Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Lanier 94" Yak help

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2008, 03:42 PM
aaxiss

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Lanier 94" Yak help

I couldn't find a 32oz tank that would fit under the wind tube.... I like to fly 15-18 mins so I don't want to go with anything smaller than a 32
Old 07-05-2008, 03:42 PM
2robinhood

I have a spinner being cut for my prop size.
As soon as it comes I will be out for some more flights and I'll be taking some more videos.

Old 07-05-2008, 07:35 PM
Mitsu1
My Feedback: (13)

My CG is about 7 3/8 or maybe 7 1/2" measured from leading edge of wing, as the manual instructs. I saw the video of BosshossV8's maiden, but the video stopped before the landing. Looked to fly fine at whatever the CG is. If it's 8 1/2 inches back .. that's crazy. .. but if it works , it works.
Old 07-05-2008, 11:24 PM
aaxiss

From what I can tell from measuring and looking the CG is about centered on the wing tube and the if you follow that line out to the wing tip it ends up being right at the edge of the cutout for the counterbalance. easy to balance. I did my 50 cc plane like that and it came out great.

I will set mine up so it just balances with a full tank and that will allow me to land light in the tail as I like for the good 3 pointers with minimal roll out
Old 07-06-2008, 12:12 AM
Doppelganger
My Feedback: (1)

I always tie string to my wing tubes on both sides, then place the wings on and pick up the plane by the srting. I check the balance dry and arrange batteries ect untill the plane balances on the tube. After the maiden, I tweak the balance accordingly. This method has yet to fail me.

Steve
Old 07-06-2008, 12:17 AM
aaxiss

sounds like a great idea, Unfortunately I'm in a wheelchair and can't get very close to the plane with the wings on. I have to have someone help me most of the time and the wingtip method is the easiest way when I'm on one side and have a mechanically challenged person helping me. It's worked ok so far heh
Old 07-06-2008, 12:20 AM
aaxiss

BTW steve , were you the one that had asked for pictures of the pocketed stab servos I did?, I decided I didn't like the way they were aligned and removed them then ground the mounts and epoxy out with a carbide shaper bit. Cleaned up nicely. I ended up putting them in the stabs anyway but like mitsu1 has his. I like the geometry better.
Old 07-06-2008, 02:34 AM
Doppelganger

ORIGINAL: aaxiss

BTW steve , were you the one that had asked for pictures of the pocketed stab servos I did?, I decided I didn't like the way they were aligned and removed them then ground the mounts and epoxy out with a carbide shaper bit. Cleaned up nicely. I ended up putting them in the stabs anyway but like mitsu1 has his. I like the geometry better.
Yes, I was the one that asked for the pics. I'm going to continue building the Yak monday ( wife doesn't know about the plane. Have to go to friends house to build. She may ask questions.) [X(]

I almost came clean today and told her about the planes. But then realized I couldn't fly with two broken arms and a severed spleen. Some info should never be volunteered!

Steve
Old 07-06-2008, 03:51 PM
2robinhood

ORIGINAL: Doppelganger

I almost came clean today and told her about the planes. But then realized I couldn't fly with two broken arms and a severed spleen. Some info should never be volunteered!

Steve
Planes ????????????? There's more then one she doesn't know about?

I can't hide the planes, but engines and radio gear she has no idea, that all looks the same to her.
Old 07-06-2008, 08:23 PM
Doppelganger

ORIGINAL: 2robinhood

ORIGINAL: Doppelganger

Steve
Planes ????????????? There's more then one she doesn't know about?

I can't hide the planes, but engines and radio gear she has no idea, that all looks the same to her.
Two, and one on the way. Plus, I spoke with a friend at the field today that said he'd give me a good deal on a 2.6 Comp Arf Extra300 ( Schulman scheme.) The other two planes are kept at my buds house. Actually, I told her about one of the the planes today, because twice she mentioned planes at Gary's.

Steve
Old 07-06-2008, 09:11 PM
2robinhood

You can keep the 2.6 Comp Extra 300 at my house.
I won't tell her about it.
Old 07-07-2008, 04:57 AM
Doppelganger

ORIGINAL: 2robinhood

You can keep the 2.6 Comp Extra 300 at my house.
I won't tell her about it.
Thats very sporty of you. But if she finds out you're involved, your spleen could be next. Gary knew the danger. I'll have to warn him.[X(]

Steve
Old 07-07-2008, 11:58 AM
azsprint27
My Feedback: (7)

Hi, I'm in the process of balancing my Yak but I'm a little confused-cocerned about the location of the balance point. The manual for the 94" Yak says to balance it at 6 7/8 - 7 1/4 in. A couple of the guys in this thread have said it needs to be back further. I went to the Yak 87" manuel and it also says 6 7/8 - 7 1/4 in. In fact, the two manuals are seem to mostly apply to the 87" ,Yak. Need help here. Thanks
Old 07-07-2008, 01:22 PM
aaxiss

I'd Balance it on the center of the wing tube and fly it and then make changes to suite your flying style and preferences
Old 07-07-2008, 04:03 PM
Doppelganger

ORIGINAL: aaxiss

I'd Balance it on the center of the wing tube and fly it and then make changes to suite your flying style and preferences
What he ^^ said.

Steve
Old 07-07-2008, 05:42 PM
Mitsu1

ORIGINAL: azsprint27

Hi, I'm in the process of balancing my Yak but I'm a little confused-cocerned about the location of the balance point. The manual for the 94" Yak says to balance it at 6 7/8 - 7 1/4 in. A couple of the guys in this thread have said it needs to be back further. I went to the Yak 87" manuel and it also says 6 7/8 - 7 1/4 in. In fact, the two manuals are seem to mostly apply to the 87" ,Yak. Need help here. Thanks
Hey that's probably a key discovery you have there. The 87" Yak came out about a year before the 94" and much of the info and pictures of the 94" manual are lifted straaight from the 87" manual. So, if the 87" has 7 1/4" as the rearward CG ... you can be guaranteed that the range for the 94" is somewhere rearward of that mark. The 94" has a wider wing chord than the 87". The 87" has 1468 sq. inches of wing area and the 94" has 1729 inches of wing area. Dang .... I gotta re-balance my model and move the batteries back.[:@]
Old 07-07-2008, 06:10 PM
azsprint27
My Feedback: (7)

Well, that manual thing with the balance got me thinking. The 97" manual lists the distance between the firewall and the back of the spinner plate as 7 1'/2 in. on page 14, but it lists it at 6 1/4" on page 15. I guess ya just have to be carefull and use yoiur head when balancing.
Old 07-07-2008, 09:02 PM
Mitsu1

Well, I could probably mathematically figure out the exact balance point of the 94" based on the information from the 87". What I do know without any doubt though ... is that if the rearward balance point of the smaller Yak is 7 1/4" measured from the leading edge, .... its certainly not going to be the same 7 1/4" for a version of that same model that has been blown up to a larger size. I now am personally comfortable with a 7.75 -8" rearward balance point.
Old 07-07-2008, 09:09 PM
Mitsu1

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong. I figured the 94" to have a 7% larger span than the 87" version. If I assume that the rest of the model is a proportionate 7% larger, then ... the 7 1/4" rearward balance point could/should .... have 7% added to that figure. With that I come up with 7.79" from leading egde .. or simpler, .. just a little more than 7 3/4" as opposed to the smaller 87" plane's 7 1/4 rearward CG.
Old 07-08-2008, 12:01 AM
Doppelganger

Like I posted earlier, and so did aaxis, It really isn't complicated. So why complicate it? The plane will fly if balanced on the tube. There is no "magic" number, for the simple fact that people have different preferences and flying styles. Balance on the tube and work from there. It really is that simple guys.

Steve
Old 07-08-2008, 06:13 AM
Bosshossv8
My Feedback: (10)

Mine is currently balanced on the rear edge of the tube. It still needed up elevator trim, just a few clicks. It needs a slight push during inverted , also.

Balanced right on the tube it be well within your trim limits for maiden, don't be suprised you have to stab at the elevator trim right after takeoff.

I will be going a little farther back when the motor is broke in and smooth. The numbers in the manual freaked me out , also.

Anythng forward of the tube may cause you to not have enough trim, be careful.....

I am putting , squirting a lot of gas through my DA-85, hoping to get through the break in soon. I can putt-putt this baby around like a parkie....
Old 07-09-2008, 08:59 PM
bblizzard

hi,

for all you folks wondering about this plane w a diffrent engine combo. i have one with a brison 5.8 95cc. wieght is 25 lbs w/ smoke dont think 21 or even 22 is possible with any engine i say this because i didn't add any wieght to the plane and it balanced perfect. i'am only using one reciver and no matchboxes (i have a servo programmer) plane flies great totaly unlimited with a mejzlick 26x10 it turns 6600 on the ground. it hovers at 1/3 throttle and will run out of a hover, it has excellent vertical and will do vertical snaps! guys for the money i got in this plane i should whare a mask $350 airframe, $350 motor off of rcu $100 smoke system 649 jr reciver (all ready had) 8411's on all tail surfaces (all ready had) and hitec 5645's on wings $200 and about another $500 for everything else spinner,prop, batt's, switches, muff etc.

best plane i ever had for the money! and you don't need to spend 800 to a 1000 bucks on a 3w or da to fly it! the brison is super reliable and strong, only turns that 26x10 mejzlick 300 rpm less than my da-100 on my ultimate. don't get me wrong i love da's but for the money that brison is unbeatable! anyway there's my 2 cents! hope this helps somebody.

brad
Old 07-09-2008, 09:56 PM
Doppelganger

ORIGINAL: bblizzard

hi,

for all you folks wondering about this plane w a diffrent engine combo. i have one with a brison 5.8 95cc. wieght is 25 lbs w/ smoke dont think 21 or even 22 is possible with any engine i say this because i didn't add any wieght to the plane and it balanced perfect. i'am only using one reciver and no matchboxes (i have a servo programmer) plane flies great totaly unlimited with a mejzlick 26x10 it turns 6600 on the ground. it hovers at 1/3 throttle and will run out of a hover, it has excellent vertical and will do vertical snaps! guys for the money i got in this plane i should whare a mask $350 airframe, $350 motor off of rcu $100 smoke system 649 jr reciver (all ready had) 8411's on all tail surfaces (all ready had) and hitec 5645's on wings $200 and about another $500 for everything else spinner,prop, batt's, switches, muff etc.

best plane i ever had for the money! and you don't need to spend 800 to a 1000 bucks on a 3w or da to fly it! the brison is super reliable and strong, only turns that 26x10 mejzlick 300 rpm less than my da-100 on my ultimate. don't get me wrong i love da's but for the money that brison is unbeatable! anyway there's my 2 cents! hope this helps somebody.

brad
That was some really great info. Thanks for sharing.

Steve
Old 07-09-2008, 11:15 PM
Mitsu1

Good to hear everyone that has flown it says its such a great flyer. Its a Goldberg design, so I kinda felt it would be a good one. What I don't understand at all ... is why Great Planes would spend $3 Million (Very Reliable Info)... to buy Lanier/Goldberg out .. then just discontinue all the good planes they aquired. Just makes no sense! Why not just change the name on the Box to Goldberg or Great planes ... and continue to sell these great designs. Sure there was some crap in the deal that deserved to die ... but this plane was not one of them. This plane deserves to exist .. and have replacement parts available. What a shame .. Great Planes!
Old 07-10-2008, 12:04 AM
Doppelganger

ORIGINAL: Mitsu1

Good to hear everyone that has flown it says its such a great flyer. Its a Goldberg design, so I kinda felt it would be a good one. What I don't understand at all ... is why Great Planes would spend $3 Million (Very Reliable Info)... to buy Lanier/Goldberg out .. then just discontinue all the good planes they aquired. Just makes no sense! Why not just change the name on the Box to Goldberg or Great planes ... and continue to sell these great designs. Sure there was some crap in the deal that deserved to die ... but this plane was not one of them. This plane deserves to exist .. and have replacement parts available. What a shame .. Great Planes!
I second that. Too bad they didn't keep the Yak alive.

Steve

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.