Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - General
Reload this Page >

1/4 scale Skybolt from Bob Dively kit plans

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

1/4 scale Skybolt from Bob Dively kit plans

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2024, 04:29 AM
ospreyhawk
My Feedback: (92)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your Skybolt is beautiful. Good luck with the maiden!
Old 01-19-2024, 01:48 PM
RICKSTUBBZ

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
Default What is that orange creature

Originally Posted by bryanmiick
Just about ready to fly, just checked the balance and it looks like I got it right. It hangs level with no added weight.
.............................still thinking about cabanes.
Skybolt is looking good...

What is this orange Creature?
Old 01-19-2024, 08:54 PM
bryanmiick

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Thanks, The orange plane is a Moustache Model Works DH-2c Beaver with an OS gt-22 engine. Flys great in all wind conditions

First saw a review of the kit in Model Aviation Magazine.

Ready to fly

New Years Day fun fly 2021
, another member has a build log on the plane on RCU
Old 01-19-2024, 09:06 PM
bryanmiick

Originally Posted by hapay
I did get the DLE 61 installed and test ran. Hope to lighten tail enough to omit adding ballast to engine compt. Thanks for posting plans.
I was able to balance without adding weight and if I need to I could move my battery further forward but removing all the weight out of the tail was definitely a good idea

original plans called for solid 3/8" balsa tail that was removable and 1/8" sheeting on fuselage sides in addition to what is in picture

Balance is just behind leading edge of bottom wing or just in front of rear cabane strut on top wing tail brace wires help strengthen fin and stabilizer
Old 01-24-2024, 08:43 PM
bryanmiick

Today was the day for the maiden or "Shake Down" flight. Got every thing ready, weighed the plane (23lbs 6oz), double checked balance etc. Headed to the field, 45 degrees, no wind worth mentioning assembled the plane, fueled her up and fired the engine for the first time. After priming it popped on 2nd flip, took choke off and fired it up, let it warm up and then ran up to full throttle. did a range check with engine running, got ready to taxi out and noticed 1 aileron not working. the screw that holds the horn on vibrated out, fixed that and prepared to go again. Fired the engine and noticed 1 elevator 1/2 not working. shut hwe down and took the wings off checked all servo horn screws and put a drop of ca on all of them. reassembled plane and fired the engine again, it would only get to 1/2 throttle and then die. we reset the low needle to 1 1/2 turns out, re fired and it ran great. Taxied out pointed it into what wind there was and fed in throttle, added rudder for torque and got a little squirrely because I over compensated. it straightened out and I lifted off, it had a little left roll so I got a little altitude and added about 5 clicks of right aileron. Flew beautiful at 1/2 throttle with just a slight down angle so I added 1 click of up elevator. Flew around several laps and did a roll, it might need a little more aileron throw, did a loop, and then made my first landing approach. It dropped a little more than I thought it would so I added throttle and went around, got some altitude and cut the throttle to see the sink rate, brought it around for a perfect 3 point landing with a good roll out. (I always try to remember to not stop flying until the plane is stopped) Killed the engine and gave it a look over, decided not to do a 2nd flight until I check all the nuts and bolts. Looks like a few have rattled loose. I will replace muffler bolts and tie wire them as 1 of them vibrated loose. Will check everything.
All in all a good day.

Old 01-25-2024, 03:02 PM
RICKSTUBBZ

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Your Airplane looks nice and I am glad to read that in spite of a few challenges the flight went well and the airplane went home in the same shape it was in when it left home. Now armed with a few minor changes hopefully the next flight will be even better yet.
Now for me, it would need to be a little warmer...

Oh, and that sure is a beautiful back drop for flying model airplanes!
Old 01-25-2024, 06:34 PM
ospreyhawk
My Feedback: (92)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Skybolt!

Congrats on a challenging, yet successful maiden!