Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Marvel Mystery Oil?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2013, 03:47 PM
mike31
My Feedback: (67)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Marvel Mystery Oil?

I have been using Corrosion X for years. No problems of any kind!
Old 06-18-2013, 03:56 PM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

CX is probably the best of all of them.
Old 06-18-2013, 04:03 PM
JKinTX

The Air Tool Oil inhibits corosion and won't mess up your glow plugs, the Marvel Mystery Oil will.

Old 06-18-2013, 04:52 PM
Lightspeed1551
My Feedback: (4)

My dad and I used strait MMO with great success. After every fly day we burn the remaining glow fuel out and add 3 carb fulls to the engine and turn it over a bunch to coat the internals well. When winter time comes we give them a bunch more and they always fire up next year. I have never seen or herd of it hardening or leaving any bad residue. It's a bearing life extender.
Old 06-18-2013, 06:47 PM
JKinTX

ORIGINAL: Lightspeed1551

My dad and I used strait MMO with great success. After every fly day we burn the remaining glow fuel out and add 3 carb fulls to the engine and turn it over a bunch to coat the internals well. When winter time comes we give them a bunch more and they always fire up next year. I have never seen or herd of it hardening or leaving any bad residue. It's a bearing life extender.
Ihave. How long do your glow plugs last?

Old 06-18-2013, 06:50 PM
tes21966

When I started in the hobby I bought the little bottles of After Run Oil. I was in a small engine shop and a gent there was using MMO and when I smelled it, I noticed the similar smell of my after run oil and after questioning the mechanic I just bought MMO to refill the little bottles as they became empty. I have since started using MMO Airtool and never had any problem at all with either of them. I always drain my fuel tank, run my engines dry, and make sure they are cool before I add MMO. I am sure I use more than is needed but compared to the cost of even a small it is cheap insurance.
Old 06-18-2013, 06:54 PM
JKinTX

ORIGINAL: tes21966

When I started in the hobby I bought the little bottles of After Run Oil. I was in a small engine shop and a gent there was using MMO and when I smelled it, I noticed the similar smell of my after run oil and after questioning the mechanic I just bought MMO to refill the little bottles as they became empty. I have since started using MMO Airtool and never had any problem at all with either of them. I always drain my fuel tank, run my engines dry, and make sure they are cool before I add MMO. I am sure I use more than is needed but compared to the cost of even a small it is cheap insurance.

The MarvelAir Tool Oil and MMO is NOTthe same!
Old 06-19-2013, 02:35 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

ORIGINAL: JKinTX

ORIGINAL: tes21966

The Marvel Air Tool Oil and MMO is NOT the same!
I don't believe he said they were the same.
Old 06-19-2013, 03:30 AM
Dan Vincent

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Years ago I asked George Aldrich what he used for an after run oil and he said "Marvel Air tool Oil"

Good enough for me and I've been using it ever since.
Old 06-19-2013, 03:53 AM
SrTelemaster150

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just use straight ATF.
Old 06-19-2013, 05:31 AM
raptureboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Never had that problem. I have even used it to dry outa wet distributer cap, but to each his own and whatever works for you. My popcorn is all done now
ORIGINAL: Sport_Pilot

ORIGINAL: raptureboy

ok. Since WD-40 stands for water dispersant # 40 and was invented to prevent corrosion on Nuculermissles would it not work in our engines? You can buy it in a non aerosol can and pour it right in. It is the same thingas air tool oil and I have used itin my nail guns for years.

Same as MMO, its just a cheap oil thined with mineral spirits. When the mineral spirits evaporats you have a very sticky oil that hardens. Makes a very good glue.
Old 06-19-2013, 06:12 AM
mkjohnston
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I found it at an autoparts store here in texas and I use it when I am not going to run my engines for a while.
Old 06-19-2013, 07:38 AM
All Day Dan
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are these oils you guys are discussing appropriate for gas engines too? Dan.
Old 06-19-2013, 08:28 AM
SteveR Rambin

Might not be a good idea to use Marvel Mystery Oil on a gas engine. From what I hear it will degrade the rings causing them to break.
Old 06-19-2013, 08:42 AM
jessiej

ORIGINAL: Dan Vincent

Years ago I asked George Aldrich what he used for an after run oil and he said ''Marvel Air tool Oil''

Good enough for me and I've been using it ever since.
The late Mr. Aldrich also recommended Rislone. I have used booth with excellent results.

As an aside engines run on fuels with a good dose of castor never seem to rust.

Jess
Old 06-19-2013, 08:46 AM
Hemikiller
My Feedback: (125)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I use synthetic air tool oil, as I have several YS engines.
Old 06-19-2013, 08:46 AM
cessna579

According to mmos web site the main difference between the air tool oil and the regular mmo is a heavy duty corrosion inhibitor in the air tool oil, I have also used the air tool oil for years in my engines and never had a problem. I know some guys in full scale who also use it in their two stroke ultralight engines as a additive to the regular mix.
Old 06-19-2013, 09:34 AM
Sport_Pilot

ORIGINAL: 1QwkSport2.5r

ORIGINAL: jmpups

I can't tell you that Marvel Mystery oil is good or bad to use as after run. The one thing I can tell you is that my first and last experience with this product was about 10 years ago when I thought I was doing A good thing with A OS108 motor that I wasn't going to use for a while. I fully lubricated the intake and exhaust ports with the Marvel oil, then put it in a plastic vacuum sealed bag. A year later when I opened the seal to use the motor I found a rusted solid frozen piston, the engine was completely seized up and useless. For what it's worth. jmpups
I have a feeling you were using more than 0-5% nitro and didn't allow the crankcase to vent sufficiently. The result is the marvel oil basically coated the parts locking the moisture and any nitric acid residue in. A guy I know had the same exact thing happen with a .25FX. I don't recall what oil he used exactly, but I believe it was an automotive mineral oil. Filled the engine completely with oil, dumped it out and stored it. Bearings rusted solid.

I suggest venting the crankcase of 2-strokes for a few days (piston at BDC) before loading with oil. This is my practice, though I use 5% nitro in all of my engines except one. I rarely use anything for storage in the 2-strokes as the castor does a good job of keeping stuff rust free. My Enya 60-4C got filled and stored full of ATF for the winter. Turns smooth as butter

That is the nature of any petroleum oil if there is moisture already on the surface. But if MMO is like WD-40 the oil will congeal and seize up you engine. I suspect soaking it in mineral spirits or gasoline would free it up.
Old 06-19-2013, 10:24 AM
toolmaker7341

ATF has resins to keep the clutchs from slipping after a shift. High performance ATF has even more resins. Not good for engines. Use air tool oil
Old 06-19-2013, 12:28 PM
jessiej

ORIGINAL: toolmaker7341

ATF has resins to keep the clutchs from slipping after a shift. High performance ATF has even more resins. Not good for engines. Use air tool oil
I have never been able to observe any ill effect from prolonged use of ATF as an after run (or for that matter as a general use light lubricant on guns, fishing reels, door hinges, ect.). I have heard however that type F as used in my 1968 Ford truck and now hard to find has a friction additive.

BTW, a google search for "Ed's Red" will turn up a formula for a quite effective and quite inexpensive gun cleaning solution that uses ATF as one of the principle ingredients. The principle disadvantage of the mix is the rather industrial smell. Worth checking out if you use large quantities of bore cleaner.

Jess
Old 06-19-2013, 01:01 PM
Sport_Pilot

I don't think the friction aditive is actually an resin. But an solvent that will cause the clutch to swell just a bit. But this is hearsay, I don't know for a fact one way or the other.
Old 06-19-2013, 01:20 PM
edh13
My Feedback: (9)

ORIGINAL: lasers200

Don't use in YS engines
+1... Or any pumped engine!
Old 06-19-2013, 01:56 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

The few times I use ATF, my engines don't seem to care. It goes in liquid, and comes out liquid. It does a decent job loosening carbon up too.

Old 06-19-2013, 02:56 PM
Lightspeed1551
My Feedback: (4)

I replace them yearly.
Old 06-19-2013, 05:20 PM
SrTelemaster150

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: SteveR Rambin

Might not be a good idea to use Marvel Mystery Oil on a gas engine. From what I hear it will degrade the rings causing them to break.
Somebody is pulling your leg.

How can oil degrade metal rings in a stored condition?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.