Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Extreme Flight 88" Yak - Build and Fly

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Extreme Flight 88" Yak - Build and Fly

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2010, 11:34 PM
Gatorb8

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Extreme Flight 88

ORIGINAL: lokiyawl

Gator,

I think that maybe you meant ''Cheoy Lee'' and yes I used to own one but the boat in the photo is an S&S Loki Yawl, 1953.

Could I get some input on how to control the direction while doing rollers? I tend to try to time the elevator input so that I can pull or push while the plane is on edge and can get the plane to turnl to the left or the right while rolling but it's certainly not smooth. I am assuming that the gurus probably use a mix of rudder and elevator to control direction during rollers but it would be nice to know since I am just trying to learn this on my own. Also, if there are any common mixes needed on the 88'' Yak to get it to fly straight please let me know. My 74'' seems close enough that I have not bothered to add any mixes as of yet but I might be missing something.

Thanks,

James

ORIGINAL: Gatorb8

James,
Choy Lee?
You're not gonna believe this but here goes. On 3D rates on my 88 Yak 85cc, I go to half throttle, ailerons all the way to the left, elevator all the way up, it will high speed rolling harrier around in circles, control the altitude with throttle only! Even I can't figure out how it does it!

I can't do it by wiggling the sticks.
Old 01-01-2010, 11:53 PM
lokiyawl
My Feedback: (10)

Gator,

I think that maybe you meant ''Cheoy Lee'' and yes I used to own one but the boat in the photo is an S&S Loki Yawl, 1953.

Could I get some input on how to control the direction while doing rollers? I tend to try to time the elevator input so that I can pull or push while the plane is on edge and can get the plane to turnl to the left or the right while rolling but it's certainly not smooth. I am assuming that the gurus probably use a mix of rudder and elevator to control direction during rollers but it would be nice to know since I am just trying to learn this on my own. Also, if there are any common mixes needed on the 88'' Yak to get it to fly straight please let me know. My 74'' seems close enough that I have not bothered to add any mixes as of yet but I might be missing something.

Thanks,

James

James,
Choy Lee?
You're not gonna believe this but here goes. On 3D rates on my 88 Yak 85cc, I go to half throttle, ailerons all the way to the left, elevator all the way up, it will high speed rolling harrier around in circles, control the altitude with throttle only! Even I can't figure out how it does it!

I can't do it by wiggling the sticks.
Gator,

I must say that you have me on that one! I am assuming that you must be adding power to bring the nose up but that doesn't explain why any positive pitch up while right side up would nout be cancelled while upside down..unless you are modulating the throttle? One of life's little mysteries but it would be interesting to see a video of your plane doing that!

James
Old 01-01-2010, 11:59 PM
Gatorb8

I need to get a video camera. My last attempt was a complete disaster, I took all the crap back to Best Buy and left. Maybe I'll try again in a few months.

FX3D is in February, I'll be there!
Old 01-02-2010, 12:34 AM
lokiyawl

I need to get a video camera. My last attempt was a complete disaster, I took all the crap back to Best Buy and left. Maybe I'll try again in a few months.

Gator,

I have never been to a big RC event, sounds like fun! Feb. 24-28 in Jacksonville Fla.... I just might have to hook up the trailer and head up that way for a few days.. Do you think that I can squeeze my 88" Yak into this trailer ok??

James

James
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr49268.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	1347017  
Old 01-02-2010, 12:41 PM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: xtraflyr

PS anyone seen Joe Airport lately? I haven't see him comment on here in the last couple of days !! I hope everything is OK !!

Frank..
Hey Frank. Thanks for thinking about me! I'm fine. Just hanging out with my girlfriend on an 11 day holiday/vacation from work. Also I don't have any projects this winter so that kind of makes me post a little less. Weather has been really cold and snow is on the field so I'm kind of in hibernation mode. I'm still here reading though. I read that you are getting an Edge. I'll be following your progress on that one for sure.

We fly at a local golf dome here but we are not flying over the holidays. Next one is next weekend. I have a new Shock flyer that I built for that. That is some fun flying,

HAPPY NEW YEAR !!!!
Old 01-02-2010, 12:47 PM
lokiyawl

ORIGINAL: JoeAirPort
Hi Joe,

Nice to hear from you again. Glad to hear that you are doing some indoor flying, I really enjoy the indoor stuff a lot and think that I learn faster with a light plane up close in a controlled enviornment. I am putting a shopping list together for my 88" Yak. I have found the 7955's at Servocity for $115 each, anyone know of a better price somewhere? I am assuming that one of these is plenty for the rudder on the 88" but if not please let me know.

James

ORIGINAL: xtraflyr

PS anyone seen Joe Airport lately? I haven't see him comment on here in the last couple of days !! I hope everything is OK !!

Frank..
Hey Frank. Thanks for thinking about me! I'm fine. Just hanging out with my girlfriend on an 11 day holiday/vacation from work. Also I don't have any projects this winter so that kind of makes me post a little less. Weather has been really cold and snow is on the field so I'm kind of in hibernation mode. I'm still here reading though. I read that you are getting an Edge. I'll be following your progress on that one for sure.

We fly at a local golf dome here but we are not flying over the holidays. Next one is next weekend. I have a new Shock flyer that I built for that. That is some fun flying,

HAPPY NEW YEAR !!!!
Old 01-02-2010, 01:13 PM
cjcyclesrc

Chief has them for $86.50.

http://www.chiefaircraft.com/rcmsec/...HS-7955TG.html

Nice Trailer. Featherlite makes some nice trailers.
Old 01-02-2010, 02:46 PM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah Extreme Flight has them for about the same price too. They are plenty for an 88" Yak rudder.

I'd try to get as much at one place as possible. It saves shipping costs. Extreme Flight has a lot of stuff. Chief does too. They both carry SWB arms if you need them. You can check to see what they all have so you can minimize shipping costs.
Old 01-02-2010, 05:05 PM
xtraflyr
My Feedback: (11)

I asked Curtis about 7955's and he told me they don't carry them.. That's OK though,It's cold and windy now,we got lucky with the 49deg. weather yesterday,so I have some time to save up for the stuff I need .. I ordered a few things and got 1 7955 from my LHS for $95.00. I'll have to check to see if Chief's price includes shipping..The price from the LHS and theirs might be close enough just to give my LHS the business.. I might get the arms from EF though..

Joe glad to hear everything is good !!

Frank
Old 01-02-2010, 10:28 PM
Gatorb8

Gator,

I have never been to a big RC event, sounds like fun! Feb. 24-28 in Jacksonville Fla.... I just might have to hook up the trailer and head up that way for a few days.. Do you think that I can squeeze my 88'' Yak into this trailer ok??

James

James
Stuff everything you got into that trailer and come on up! It is a way laid back event with a bunch of great guys. Don't forget a BBQ and camp on site. Nite flying under the lights is a blast for the slabs or little electrics. I have a lighted plane that will blow folks away this year! Been testing and ready to go prime time! That is, if I don't get thrown in jail for a "baloon boy" UFO stunt by then......
Old 01-02-2010, 10:32 PM
lokiyawl

Charles,

Wow, thanks for the servo link, I cannot believe how good their pricing is. You just saved me some hard earned $$..thanks again!

I posted the photo of my Featherlite trailer sort of as a joke, it's not really meant to be my plane trailer..but could do in a pinch. (grin)

James

ORIGINAL: cjcyclesrc

Old 01-02-2010, 10:58 PM
cjcyclesrc

Charles,

Wow, thanks for the servo link, I cannot believe how good their pricing is. You just saved me some hard earned $$..thanks again!

I posted the photo of my Featherlite trailer sort of as a joke, it's not really meant to be my plane trailer..but could do in a pinch. (grin)

James

ORIGINAL: cjcyclesrc

You're welcome.

How many 88" Yaks would fit in this trailer. We had it set up to haul 10 motorcycles.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk25012.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	1347899   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt61547.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	1347900  
Old 01-02-2010, 11:01 PM
lokiyawl

Charles,

" How many 88" Yaks would fit in this trailer. We had it set up to haul 10 motorcycles."

I think that the correct answer has to be "not enough!"

A really nice trailer!

James
Old 01-03-2010, 08:50 AM
diamondave
My Feedback: (29)

hey guys i took a guess at home depot one day and bought some yellow electrical tape to try it on my canopy where it goes under the cowl, i had blenderum tape but that just peeled and flaked, anyway the yellow tape matches the monakote almost exactly, id even use it as a patch if i had to, and i told jeff about it and he gamble on the red electical tape from home depot, guess what, matches his red exactly too, so if anyone has the red/white or the black/yellow you can get some tape from hd that will be perfect for places like under the cowl area......
Old 01-03-2010, 09:22 AM
lokiyawl

Dave,

Hey thanks for the tip, I will pick up a roll of the Yellow for my new Yaks. I don't think that the chafe problem will be as bad on my electrics but I notice that there is some paint missing from the canopy on my 74" Yak which has hundreds of flights on it.

James

ORIGINAL: diamondave

hey guys i took a guess at home depot one day and bought some yellow electrical tape to try it on my canopy where it goes under the cowl, i had blenderum tape but that just peeled and flaked, anyway the yellow tape matches the monakote almost exactly, id even use it as a patch if i had to, and i told jeff about it and he gamble on the red electical tape from home depot, guess what, matches his red exactly too, so if anyone has the red/white or the black/yellow you can get some tape from hd that will be perfect for places like under the cowl area......
Old 01-03-2010, 09:30 AM
lokiyawl

Gator,

That is sounding like just too much fun! I am now wishing that I had brought my indoor planes from NS, they would have been a blast to fly under the lights. I do have a PA Addiction that is light wing loading, so could bring that. We also left all of our camping gear in NS but we could sure arrange someting in the trailer anyway. I am not 100% sure yet that we can make it but we will make a serious effort to do so. It would be great if I could get my 88" flying before then. The original plan was to build it up North since we are working 7 days/week..but maybe I can find enough time in the evenings.. I am now trying to get everything ordered that is needed to build my 88". The biggest lead time will be the batteries since they will be coming in from overseas so I need to pin down the capacity and voltage I want.

Looking forward to meeting you in Feb.! Will the Extreme Flight group be there too?

James
[

[/quote]

Gator,

I have never been to a big RC event, sounds like fun! Feb. 24-28 in Jacksonville Fla.... I just might have to hook up the trailer and head up that way for a few days.. Do you think that I can squeeze my 88'' Yak into this trailer ok??

James

James
[/quote]
Stuff everything you got into that trailer and come on up! It is a way laid back event with a bunch of great guys. Don't forget a BBQ and camp on site. Nite flying under the lights is a blast for the slabs or little electrics. I have a lighted plane that will blow folks away this year! Been testing and ready to go prime time! That is, if I don't get thrown in jail for a ''baloon boy'' UFO stunt by then......
[/quote]
Old 01-03-2010, 09:58 AM
Gatorb8

James,
EF was there last year and contributed some incredible raffle prizes! They are great folks!!! Here's the thread:
http://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=47744

I think you have to insert rcunivers* in the ****, some kind of blocker is going on......forum wars?
Old 01-03-2010, 10:59 AM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

they both block each other....

it is at f l y i n g g i a n ts.com

remove the spaces....
Old 01-03-2010, 11:18 AM
flygilmore

Don't know about yours but mine is covered in Ultracote.....not Monokote. Bright Yellow!
Old 01-03-2010, 11:41 AM
Gatorb8

ORIGINAL: exeter_acres

remove the spaces....
oops, got my wires crossed!
thanks Curtis!
Old 01-03-2010, 11:54 AM
lokiyawl

Extreme Flight,

Thanks for the clarification on the links.

I am still working on my electric setup for the 88" Yak. I am trying to lighten the plane where possible to allow more room for batteries while keeping the weight under 19 lbs. Here are the steps I have taken so far:

1. Kavan tires
2. Graph Tech carbon gear
3. Titanium axles

I read that Benoit used a single servo on his elevator to save weight and to help balance the plane with the lighte Plettenberg Terminator motor. Can you comment on the advisability of using a single 7955 on the elevator or could maybe two lighter servos be used there?

Can you suggest other measures to save some weight with the electric conversion of this plane?

James

remove the spaces....
Old 01-03-2010, 12:14 PM
diamondave

ORIGINAL: flygilmore

Don't know about yours but mine is covered in Ultracote.....not Monokote. Bright Yellow!
well whatever you want to call it the yellow electrical tape from hd is a great match
Old 01-03-2010, 06:58 PM
Gatorb8

Extreme Flight,

Thanks for the clarification on the links.

I am still working on my electric setup for the 88'' Yak. I am trying to lighten the plane where possible to allow more room for batteries while keeping the weight under 19 lbs. Here are the steps I have taken so far:

1. Kavan tires
2. Graph Tech carbon gear
3. Titanium axles

I read that Benoit used a single servo on his elevator to save weight and to help balance the plane with the lighte Plettenberg Terminator motor. Can you comment on the advisability of using a single 7955 on the elevator or could maybe two lighter servos be used there?

Can you suggest other measures to save some weight with the electric conversion of this plane?

James

remove the spaces....
the elevator is the most critical control surface, I would stick with 2! my 2 cents
Old 01-03-2010, 07:58 PM
lokiyawl

Gator,

You know as much as I would like to save some weight and to also help balance my Yak, I have to agree with you on this. I had a Hitec 5985 fail on my 74". It failed while I was flying and I couldn't figure out why the plane was dropping a wing when I pulled into a hover until I pulled up close and could see that one elevator was not working! I was able to land normally with only one side working. I went ahead today and ordered 5 HS 7955's.. I will just have to try and save some weight somewhere else! It looks like depending on the batteries I end up using that the all up ready to fly weight will be between 18.5 and 19.3 lbs. and that is with two elevator servos.

James

" the elevator is the most critical control surface, I would stick with 2! my 2 cents

Phucifino 3D "

Old 01-03-2010, 08:05 PM
diamondave

mine was around 19lbs with a zdz60 and was still an amazingly floatly planely

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.