Search
Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Thunder Tiger: Does It ABC or ABN?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2005, 12:40 AM
Rupurt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Thunder Tiger: Does It ABC or ABN?

I have a tt39 in my raptor and i like it, you can also almost get two for the price of an os 37. I think most engine problems are likely to actually be people problems.
Old 05-30-2005, 06:33 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Remember that the distributor is the one that is usually communicated with when there is a problem with an engine.

I doubt that OS made any public comments regarding the liner peeling issue in the US. It is most likely that it was the importer of the OS engine line that made the mistake of denying problems with certain OS engines.

I happen to like this distributor for the most part, so I'm not picking on them. Everyone makes mistakes. This one cost them quite a few sales because of disgruntled customers. It also provided an opening for Asian engines being accepted in the US that may not have existed otherwise. They paid for their mistake.

Let's not blame OS for something that they most likely did not do.

Ed Cregger
Old 05-30-2005, 08:36 AM
IronCross

ORIGINAL: Ed Cregger

Remember that the distributor is the one that is usually communicated with when there is a problem with an engine.

I doubt that OS made any public comments regarding the liner peeling issue in the US. It is most likely that it was the importer of the OS engine line that made the mistake of denying problems with certain OS engines.

I happen to like this distributor for the most part, so I'm not picking on them. Everyone makes mistakes. This one cost them quite a few sales because of disgruntled customers. It also provided an opening for Asian engines being accepted in the US that may not have existed otherwise. They paid for their mistake.

Let's not blame OS for something that they most likely did not do.

Ed Cregger
And who would have to eat the cost of replacement parts if they admitted the problem ?... OS! The distributor is just caught in the middle... I ran a service department for years... Seen it happen many times...
Old 05-30-2005, 09:35 AM
Jazzy

FOR ALL OF THE, "Mine is better than yours!" PEOPLE, I URGE YOU TO CHECK OUT THE FOLLOWING ARTICLES.

A few years back Dave Gierke did a .40 and .60 size engine shootout in MAN.
Check out the issues online and dispell or confirm your myths.

For everyone else, buy and fly what you are partial too!

I don't know how the newer Mag engines run but the older ones were so-so.
O.S. engines are very good engines but way overpriced.
TT engines offer excellent power and reliability at a reasonable price.

As eluded to in previous postings, the occasional manufacturing defect is bound to happen. Oops. Someone just got a bum engine. Sorry. Feces occurs.

For a new engine buyer the important thing to watch out for is an engine line that continually exhibits problematic traits.

Sometimes there is an "engineering oversight" with an engine line that can be easily fixed by someone who WANTS to take the time and effort to do it.

Essentially, reliability and ease of use are the main issues. After that comes the particular traits that engines posses to aid in selection.

I own a bunch of TT engines and aside form a carb mod on my 54 FS, have had NO PROBLEMS WHATSOEVER. Often they run just as good or better than most at the field. I don't see any issues here!
Don't worry about ABN unless its O.S.

Jeff
Old 05-30-2005, 04:09 PM
NM2K

I would think that it would depend upon how the contract between the sole importer and OS was written.

I have heard of instances where the sole distributor assumes all liability for warranty repairs. It is even possible that OS made additional money selling the sole distributor new parts for repair of the existing engines with problems. Doubtful, but it could have happened.

I am not placing OS on a pedastal and saying that they could not possibly be at fault. Obviously, they were, but I suspect that it was the sole importer that denied the claims and stated that there were no defects. In truth, I know nothing as fact. Nor does anyone else that was not involved directly with the two companies and their legal representatives.

Were I an individual with a defective FX engine, I would probably hold a grudge too if they told me that what problem there was, was probably my fault. I had the same thing happen with a brand new 1974 Honda 360 motorcycle. I still won't buy anything made by them.

Ed Cregger
Old 05-30-2005, 04:23 PM
NM2K

I agree with Jeff.

I buy all of the brands. In fact, I just ordered a new SK .80, just to see how it fares.

The problem that occurred with OS SX engines a while back is relatively rare. The fact that it occurred to OS brings forth the notion that it can, indeed, happen to anyone. No one is immune to having an occasional problem now and then.

With all of that said, I have bought a Webra .50 GT, a Thunder Tiger .15 GP, a GMS .32 ABC, an OS FS-30 four-stroke and the SK .80 so far this year. Oh, and a Zenoah G26 - again...

What is important with any engine is how it is broken-in and subsequently treated during its life. Models crash occasionally. Sometimes engines are damaged. It happens, so we won't go into that at the moment.

No engine was ever hurt by being ran slightly rich. No engine was ever damaged by using slightly more oil than the recommended minimum. No engine was ever hurt by running less than the maximum amount of recommended level of nitromethane. No engine was ever hurt by running the Manufacturer's recommended prop size. No engine was ever hurt by the use of too much after-run lubrication, as long as that lube was of the proper type for the given engine, and the engine was not hydraulically locked and turned over. No engine was ever hurt by having too much cooling air. These are really simple devices, once understood.

Were I a newbie to the hobby and looking for a first .46 size engine, I would go with a Thunder Tiger .46, or the Super Tigre GS-40, if the engine was only expected to pull the typical forty sized ARF trainer around. I would wait a while before buying an expensive engine. I would also skip right over the OS and other brands of plain bearing engines. Too weak and not versatile enough to power later models.

Ed Cregger
Old 01-23-2023, 02:59 PM
Lifer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Does anybody have a Pro .36, new or good condition used for sale? Or, a piston/cylinder assembly for sale?