Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

after run oil

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2004, 01:04 AM
impactiq
My Feedback: (57)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: after run oil

Hasn't failed me yet! When it is time to put my engines up for the season,or not going to use a one for a while..., I take out the plug, remove muffler and carb. Literally fill it up with oil. Put it in a zip lock bag and forget about it till the time comes to use it again.

BTW: I use 5-7 drops of oil when the day is over. Maybe I should of put that instead of a "few"
Old 04-18-2004, 10:12 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

How much oil to use? On a two cycle, half a teaspoon or so is usually adequate and can be put into any of the orfices-carb,goplug or exhaust. On a 4 cycle, more oil is required and the bulk of that must be put into the crankcase breather tube in order to do any good. Once the oil is inserted, the engine must have the prop shaft turned over a few times with the engine also rotated to get the oil into all the right places. Unless you displace all the residuals from combustion and blow by, you are not doing much good by putting in a few drops of oil. Any nito residue will react with any water vapor and create an acid which does wonders in roughing up your bearings and wear surfaces. If you leave any alcohol, it will attract water vapor and create more rust. So, put in enough oil to displace the unwanted products and make sure it coats all parts of the engine interior. The oil is not magic, you must distribute it to get any good out of it.
Old 04-18-2004, 08:54 PM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any nito residue will react with any water vapor and create an acid
Nitro can cause corrosion, but not that way. Nitro does not react with water. It is mildly acidic on its own right, I think the Ph is about 6.7 or so. But mostly partially burned nitro forms a small amount of nitric acid which is very corrosive and poisonous, but is very unstable and most of that burns off on its own. Almost none (maybe none at all) of it gets in the crankcase of a two stroke, and very little gets into a four stroke.