat on the top side part, guess i should, will do later, got to go to work now[sm=cry_smile.gif]
Old 06-22-2007, 02:24 PM
yarom

Need information on canister install for this plane with DA-50R -

Exact part number - is the MTW 75K OK?

Exact header - how much drop?

Any issues with fitting the canister in the fuse?

Thanks.
Old 06-22-2007, 03:10 PM
yarom

Next set of questions - I saw somewhere (i think the manual) that we are NOT supposed to use the drill marks etched on the firewall.

Is this correct?
Do we need to overlay the DA-50 template and mark new holes?
What standoffs are required? Chris wants at least an inch of clearance for the prop, which would suggest 3" standoffs.

Thanks.
Old 06-22-2007, 03:45 PM
Whirlyspud

Use the template, not the marked holes.

I made that mistake on mine.

Mike
Old 06-22-2007, 04:36 PM
JagBone

ORIGINAL: yarom

Next set of questions - I saw somewhere (i think the manual) that we are NOT supposed to use the drill marks etched on the firewall.

Is this correct?
Do we need to overlay the DA-50 template and mark new holes?
What standoffs are required? Chris wants at least an inch of clearance for the prop, which would suggest 3" standoffs.

Thanks.
I'd like to know if this is error still holds true with the most recent shipment deliveries- ( arrived late May). This may have been corrected since this thread was started. I haven't purchased my DA for this plane yet so I too am interested in the (current) answer.
Old 06-22-2007, 05:36 PM
Bosshossv8

Absolutely do NOT use the marks. Use DA-50 drill guide againast the right-most line, when looking at the box.

Dave....on the tailwheel , the collar that is BELOW the CF bracket can get pushed down in a hard tail hit, and the shaft goes further up into the CF bracket. Make sure that one has a set screw into a good groove. The upper one , if it comes loose...well, you lose the wheel and shaft.

I washed it topped and bottom for more surface area , so the tailwheel doesn't cant-over and dig into the CF.

I need a new wheel....my foam is just about gone.

I am going to a Fly-In on Sunday, and am going to smoke, smoke, smoke....slime, slime,slime.

Yarom....I used 3" standoffs on my DA, with a large fender washer also, and I have 1/2 inch of over lap on the canopy and more than an inch of prop clearance to the cowl.

Old 06-22-2007, 05:45 PM
diamondave

maybe its your hard ***** landings boss, doh', just kidding, i did put a grove on it now, i also put a dab of black rtv silicone, like you buy at napa, i use that on the end of the tail wheel shaft on the outside colar, seems to hold it on better, so i put a dab on the bottom of that bottom colar, i know it wont hold if it hits hard, but whats the saying, build to fly not to crash(haha), i did use some bigger washers on the screws as well to spread the load.

you guys using the wheel spats, do i need 2" axles, i have 1&3/4 and with my kavan 4" wheels there isnt much room left after 2 colars, so the spats may not go on yet, if i get buy the hobby shop by next weekend i will put them on, i was planing on it until now, even 2&1/4 i guess and i could always cut the end off right?
Old 06-22-2007, 06:07 PM
yarom

Thanks - added the corrections to my notes. I will use the 3" standard DA with nice automotive washers on both sides.

ORIGINAL: Bosshossv8

Absolutely do NOT use the marks. Use DA-50 drill guide againast the right-most line, when looking at the box.

Yarom....I used 3" standoffs on my DA, with a large fender washer also, and I have 1/2 inch of over lap on the canopy and more than an inch of prop clearance to the cowl.

Old 06-22-2007, 10:14 PM
yarom

- NEWS UPDATE -

I don't know with which production batch this starts, but it appears there were some upgrades made at the factory. At least this hold true for my kit which was delivered 2 or 3 weeks ago.

Unlike popular belief, the marked holes in the firewall are exactly right for a DA-50R. I took a while to apply the template and mark the holes carefully, only to discover they ended up exactly in the center of the shallow holes in the firewall. Installing the DA took less than 5 minutes.

The firewall seems to be made of very thick material laid down in several layers. The outside layer seems to be fiberglass. Tri-stock is already glued on the sides both inside and out and along the bottom going into the fuselage.

Another variance from the manual - the covering is already removed from all the holes and properly tucked. The rudder servo beams are already installed and the all there is to do is glue the servo support itself (and the Maudib modification).

Workmanship is out of this world. And I thought the QQ Yak was the high bar. This is already a notch above...
Old 06-22-2007, 10:35 PM
JagBone

ORIGINAL: diamondave

maybe its your hard ***** landings boss, doh', just kidding, i did put a grove on it now, i also put a dab of black rtv silicone, like you buy at napa, i use that on the end of the tail wheel shaft on the outside colar, seems to hold it on better, so i put a dab on the bottom of that bottom colar, i know it wont hold if it hits hard, but whats the saying, build to fly not to crash(haha), i did use some bigger washers on the screws as well to spread the load.

you guys using the wheel spats, do i need 2" axles, i have 1&3/4 and with my kavan 4" wheels there isnt much room left after 2 colars, so the spats may not go on yet, if i get buy the hobby shop by next weekend i will put them on, i was planing on it until now, even 2&1/4 i guess and i could always cut the end off right?
I have soldered a washer on the inside of the axle instead of the inside second collar - same for the tail wheel.
Old 06-22-2007, 11:22 PM
diamondave

that may give me just enough, i will check it out, i think i want new axles anyway, these are getting old and kinda beet up, but still seem straight so still good i guess
Old 06-22-2007, 11:39 PM
MustangAce
My Feedback: (3)

I just wanted to add to the "Fly" part of this forum. Also, to thank Glenn Batson for the video, all up until the part where he focuses in on a guy holding a transmitter in his hand. He has the strangest look on his face ..................

http://musiccityaviators.com/gallery...?album=9&pos=2
Old 06-23-2007, 07:01 AM
Richard D Bahmann aka/Wrongway
My Feedback: (42)

Good job Shane. Might have to change your handle now to "Yak Ace!!"

What size prop is that you are using?
Old 06-23-2007, 07:12 AM
JagBone

Nice job! Thanks for the added boost of motivation to get er' done!!
Using a canister muffler would eliminate much of that buzzing noise found on your video though!
Old 06-23-2007, 07:28 AM
Bosshossv8

Nice flying, Shane.

What was the temp after that flight???

I am coming down at about 210-230 .............
Old 06-23-2007, 08:15 AM
diamondave

good vid, sounded pretty damn good to me, a while back on this thread some people mentioned hovers were getting old, no way, i could watch an entire flight of hovers, harries and tq rolls, thats why i love the hucking vid from ef, anyway, very nice, now i can go work on mine

guess i had a brain fade last night, must be the heat, but my axles should work, looks like the spat goes over the bolt part against the leg, so the lenght of the axle shouldnt matter too much, we'll see, thats one of the last things i am doing, the gear would be in the way on my stand, time to mess with the cowl....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.