Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Welcome to Club SAITO !

Old 11-20-2013, 04:32 AM
  #25701  
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)
 
Hobbsy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Colonial Beach, VA
Posts: 20,370
Likes: 0
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
Default

Dan, I still want to install a C&H Ignition on y 1.50. I need a new prop driver and Adrian's sensor. I have the stock intake on it now.
Old 11-20-2013, 07:42 AM
  #25702  
SrTelemaster150
Senior Member
 
SrTelemaster150's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Brasher Falls, NY
Posts: 3,904
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Hobbsy
Dan, I still want to install a C&H Ignition on y 1.50. I need a new prop driver and Adrian's sensor. I have the stock intake on it now.
Just take the magnet out of your present hub & re-use it. Drill through from the opposite side & use a pin punch to knock the magnet out.

Balance won't be affected enough to worry about. Go ahead & get both the magnet ring & sensor mount. They are available seperately from the module.

After you lean out the carburetor, don't be afraid to crank the advance to her. Start @ 34 BTDC & then try about 2 more. If RPM doesn't increase, go back to 34. If it does increase try 2 more, repeat until you reach peak RPM.
Old 11-20-2013, 01:37 PM
  #25703  
blw
My Feedback: (3)
 
blw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Opelika, AL
Posts: 9,447
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by w8ye
I had a 82B that I made from a "A". Glenn has it now. He keeps throwing the prop because he runs it too lean.
I think he runs them all too lean. I don't offer much advice anymore.
Old 11-20-2013, 02:20 PM
  #25704  
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)
 
w8ye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Shelby, OH
Posts: 37,576
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default

He watches for smoke and tunes them to where the smoke is gone
Old 11-20-2013, 04:55 PM
  #25705  
hsukaria
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Dearborn, MI
Posts: 3,216
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by w8ye
He watches for smoke and tunes them to where the smoke is gone
Remind me to never buy a used engine from him!!
Old 11-20-2013, 05:31 PM
  #25706  
Rudolph Hart
 
Rudolph Hart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Perth, AUSTRALIA
Posts: 4,383
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

It keeps them mean and clean.There's a fine line between pleasure and pain somebody once sang.
Old 11-20-2013, 06:43 PM
  #25707  
SrTelemaster150
Senior Member
 
SrTelemaster150's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Brasher Falls, NY
Posts: 3,904
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by w8ye
He watches for smoke and tunes them to where the smoke is gone

You can pretty much achieve that W/CDI on the top end. They still need to smoke a little in the midrange though.

Funny thing with my FA200Ti though. Try as I might, I could not get significantly more power W/CDI over GI, maybe 100 RPM, too little to be of any consequence. I did however go from 7 minute WOT run time on 12 oz of 15% Cool Power, to 12 minutes. I'll take that any day.

I need to try some straight methanol/oil mix to see if there is an appreciable power drop. Getting rid of the nitro will further improve fuel economy.
Old 11-21-2013, 03:26 PM
  #25708  
FNQFLYER
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Cairns, AUSTRALIA
Posts: 1,053
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Mike having been there done that (but still to un pack) I emphasise, BUT it is a great time to take an inventory of ALL of your stuff, I have found all sorts of stuff including missing engines, kits and data not to mention tools etc, look at it as a good time to re acquaint yourself with your modelling. On the bright JG et al have gone and there is a strong OT fraternity at Belconnen Club, Grant Manwarring in particular. Get on to him through SAM 1788
Old 11-21-2013, 03:34 PM
  #25709  
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)
 
Hobbsy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Colonial Beach, VA
Posts: 20,370
Likes: 0
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
Default

Did you find all your Saitos, that's the most important thing of all.
Old 11-21-2013, 05:33 PM
  #25710  
Charley
My Feedback: (2)
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Kerrville, TX
Posts: 2,127
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by SrTelemaster150

I need to try some straight methanol/oil mix to see if there is an appreciable power drop. Getting rid of the nitro will further improve fuel economy.
Run it on gas at 16:1 gas : oil mix. It worked for me.

CR
Old 11-21-2013, 06:52 PM
  #25711  
SrTelemaster150
Senior Member
 
SrTelemaster150's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Brasher Falls, NY
Posts: 3,904
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Charley
Run it on gas at 16:1 gas : oil mix. It worked for me.

CR
Sigh, here we go again.

Methanol will make 25% to 55% more power over gasoline & I don't want the smell, increased carbon build-up & higher operating temperatures that will eventually decrease engine life.


If you want an example of the HP difference, my FA180HC running on 15% Cool Power fired off @ 35 BTDC W/CH Ignitions CDI will make 3.4 HP. (8450 RPM W/an 18 X 8 prop).. That's about 36% more HP that the 2.5 HP produced by the Saito FG30. If I tip the nitro to 30%, the HP increases to 3.9. (8850 RPM W/an 18 X 8 prop) Now we are talking a 56% increase in HP over the gas version FG30.

Besides, if i mix my own, methanol is about 1/2 the price of gasoline.

Last edited by SrTelemaster150; 11-22-2013 at 04:59 AM.
Old 11-22-2013, 05:21 AM
  #25712  
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)
 
Hobbsy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Colonial Beach, VA
Posts: 20,370
Likes: 0
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
Default

Dan, do you have any numbers from using 0% nitro methane, that would be an interesting piece of knowledge. I am inclined to think it would still out power stink o line.
Old 11-22-2013, 05:51 AM
  #25713  
Charley
My Feedback: (2)
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Kerrville, TX
Posts: 2,127
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by SrTelemaster150
Sigh, here we go again.

Methanol will make 25% to 55% more power over gasoline & I don't want the smell, increased carbon build-up & higher operating temperatures that will eventually decrease engine life.


If you want an example of the HP difference, my FA180HC running on 15% Cool Power fired off @ 35 BTDC W/CH Ignitions CDI will make 3.4 HP. (8450 RPM W/an 18 X 8 prop).. That's about 36% more HP that the 2.5 HP produced by the Saito FG30. If I tip the nitro to 30%, the HP increases to 3.9. (8850 RPM W/an 18 X 8 prop) Now we are talking a 56% increase in HP over the gas version FG30.

Besides, if i mix my own, methanol is about 1/2 the price of gasoline.
Well look,

You say alky will produce more power but then you give examples using high nitro content. I ran my FA-150 on reg gas & Klotz Super Technoplate @ 16:1 all one season with a CH ignition. It was down a couple hundred RPM at WOT compared to 10% Omega with the same timing. The engine was (still is) in a Ace 4-120 Bipe; seldom used or needed WOT. I've never been a fan of high nitro mixes to wring out every rev. What I want is reliability. Anyway, it worked for me..

CR
Old 11-22-2013, 06:43 AM
  #25714  
Rudolph Hart
 
Rudolph Hart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Perth, AUSTRALIA
Posts: 4,383
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Sounds like good advice charley will be doing the same to an fa220 in the future for my mew gull.
Old 11-22-2013, 02:50 PM
  #25715  
Charley
My Feedback: (2)
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Kerrville, TX
Posts: 2,127
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Old Fart
Sounds like good advice charley will be doing the same to an fa220 in the future for my mew gull.
It'll be great to hear how it works out for you. BTW, I used the stock carb. It came in handy that the Saito needles have such fine threads.

CR
Old 11-22-2013, 02:58 PM
  #25716  
triumphman49
My Feedback: (149)
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Decatur, AL
Posts: 498
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Sr is rite concerning the meth issue, but note the designation used after the FA180 HC - high compression - been modified - so not really apples to apples. Personally, like Charley, a couple of hundred RPM usually doesn't mean a lot of difference to me. I've got a FA150 with 2 different manifolds - stock carb\Walbro carb (CHI conversion) and FA270T with RCxel & stock carb. Probably be Spring before I decide which way I really perfer to run.

T-man49
Saito #723
Old 11-22-2013, 03:01 PM
  #25717  
triumphman49
My Feedback: (149)
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Decatur, AL
Posts: 498
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Charley, Great to hear that you have been able to utilize the stock carb using petrol.

T-man49
Old 11-22-2013, 03:07 PM
  #25718  
FNQFLYER
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Cairns, AUSTRALIA
Posts: 1,053
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Old Fart whose Mew Gull you got. A Seagull or one of the ones from Rocky.
Old 11-22-2013, 04:38 PM
  #25719  
Charley
My Feedback: (2)
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Kerrville, TX
Posts: 2,127
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by triumphman49
Charley, Great to hear that you have been able to utilize the stock carb using petrol.
T-man49
I should add that I used muffler pressure, as you would on glow. Found out the hard way that Tygon gas fuel tubing melts when attached to a muffler pressure nipple (duh). So I used a piece of silicone fuel tubing at the muffler, to a inline fuel filter and then to the gas fuel tubing connected to the tank.

CR
Old 11-22-2013, 05:18 PM
  #25720  
SrTelemaster150
Senior Member
 
SrTelemaster150's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Brasher Falls, NY
Posts: 3,904
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Hobbsy
Dan, do you have any numbers from using 0% nitro methane, that would be an interesting piece of knowledge. I am inclined to think it would still out power stink o line.
No I don't, but it is a fact that given the stoiciometric a/f ratios of methanol Vs gasoline, methanol has about 27% more energy available.

Why do drag racers run fuel (methanol) to make more power?

Last edited by SrTelemaster150; 11-22-2013 at 05:33 PM.
Old 11-22-2013, 05:28 PM
  #25721  
Rudolph Hart
 
Rudolph Hart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Perth, AUSTRALIA
Posts: 4,383
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Thanks for mentioning the tygon fuel tubing.In all the excitement small details like that can ruin a good days flying.

fnq the mew gull is seagulls 72" arf version and i'll be flying it scale with some mild aeros.The fa220 is in it and has been run,but i hav'nt flown it yet as there's a lot of stuff left to do before that happens.There's a youtube vid of one flying with a fa180 in it i think,engine seems more than adequate.

ps plus i'm busy riding my new black ducati gt1000
Old 11-22-2013, 05:33 PM
  #25722  
RC_Fanatic
My Feedback: (1)
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Sutter Creek, CA
Posts: 1,042
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by SrTelemaster150
No I don't, but it is a fact that given the stoiciometric a/f ratios of methanol Vs gasoline, methanol has about 27% more energy available.

Why do drtag racers run fuel (methanol) to make more power?
They run pure nitro. Should we be doing the same?
Old 11-22-2013, 05:47 PM
  #25723  
SrTelemaster150
Senior Member
 
SrTelemaster150's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Brasher Falls, NY
Posts: 3,904
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by RC_Fanatic
They run pure nitro. Should we be doing the same?
No they don't. They run varying % of nitro/methanol. Methanpol alone has 27% more power available than gasoline.

Aside from that, many are running E-85 now to make more HP over gasoline.
Old 11-22-2013, 05:51 PM
  #25724  
SrTelemaster150
Senior Member
 
SrTelemaster150's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Brasher Falls, NY
Posts: 3,904
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Charley
Well look,

You say alky will produce more power but then you give examples using high nitro content. I ran my FA-150 on reg gas & Klotz Super Technoplate @ 16:1 all one season with a CH ignition. It was down a couple hundred RPM at WOT compared to 10% Omega with the same timing. The engine was (still is) in a Ace 4-120 Bipe; seldom used or needed WOT. I've never been a fan of high nitro mixes to wring out every rev. What I want is reliability. Anyway, it worked for me..

CR
If you are running the same ignition timing W/methanol & gasoline, you are leaving another 150-200 RPM on the table. The difference will be more like 350 RPM.

Methanol MUST have about 8 more advance to take advantage of the higher relative octane & slower flame propagation.

This is a commom mistake.
Old 11-22-2013, 05:56 PM
  #25725  
SrTelemaster150
Senior Member
 
SrTelemaster150's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Brasher Falls, NY
Posts: 3,904
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by triumphman49
Sr is rite concerning the meth issue, but note the designation used after the FA180 HC - high compression - been modified - so not really apples to apples. Personally, like Charley, a couple of hundred RPM usually doesn't mean a lot of difference to me. I've got a FA150 with 2 different manifolds - stock carb\Walbro carb (CHI conversion) and FA270T with RCxel & stock carb. Probably be Spring before I decide which way I really perfer to run.

T-man49
Saito #723
Note that the in the tests below, my stock FA180 made just under 3HP (8050 RPM W/an 18 X 8 prop) that is 20% more than the Saito spec of 2.5HP for the FG30 & a LOT more than real world results for th FG30.


http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1769449

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.