Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

Bulldog build

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2015, 11:14 AM
acerc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The linkage had been made and JB'd. That's it for today, the JB needs 12 hours.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	002.JPG
Views:	93
Size:	448.1 KB
ID:	2101128  
Old 06-07-2015, 04:33 PM
squirrly
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rob, great work on the wings! I don't know how you keep the glue from getting everywhere. Some of the cleanest work I've ever seen. The frame work is straight as an arrow...Awesome!!

Jeff
Old 06-07-2015, 06:02 PM
acerc

Originally Posted by squirrly
Rob, great work on the wings! I don't know how you keep the glue from getting everywhere. Some of the cleanest work I've ever seen. The frame work is straight as an arrow...Awesome!!

Jeff
I am glad you like it.
Old 06-07-2015, 06:24 PM
squirrly

I more than like it...I LOVE IT!!!

Jeff
Old 06-07-2015, 06:34 PM
acerc

Originally Posted by squirrly
I more than like it...I LOVE IT!!!

Jeff
Even better!
Old 06-14-2015, 01:19 PM
acerc

Even though I have not posted I have, kinda, been working on it. Being the springs did not work out I removed them and in the process noticed some weld rust. So for the last couple days I have tinkered with getting them rust free, acid cleaned, and primed with Zinc Phosphate. I also did the same with the cabane while I was at it. I do not want to reinstall until I have one more flight on mine to know how the bungee is going to work out with the added load beyond the kit. Been trying to get one in but weather has not been cooperating, maybe tomorrow. Anyway, here is a shot of the parts in the primer.

Name:	001.JPG
Views:	105
Size:	435.9 KB
ID:	2102576  
Old 06-14-2015, 02:13 PM
squirrly

Originally Posted by acerc
Even though I have not posted I have, kinda, been working on it. Being the springs did not work out I removed them and in the process noticed some weld rust. So for the last couple days I have tinkered with getting them rust free, acid cleaned, and primed with Zinc Phosphate. I also did the same with the cabane while I was at it. I do not want to reinstall until I have one more flight on mine to know how the bungee is going to work out with the added load beyond the kit. Been trying to get one in but weather has not been cooperating, maybe tomorrow. Anyway, here is a shot of the parts in the primer.

Hi Rob, these are the kind of added things you do that set you apart from most builders. Attention to quality is by far the best I've seen and I'm not just saying that because you're working on it for me. Trust me when I say that It will be well cared for, shown off and flown with great joy!! Have a great day Bro!!

Jeff
Old 06-25-2015, 02:42 PM
acerc

I started this morning with putting the wings on in hopes of getting them finished up, but it did not work out that way. The top wing halves when pulled together had a nice 1/4" gap in the front. I spent numerous hours trying to figure out why. I started by laying each wing half over it's corresponding plan sheet, nothing there. After many measurements and much aggravation I laid the sheets over each other and held to light so as to see, perfect alignment with each other. So after lots of finding nothing I had the thought of pulling up the full scale drawings, measuring dimensions in different directions. I finally found that the butting edge on the EMHW paper sheets are off. I don't know why and don't care, I just have to fix it. So, I cut some 1/8" light ply for the abutting ends of the wings, I will glue them on and sand them until the wings but tightly. It may be a while for any progress as tomorrow I start prepping for the trip to Texas next week. I will be gone a total of nearly two weeks. But I promise, when we get back I will get back full steam on this build.
Old 06-25-2015, 02:44 PM
acerc

Almost forgot, being the bungee worked out on mine I went ahead and re-installed the gear with the bungee and re-installed the cabane.
Old 06-26-2015, 05:39 AM
squirrly

Thanks Bud, that was a lot work trying to find the reason for the the gap on the wing halves. You are a persistent devil. Lol
I hope you and the wife have great time in Texas. We'll be looking forward for some pics and a video of course.

Jeff
Old 06-26-2015, 08:11 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

Minor discrepancies seem to be the norm with hand drawn plans. It must be harder to screw up with a CAD plan but I have seen it.
Old 06-28-2015, 08:06 AM
John_M_

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Ace did you have a similar issue while building the red eagle?

Could be just a discrepancy in the wing tube cutouts in the ribs which won't let the wing root ends mate up when joined together.... the wing tube sockets should be 90 degrees to the root rib on each wing panel in order for the two wing halves to join flush.

John M,
Old 06-28-2015, 08:45 AM
acerc

Originally Posted by John_M_
Ace did you have a similar issue while building the red eagle?

Could be just a discrepancy in the wing tube cutouts in the ribs which won't let the wing root ends mate up when joined together.... the wing tube sockets should be 90 degrees to the root rib on each wing panel in order for the two wing halves to join flush.

John M,
I built mine as a one piece wing where as Jeff's is a two piece. Sometimes with paper the elements will shift things a little, normally I leave the inboard panels out until butting like the point I am at. But for some reason I did not on this one. It is not big deal and will have them aligned in one day. I have already cut the pieces to fill it when I get back to it. I could have cut and tugged and worked the rib out but adding a filler block is better and will add more strength to the joint.
Old 06-28-2015, 09:13 AM
John_M_

You know I didn't realized until you mentioned yours is a one piece wing... I have no doubt you'll sort it out... I'm just surprised with these EMHW kits being cut with a CNC router it wasn't spot on.... the error certainly wouldn't be on their master plans, so its probably on the paper plan set put in the box; or as you say shrinkage in the plans / wood, or something shifted on the CNC bed that wasn't caught in time.

I've seen some strange things happen with printed plans, especially those Bud Nosen plans; back then they were true "blue prints", some times with big shifts in the paper which didn't get caught by QC... not to mention they faded rather quickly in the present of sun light.

John M,
Old 06-28-2015, 09:46 AM
acerc

The plans would not have to move but a 1/2° to create a gap. But I don't blame the plans I blame myself for I know this and know how to rectify it, just didn't. It will be corrected easily though.
Old 06-28-2015, 01:14 PM
John_M_

Yep, doesn't take much of a discrepancy.

Don't blame yourself, blame Jeff, he should have been paying more attention to the build

All joking aside, as long as the swept back is the same both side, shouldn't be an issue.

John M,

Last edited by John_M_; 07-04-2015 at 05:10 PM.
Old 06-28-2015, 02:30 PM
acerc

Both wings are identical so with the same spacing the sweep will remain intact, this ain't my first rodeo!!!!
Old 06-29-2015, 08:06 AM
FlyerInOKC

Paper is a natural wood product and is just as susceptible to humidity as wood. A large enough difference between the humidity at time the plan is printed and when it is being used can cause minor variations.
Old 07-17-2015, 07:34 AM
acerc

The wing joint has been corrected by way of light ply glued to the end butts and sanded. It is now a tight fit and snug on the cabane. I will continue on when the alignment tube epoxy has dried, in about two hours.

Name:	001.JPG
Views:	81
Size:	499.4 KB
ID:	2109688  
Old 07-17-2015, 09:59 AM
stevegauth30

Nice to see you back at it Ace.
Old 07-17-2015, 10:36 AM
Melchizedek

Originally Posted by stevegauth30
Nice to see you back at it Ace.
+1

Kevin
Old 07-17-2015, 10:37 AM
acerc

Good to be back. I have through Wednesday to work on it and hope to have it ready for covering by then. If I make it I will load it all up, take it north, do the covering and paint in the bigger room. Being as we came back home that room did not get converted and will have to wait until done with this bird.
I have the center fitted real well, the struts predrilled, next is to enlarge the strut hole's for the threaded brass inserts.
Old 07-17-2015, 11:33 AM
squirrly

Nice to see you back at it...Awesome!

Jeff
Old 07-17-2015, 12:20 PM
FlyerInOKC

Welcome back! Man that is one big airplane!

So did Jackie order one to add to her hanger?!
Old 07-17-2015, 01:19 PM
acerc

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
Welcome back! Man that is one big airplane!

So did Jackie order one to add to her hanger?!
I think seeing it gave her second thoughts about the Extra.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.