Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Evolution engine, Need commend

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2004, 12:23 AM
049flyer
My Feedback: (18)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: Evolution engine, Need commend

I have had severe problems getting parts for the Evolution engines. Backorders go on for months! Anyone else have similar problems?
Old 06-27-2004, 11:50 PM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My TPS .45 is a screamer. No deadsticks no matter what I do to it. I'm running it with a APC 11x7 and removed the flywheel. My Xtra Easy 2 will take off in about 6 feet and climb out at a 45 degree angle, so I'm very happy with it. The only 2 deadsticks that it had were due to trash in the needle valve. After flushing it, no problems. I don't count those deadsticks as I trapped the trash and some of it were large bits. I get away with a lot of near stall condition flying near the ground because the engine always gets me out of trouble. I completely trust it so I take chances and have a ball with the plane.

The trick to starting it cold is to cover the carb and give it 4-5 turns with full throttle. It always starts with a bump from the starter. It won't pull the fuel unless you are at max throttle.

I bought the .46 NT today to replace a troublesome .46 FX. I'll fly it next weekend if another plane gets repaired. If not, it goes on the XE2 for a while and I'll have more fun.
Old 06-28-2004, 07:16 AM
Ed_Moorman
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Regarding the difference in the Evo and the Magnum, I have several different .46-.52 size engines, including an Evo .46 and a couple of Magnum .52s, and from what I can tell, the Evo must be made by the same people who make the Magnum. The carbs and the remote needle assembly appear to be the same, as does the general casting of the engine. That's what makes me think they were made in the same factory.

I could be wrong, but here is how I have it figured out.

I think there are probably 3 RC engine factories in China. One makes the Magnum for Hobby people in the US, the ASPs for the rest of the world, The SC (Super champ) engines and now, I think, the Evolution engines for Horizon. Maybe more.

Another makes GMS and probably the Tower and Aqua Craft engines, the Aqua Craft .46 being the Tower .46 with an aqua color anodized head and thrust washer for air boats. My GMS .47 and Tower .46 look a lot alike.

The 3rd factory makes Tiger Shark, the new SK engine for Kangke and probably the J'En .56 for Just Engines in the UK.
Old 06-28-2004, 08:02 PM
blw

One of the engine moderators wrote me and said that the Evo, Magnum, and ASP are from the same company.
Old 06-28-2004, 08:22 PM
William Robison

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Ed and BW:

SY machinery, in Red China makes three very well known brands, and several less popular engines.

The Magnum brand is well known here, and as you said, Ed, the ASP engines are from the same factory.

They also produce the SY engines, I understand that brand is well known in Oz. There are other less well known private label brands also.

Oh, the third very well known brand? RCV.

Bill.
Old 10-11-2004, 07:07 PM
ryans1000

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm new to RC flying, but I sure hope there are better motors out there than this. I have two planes both using the Evo TPS engines (Hangar 9 Xtra easy and Arrow)

Lots of deadsticks on both engines. I've been through 3.5 gallons, trying different fuels and different glow plugs and probably have over 20 dead sticks. The evo in the xtra easy ran pretty good after about 8 tanks of gas, lots of deadstick while it was probably still breaking in. It doesn't deadstick too much now but thats probably because i don't fly it slow. I've been trying a lot of slow flying in my Arrow recently experimenting with hovering and harriers and my Evo doesn't like that at all when i idle for a while and than give it a lot of juice quickly. I believe i have tuned them pretty good but i have stayed within the limiters. The evo tps on my arrow had its high speed needle in max lean position (against the limiter) from the factory - doesn't sound like a smart way to ship it.

Both engines are often poor in the transition from idle to full speed. I would not recommend them for 3d or slow flying, if you keep the speed up, like 1/3 throttle or more they do pretty good.

I have an .77 MVVS coming tomorrow, we'll see how that compares. I'm not complaining, its a cheap engine that came with my RTF's, I hope there is better out there and I won't look back on them. Deadsticks are dangerous and often cost you time and money for repairs.
Old 10-11-2004, 07:26 PM
bubbagates
My Feedback: (32)

Thunder Tiger or my personal favorite is OS

ORIGINAL: ryans1000

I'm new to RC flying, but I sure hope there are better motors out there than this. I have two planes both using the Evo TPS engines (Hangar 9 Xtra easy and Arrow)

Lots of deadsticks on both engines. I've been through 3.5 gallons, trying different fuels and different glow plugs and probably have over 20 dead sticks. The evo in the xtra easy ran pretty good after about 8 tanks of gas, lots of deadstick while it was probably still breaking in. It doesn't deadstick too much now but thats probably because i don't fly it slow. I've been trying a lot of slow flying in my Arrow recently experimenting with hovering and harriers and my Evo doesn't like that at all when i idle for a while and than give it a lot of juice quickly. I believe i have tuned them pretty good but i have stayed within the limiters. The evo tps on my arrow had its high speed needle in max lean position (against the limiter) from the factory - doesn't sound like a smart way to ship it.

Both engines are often poor in the transition from idle to full speed. I would not recommend them for 3d or slow flying, if you keep the speed up, like 1/3 throttle or more they do pretty good.

I have an .77 MVVS coming tomorrow, we'll see how that compares. I'm not complaining, its a cheap engine that came with my RTF's, I hope there is better out there and I won't look back on them. Deadsticks are dangerous and often cost you time and money for repairs.
Old 11-22-2009, 09:15 PM
barndawg77

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A friend of mine has a 81" wingspan cub with floats...and it flys with a evo .46. Runs smooth, transitions smooth, idles all day long, makes TONS of power. I didn't believe him when he said it had that small of an engine on it!