Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Something different for 50cc?

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Something different for 50cc?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 10:21 AM
andyjayh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Something different for 50cc?

Looking for something a little different for my next 50cc model. I already have a EF Yak 88" and a Compy 2x2 so I don't want another Yak or Extra but this seems to be most of the choice currently. The two I have come up with so far is either a Sukhoi SU26 and I am liking the GlobalRC offering or the old Chip Hyde Vision 3D.

Not a lot of choice with Sukhoi's and the GlobalRC one looks about the best but I don't have any idea of the quality or flight characteristics. It's a fairly cheap model and I have been spoilt with EF quality so don't want to be disappointed. The one I really like is the new H9 but that demands a 85cc lump so the costs put it out for the time being.

Really interested in the Chip Hyde Vision 3D but I know Chip went out of business a couple of years back. ProBuild in the UK can still get them from the factory so still might be able to get my mitts on one if I really wanted to go that way. Liking the idea of this model as it has a freestyle look about it and some of the best models I have flown have the long moment arm, UltraRC Rock 'n' Roll, Capiche 140 to name two. However I am aware this is an old design so is there anything else out there with a similar design?

Any other suggestions for a 50cc freestyle/3D model that is not a Yak or Extra??
Old 01-18-2009, 10:47 AM
rcairflr
My Feedback: (44)

Default RE: Something different for 50cc?

This doesn't answer your question, but leads you in another direction. Since you already have 2 good 50cc airplanes, why get another one? The more time you put in on an airframe the better you will know and be able to fly it. So my suggestion is to take your time and save up a few extra pennies and buy a 33%-35% airplane. Bigger does fly better.
Old 01-18-2009, 10:47 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Have you seen the new PAU 30% Suk. www.flypau.com. Flyfalcons has a thread on it in this forum also.
Old 01-18-2009, 10:49 AM
RTK

How about an Edge, they are great for freestyle/3D, most tumble very well
Old 01-18-2009, 10:51 AM
cjcyclesrc
My Feedback: (10)

ORIGINAL: andyjayh

Looking for something a little different for my next 50cc model. I already have a EF Yak 88" and a Compy 2x2 so I don't want another Yak or Extra but this seems to be most of the choice currently. The two I have come up with so far is either a Sukhoi SU26 and I am liking the GlobalRC offering or the old Chip Hyde Vision 3D.

Not a lot of choice with Sukhoi's and the GlobalRC one looks about the best but I don't have any idea of the quality or flight characteristics. It's a fairly cheap model and I have been spoilt with EF quality so don't want to be disappointed. The one I really like is the new H9 but that demands a 85cc lump so the costs put it out for the time being.

Really interested in the Chip Hyde Vision 3D but I know Chip went out of business a couple of years back. ProBuild in the UK can still get them from the factory so still might be able to get my mitts on one if I really wanted to go that way. Liking the idea of this model as it has a freestyle look about it and some of the best models I have flown have the long moment arm, UltraRC Rock 'n' Roll, Capiche 140 to name two. However I am aware this is an old design so is there anything else out there with a similar design?

Any other suggestions for a 50cc freestyle/3D model that is not a Yak or Extra??
I know what you are talking about. I have an EF 110" Yak and 88" Extra and don't plan to get rid of either on anytime soon. The plane that has me fired up right now is the new EF 50cc Cap. I have already looked at one of Chris's prototypes and it looks sweet. I already have my name on one and I hope it comes in soon. Chris is also working on a 50cc Edge.
Old 01-18-2009, 11:04 AM
JEFFRO503
My Feedback: (9)

why not something completely different like a BIPE ?? Something like a good ultimate or pitts of some type. There are tons of them being made , but very few out there compared to the mono wings. As far as mono wings go.....look into a Sukhoi or possibly a Katana. I'm a huge fan of the Sukhois and own a 35% and a 40% , but i'm also a fan of the katanas as well......very underrated aircraft to be honest!
Old 01-18-2009, 11:50 AM
krayzc-RCU
My Feedback: (31)

Bipes and Caps now that is the ticket
Old 01-18-2009, 01:13 PM
andyjayh

ORIGINAL: rcairflr

This doesn't answer your question, but leads you in another direction. Since you already have 2 good 50cc airplanes, why get another one? The more time you put in on an airframe the better you will know and be able to fly it. So my suggestion is to take your time and save up a few extra pennies and buy a 33%-35% airplane. Bigger does fly better.
That is a very good question actually and I need to explain a bit more. I don't really get on with the Compy 2x2 in comparison with the Yak, I much prefer to fly the Yak so the Compy sits at home. So the reason behind the new model is to take all the kit out of the Compy and use for the new airframe. this is why I don't want to go for the larger H9 Sukhoi as I would need to buy a new engine as well.

I also already have a Compy 2.6m Extra in the garage that I bought a year or so ago but I have been selling that off as I don't want to go that size / investment yet. Prefer to stick with the 50cc models.
Old 01-18-2009, 01:24 PM
andyjayh

ORIGINAL: JEFFRO503

why not something completely different like a BIPE ?? Something like a good ultimate or pitts of some type. There are tons of them being made , but very few out there compared to the mono wings. As far as mono wings go.....look into a Sukhoi or possibly a Katana. I'm a huge fan of the Sukhois and own a 35% and a 40% , but i'm also a fan of the katanas as well......very underrated aircraft to be honest!
Not a big bipe fan due to the hassle putting them together at the field [&o]

Sukhoi is on my list if I can find one that I like but I am a big fan also
Old 01-18-2009, 01:29 PM
andyjayh

ORIGINAL: cjcyclesrc
I know what you are talking about. I have an EF 110" Yak and 88" Extra and don't plan to get rid of either on anytime soon. The plane that has me fired up right now is the new EF 50cc Cap. I have already looked at one of Chris's prototypes and it looks sweet. I already have my name on one and I hope it comes in soon. Chris is also working on a 50cc Edge.
Interesting you should mention the EF Cap, known about that for a while but was a big secret here in the UK. Also we were meant to be getting an Edge prototype here before xmas but that all went out the window when our EF distributor went belly up [>:] No more EF for us now [:@] Would like to see both these models but can't see us getting them for a long time []
Old 01-18-2009, 01:43 PM
andyjayh

ORIGINAL: 804

Have you seen the new PAU 30% Suk. www.flypau.com. Flyfalcons has a thread on it in this forum also.
That does look very nice. Need to do some research on that one. Not sure if I could get it in the UK though even if I did want one??
Old 01-18-2009, 05:07 PM
flatspinjim
My Feedback: (3)

I'm not sure if you can get the Wildhare planes in the U.K., but you might look at them. He has a really nice Sukhoi and 2 really nice Edges in the 50cc range.
Old 01-18-2009, 05:51 PM
andyjayh

Yep we can get the WH gear in the UK. I have been looking at the Sukhoi for a while but from people who have flown both they have recommended the GlobalRC one in preference.

Not a lot of love for the CH Vision so far?
Old 01-18-2009, 10:34 PM
RTK

I think you would like the new edge from WH, I have flown the smaller of the two 50cc edges and it was nice. I would be willing to bet the larger 50cc one is even sweater, price is right too.
Old 01-19-2009, 02:26 AM
sdstick06

Get yourself a Great Planes performance series Ultimate bipe..... It is an extremely nice plane and is a total blast to fly. Field set up is very quick and easy thanks to the thumbscrew fasteners on the struts. It flys better then my 33% Aeroworks Ulty. I have a Brillelli 46cc GT in mine but most are using DA 50 and DL 50 engines.

Here is a pic of mine...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wt58912.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	1114208  
Old 01-19-2009, 09:05 AM
thevirginian

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: sdstick06

Get yourself a Great Planes performance series Ultimate bipe..... It is an extremely nice plane and is a total blast to fly. Field set up is very quick and easy thanks to the thumbscrew fasteners on the struts. It flys better then my 33% Aeroworks Ulty. I have a Brillelli 46cc GT in mine but most are using DA 50 and DL 50 engines.

Here is a pic of mine...
I can attest to that. I sold mine after three years of having fun. She was (and still is) one of the best performing airplanes I owned.
Old 01-20-2009, 12:48 PM
Barry Cazier
My Feedback: (17)

Another option would be the Great Planes Reactor 160. I'm building the EF Yak 88" right now and I have one of these for my next build. The quality is very similar to the EF in my opinion. Top notch. And the people who fly this plane really like it. I think it will be nice. Also, priced very competively. Comes in right at 16lbs 0ozs. It's customer made for a DA 50.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXUSE0&P=ML

Just another one to think about.
Thanks
Barry
Old 01-20-2009, 05:40 PM
andyjayh

ORIGINAL: sdstick06

Here is a pic of mine...
Thanks for the suggestion but I just don't do bipe's. Might change my mind later but for now I haven't really enjoyed one so I might have to wait for someone else to get one of these
Old 01-20-2009, 05:43 PM
andyjayh

ORIGINAL: Barry Cazier

Another option would be the Great Planes Reactor 160. I'm building the EF Yak 88" right now and I have one of these for my next build. The quality is very similar to the EF in my opinion. Top notch. And the people who fly this plane really like it. I think it will be nice. Also, priced very competively. Comes in right at 16lbs 0ozs. It's customer made for a DA 50.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXUSE0&P=ML

Just another one to think about.
Thanks
Barry
Now that's getting there. Very much like the CH Vision 3D and different to the Yak's and Extra's out there. Things I don't like is the lack of pipe tunnel and dual servos on the ailerons, seems overkill on this size of model.
Old 01-20-2009, 09:27 PM
Bashedit
My Feedback: (35)

My flying buddy and I flew the feathers off of a Vision and I wish they were still available here. I have the carcass in my shop now with it slated to go on the build table as soon as I finish my current project. I think you'll be hard pressed to find a better beater plane. I wonder how much it would cost me to get one of those shipped here.

Ed
Old 01-20-2009, 09:27 PM
SportFlyer3

Second vote for the Reactor 160...I'm just putting the finishing touches on mine and hope to maiden it tomorrow. There is a guy in South America on another board that put in a pipe tunnel on his and he likes the way his flies, DA-50 I believe he has on it...
Old 01-21-2009, 11:20 AM
MIXMASTER
My Feedback: (15)

Just saw this thread, HERE'S THE LOVE FOR CH DV!!!! I have one(over 1 year old)now and after several months flying it I heard of another one for sale and got that one too, along w/N.I.B. DA50 to, both for about $600. If you love super locked-in harriers, (I MEAN LOCKED BABY!!!!) wicked TR's, so fast your head spins, blistering rolling harriers, hovers DOD, the DV's for you. Now try to find one N.I.B, thats the challenge. They sell them in South America, forget the country and UK too as mentioned above. I saw the Vision in S.A. too, guess Chip sold the rights. It is built a little bit "old school", not much laser cutting & design from looking at it. Not a lot of room for ignition,batts, but it does fit in there and the plane isWILD WILD WILD to fly. At 18.5 lbs BTW DA50-no problemo, pulls out with plenty of grunt, no reason to tweek the weight. Forgot to mention point rolls with NO rudder input needed, or elevator for that matter, very little coupling, it loves to fly on its side, my kind of flying!!!!!!!

BRING THE DV BACK CHIP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!35% WOULD BE AWESOME
Old 01-21-2009, 06:45 PM
raptorflyr
My Feedback: (20)

If you don't mind building, how about an Ohio Model Products Edge Hybrid? You like 3D and this might just be your ticket. I've got one on the bench. They advertise 16 lbs flying weight and it has a 92" wing. I think it is going to be a 3-d Animal!
Old 01-21-2009, 08:14 PM
rcbirk21
My Feedback: (4)

check out troybuiltmodels.com they have an amazing selection of planes that is always being updated.