Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Extreme Flight 88" Yak - Build and Fly

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Extreme Flight 88" Yak - Build and Fly

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2010, 09:44 AM
lokiyawl
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Extreme Flight 88

Charles,

The idea of the second Yak kit was to just have a complete set of spare parts but you make a good point that it would be better to become accustomed to a gas engine on a smaller and less expensive plane. I will take that into consideration.

If your friend was charging his Lipos through the charge port, then he was not balance charging, since that is charging right into the power leads. When you do that the charger is basically blind to what is going on with the battery since it cannot see the individual cells. Some of the older TP Pro Lites did not evn have a balance tap on them and I would not consider using these in my plane. But with the balance tap and a good charger, I would be comfortable charging my reciever Lipos while in the plane if they were hard to remove. Lipo technology has come a long way..laptops used to blow up pretty often in the not to distant past! The A123's of course are much safer though about 40% heavier I estimate.

Good idea keeping a frie extinguisher around close.

James

ORIGINAL: cjcyclesrc

James,

This is just a little food for thought. If you ultimately want to end up with a 110'' Yak w/DA-100 on pipes, You might want to consider building one of your 88's with a gas motor. That way you would get some hands on experience with a gas motor and be getting comfortable setting up and tuning your motors.

I had never seen a lipo burn until a little over a month ago. I was in Tyler flying with some friends. We were standing around talking and heard an explosion. We looked around and flames were coming out of his 50cc plane. It was sitting in the pitts on charge. Luckly there was a fire extinguisher handy and my friend was able to get the fire put out. It burned the inside of the plane pretty bad, but they got the fire put out before the fuel tank melted. He was using TP 1320 pro lites, but charging them through the switches. Needless to say he put A123's back in his new plane. The AMA Fire insurance did pay. I guess our AMA memberships are useful. I did get some pictures but I'm at my parents in Georgia and don't have them here.

Happy New Year Everyone!!!!!!!
Old 01-01-2010, 10:07 AM
lokiyawl

Frank,

Ok, so that explains the cornfusion over the numbers! Can the 5955 also be run on 7.4V? I believe I may have those on my first 74" Yak.

I Goggle Earthed your field address. You can even see the Yaks if you zoom in enough! (grin) So you are near the Western border of NJ, I have never been out that way but who knows. Our club here in Titusville is maybe a little behind the times since I am only one flying 3D and a lot of the guys had never seen a plane hover?? The field is "Moonport Modelers" http://moonportmodelers.org/default.aspx. The same was the case at the two fields I fly at in Nova Scotia, no 3D flying either when I first started flying there but now about 1/3 of the members have at least 1 3D plane.

The FG link didn't work for some reason.

Happy New Year to you and to all of the other EF modelers out there! And special thanks to Extreme Flight for all of the effort involved in bringing these amazing models to market.

James

ORIGINAL: xtraflyr

Your right it's a 7955 that I'll be using,not a 9755 haha! On my Yak they were still making the 5955's so that's what I'm using on mine ..

If you have a GPS put in, old phillipsburg rd. Belvidere NJ and that's where our field is at. If you do Google Earth you can actually see our field..

Yup my wife gave me some money towards the Edge and I have some saved up to buy a couple things. I have a couple months before the weather and our field will be good enough to fly.. My friend Lee did a build on the Edge on FG http://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/s...=49126&page=11

Have a Happy New Years since it's 2010 when I'm writing this..

Frank
Old 01-01-2010, 10:30 AM
xtraflyr
My Feedback: (11)

ORIGINAL: lokiyawl

Frank,

Ok, so that explains the cornfusion over the numbers! Can the 5955 also be run on 7.4V? I believe I may have those on my first 74'' Yak.

I Goggle Earthed your field address. You can even see the Yaks if you zoom in enough! (grin) So you are near the Western border of NJ, I have never been out that way but who knows. Our club here in Titusville is maybe a little behind the times since I am only one flying 3D and a lot of the guys had never seen a plane hover?? The field is ''Moonport Modelers'' http://moonportmodelers.org/default.aspx. The same was the case at the two fields I fly at in Nova Scotia, no 3D flying either when I first started flying there but now about 1/3 of the members have at least 1 3D plane.

The FG link didn't work for some reason.

Happy New Year to you and to all of the other EF modelers out there! And special thanks to Extreme Flight for all of the effort involved in bringing these amazing models to market.

James

Your right it's a 7955 that I'll be using,not a 9755 haha! On my Yak they were still making the 5955's so that's what I'm using on mine ..

If you have a GPS put in, old phillipsburg rd. Belvidere NJ and that's where our field is at. If you do Google Earth you can actually see our field..

Yup my wife gave me some money towards the Edge and I have some saved up to buy a couple things. I have a couple months before the weather and our field will be good enough to fly.. My friend Lee did a build on the Edge on FG http://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/s...=49126&page=11

Have a Happy New Years since it's 2010 when I'm writing this..

Frank
I actually live about 45 min. east of our field,but it's so hard to find fields around this part of Jersey you need to get what you can..
The link will work if you add FG,but the whole name of the other RC forum thats popular right now..
We also don't have to many 3D flyers. I myself arn't a 3d Guru by any stretch. I can't do harriers rolls to save my life. I also like to do some precision flying too. I don't think 5955 will work on 7.v volts,I never tried it anyways.

Frank
Old 01-01-2010, 10:33 AM
Gatorb8

James,
few comments:
You can balance charge 2S batts through charge switches. Use the signal wire for the 3rd wire and snip the signal wire to the Rx. Been doing it for years.

I run 2 Rx, 2 charge switches, and 2 1100 A123 (2S) batts in my 88. Bottom line it cost me about $20 more for total redundancy. Also, the A123 batts charge in less than 15 minutes. I get 3 flights conservatively, probably could safely get 4 but only takes 10 minutes to charge a batt at 40%. I have a small 40AH trolling batt that I put on the field with the gas. Don't need to drag the plane back to the car. I doubt you could come up with a safer / lighter set up! No regulator to fail, total redundancy, 10-15 min charge, no lipo fires, super high current batts, yada yada yada.....
Old 01-01-2010, 10:56 AM
Richard D Bahmann aka/Wrongway
My Feedback: (42)

I'm with Gator on this one....I charge my A123's on the gassers as the plane is getting broken down and put in the trailer....done....

I have two of the 58 inch profiles with similar servos.....at one point one was on a 2400 liion on regulator the other on 2300 A123.

I flew both that day, 5 flights each....servo speed and power in flight was most noticeably better on the A123, Yes Virginia, there is a difference...plane weight and size identical.. If I called for a snap on the Liion plane it would balloon out. the A123 wanted to snap to a stop on 3D rates...

I put both on charge at home at the same time...both took about 4 hundred or so mAh to refill....the A123 was done in less than 15 minutes, the Liion in 1 hour and 20..

Best bang for the buck out there.....10 year shelf life, 2000 or more cycles....30 amps continuous (1100's)(2300's are 70) no regulators to buy or go bad...

On my EF 88 I used one 2300 with Smart Fly Super switch.... routinely flew 8-10 flights with lots of reserves...

Happy New Year to all you EF'ers.

R
Old 01-01-2010, 11:13 AM
Richard D Bahmann aka/Wrongway
My Feedback: (42)

Check these out, custom extensions that go from receiver to wing socket, it has a built in mount to screw it in.....

On the wing side I will be clipping the JR plug off of the servo and soldering in the appropriate length of extension to the 3 pin plug....This way I only have one JR plug in the circuit and a plug and play to go on the wing install....(and tail)

Sorry if it is a little fuzzy, I think my camera is hung over.....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ol31550.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	123.6 KB
ID:	1346302   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq52314.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	1346303  
Old 01-01-2010, 11:54 AM
xtraflyr

We were talking about using Li-Po's not the Lith-ion. I've been using Lith ion for about 3 years no without a problem. If I went with 123s then I would have to buy a new charger. I never used Lipos for the Rx but am going to give it a try on my Edge.. At 7.4 the servos should be even more super then they would be on 6v.

I'll be using the Powersafe 9ch RX and it has it's own "soft switch"if something happens to the switch the batt. just bypass it. So I would only have one switch to go bad and it basically has the same safety as running 2 switches is what I do now with the Lith-ion. I'll also have no regs and more servo driving power then before. I can't get myself to use only one battery on the rx. I did that once saving a buck and it cost me my first EF Yak and didn't even have it a month.

I'll make some balancing connector extensions if I need to run my batteries under the cowl on the motor box...

Basically it all come down to what YOU like to use. If it doesn't work out then go a different route..

Man I can't wait for those Edges to make it to EF and them to my door !!!
Old 01-01-2010, 12:55 PM
cjcyclesrc

ORIGINAL: Richard D Bahmann aka/Wrongway

Check these out, custom extensions that go from receiver to wing socket, it has a built in mount to screw it in.....

On the wing side I will be clipping the JR plug off of the servo and soldering in the appropriate length of extension to the 3 pin plug....This way I only have one JR plug in the circuit and a plug and play to go on the wing install....(and tail)

Sorry if it is a little fuzzy, I think my camera is hung over.....
Those work great and they are rated at 10amps. Another thing I like is they plug together solid enough that you don't need a safety clip.
Old 01-01-2010, 01:01 PM
cjcyclesrc

Charles,

The idea of the second Yak kit was to just have a complete set of spare parts but you make a good point that it would be better to become accustomed to a gas engine on a smaller and less expensive plane. I will take that into consideration.

If your friend was charging his Lipos through the charge port, then he was not balance charging, since that is charging right into the power leads. When you do that the charger is basically blind to what is going on with the battery since it cannot see the individual cells. Some of the older TP Pro Lites did not evn have a balance tap on them and I would not consider using these in my plane. But with the balance tap and a good charger, I would be comfortable charging my reciever Lipos while in the plane if they were hard to remove. Lipo technology has come a long way..laptops used to blow up pretty often in the not to distant past! The A123's of course are much safer though about 40% heavier I estimate.

Good idea keeping a frie extinguisher around close.

James
I agree the Cellpro and like balance chargers are a much better way to go. I used TP prolites for RX batteries before I switched to A123's. I never had a problem with them. It does make it a lot more tempting to run them now that some servos can handle the voltage, but I still like A123's better.
Old 01-01-2010, 02:49 PM
lokiyawl

Frank,

I guess it is all relative, the people at the fields I fly at that don't fly 3D "think" I am a guru but all I have to do is to watch a Youtube video or two in order to confirm that I definitely am NOT! (grin) I have praticed hovering quite a bit and am pretty comfortable hanging my 74" right in front of me and floating it around the field. My torque rolls are sloppy and my harrier rolls are not smooth circles yet but they are coming along. The harrier roll is the hardest 3D manuver for me by the way, the sim helped me the most. Start by just using the elevator to hold altitude during your rolls, then learn to use just rudder..after you have those two down, mix them together. If you can set your ailerons (edit the model you are flying on the sim) so that full deflection gives you a manageable roll rate, this will help. The cool part is that many of the manuvers are related, so that if you can do harrier rolls, then torque rolls seem pretty easy since the inputs are related. It's the control reversals that for me take a lot of practice to get down...like flying the rudder inverted. I would like to get to the point where I could hover and harrier land my 88" in my backyard comfortably(we have about an acre cleared and it's waterfront so while the landing area is small there is actually plenty of room to fly and to make approaches) My flying field in Cape Breton is almost an hours drive so I would really like to be able to fly at my home if possible, now you can better understand one of the reasons I am planning to go electric. During the winter, the water freezes and we have a huge landing area..but it's rough on the fingers!

Have you contacted EF recently about your Edge? When are you expecting it?

James

Franks previous post:

I actually live about 45 min. east of our field,but it's so hard to find fields around this part of Jersey you need to get what you can..
The link will work if you add FG,but the whole name of the other RC forum thats popular right now..
We also don't have to many 3D flyers. I myself arn't a 3d Guru by any stretch. I can't do harriers rolls to save my life. I also like to do some precision flying too. I don't think 5955 will work on 7.v volts,I never tried it anyways.

Frank

www.njjf.org
www.njjf.freeforums.org
Old 01-01-2010, 04:20 PM
cjcyclesrc

James,

What part of Novia Scotia do you live in? My Dad and I rode motorcycles to Bar Harbor and ferried to Yarmouth then rode the cost around by Peggy's Cove then up to Meat Cove on Cape Brenton. We camped on the side of a bluff at Meat cove then Then We ferried to PEI, rode the bridge back to New Brunswick and then rode back down into Maine. That's a cool place to visit. It's neat to see all the Full service stations like we used to have here years ago.
Old 01-01-2010, 06:34 PM
Tankd

Here is a pic of the Lipo fire aftermath..

Name:	Om33385.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	1346686  
Old 01-01-2010, 07:17 PM
xtraflyr

James,
I've actually started getting real good at Harrier landings,dragging the rudder down the runway and close to the ground Hovering since I started flying my EF 48" Extra EXP. It is so super freeking stable in Harrier it makes it look easy. ZERO Wingrock and being smaller it's not so scary when it get's low and close !
I was out flying it today we had a nice 45deg.,zero wind day. It supposed to turn to crap tomorrow though,but at least I can say I flew on the first day of 2010 !

I didn't get a actual date the Edge will be here. I think that's the container that is held up in Customs I think ? They decided to take that container take all the kits out,check them all,then put then back into the container ! Don't worry I'll post a couple pictures on here,I don't want to hijack this thread.

Frank

Frank,

I guess it is all relative, the people at the fields I fly at that don't fly 3D ''think'' I am a guru but all I have to do is to watch a Youtube video or two in order to confirm that I definitely am NOT! (grin) I have praticed hovering quite a bit and am pretty comfortable hanging my 74'' right in front of me and floating it around the field. My torque rolls are sloppy and my harrier rolls are not smooth circles yet but they are coming along. The harrier roll is the hardest 3D manuver for me by the way, the sim helped me the most. Start by just using the elevator to hold altitude during your rolls, then learn to use just rudder..after you have those two down, mix them together. If you can set your ailerons (edit the model you are flying on the sim) so that full deflection gives you a manageable roll rate, this will help. The cool part is that many of the manuvers are related, so that if you can do harrier rolls, then torque rolls seem pretty easy since the inputs are related. It's the control reversals that for me take a lot of practice to get down...like flying the rudder inverted. I would like to get to the point where I could hover and harrier land my 88'' in my backyard comfortably(we have about an acre cleared and it's waterfront so while the landing area is small there is actually plenty of room to fly and to make approaches) My flying field in Cape Breton is almost an hours drive so I would really like to be able to fly at my home if possible, now you can better understand one of the reasons I am planning to go electric. During the winter, the water freezes and we have a huge landing area..but it's rough on the fingers!

Have you contacted EF recently about your Edge? When are you expecting it?

James

Franks previous post:

Frank

www.njjf.org
www.njjf.freeforums.org
Old 01-01-2010, 07:35 PM
lokiyawl

Charles,

We live in Saint Peters, which is on the South end of the island between Port Hawksbury and Sydney. Our property fronts on the Bras D'Or Lakes which is a great place for sailing during the season. A motorcycle ride down the Cabot trail would be a blast, you must have really enjoyed that, we have made the trip by car but that is not quite the same. But yes, Nova Scotia is a lot like the US was maybe 50 years ago. The first time I went to fill my car up there, I thought that the credit card machine was broken since I could not get it to work so I asked the attendant. She asked me if I had gotten my gas yet....you have to get your gas first everywhere I have been there. Nova Scotia is a lot warmer than Maine in the winter but it does have a real winter compared to Florida! (grin) We have done a lot of sailing in Maine, the coastline is really beautiful. If you should make it up to Nova Scotia way again, shoot me an email and maybe we can hook up for some flying.

James

ORIGINAL: cjcyclesrc

James,

What part of Novia Scotia do you live in? My Dad and I rode motorcycles to Bar Harbor and ferried to Yarmouth then rode the cost around by Peggy's Cove then up to Meat Cove on Cape Brenton. We camped on the side of a bluff at Meat cove then Then We ferried to PEI, rode the bridge back to New Brunswick and then rode back down into Maine. That's a cool place to visit. It's neat to see all the Full service stations like we used to have here years ago.
Old 01-01-2010, 07:45 PM
lokiyawl

Frank,

I was actually considering getting the EF 48" Extra, I really like their 4S setup so maybe that would make a good combo. Wing rock is certainly the nemisis for low altitude harriers! What can I expect on my 88" for wing rock? I have a PA Addiction that I can tail drag and fly it all over inches off the ground in a harrier but I have only actually harrier landed my 74" once so far. I have watched the video of the 110" being harrier landed in a driveway with hedges on both sides so I think that there is hope... Glad to hear that you got in some good flying on day one of 2010. It was warmer here but raining and blowing hard but yesterday and the day before were spectacular for flying and we took full advantage of it!

My 88" Yaks should arrive on Monday! Is the Edge airframe lighter than the Yak? With the slimmer fuselage it seems like it should be...

James

[quote]ORIGINAL: xtraflyr

James,
I've actually started getting real good at Harrier landings,dragging the rudder down the runway and close to the ground Hovering since I started flying my EF 48'' Extra EXP. It is so super freeking stable in Harrier it makes it look easy. ZERO Wingrock and being smaller it's not so scary when it get's low and close !
I was out flying it today we had a nice 45deg.,zero wind day. It supposed to turn to crap tomorrow though,but at least I can say I flew on the first day of 2010 !

I didn't get a actual date the Edge will be here. I think that's the container that is held up in Customs I think ? They decided to take that container take all the kits out,check them all,then put then back into the container ! Don't worry I'll post a couple pictures on here,I don't want to hijack this thread.

Frank

[
Old 01-01-2010, 08:04 PM
xtraflyr

James,
I think their going to weigh about the same. I"m taking the DA50 and the KS 1060 Tuned Pipe out of the Yak for now,until I can get a new motor and a CF Tuned Pipe for the Edge. I'll probably go for another DA,I know guys love the DLE55,but I can't get myself to buy one(Yet),and I don't know why?

Wingrock isn't bad at all... Some guys will fly one and it will rock,have another guy fly the same Yak and there will be no rock at all. I notice with mine,it takes a little aileron and just a touch of rudder to keep the wingrock to a minimum! Once you catch up to the wingrock it'll stay really steady.But I can't get it as perfect as the EXP..The EXP just doesn't rock at all.. It's easier for me to do a split s in 3d rates at the end of the field and bring it down in a elevator,then into a Harrier down the runway..

Make sure you have someone at your house for that dual Yak pkg. your waiting for !!

Frank
Old 01-01-2010, 08:30 PM
cjcyclesrc

Charles,

We live in Saint Peters, which is on the South end of the island between Port Hawksbury and Sydney. Our property fronts on the Bras D'Or Lakes which is a great place for sailing during the season. A motorcycle ride down the Cabot trail would be a blast, you must have really enjoyed that, we have made the trip by car but that is not quite the same. But yes, Nova Scotia is a lot like the US was maybe 50 years ago. The first time I went to fill my car up there, I thought that the credit card machine was broken since I could not get it to work so I asked the attendant. She asked me if I had gotten my gas yet....you have to get your gas first everywhere I have been there. Nova Scotia is a lot warmer than Maine in the winter but it does have a real winter compared to Florida! (grin) We have done a lot of sailing in Maine, the coastline is really beautiful. If you should make it up to Nova Scotia way again, shoot me an email and maybe we can hook up for some flying.

James
I believe this picture was taken at Port Hawksbury. Yes it was a nice ride around the Cabot trail. I liked where the road run along the Shoreline Cliffs. The wind was crazy camping at meat cove. The wind blew all night. We had to tie off the top of our tents to the table to keep it from folding up. The wind pulled a couple of the tent stakes out during the night which then started beating me over the head. I took the bags off my bike and put all my riding gear in the tent so it wouldn't blow off the cliff. I would have to say that night was probably one of the most memorable i've ever spent in a tent. I'll have to look you up for sure if I get back up to N.S.

Name:	Qo40583.jpg
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	1346822   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn40531.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	26.7 KB
ID:	1346823   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hm24358.jpg
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	1346824  
Old 01-01-2010, 08:37 PM
cjcyclesrc

ORIGINAL: Tankd

Here is a pic of the Lipo fire aftermath..
Hey John,

Thanks for posting the picture. I'm glad to see you got in here and posted. I'm looking forward to seeing your 88" Extra, Yak, and Edge all sitting out on the flight line.
Old 01-01-2010, 08:47 PM
lokiyawl

Frank,

So you are feeding in aileron and a bit of rudder to counteract the wing rock. I assume that both are in the same direction as in a coordinated turn? With my 74" I have found that it is solid at high harrier angles and low ones but there is a spot in between where there is some rocking but not bad. Maybe the 88" will be similar? I was expecting there to be some wing rock in the 88" but good to hear that really good pilots are able to overcome it.. hopefully with enough practice I can get there to. It seems to me that on larger planes the rock is slower which gives the pilot more time to counter. With my indoor planes I have found that adding plates to the wing tips tends to reduce the rocking but those just would not look right on my Yak!

I am going to be busy hauling a customers 54' boat on Monday AM so hopefully the trucker does not show up at that time... I will report in and maybe upload a couple photos when they do get here!

I just might have to get me an EXP. I already bought a 4S setup from EF that I was going to put into a Sebart 30 size Katana, I need a smaller plane to pratice with while batteries are charging for the 88". (grin) The videos of Chris flying the EXP are pretty amazing!

James

James,
I think their going to weigh about the same. I''m taking the DA50 and the KS 1060 Tuned Pipe out of the Yak for now,until I can get a new motor and a CF Tuned Pipe for the Edge. I'll probably go for another DA,I know guys love the DLE55,but I can't get myself to buy one(Yet),and I don't know why?

Wingrock isn't bad at all... Some guys will fly one and it will rock,have another guy fly the same Yak and there will be no rock at all. I notice with mine,it takes a little aileron and just a touch of rudder to keep the wingrock to a minimum! Once you catch up to the wingrock it'll stay really steady.But I can't get it as perfect as the EXP..The EXP just doesn't rock at all.. It's easier for me to do a split s in 3d rates at the end of the field and bring it down in a elevator,then into a Harrier down the runway..

Make sure you have someone at your house for that dual Yak pkg. your waiting for !!

Frank
Old 01-01-2010, 09:03 PM
lokiyawl

Charles,

The Cape Breton Highlands are known for having plenty of wind..hence the reason the ridge lines are now being populated with wind generators 3-400' tall. There are only 92K residents on the entire island so it is pretty much a wilderness.

Photo 1 was taken at the "Rusty Anchor" on a NW stretch of the Cabot Trail.
Photo 2 is our sailboat anchored on the Bras D'Or lakes in Whycocomagh
Photo 3 is me and my 74" Yak at the Cape Breton Modelers field which is almost to Sydney. The strip is actually paved!

James

Name:	Ca82005.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	1346843   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gc91289.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	1346844   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bg91941.jpg
Size:	171.5 KB
ID:	1346845  
Old 01-01-2010, 10:45 PM
xtraflyr

James,

I'm trying to think about what I do,but I'm so use to doing it without thinking I'm not sure!! I think I hold a little Right rudder to keep it going straight,the ail. I'm not to sure about,but when it does wing rock once you catch it, it smooths right out... You also need to find the sweet spot with the Angle of Attack,usually the higher you keep the nose the less rock you get.. Maybe thats why the EXP doesn't rock at all because of the SFG's? I've never flown it without them so I don't know.
Here's a couple pics of the EXP from today.

PS anyone seen Joe Airport lately? I haven't see him comment on here in the last couple of days !! I hope everything is OK !!

Frank..

Name:	Fd92916.jpg
Size:	389.2 KB
ID:	1346928   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je10054.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	191.7 KB
ID:	1346929   Click image for larger version

Name:	Va72928.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	327.8 KB
ID:	1346930   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ys49512.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	238.4 KB
ID:	1346931  
Old 01-01-2010, 10:56 PM
Gatorb8

James,
Choy Lee?
Old 01-01-2010, 11:14 PM
lokiyawl

Gator,

I think that maybe you meant "Cheoy Lee" and yes I used to own one but the boat in the photo is an S&S Loki Yawl, 1953.

Could I get some input on how to control the direction while doing rollers? I tend to try to time the elevator input so that I can pull or push while the plane is on edge and can get the plane to turnl to the left or the right while rolling but it's certainly not smooth. I am assuming that the gurus probably use a mix of rudder and elevator to control direction during rollers but it would be nice to know since I am just trying to learn this on my own. Also, if there are any common mixes needed on the 88" Yak to get it to fly straight please let me know. My 74" seems close enough that I have not bothered to add any mixes as of yet but I might be missing something.

Thanks,

James

ORIGINAL: Gatorb8

James,
Choy Lee?
Old 01-01-2010, 11:26 PM
Gatorb8

Gator,

I think that maybe you meant ''Cheoy Lee'' and yes I used to own one but the boat in the photo is an S&S Loki Yawl, 1953.

Could I get some input on how to control the direction while doing rollers? I tend to try to time the elevator input so that I can pull or push while the plane is on edge and can get the plane to turnl to the left or the right while rolling but it's certainly not smooth. I am assuming that the gurus probably use a mix of rudder and elevator to control direction during rollers but it would be nice to know since I am just trying to learn this on my own. Also, if there are any common mixes needed on the 88'' Yak to get it to fly straight please let me know. My 74'' seems close enough that I have not bothered to add any mixes as of yet but I might be missing something.

Thanks,

James

ORIGINAL: Gatorb8

James,
Choy Lee?
Nice!
Looks very similar to a friends Cheoy Lee
Old 01-01-2010, 11:29 PM
lokiyawl

Frank,

Thanks for posting the EXP pics. you are hard core to be out flying in the snow! Hopefully the wind was really light so your fingers didn't freeze. I went back and watched all of the EXP videos on the EF site... I guess I am going to have to order a Red and White one. (grin) I wonder if it will balance ok with the 900 Torque, that is the one I bought for the Sukhoi. I like the idea of learning a lot of my manuvers on a smaller plane like the EXP and the reality is that the smaller plane can be flown almost anywhere so it tends to get flown a lot more.

Thanks for trying to tell me how you stop the wing rock on your 88".. it's funny how we get to the point where we don't actually know what our thumbs are doing sometimes.. I don't know for sure, but the wing rock is probably caused by a form of vortex shedding which is what makes a sign vibrate in the wind. End plates can alter the wing tip vorticies and make the air think that the wingspan is greater than it actually is. The frequency of the wing rock seems to be constant for a specific airplane so I guess in theory that given enough on that plane that the pilot will develop skills to dampen it out. One of the reasons I enjoy 3D flying so much is that we are in effect getting an airplane to do stuff that it was never meant to do. I find that it sometimes messes up my timing to change planes too often, I think that it is easier to learn by flying fewer planes for myself at least.

James

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.