Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Welcome to Club SAITO !

Old 12-29-2013, 03:16 PM
  #25951  
Rudolph Hart
 
Rudolph Hart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Perth, AUSTRALIA
Posts: 4,383
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Hi mate hope chrissy and the new year are good to you.Making some proper oleo legs for the mew gull early next year,the standard ones are borderline.It sure sounds nice with the big 220 up front.

Edit/ this was in reply to a question from 'the pope' which went 'poof' and disappeared.

Last edited by Rudolph Hart; 12-29-2013 at 11:28 PM.
Old 12-29-2013, 10:40 PM
  #25952  
Ernie Misner
 
Ernie Misner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Tacoma, WA
Posts: 5,037
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

I fly at 2 different fields where there is a change in elevation. I find that for perfection on the low speed needle it can take a small tweak between the two fields. Otherwise it would be set it and forget it situation with my 82.Does the turbo muffler still make good tank pressure if there is no baffle in the muffler? Thanks and Happy New Year to all the Saito gang!
Old 12-29-2013, 11:36 PM
  #25953  
Rudolph Hart
 
Rudolph Hart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Perth, AUSTRALIA
Posts: 4,383
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Ernie i'd like to hear other user opinions too,it would be interesting.As far as mine go,i run a turboheader on one of my 82's which is in a 46 size decathlon.I also run a turboheader muffler on a saito fa220 which is in a mew gull.I've never noticed any difference re fuel feed or lack of,works fine.From memory the muffler on the 82 definitly has a baffle but the larger muffler for the 220 does not.Makes a nice deep bark too.
Old 12-30-2013, 05:55 AM
  #25954  
bob62
My Feedback: (28)
 
bob62's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Bay City, TX
Posts: 474
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

I run the new muffler on a 150 that the baffle came loose. It seems to run the same as the one with the baffle
Old 12-31-2013, 02:07 PM
  #25955  
smkrcflyer
 
smkrcflyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Hamburg, PA
Posts: 1,013
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

I just replaced the bearings on my 90T (old version). Is there a way to check if I have the timing set correctly between the left and right cylinders? I'm not sure the valves are opening and closing at the correct time.
Old 12-31-2013, 05:13 PM
  #25956  
SrTelemaster150
Senior Member
 
SrTelemaster150's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Brasher Falls, NY
Posts: 3,904
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by smkrcflyer
I just replaced the bearings on my 90T (old version). Is there a way to check if I have the timing set correctly between the left and right cylinders? I'm not sure the valves are opening and closing at the correct time.
You should be able to use the same procecure as the 100T. http://www.horizonhobby.com/pdf/SAIT...oke_Manual.pdf
Old 01-01-2014, 04:52 AM
  #25957  
smkrcflyer
 
smkrcflyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Hamburg, PA
Posts: 1,013
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by SrTelemaster150
You should be able to use the same procecure as the 100T. http://www.horizonhobby.com/pdf/SAIT...oke_Manual.pdf
In this procedure the engine needs to be taken apart. I was trying not to do that.
Old 01-01-2014, 07:20 AM
  #25958  
SrTelemaster150
Senior Member
 
SrTelemaster150's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Brasher Falls, NY
Posts: 3,904
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by smkrcflyer
In this procedure the engine needs to be taken apart. I was trying not to do that.
Let me think about this.

I'm sure that it can be done W/O dismantling the engine.

Is this the 90T or 90TS?

Last edited by SrTelemaster150; 01-01-2014 at 07:27 AM.
Old 01-01-2014, 08:06 AM
  #25959  
smkrcflyer
 
smkrcflyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Hamburg, PA
Posts: 1,013
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Its the 90T. I should be able to check the valve operation when compared to the piston location and to each cylinder. Are the two cylinders 180 deg out of cycle?
Old 01-01-2014, 08:38 AM
  #25960  
SrTelemaster150
Senior Member
 
SrTelemaster150's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Brasher Falls, NY
Posts: 3,904
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by smkrcflyer
Its the 90T. I should be able to check the valve operation when compared to the piston location and to each cylinder. Are the two cylinders 180 deg out of cycle?
Yes, they are 180 firing order. The left cylinder (viewed from the front) will have the same timing marks as a single & it is timed by placing the dot on the cam gear @ the 6:00 position. (or 3:00 viewed from the front)

Rotate the crank 180 & set the other cam W/the line @ 6:00. (9:00 viewed from the front)

The trick is to accurately measure TDC. I would use a piston stop & a 360 degree wheel. If you only have a 180 degree wheel, set the left cylinder @ 90 on the left extreme, then rotate 180 to 90 @ the right extreme.

Last edited by SrTelemaster150; 01-01-2014 at 08:44 AM.
Old 01-01-2014, 08:51 AM
  #25961  
smkrcflyer
 
smkrcflyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Hamburg, PA
Posts: 1,013
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by SrTelemaster150
Yes, they are 180 firing order. The left cylinder (viewed from the front) will have the same timing marks as a single & it is timed by placing the dot on the cam gear @ the 6:00 position. (or 3:00 viewed from the front)

Rotate the crank 180 & set the other cam W/the line @ 6:00. (9:00 viewed from the front)

The trick is to accurately measure TDC. I would use a piston stop & a 360 degree wheel. If you only have a 180 degree wheel, set the left cylinder @ 90 on the left extreme, then rotate 180 to 90 @ the right extreme.


Thank you this is good information.
Old 01-01-2014, 10:32 AM
  #25962  
SrTelemaster150
Senior Member
 
SrTelemaster150's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Brasher Falls, NY
Posts: 3,904
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by smkrcflyer
Thank you this is good information.
The reason why the twins have different cams/marks is that the right cylinder runs "backwaerds" as far as the cam lobes. The intake & exhaust ports are reversed on the cylinder so the cam lobes are switched front/rear basically making for a "reverse" cam. They say the the "reverse" twin cam can be used to make a counter-rotating single. If tht is the case then the cams on the twins could be swapped side/side to make a counter-rotating twin.
Old 01-01-2014, 12:35 PM
  #25963  
triumphman49
My Feedback: (149)
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Decatur, AL
Posts: 498
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Happy New Year to all the Saito fans here, Thought I might mention, think it's the FA90TS that has the offset cylinders, . . . i.e., the 180 degree firing order.

T-man49 in Al
Saito #723
Old 01-02-2014, 01:31 PM
  #25964  
rc lifer
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Clarksville TN
Posts: 87
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Can you actually wear a Saito engine out. I have seen lots of abused Saitos and crashed Saitos but never a worn out Saito. Thats a Testimony to the design and excellence of the manufacturing. That is just my experience, but what have you seen?
Lately I have been running a .40a in a plane called an Attack 20 from World Models,a 49" shoulder wing sport flyer. I have an APC 12.75 by 3.75 prop hung on it and it pulls the 3.7 lb airframe quite well. Anybody else flying the 40a? What props have you tried? I am not interested in going fast, thank you. I run 20 or 30% Cool Power, usually 30.
Old 01-02-2014, 01:36 PM
  #25965  
nute12
Senior Member
My Feedback: (14)
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Lynden, WA
Posts: 327
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

i wore a .91 out, took me 4 seasons of hard flying to do it tho. finally just run out of compression, and i could not start it. sold it to a buddy for a half rack of beer and help( he had to help drink it) and he put a new ring and bearings in it. its 9 years old now and still runs great.
Old 01-02-2014, 01:50 PM
  #25966  
Jim Branaum
My Feedback: (3)
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Fair Oaks Ranch, TX
Posts: 2,635
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by nute12
i wore a .91 out, took me 4 seasons of hard flying to do it tho. finally just run out of compression, and i could not start it. sold it to a buddy for a half rack of beer and help( he had to help drink it) and he put a new ring and bearings in it. its 9 years old now and still runs great.
I did that to a .50 and a .56, but *I* did the work and still have the engines....just cheap I guess
Old 01-02-2014, 01:52 PM
  #25967  
nute12
Senior Member
My Feedback: (14)
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Lynden, WA
Posts: 327
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

i switched over to giants.........saito's were just sittin anyhow.
Old 01-02-2014, 02:16 PM
  #25968  
FNQFLYER
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Cairns, AUSTRALIA
Posts: 1,053
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Yes 've seen "worn out Saitos, mostly 50's and 65's in competition use. They are so good a bearing and ring change (as applicable) is all that is usually required to bring them back. Though I once got a bore flash hard chromed as an experiment, good idea but not really necessary.
Now mySaito activities are at a halt, the 40 degree C temperatures with 70+ humidity are playing havoc with performance figures. So aircond and internet trolling is the activity of choice at this time
Old 01-02-2014, 02:32 PM
  #25969  
nute12
Senior Member
My Feedback: (14)
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Lynden, WA
Posts: 327
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

precisely wy i went to electric up to 1.2 ci planes and gas over. cost and availability of glow fuel had some bearing on my switch. I love the saitos..........i hate the slime and fuel acquisition
Old 01-02-2014, 05:13 PM
  #25970  
FNQFLYER
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Cairns, AUSTRALIA
Posts: 1,053
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Gee I am glad I live in OZ, fuel costs aren't as bad as elsewhere (for model a/c i/c engines that is) the only problem that I have really is with crappy nitro. I occassionally get access to the drag racing fraternity suppliers and when I can I as much nitro as the bank a/c will stand otherwise if I have to use the chinese source I freeze the nitro before I mix it.
Old 01-03-2014, 07:56 PM
  #25971  
Jim Branaum
My Feedback: (3)
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Fair Oaks Ranch, TX
Posts: 2,635
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by FNQFLYER
Gee I am glad I live in OZ, fuel costs aren't as bad as elsewhere (for model a/c i/c engines that is) the only problem that I have really is with crappy nitro. I occassionally get access to the drag racing fraternity suppliers and when I can I as much nitro as the bank a/c will stand otherwise if I have to use the chinese source I freeze the nitro before I mix it.
Is that to get the water out?
Old 01-04-2014, 04:40 AM
  #25972  
Rudolph Hart
 
Rudolph Hart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Perth, AUSTRALIA
Posts: 4,383
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by bob62
I run the new muffler on a 150 that the baffle came loose. It seems to run the same as the one with the baffle
Bob do you mean you ran the same needle settings?
Old 01-04-2014, 04:45 AM
  #25973  
Rudolph Hart
 
Rudolph Hart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Perth, AUSTRALIA
Posts: 4,383
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Jim Branaum
Is that to get the water out?
Nup..it's to cool his beer
Old 01-04-2014, 04:55 AM
  #25974  
Rudolph Hart
 
Rudolph Hart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Perth, AUSTRALIA
Posts: 4,383
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Dave hav'nt heard from you for a while on here hope you arn't suffering to bad from an attack of unappreciative youngsters.What do you think the practical limits of nitro percentages vs performance benefits are,in any saito engine you like.I ask because i'm in an unusual position re power.I've tried up to 40% in a 62 a long while back but never wrote any figures down.Anybodys thoughts??
Old 01-04-2014, 07:19 AM
  #25975  
RC Specialties
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Zachary, LA
Posts: 828
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Happy New Year everybody!

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.