Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Thunder tiger ????

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2002, 05:45 PM
le fou
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thunder tiger ????

I was wondering if anybody can tell me if a thunder tiger 50 (heli version) works well. I read that they are not reliable but some say that they are ok. Is it because people don't take the time to break them in, like an old OS form 12 years ago ?

Thank you
Old 05-05-2002, 04:35 AM
FCC

Old 05-05-2002, 05:06 AM
Taildrager-inactive
My Feedback: (11)

Default TT engines

I as thousands of others believe TT engines are super, run well with lots of power, are a very good bang for the buck, and user friendly as well. I have a TT .46 pro that has 3 seasons of running most every weekend with no problems. With proper care a TT will last many years.
Old 05-05-2002, 05:23 AM
le fou
My Feedback: (12)

When you say proper care, do you mean anything special or just like any other engine ? Do I need to pay more attention during the break in (mount the engine on a bench, etc.) ?

Thank you for your help
Old 05-05-2002, 05:41 AM
Taildrager-inactive
My Feedback: (11)

I usually use a test stand where the engine can have plenty of air, use a break in prop, usually wood as they are lighter, if going in a plane, or installed in the chopper as there is plenty of open space in them without the body on. I usually break in with low nitro fuel per manufactures recommendations.
Old 05-07-2002, 06:22 AM
FCC

This post is to make clear some points for Moderator of this Forum about Thunder Tiger engines based on some facts and experience.

I had 2 new TT pro series engines out of which one PRO-61 lost the compression after 20 flights and the other PRO-46 got leaks in the caburator area due to which the engines sinks at full throttle and transition was also very unpredictable. The PRO-61 was break-in normally like OS and was never run leaner. The second I think had a factory defect as that engines was never crashed/abused.

I bought these engines because I was pumped up by the hobby dealer that they are as good as OS. After all this mess when I contacted Ace Hobby, first they denied that this can never happen and after some requests they asked me to send those-in. When I got back those, the PRO-61 doesn't show that much compression and power as compared to my OS 61SF which has more than 70 flights. The PRO-46 got the new crankcase and runs okay but the transition and starting is not satisfactory.

I think now these expalanations are enough for you and hopefully you will not delete this post.
Old 05-08-2002, 02:56 AM
poke

Default TT Pro 46

I have run a Pro 46 on my Super Sportster for two seasons with great results. Normal break-in. I would NOT trade it for an OS.
I am aware of no problems in my club with TT engines. In fact, I just purchased another for my Seamaster.
The only problem area is the support from ACE is greatly lacking.
Old 05-08-2002, 09:07 AM
f2racer

Default Quality Control...

First off let me say that I really like all 4 Thunder Tiger engines that I currently own. In fact my entire squadron is powered by TT right now. But I do believe that ALL manufacturers will have some bad engines that slip through quality control. My first Pro 46 was bought from a local hobby shop. It only turned a mild 12k rpm with a 10x6 prop. After I got my second through mail order which turned 14k with an 11x5 prop, I got a relacement from my LHS which ran great as well. I know of another club member that had some problems with his Pro 46, which he sent back to Ace who fixed the engine and he is entirely satisfied now. From what I've heard it's not uncommon in our hobby to get a dud every now and then.
Old 05-22-2002, 04:42 AM
AQ500

I have 2 Pro 46's, a Pro 25, a gp 25, and a gp 15. I have almost 25 years of combined use with these engines. I have nothing to complain about and all engines are still in use and running strong. I have never had to repair an airplane engine. I also have a Magnum 15XL, a Jett .50, a Rossi 45, and a Saito 65. Those engines have never had a problem either and run great. I fly twice a week. All motors have seen heavy use. I must either be extremely lucky or taking proper care (break-in, mixture adjustment, after-run) of a motor actually does work. I'm sure a bad motor will make it through once in a while, what are the odds of getting 2? If TT motors are as bad as some people think, they would be out of business.

The only motor I have lost was an OS buggy motor, I lost the filter while playing in the dirt and, well.....you know the rest.

The hobby is cheap if the equipment lasts.
Old 05-22-2002, 05:25 AM
MikeL
My Feedback: (3)

I've got two TTs, an FS54 and a heli .36. Some people like them, some people hate them. The heli engines in particular have proven to stir up negative responses. The general consensus is that the OS 50sx is a world-beater in that size class.

For what it's worth, my TTs are worth what I paid for them. $135 for the FS and $50 for the heli, both new.
Old 05-22-2002, 10:50 PM
Stewart-RCU

Default TT46

I have several TT46'S and they all run great. I use an OS 8 plug and 10% fuel. They seem to run even better with time.

Stewart
Old 05-22-2002, 11:58 PM
FUZZ

I have owned a Thunder Tiger pro.46 and I currently own a Pro .61 and they have always been very reliable and the power is very close to that of an OS FX series of engine. I do know some who have had some problems with them but for the most part I consider Thunder Tiger Pro series 2 stroke engines to be an excellent engine and also a great buy when compared to an OS FX. The down side is in my opinion, is the Thunder Tiger 4 stroke engine. I had a .91 and it lacked serious .91 size power in my opinion, but it did run well.

Johnny