Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Extreme Flight 88" Yak - Build and Fly

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Extreme Flight 88" Yak - Build and Fly

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 09:53 AM
xtraflyr
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Extreme Flight 88" Yak - Build and Fly

ORIGINAL: JoeAirPort

ORIGINAL: Columbo

Cobra,

Mine looks exactly like that. I left it sticking up out of the garbage can at our airfield. Your rudder looks good. Why didn't you salvage that? I took mine off. I just had to cut the hinges. They can be redrilled.

Joe, yes shipping will add another $100, but $400 is still better than nearly $800 for the entire plane.

Greg
Looks like he broke off his counter balance.

Yes $400 is way better than $800. I'd be in this same situation if I doinked mine in. I usually come close pretty much every flight....some times more than once.
When I crashed my first one,I called Chris to get the parts,it ended up being only a $100 or so more to get the whole kit,so I just went for that.. I still have both original wings,and the horizontal stabs and elevators. The stabs and elev. are fine the wings need very minor work...
Old 05-04-2009, 10:34 AM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's why it's a good idea to keep an eye out for other people that crashed theirs....or people just trying to sell their used ones cheap. You can get replacement parts much cheaper that way. My first 25% CAP232 went in for a crash landing due to losing aileron servos to flutter....on the maiden. That wing cost me $150 plus shipping....that was 50% of the cost of a new ARF. That was a brutal lesson in servo selection. 7955's only please....
Old 05-04-2009, 11:39 AM
flygilmore

I was the one that had the stinger depart my DL50 muffler a few weeks ago. My father in law welded it back for me with a good, thick weld plus I shortened it by an inch. I had talked with the place that I got the engine from (Not Valley View BTW) and the guy lied to me saying he had never heard of muffler issues like mine before and that it must have been my fault.....
So far it is holding up.
Old 05-04-2009, 04:44 PM
Columbo
My Feedback: (9)

Hey Cobra,

If you ever get the Extra, make sure the registration number on the fuse isn't J012173.
Old 05-04-2009, 06:01 PM
diamondave
My Feedback: (29)

thanks for the info guys
Old 05-05-2009, 12:05 AM
Barry Cazier
My Feedback: (17)

Man, you guys are making me envious....I'm kinda grounded right now. My BME isn't working and I'm trying to get that sorted out, so the EF Yak is in the garage, I went out a week a go and crashed my Sukhoi when I ran it out of gas in a hover (how stupid is that, even ignored the timer alarm), my Reactor is on the bench and needs a couple more nights to finish and I have two in the boxes (both Wild Hare Edges). So....if I'm gonna fly this week, I guess it back to my trusty UCD glow plane. Good thing I keep that around.

I'm gonna work on the EF Yak tomorrow, Tom at BME gave me a couple of ideas to try. I think I may have trashed my ignition because I was using a 6 volt battery rather than a 4.8 (How stupid is that, even ignored all the warnings in the manual)

Oh,,,just remembered, I have a Tango to fly also. That thing is squirelly, big time, but will do the fastest flat spins I've even seen. It's fun to fly but very tricky to land and take off and fly. Fun though.

Well....at least I wasn't killed in my Sukhoi crash....much better than full scale.

Thanks
Barry
Old 05-05-2009, 07:28 AM
JoeAirPort

Hopefully it's just the ignition. Does it use the RCXL ignition? The C&H type? If so you can get them for $56 from WrongwayRC.com.
Old 05-05-2009, 09:05 AM
MIXMASTER
My Feedback: (15)

Hey Barry, still flying the Do!!!!!!!?????? I sold mine for $50, RTF, it had so many repairs that I didnt even use matching covering, it was ugly but still would 3-D. I get a kick out of watching a friend fly it now, brings back memories, sob. I still have my wonderfull DV and TTOC Yak 30% flying, its interesting, I did the same thing with my Yak, forgot to re-fuel. After 13 minutes it went dry in a 20' hover.. DA has wonderful service, only cost me about $60 for new prop shaft extension including labor, a 4-stroke glow would have cost way more to repair!! I'm still working on my 33% TTOC Yak(believe it or not, almost 1 year!!)Maybe will maiden in a few weeks though. I miss my Fusion most out of all my glow planes, if I ever go back, a Fusion will be 1st!!
Old 05-05-2009, 09:33 AM
diamondave
My Feedback: (29)

barry just think after you fly the squirlly plane for a while the 88 we be like a trainer or something....my only glow plane left is the chinn yak, its a blast to fly for sure,....i set my timer on the safe side, 11 minutes, so even if i ignore it initially i have a few more minutes to finish a hover or 2, then land, usually still have fuel left, but 11-12 min is long enough for me anyway, i like to take a short break after that
Old 05-05-2009, 10:11 AM
Barry Cazier
My Feedback: (17)

Yeah the ignition is the same type as all the gas engines I've seen. Same as a DA only the connctors are backwards. I may try a DA ignition that I have to see if I can get it running. Right now, I have a sore shoulder from cranking that thing several hundred times. Good news is I'm seating the rings....

Diamond dave. Yeah the Yak will feel great after the Tango. It's amazing how easy to fly some of the bigger planes are. Makes me wonder which should be the tranier.

Mix...yeah, I still "Do" it. I really do like the UCDs. They are very fun to fly. But, I gotta admit...I don't fly them that much anymore since I have the gas planes.

My mid year resolution is to listen to my timers. And land when they go off. Afterall...that's why I set them....isn't it?
Thanks
Barry
Old 05-05-2009, 01:58 PM
MIXMASTER
My Feedback: (15)

I put a glove on my prop to remind me its been fueled, I always watch the timer on my radio(I cant hear the beeps!!!) A Do wouldnt do it for me anymore,(ha ha , but the Fusion would still make me happy, wonder if they fixed that covering?
I was impressed with EF 88" Yak 54, only had it a few minutes & engine is new, I want more time before I say "W-O-W!!!"
Old 05-05-2009, 02:28 PM
JoeAirPort

Sounds like you need to get one.
Old 05-05-2009, 03:26 PM
Gatorb8

Yeah,
I have learned, whenever I ignore my timer I get so engrossed I run out of fuel. Now, if it beeps, I'm commin' in!
Gatorb8
Old 05-05-2009, 03:31 PM
Gatorb8

I got to test my new throws on the ailerons today. Wind was 13 to 18+, medium rates were 50* with 80% expo, high rates were 50* with 60% expo. Winds were similar to my last flight where I could not stop it from torque rolling and getting caught by the wind. The new throws and expos worked great! No more getting pushed around. I'm gonna keep them there. It really felt like a different plane.
Gatorb8

edit: just looked at the wind plot for today, it was blowing 17 - 25 mph, it has been a windy spring [:@]
Old 05-05-2009, 07:03 PM
Gatorb8

ORIGINAL: closetguy

well i just got my first flight on yak no.2 with the BME 58,all i can say what a difference from the first one that had a Evolution 58.you would not think there would be much of a difference in flying a 4lb. engine verse a 2-3/4lb. BUT THERE IS! keep it light and you will be amazed.
Hey closetguy,
Now that you've had time on the BME 58 I'm curious to hear hou you like it. I'm looking for more power than 50cc. I looked at the specs on the EVO 58 and 8.5 hp at 4 lbs is pretty impressive. I can't find many threads on the EVO 58gx2.............The BME 58 extreme 6 hp at 2.7 lbs. 2 hp less but 1.3 lbs less.............Which one was your favorite?
Gatorb8
Old 05-06-2009, 05:45 AM
closetguy
My Feedback: (13)

Gatorb,the 58 BME is a nice engine!i don't think it will turn a 24-8 like the Evo 58,but i wanted to do a 88"EF yak light,much better flying plane.
the Evo58 is a power house of a engine,no problems with it at all,you just need a plane that will support a 4lb. engine.
i now want to sell the two DA50's i have and replace them with the BME58,also the MT57 will be on the replacement list for the BME58.
Old 05-06-2009, 07:33 AM
JoeAirPort

Gator, with high elevation I'd think the BME 58 would work better. You'd have tons of power and low wing loading. Thing is you would need to move weight forward with the pound less in the nose.
Old 05-06-2009, 09:09 AM
Gatorb8

Joe,
Yeah, that's my conclusion too. Going to the BME 58 would shave off 8 oz from my existing set-up, give a little more hp, and keep the wing load down (which I will need this summer flying at 7000'). I was searching around for info on the BME reliability, RTK has had good results, no one is complaining..........but I have noticed, no one really trashes engines in the forums.......seems to be unwritten rule?

I'm leaning toward the BME
Gatorb8
Old 05-06-2009, 10:02 AM
Richard D Bahmann aka/Wrongway
My Feedback: (42)

Jerry if you want to shave some weight get rid of the twin receivers, twin batteries...etc etc. Mine started in the 16 pound range and 4 repairs, no cf gear later Rocky has gained.....yes there is a difference.

R
Old 05-06-2009, 11:13 AM
Gatorb8

ORIGINAL: Richard D Bahmann aka/Wrongway

Jerry if you want to shave some weight get rid of the twin receivers, twin batteries...etc etc. Mine started in the 16 pound range and 4 repairs, no cf gear later Rocky has gained.....yes there is a difference.

R
R,
Well let's see: Rx = 10 grams, a123 1100 = 3 oz, switch = 18 grams. I use 2 a123 1100 batts, I don't think going to 1 1100 a123 is prudent.........so by getting rid of the switch and Rx I would save 28 grams or 1 oz. I think I would rather have the redundancy for the 1 oz penalty.

Help me with the etc, etc.........
See Ya at Joe Nall, we can further discuss in the evening over multiple brews..........
Gatorb8
Old 05-06-2009, 11:46 AM

Sorry Gator, when you had your cowl off at FX3D I could swear you had 3 A123-2300's.

My bad....I will tell you about the helium filled ping pong ball trick.

Here is one that is worth more than one ounce... go to a 16 or even 14 oz fuel tank. On my EF with the 60 I use a 16 oz, fly 10 to 11 minutes and still have maybe 3 or 4 minutes reserve....just listen to the timer...4-6 oz less fuel on take off is equal to a quarter pound....A well tuned gasser is fairly economical.

Lets FLY!!
Old 05-06-2009, 11:50 AM
JoeAirPort

Yep I like 16oz tanks. It saves you 4 oz over a 20oz tank, and a half pound over a 24oz tank !!!!!
Old 05-06-2009, 12:18 PM
Gatorb8

Sorry Gator, when you had your cowl off at FX3D I could swear you had 3 A123-2300's.

Here is one that is worth more than one ounce... go to a 16 or even 14 oz fuel tank. On my EF with the 60 I use a 16 oz, fly 10 to 11 minutes and still have maybe 3 or 4 minutes reserve....just listen to the timer...4-6 oz less fuel on take off is equal to a quarter pound....A well tuned gasser is fairly economical.

Lets FLY!!
3 - A123 1100's, so I'm already skinny on batteries, no regulators, no cowl pants, no spinner, no pilot.........I did put the cowl pie plate in, that added a few oz's [:@], I could get those lite-wheels and maybe shave a few oz's. Bring some of those helium pong balls to Nall!

I like the small tank idea. Or, how about just don't fill it all the way, though, I would have to have a way to tell how many oz's I put in, and if I'm off............DOINK!
Gatorb8
Old 05-06-2009, 12:29 PM
Gatorb8

R,
As Joe would say, I'm a nerd...........

There is .8 oz-wt per oz-vol gasoline, maybe bump that a bit for oil and a bit for smaller fuel tank and you probably save 1 oz-wt per oz-vol fuel, so 4 oz-vol reduction of fuel is about 4 oz-wt, or a quarter pound

Sorry, I just had to do it!
Gb8

I still like that BME..........
Old 05-06-2009, 12:34 PM

ORIGINAL: Gatorb8

Lets FLY!!
3 - A123 1100's, so I'm already skinny on batteries, no regulators, no cowl pants, no spinner, no pilot.........I did put the cowl pie plate in, that added a few oz's [:@], I could get those lite-wheels and maybe shave a few oz's. Bring some of those helium pong balls to Nall!

I like the small tank idea. Or, how about just don't fill it all the way, though, I would have to have a way to tell how many oz's I put in, and if I'm off............DOINK!
Gatorb8

no pilot. Now we know!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.