Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Glow Engines
Reload this Page >

UMS Evolution Radial Care and Operation

Community
Search
Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

UMS Evolution Radial Care and Operation

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 02:39 PM
Orion09
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: UMS Evolution Radial Care and Operation

I like a product called Fluid Film for the rockers and tappets.Its a liquid grease in a aerosol can so its easy to get lots on and its stay where you spray like Toms cycle chain lube.
Old 05-09-2012, 05:02 PM
Maxam
My Feedback: (62)

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

OK, The retracts are the rs333RB and they exactly fit the original mounts. Now the strut length is 150mm for your order. The retracts have recently been greatly strengthened with a new 6mm rods and steel gears. Make sure the struts are for the new 6mm rods! There you go. I am holding in my hand the new version rs333rb and they feel SOLID! Now the new gear might be better with 155mm struts???? Be sure to ask!!! -Tom
You will not believe how good the plane will sound and fly with this 7-77.
Old 05-10-2012, 03:12 PM
Heli-NuBee

Thanks for your input Tom, it is much appreciated. Next question, which is the better on board glow system? Sonic-Tronics (MCDaniel) or Microsens (with or without the plug balancer)? What is the concensus out there?

Roger
Old 05-10-2012, 03:51 PM
Orion09

Im using microsens with the balancer.Easy to progam but the thing I like about it most is the size of the glow battery 1s 5000mAh lipo.
Old 05-10-2012, 04:38 PM
Maxam

ORIGINAL: Heli-NuBee

Thanks for your input Tom, it is much appreciated. Next question, which is the better on board glow system? Sonic-Tronics (MCDaniel) or Microsens (with or without the plug balancer)? What is the concensus out there?

Roger
Roger, I do not use on-board glow. -Tom
Old 05-10-2012, 05:20 PM
Heli-NuBee

Thanks guys, I guess I am a little concerned about flying an expensive plane and engine without using on board glow. It seem like there is a lot invested to take a chance that some cylinders may flame out at low throttle settings while landing. I have had some bad experiences with that on single cylinder engines. Hey Orion09, will the stock glow plug wires that came with the engine work OK with the Microsens system? Also, does one need to buy their programing card to set the device?

Thanks, Roger
Old 05-10-2012, 05:22 PM
Heli-NuBee

Orion09 - Yup, I agree, I like the thought of using a 5000 mah 1s lipo.
Old 05-10-2012, 05:26 PM
Heli-NuBee

Hey Tom,

I sent a message to Lado yesterday asking about the new version of the 333RB retracts and associated struts. They have not responded as yet but I will let you know what they say about the struts and the 150 or 155mm lengths.

Roger
Old 05-10-2012, 08:15 PM
booker-RCU
My Feedback: (43)

I use the Mcdaniel glow driver. I have only run the engine for break in but found the glow driver to be handy to start, then I turn it off. Seems to idle just fine with out it. Others have a lot more experience than I with the engine, however.

Maxam - In re-reading the manual it says not to use standoffs for mounting the engine. I have 1.3 inch standoffs and wonder what your experience is. In fact any others opinions would be apprecieated.

Old 05-11-2012, 02:43 AM
Orion09

The stock wires will work with microsens,but I used their wires because I used the balancer too.It works off small changes in resistance so good wire connections is critical.There is no programming card,you use your transmitter throttle to do it.As for standoffs,I used them to but not directly against the engine mount plate which is fairly thin.I used plywood between the engine and standoffs.
Old 05-11-2012, 02:55 AM
Maxam

Booker, Make good stand offs out of wood. Check out my corsair standoffs I made pictured elswhere in the thread (page 2). Roger, I buy directly from France on the lado's. Shipping is high though. I found out they do not make 155mm so stay with 150's or if you have a lathe, 160's and shorten to 155mm.
Old 05-12-2012, 06:09 AM
Heli-NuBee

Hey Tom,

I went back and looked at the pictures that you posted on page 2 of this forum. Nice looking installation. It looks as though you are using a phono jack to connect your glow plug wires for starting. I am reconsidering the on board glow system because it would save considerable flying weight. What do you use for a starting battery?

Thanks, Roger
Old 05-13-2012, 05:57 AM
Maxam

Hi Roger, The jack is like the one used with transmitter charging jacks only three sizes larger. Radio Shack I believe still has them in those parts drawers. Make all wires thick and short. A very small voltage drop is a big deal with 1.5 volts! My starter battery is 8 700 ma nicads all wired in parallel. At Toledo I bought 3 3700 ma nicads to wire in parallel when my octet fades. When you bench run your engine do great experimentation with tuning and quick throttle changes and study how well the engine runs at all throttle settings to insure you have a well tuned engine. This does require a good ear for engine operation....On my older Seidel evo engines; they where quitting at half throttle because the midrange would go lean at that throttle setting if the idle mixture was set to run idle correctly so I had to have a bit rich idle for the midrange to be ok. The newer carbs might have solved this issue.-Tom
Old 05-13-2012, 07:51 AM
cymaz

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have my UMS 7-77 for several months now and put about 3 gallons for 5% through it.

I have noticed that the bottom end has richend up somewhat from a few runs ago any way this has meant the engine has lost power
on take off - not ideal by any means.

Anyone had the same happen as their radial has been running???
Old 05-13-2012, 08:33 AM
Maxam

Have you richened the high speed needle? Check the usual tank issues that can come up. I have found a few degrees change in outside temp to affect the engines fuel mixture significantly. -Tom
Old 05-13-2012, 08:36 AM
cymaz

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes but only a click or two. It doesn't take much for the motor to go "over" into lean. A little on the rich side seems to get the most of the power.
Old 05-15-2012, 05:50 PM
Heli-NuBee

My BH 90" Corsair arrived today - it looks really great, I think I made the right choice for my Evolution 777 radial engine. Lado retracts and the Mircosens on board glow system with balancer have also been ordered. It may be a while before I start the build because I have several other projects on the boards right now. I am excited about the radial powered Corsair though and will build it ASAP. Thanks to all who have offered their assistance.

Roger
Old 05-15-2012, 06:20 PM
slskn
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Roger is this Corsair a kit form or
ARF?-Steve
Old 05-15-2012, 07:11 PM
Heli-NuBee

It is an ARF - more done on this plane than any other ARF I have ever had.

Roger
Old 05-15-2012, 07:12 PM
Heli-NuBee

I guess since it is an ARF I should have said assemble rather than build.
Old 05-15-2012, 07:20 PM
slskn
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was just wondering I am a ARF kind of guy, just don`t have the time to build any more and some of these Arfs are pretty darn decent now a days every plane I have is Arfs accept for the Corsair! -Steve
Old 05-16-2012, 02:59 AM
Maxam

Roger, I used a hinge system that is much better than the original and would cost you 1.50 in hinge cost from Lowes. I will show you later. Has worked well and looks way better. -Tom
PS. Everyone the cooling on this corsair is excellent!! They curved the fuslage front inward and the cowl flaps are open more so the airflow is free.
Old 05-16-2012, 06:42 AM
Heli-NuBee

Hey Steve, I am an ARF kind of guy too. I just don't have time to build like I did when I was young. The BH Corsair seems to have more of the work done than most other ARFs at least at first glance. Tom - thanks again for your help. I really appreciate your input since you have first hand experience with the BH Corsair and the 7-77 radial engine. One of the things I know for sure that will change are the aileron and elevator hinges. I will not use CA type hinges on a large airplane. I lost my Hanger 9 150 size P-47 due to CA hinge failure so I found out not to use CA hinges on large airplanes the hard way. I am looking forward to the flap hinges and any other suggestions you may have.

Roger
Old 05-16-2012, 06:58 AM
Maxam

Roger, Yes!!! The hinges must not be used. I saw failure on the elevator and now use 4 DuBro hinges per side. Gotta be careful as this is an engine thread not a corsair thread but dang it what a perfect combo. I flew my Robin Hood 99 with my 9-90 the other day. I did the full regime oiling the engine after the flying for that day. The next day the engine felt lightly "crunchy" so I removed a top and and bottom cam follower and flushed with more after run oil and evidence of water was present!!! Now it is clear and smooth. Moral of story; check you engine the next day for smoothness, if not hit it with more after run to get that evil corrosive and water out. Watch out for hydralic lock though with all that oil. Seems more of an issue with the 9-99. Worth the trouble as the engine was flown 8 times for around 10-15 min each for a great day. -Tom
Old 05-16-2012, 01:01 PM
Heli-NuBee

Hey Tom,

I am also connected to the BH Corsair thread located at: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_95...11/key_/tm.htm. Maybe we should discuss the corsair issues over there? That thread has been inactive for a while though.

Roger

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.