Community
Search
Notices
Glow to Electric Conversions Discuss glow/gas conversion to electric here.

Hangar 9 AT-6 Texan

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2005, 12:16 PM
luc-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Hangar 9 AT-6 Texan

another question:
I have read also a lot of complains on the retracts (specially on the P51). Is the problem so acute on the AT-6 also?
Is there any drop in replacement (I sure can't bend a 3/16 wire) ?
Old 01-01-2005, 01:50 PM
Greg Covey

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Luc,

The stock retracts work fine as long as you land the plane reasonably soft. My feeling is that the complaints came from damage after hard landings.

Even on seemingly perfect landings, you can still bounce the plane a few times. This doesn't damage the retracts but just doesn't look good. It also allows your friends to count the landings.

I replaced my stock gear mains with some Robart struts (on the Corsair) to eliminate the bounced landings. I still use the stock retract mechanism. Century Retracts makes a drop in air retract for the Corsair and perhaps for the AT-6...but they are not inexpensive.
Old 01-01-2005, 01:55 PM
luc-RCU

Thx again Greg

I saw a robart 608HD which is rather cheap (40$) with 3/16 strut.
Is it an acceptable replacement too?
Also somebody can tell me the exact size of the wheels to try to get foam ones (there should be less rebound)?
Old 01-02-2005, 03:21 AM
luc-RCU

cancelled
Old 01-02-2005, 09:03 AM
Greg Covey

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Luc,

I used Robart 653 series struts on my H9 Corsair. This link [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_1406700/mpage_7/key_/tm.htm]here[/link] should take you to the right page of my Corsair thread in this forum where I documented my Robart upgrade. I suspect that the AT-6 may not need the struts shortened since they do not rotate 90 degrees like on the Corsair. I also suspect that the wheel size is the same on the Corsair and the AT-6 but my wings are currently packed away in my garage loft for the Winter or I would measure the size for you.
Old 07-06-2006, 10:51 AM
PhotoPete

Hi there

I just wanted to share some photos of my Hanger 9 AT6 Texan conversion to electric power. I've built and flown a lot of different electric planes, but never build anything this big before, and I've always wanted a plane with retracts.

I had scanned all the discussion forums before attempting the conversion, and got lots of info and advice, and felt pretty confident before starting that things would go OK. They did. Maiden flight was yesterday, flew like a champ off grass. (and landed in one piece)

Power system:

E-Flite Power 60 out-runner motor
Castle Creations Phoenix 80 ESC
ThunderPower 6000mah 6s3p ProLite battery
APC 15x10E prop

4 HS-475HB servos
1 HS-75BB retract servo
Hitec Elecron 6 receiver
1500 mah NiMH rcvr battery

All up weight = 8.4 lbs
Motor pulls 54 Amps @7400 rpm
1140 watts = 135 watts/lb

I saw a pic in another discussion forum about using PVC pipe as a motor mount - and it worked perfect. I used 2 inch PVC to properly space the motor from the firewall, and 3" 8-32 screws to hold it on. I had to drill out the holes in the EFlite backplate to accommodate the slightly larger mounting screws (6-32 just seemed too whimpy)

The battery came as 2 6000mah 3s1p packs, but they were too long for the space available, so I cut open the shrinkwrap, and re-configured the cells into a solid block that fit perfectly into the fuel tank area. Battery pack weighs 28 oz. The plane did not require any extra ballast for proper CG balance.

The plane flew flawless on it's first flight. needed very little trim adjustment. Take off was quick from grass, flew mostly at 1/2 throttle. Landing was very stable, just cut the throttle once over the threshold, and it settled smoothly back onto the grass.

Thanks to these discussion forums, I got most of the info I needed before doing the work, and it saved me a lot of trial and error.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn35960.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	487846   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt61278.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	28.8 KB
ID:	487847   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bg92083.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	487848   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vp39833.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	487849   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zk68324.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	487850   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bs13961.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	487851   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ya58037.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	487852   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rq55856.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	25.0 KB
ID:	487853  

Old 07-06-2006, 11:44 AM
algutkin
My Feedback: (1)

Pete:

Congrads on the maiden and the completion of the bird. However, the Hangar 9 landing gear is the weak link. Expect bent gear and wobble to develop within the mechanism at the slightest non-perfect wheel landing or high full stall landing. This is very hard to repair when the gear covers are glued in place. Did you notice that I said wheel landing? The Hangar 9 gear will not hold up to most full stall landings. I'm sure Norm Goyer will have somthing to say about this.

If you fly on grass, you have several advantages, the plane will take off easily, and your wheel landings will be short with very little bounce or roll out. Now, if you fly off of a paved runway, the landings will be much more difficult, due to the fact that in order to save the gear, you have to make a perfect wheel landing and not run off the runway into the dirt or grass. You will get this knowledge from more experiece with the Hangar 9 warbirds. I have the whole collection, and gear operation is just as fragile on all of them. Oh yea, you can say it's my flying that might be partially to blame, but, I especially like full stall landings on the T-6.

PS. Where is a grass runway in CA?

Al