Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

Large Scale Setup

Old 05-15-2011, 10:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Large Scale Setup

<![if gte mso 9]><xml><w:WordDocument><w:View>Normal</w:View><w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom><woNotOptimizeForBrowser /></w:WordDocument></xml><![endif]><![if gte mso 9]><xml><o:shapedefaults v:ext="edit" spidmax="1026" /></xml><![endif]><![if gte mso 9]><xml><o:shapelayout v:ext="edit"><o:idmap v:ext="edit" data="1" /></o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]><p style="text-align: justify;" class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-family: Verdana;">Hi All,</span></p><p style="text-align: justify;" class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-family: Verdana;">I am thinking about moving up to larger scale planes and have been doing a little reading on the web.<span style=""> </span>I have a few questions about what I have found and hope you can help.<span style=""> </span>In particular, when it comes to having two or servos controlling one control surface.<span style=""> </span>For instance, a set-up which required two servos controlling the elevators, two servos controlling the rudder, and say four on the ailerons with two each side.<span style=""> </span>I understand the purpose of this is to provide enough torque to move and hold the control surface in question.<span style="">

</span></span><span style="font-family: Verdana;">My question about this type arrangement is how are the servos wired up together, and how are they synchronized?<span style=""> </span>I did see a mention of a servo synchronizer but could not find any on the web, so I think maybe I misunderstood what I was reading.<span style=""> </span>The question of power also comes to mind and is it necessary to have larger power packs to deal with this?<span style=""> </span>How would you guys go about this kind of set-up, and what would you use to achieve it?</span>

<span style="font-family: Verdana;">Your help in understanding how this sort of set-up is done would be much appreciated.</span></p><p style="text-align: justify;" class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-family: Verdana;">Regards,</span></p><p style="text-align: justify;" class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-family: Verdana;">John

</span></p>
Old 05-15-2011, 11:55 AM

Default RE: Large Scale Setup

Matchboxes are used to sync servos.  Power requirements are handled with power distribution systems that direct power to servos without going through RX units.  Have you looked in the Giant Scale forum?  There are many threads there on setups.
Old 05-15-2011, 11:58 AM

You might check into the Smart-Fly line of accessories. I believe they have what you need and can probably answer all of your questions. [link=http://www.smart-fly.com/]http://www.smart-fly.com/[/link]
Old 05-15-2011, 02:30 PM

Depends on what you are planning on actually building, how you plan on flying it and what you have already got. Also depends on how much you wish to spend.

Most planes up to 50cc use one Aileron servo per wing, 1 servo per elevator and one servo for the rudder. (8 channels in total required to have one servo per chanel plus choke and kill - that is a worst case for most planes). In that case, I would use 2 battery packs to power a single receiver and run each servo direct from the receiver - which packs to use is a can of worms and it dpends a lot on the plane, flying style and servos used.

Most planes from 100cc use 2 servos per aileron, 2 per rudder and one each elevator. (11 channels on the scenario above) - Depending on the radio gear, It can be 2 batteries to power 2 receivers (each receiver powering one side of the plane) and the serovs plugged straight in.

IF you don't have a radio that wil cover the amount of channels required, the current options are:

Programmable servos such as the HiTec digitals using "Y" leads from the receiver for matching servos.
Match boxes as mentioned by huck1199
Smart Fly power boards as mentioned by LairdSS - the upper end of the range on those allows programming for each servo.
Futaba S-Bus system

All my planes above 50cc use the SmartFly power boards with Regulated LiPos or A123 batteries. I am just now getting into the S-Bus system but am still learing it as I am a newbie to it.
Old 05-16-2011, 05:29 AM

<xml><span style="font-family: Verdana;">Hi All,

</span><span style="font-family: Verdana;">Thanks for you comments on my post which are most welcome.<span style=""> </span>Huck119 I have registered for the Giant Scale forum and will also be visiting it in the future.<span style=""> </span>Thanks for the mention.<span style=""> </span>I have also registered for Smart Fly as mentioned by Laird SS.</span>

<span style="font-family: Verdana;">I have been looking at one of </span><span style="font-family: Verdana; font-style: normal;">Hostetler's Cessna&rsquo;s to get started and to use as a platform for learning how the set-up is done and about the items available for larger scale models.<span style=""> </span>Most of what I have done in the past is only small scale up to about 75 in. span.<span style=""> </span>Not much is required for this type of model regardless of it being scale or aerobatic.<span style=""> </span>But, as you all know, it&rsquo;s a little different when you move up to large scale and gas engines etc.<span style=""> </span>Anyway, I was thinking that one of these Cessna&rsquo;s would be a good start in large scale.</span>

<span style="font-family: Verdana; font-style: normal;">That&rsquo;s for your comments Steve and the information about what is needed.<span style=""> </span>I will now start reading up on each of the items you mentioned and try to find out more.<span style=""> </span>Thanks again to all for your help.</span>

<span style="font-family: Verdana; font-style: normal;">Regards,</span></xml><![endif]><p class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-family: Verdana; font-style: normal;">John

</span>
</p>