Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - General
Reload this Page >

Building the Hangar 9 Cessna 182 Skylane

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

Building the Hangar 9 Cessna 182 Skylane

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2012, 09:41 AM
MX240
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Building the Hangar 9 Cessna 182 Skylane

Yes, I highly recommend you buy the Biela 17X10 white carbon fiber prop with red tips for that motor. I have tried the 18 inch prop also and it is too much for that motor.
I have found the OS 160 pulls the best with the Biela 17".
As far as RPM's that 6400 to 6600 is about all you will get out of a 160 twin. You lean it out to get 7000 your going to drop a cylinder in flight. I have two of these motors.
I have mounted the Perry pumps (vibrating) under both of mine for a more reliable idle. If yours is a newer style with the better carb you are ok. I think I have a picture of this way back in this thred somewhere?
Jim
Old 11-12-2012, 09:51 AM
skew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow! 6500rpm no wonder my 182 cruises at 1/4 throttle on my electric conversion swings 18x8 10,500-11,000 but I backed it down to 9,500 to be safe I need a carbon prop to turn those speeds but I never had to use more than 60% throttle anyway.
Old 11-12-2012, 10:40 AM
RonTins

Jim:

Do you have an OnBoard starter attached to yours? I wonder if my Fema Gearwheel is also drawing down the rpm.
Old 11-13-2012, 09:04 AM
MX240

ORIGINAL: fiifiward

Jim:

Do you have an OnBoard starter attached to yours? I wonder if my Fema Gearwheel is also drawing down the rpm.
No I don't and I use 15% fuel.
Jim
Old 11-13-2012, 12:45 PM
Tom in Cincy
My Feedback: (16)

Just for reference, I have an 8 year old H9 182 with an older OS 160 twin(airbleed carb) and it turns a master airscrew plastic 18-6 at 8100 rpm consistantly. I am using 10% nitro fuel. I have onboard glow which is used on low throttle only. It idles @ 1100 rpm no problem. The 160 turning 8k rpm has plenty of power for the Cessna and the plane is a joy to fly.
Old 11-13-2012, 06:26 PM
MX240

If you can get 8000 out of that motor you have a better one then the three that around here.
I would keep that baby for sure.
Old 11-14-2012, 04:04 AM
RonTins

ORIGINAL: Tom in Cincy

Just for reference, I have an 8 year old H9 182 with an older OS 160 twin(airbleed carb) and it turns a master airscrew plastic 18-6 at 8100 rpm consistantly. I am using 10% nitro fuel. I have onboard glow which is used on low throttle only. It idles @ 1100 rpm no problem. The 160 turning 8k rpm has plenty of power for the Cessna and the plane is a joy to fly.
What type of fuel mixture are you running on that OS 160 and is your 18x6 a two or three blade prop?
Old 12-20-2012, 12:45 PM
RonTins

Man! I have not heard any more flight reports from others out there. I refuse to believe that all are grounded. C'mon guys, pictures... videos..???[]
Old 12-20-2012, 01:47 PM
MX240

This whole thread post is filled with pictures and video if you go back through it and click on my profile for a couple of pics of mine that I still have and love.
It's one of my favorite ARF's.
Jim
Old 12-20-2012, 02:01 PM
RonTins

I have seen all the pictures and videos of all the Cessna's out there more than 5000 times.. I am ready for new ones people...
The video of the maiden flight did not come out too good. Waiting for good weather to try out it's second flight and will post the link to the video and add pictures there after. I am thinking about purchasing a three blade 18x8 prop. What's the general consensus on this application?
Old 01-21-2013, 06:51 PM
RonTins

After a whole lot of rain this past week, Saturday turned out to be just right. With the sun out and temperatures hovering around 55 degrees Farenheit, I headed out to our local field to test my Cesnna out after her initial maiden last year. With my local club buddies so eager to see fat Theresa take to the skies, I preped her up, fueled, bolted on the wings, struts, batteries all charged up, I set her up on the runway for her second voyage. I had about 25 degrees of flap set, in anticipation that her take off roll might be longer than our runway is. In fact I was surprised as I floored the throttle. In about 30-50 feet or so, she lifted off the runway and actual tailed scraped the cone. As she soared up, I gradually eased off the flaps until they were set for nuetral and off she went. With the Cessna weighing in at about 28 pounds, I was surprised that she flew very well and stable. At about 3/4 throttle and with the OS-FT160 swinging a 16x8 three blade prop, she averaged at around 68-75 mph, not bad for a heavy bird such as this. With this being my first giant scale flight, I was initially tense, but settled in just fine and flew a couple of laps. After about ten minutes of flight time I decided it was time to bring her back in. I proceeded to perform the decend and lined up for what I thought would be a smooth landing. Just when I touched the grass part of our field and the nose settled down, it dug into the earth which was soft from all that rain last week. The nose strut broke from the firewall and ended up crushing my cowl. Still fixable but a lesson learned. I will never fly her nor land on grass field EVER again.

Does anyone have a spare Sierra Nose strut will ing to part away with?
Old 01-24-2013, 09:52 PM
baronbrian
My Feedback: (13)

Man! I have not heard any more flight reports from others out there. I refuse to believe that all are grounded. C'mon guys, pictures... videos..???[]
I fly a friends 182, my flight reports have been very good. Kept under 20 lbs and only a super tigre 2300 with zinger 18x8 prop for power. Two big flight batteries up front to help the plane balance with the light 2 stroke. Baffles and scale exhaust location along with onboard glow have kept the cowling completely intact on both sides of the fuse. Incredible scale like performance! Takeoff at half throttle and 2/3 power for cruise. Full throttle is reserved for climbs and chandells. Flaps steepen approach, and are not needed if headwind is 10mph or more. Looks like he real thing going by. He is inexperienced so I have been the only pilot thus far. Last flight was 5 years ago, but going to cycle the 2 batteries and give it a go again this spring, maybe a few fun scale contests along the way.
Old 02-16-2013, 09:03 AM
SoMaR0129

Anybody not have the notch cut into the back of the fuseage for the vertical fin as the manual states? If not what did you do to correct? I have contacted Horizon about this but they wont have an answer for me until Tuesday. Any help would be appreciated
Old 02-16-2013, 06:10 PM
RonTins

I had to cut a notch in the back for the vertical fin to fit in place. You will need to trim a little, fit in place to see if it seats in perfectly and if not, trim some more. Just do a little at a time.
Old 02-17-2013, 07:03 PM
sj3cub
My Feedback: (9)

After a whole lot of rain this past week, Saturday turned out to be just right. With the sun out and temperatures hovering around 55 degrees Farenheit, I headed out to our local field to test my Cesnna out after her initial maiden last year. With my local club buddies so eager to see fat Theresa take to the skies, I preped her up, fueled, bolted on the wings, struts, batteries all charged up, I set her up on the runway for her second voyage. I had about 25 degrees of flap set, in anticipation that her take off roll might be longer than our runway is. In fact I was surprised as I floored the throttle. In about 30-50 feet or so, she lifted off the runway and actual tailed scraped the cone. As she soared up, I gradually eased off the flaps until they were set for nuetral and off she went. With the Cessna weighing in at about 28 pounds, I was surprised that she flew very well and stable. At about 3/4 throttle and with the OS-FT160 swinging a 16x8 three blade prop, she averaged at around 68-75 mph, not bad for a heavy bird such as this. With this being my first giant scale flight, I was initially tense, but settled in just fine and flew a couple of laps. After about ten minutes of flight time I decided it was time to bring her back in. I proceeded to perform the decend and lined up for what I thought would be a smooth landing. Just when I touched the grass part of our field and the nose settled down, it dug into the earth which was soft from all that rain last week. The nose strut broke from the firewall and ended up crushing my cowl. Still fixable but a lesson learned. I will never fly her nor land on grass field EVER again.

I have been flying mine off nothing but grass since they first came out years ago. They preform beautifully off grass, just like the full scale does. Why are you having so much trouble with yours, and how in the world did you manage to get it so overweight at 28 lbs? There are a whole lot more of these Cessna's flying off grass than there are flying off pavement.
Old 02-17-2013, 07:04 PM
sj3cub
My Feedback: (9)

I have been flying mine off nothing but grass since they first came out years ago. They preform beautifully off grass, just like the full scale does. Why are you having so much trouble with yours, and how in the world did you manage to get it so overweight at 28 lbs? There are a whole lot more of these Cessna's flying off grass than there are flying off pavement.

EDIT, I went back several pages, and now see why it came out so heavy.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:33 AM
Adrian_CH

Hello Together,

i have the Big One 33% and the Light Set from InnoSky.ch.It is cheap and fully programmable.

Greetings from Switzerland

Adrian
Old 02-18-2013, 12:08 PM
RonTins

I am aware that many have their Cessna's flying off grass fields, however I do prefer to fly mine off and land them on paved runways as well. The nose strut does not take much of an abuse as grass runways do in my opinion. Also I do like the sight of rubber smacking an asphalt runway (If only I could simulate the blue puf of smoke emitteed from the tires as they smack the runway...). To set the record straight, mine has not been having any problems. The incident that occured was on the second voyage, which by all accounts, should not have taken place at all. Like I said earlier, it was very wet week and had caused the field to be very soggy in many areas.
Old 02-28-2013, 08:21 AM
Crazy_Pilot

Good morning everyone. My name is Chris and I picked up one of these models last fall. I'd been wanting one for a long time, so when I saw it had returned to special order from discontinued I jumped on it and picked one up. I've been really enjoying building it so far. The airframe is 80% done, still need to pick up my radio gear and mount the engine. Which brings me to my question of the day. 

I'm going to be running the big Saito 220 GK in mine. And yes, it'll fit nicely without modifying the firewall, there is about 1/4 or 3/8 inch between the carb and firewall when the spinner backplate is at the correct 6.25" distance. I want to build a custom Pitts style muffler closer to scale, but that's a different subject. In case you're wondering why I want so much power in the plane, there are a couple reasons. One is that I had the 220 already and would rather not buy another engine. The second and more important is that this is going to end up being a float plane, with a set of scratch built floats that will be as close to scale as I can make. Also, my experience with float installation is that they tend to push the CG back, requiring some nose weight to balance. I hate useless ballast. I'd rather use the extra weight to get more power, and have the extra power to deal with the floats and any other accessories I want to include. 

I'm worried about the vibration of the engine though. I picked up a set of the DuBro anti-vibration mounts, but one of the mounting screws collides solidly with the mixture screw and throttle arm on the carb, rendering them useless. The included H9 mounts will work to hold the engine, but have no vibration damping and are frankly pathetically made. The Saito mount for the engine is also solid and would mount the engine too far forward. 

I've been brainstorming alternatives to this that don't involve carving up the engine box, but short of having a set of custom mounts machined (which I love from an engineering perspective, but hate from a cost perspective), I'm not coming up with much. Has anyone with a larger single cylinder engine had vibration-induced problems? Any alternatives to help ease them down?
Old 03-03-2013, 06:04 PM
Crazy_Pilot

A couple shots of the 220GK temporarily installed: (via linked images, since the RCU server seems to be broken)

I have the engine mounts clamped to the firewall/engine box for now to allow me to cut the cowling. And not to worry, the nose gear will be upgraded before the plane flies. I'm also debating paint schemes... I may end up peeling off the 2000 model year colours and change it to the new 182T. Of course then I would need to make some new wheel pants, add the little vanes on the fin, modify the cowling... Sounds like fun!
Old 03-04-2013, 07:36 AM
RonTins

Congrats on your acquisition of the Hangar 9 Cessna 182. It is a lovely bird and I am sure you will like it each every passing day as you progress through the build process. As you may know by now, pay attntion to the rudder linkage as you may need to modify that. Feel free to ask questions when ever in doubt and post as many pictures of the build progress. Can't wait to see the maiden.
Old 03-05-2013, 06:26 AM
Crazy_Pilot

Thanks! I'm really enjoying building the plane so far. It's been a while since I put one together, so getting the building bug again has been fun. The stock rudder linkage on mine seems to have worked out well enough. I'll be adding a ball link to the pushrod instead of the H9 hardware, since the torque rod rotates on a different axis than the servo arm. I'll probably run a ~100 oz-in servo (haven't chosen which yet) and don't see any issues with control authority.

I've run across a few inconsistencies in the instructions, but nothing that actually mattered. Things like listing on drill size in the tools required list, but calling up another in the actual procedure. The hardware supplied with the kit though was pretty awful. For some reason I only got 4-40x3/4 cap screws, no other lengths. And not even enough of those to complete the plane. The H9 engine mounts are a joke, the casting quality of those things is abysmal. Faces aren't square, holes are different diameters or offset... Cheap junk in general. I'm still debating what to use for engine mounts, but almost anything other than the H9 ones will mean modifying the engine box.
Old 03-05-2013, 11:36 PM
frank99
My Feedback: (29)

feel your pain,my 1st flight was very nice ,then the nose strut fell off,not sure why,i was sure the bolts were tight. mount was fine but it sliped out somehow, had to land and came in as slow as possible ,nose up and then the nose went down and pits muffler or the spinner stuck in the ground and push the engine box in . got lucky could have been a lot more damage and cowl was off for tuning engine. all is fixed but how do i get the front windshield off ,used rc-56 , can not get the dash panel back in the plane,it was ez to install with the windshield off, thanks frank
Old 03-06-2013, 08:26 PM
RonTins

Hi Frank:

I have not used rc-56 type glue before so I cannot comment or reccommend on a good way to remove it. The windshield will surely hvae to come off to enable you to get to the cockpit panel. There are some methods others have discussed if you run a google search on "how to remove RC-56 glue". When you are able to remove the windshield, try using small screws to fasten it in place instead of glue. That is how I have fastened mine and it holds it securely in place. The only windows I glued were the side ones. There are plenty of pictures on here that show how I installed mine so you have an idea.
Old 03-30-2013, 09:05 PM
RonTins

Weather was awesome today it could be any better for the first week in Spring. As a result of the nice weather with calm winds, I ventured out to the filed to have my Cessna flown and filmed. I had a seasoned pilot at my local field fly her and put her through a battery of flight tests. Weighing in at just over 26 LBS, I will admit she flew pretty well. My onboard Tach recorded Max RMPS in the region of 7200 and 7400 rpm, not bad for a three blade 16 x 8 prop. I intend to try out a 18 x 6 to see if the rpm's increase a tad bit. For a plane this size, it was able to achieve a top sped of about 85 mphin level flight. I will have a video loaded on youtube shortly. I love this plane.

Below is the link to the video...

http://youtu.be/ic8E24Esn7g

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.