Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Welcome to Club SAITO !

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2014, 09:34 AM
SrTelemaster150

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rv7garage
Ok- I looked at CH ignitions' website and don't see anything applicable to a Saito 120R3 unfortunately.
Call Adrian. The module will be the same as the FA-450R3. There will already be hall sensor mounts that will fit. Adrian will have to fabricate a magnet ring if he hasn't done so already.

He won't charge extra for prototype work.
Old 04-20-2014, 10:39 AM
Rv7garage
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't think I'm going to bother for the moment. I just ran my new 120R3 on the test stand for the first time, and on he 2nd tank I'm already tuned to where she will give me 9200rpm with a 14x6 prop, and will idle at 1900rpm for over 2 minutes without dropping a cylinder. I love my Saitos!

Also, the Keleo ring sounds most excellent
Old 04-20-2014, 07:24 PM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Originally Posted by MAAC
You need a check list in your vehicle to May a last minute check as you leave for the field.
tranmitter
plane
hatch
field box
Battery
hat
shades
sun block
repelent
field key
etc
I could have used that checklist last week!!!
Old 04-21-2014, 01:33 AM
Rudolph Hart

That's a pretty good list,does the repellant work on hordes of helicopters at your favourite field on sundays (just in case the can has a use by date) it's got to the stage that you feel like going down for the day and doing a bit of trap shooting to thin them out a bit.Actually about an hour would do it and if you missed one the owner is always closer

Plus one on kelvins service!
Old 04-21-2014, 05:06 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

That reminds me, I should probably take my Lipos and give them a check on the charger to see if they are all ready to go too. I still have to put the Twin Otter on a charger too, though it probably wont need it since it was fully charged after my last flight. Never know what the cold will do though.

Thankfully no one flies helis at my field, but there are a couple really big 3D planes. Of all the times I have flown there, there were never more than 2 planes up at one time.
Old 04-22-2014, 06:50 AM
rc lifer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default parts

Hey Slam Sam I check eBay first, lots of retailers with Saito parts. I just spent a hundred bucks on parts from Bujold Hobbies. I have purchased from many different suppliers, whoever has the parts I need. Good luck.

Last edited by rc lifer; 04-22-2014 at 06:51 AM. Reason: add to
Old 04-22-2014, 07:16 AM
skypup50

Originally Posted by Rv7garage
I don't think I'm going to bother for the moment. I just ran my new 120R3 on the test stand for the first time, and on he 2nd tank I'm already tuned to where she will give me 9200rpm with a 14x6 prop, and will idle at 1900rpm for over 2 minutes without dropping a cylinder. I love my Saitos!

Also, the Keleo ring sounds most excellent

Would that engine fit under a 7" radial cowl? I have a Dave Platt 1/6 (smaller Waco Biplane kit). Thanks.
Old 04-22-2014, 07:19 AM
Rv7garage

I'll measure when I get home and get back to you later. I think it would fit...
Old 04-22-2014, 08:08 AM
Rv7garage

Skypup- looks like it should fit, but YMMV ya know...

Saito's specs for the motor are 168mm overall circumference (=6.62 inches), and a depth of 129mm from mount to front of prop drive (=5.1 inches).

Hope this helps
Old 04-22-2014, 08:33 AM
blw

Somebody donated a trainer for a fund raising event when our field hosted the SPA. We had several paintball guns and bought a few thousand rounds of paintballs. Airplanes are hard to hit. The trainer took at least 50 hits, some right through the wings, etc. Hitting the fuselage sides gave a satisfying 'whack' sound. The nose wheel was hit with a pink round. An elevator was shot off. Then the rudder and it kept on flying for a few tanks of fuel.

I know a field where I would like you to go one day, Old Fart. I bet W8YE would drive down to watch if you were shooting. That's all I'm saying about those guys in an open forum, but I bet Jim knows what I mean. (disclaimer- I'm only joking about shooting at models)
Old 04-23-2014, 04:26 AM
slamn sammy

rclifer, Thanks buddy! I chack it out! Flying season is here and going to need all my SOLDIERS ! Duh! Think I spilled that right? May have been left? LOL.... Anywway! I'll look. Stay out of the trees! LOL..... Later
Old 04-26-2014, 01:32 AM
Rudolph Hart

Yeh it's a bit sad that as a club we don't seem to be able to combine aeroplanes and heli's,the idea sounds achievable..

Paintballing is heaps of fun no matter what you are shooting eh? did'nt wear any bodyarmour or headgear the first time,man i had lumps on my lumps.Watched a youtube vid of a massive shoot in nevada?? where everything goes and they were shooting at planes,no loss they were all twostrokes.

I'm gonna do an fnq...'where the hell is everyone?' hobbsy you must have run your 100gk? by now did you do any nitro and prop figures with it?

Just bought a dual charger because the 182 saito needs more glo sticks to start it and one of my flying mates has a 325 radial.Anybody got the low down on multi chargers so you can hook up the most things possible in one hit for overnight charging?

Blw was it you with the antique plastic radio
Old 04-26-2014, 03:15 AM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Pete, I've had the 1.00 in the PSP with the Zoar 14x7 mounted for about 2 weeks. Being the family and neighborhood handyman keeps me busy at times. Lawns to mow, gardens to till etc. You rarely see a Saito in a Heli, but if there are such a thing it would be welcome here. I've never seen one.

Don't tell anybody I said this, (and Harley's to ride), I'm 72 today and 72 is a very busy age.

Last edited by Hobbsy; 04-26-2014 at 03:17 AM.
Old 04-26-2014, 04:39 AM
Cougar429

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hobbsy. if you were closer I could use you and your tractor in my yard. The plan is to do most of the final grading tomorrow. That will be nice, as I have been looking at the mess since early December. First time it's dry enough.

Need that done so I have a place to start and test my Saitos. The 125 in the Waco has not been started and set yet. Been so long I forget how many turns out on the HS needle!

I'd love to see a Saito powered heli.Great idea as torque is "King" in that app. Likely to be scale with rather gentle flying as the throttle response would lag a bit. Also likely it would be gas/ignition.

In that regard I have a question. In the gas versions, anyone have a comparison of the engine temps compared to nitro/glow, nitro/ignition?
Old 04-26-2014, 04:49 AM
Jim Branaum

Originally Posted by Old Fart
Yeh it's a bit sad that as a club we don't seem to be able to combine aeroplanes and heli's,the idea sounds achievable..
We addressed that problem with our Flying Rules. Helicopters are welcome to hover on the far side of the runway or fly in the regular pattern but not be run in the pits. It seems to work as we have 4 or 5 heli guys now.
Old 04-26-2014, 05:30 AM
Hobbsy

Hey Couger, Saito recommends 5 turns out to start, I've never seen one where 3 turns wasn't plenty safe. I have yet to be around a gas Saito. I am a dyed in the wool glow and Diesel guy.
Old 04-26-2014, 08:30 AM
blw

Paintballing is heaps of fun no matter what you are shooting eh? did'nt wear any bodyarmour or headgear the first time,man i had lumps on my lumps.Watched a youtube vid of a massive shoot in nevada?? where everything goes and they were shooting at planes,no loss they were all twostrokes.

I think all fields should have a hover area off to the side. We have a problem with either guys subconsciously walking out on the middle the of the runway because they are hovering something, or one guy who is losing his hearing and is subconsciously trying to get closer to the his engines so he can hear them. Either way, you fly your tank of fuel and end up with no place to land. The hovering guys are too close to hovering loud engines to hear you, and the near deaf guy is, well, nearly deaf.

Yeah, it was no loss on shooting up that plane. It was a trainer with some little 2 stroke.

You can pretty much make that all radios nowadays, but yes on the antique plastic radios. I found a new place in town this week and picked up 3 high value am tube radios this week for $22 each. These are some of the best I've found. The wife is sick of my 70-80 am and am/fm tube radios but she loved these 3. She found the previous 2 and I did a complete exterior restore on them and they are in living room now for show. She's coming around. It's the bigger, 80 lb military surplus tube beasts that she hasn't bonded with yet. I recently used the hand truck to wheel 3 of those up from the basement to the office. That surprised her a little. She did help shoot lines up in the trees with a slingshot for pulling up wire antennas. She later thought they were unsightly (as if you can actually see them!) until I reminded her that she grew up around her fathers CB antenna towers. That softened her heart somewhat and she is now cheerfully suggesting ways to improve the wire we put up.

Going flying in few hours. Life is good.
Old 04-26-2014, 10:38 AM
taildragger1589

Does anyone know what # is next in the member list?

Now that I have an FG11 I have a Saito!
(Former OS FS junkie).
(Also CH ignition junkie).

Also, does anyone know what the normal temp range for my little FG11?
I know that petrol runs hot, but how hot?

Nick
Old 04-26-2014, 02:36 PM
the pope

I'm gonna do an fnq...'where the hell is everyone?' hobbsy you must have run your 100gk? by now did you do any nitro and prop figures with it?

Just bought a dual charger because the 182 saito needs more glo sticks to start it and one of my flying mates has a 325 radial.Anybody got the low down on multi chargers so you can hook up the most things possible in one hit for overnight charging?

Hi there OF . I just got hitecs h4 charger , charges 4 batteries at once and looks 1st class , all aluminium wasnt game to get a H.K. one . $230 . does 120w x4 or you can bridge 2 of the ports and get 1x240 watt http://www.supercheaphobbies.com.au/...er-p-2278.html
Old 04-26-2014, 10:16 PM
Rudolph Hart

Congratulations on the 72nd birthday dave,i'll have 72 beers for you mate (all at once) then test ride the harley for you as well,what are mates for?

Thanks for all the suggestions to my queries.That sounds like a good way to string an aerial blw,could you do that using a birdfright cartridge out of a twelve gauge,sound way better.

Just finished refitting the keleo exhaust ring back onto my saito 200r3,much easier the second time around.

ps when just a kid the neighbour showed me a small army portable field phone set.Swore that if i put my fingers across those two little brass terminals i'd hear bells ringing when he cranked the handle,he was right you know but dead now so i guess that evens up the score a bit...
Old 04-27-2014, 07:03 AM
Jim Branaum

I have an old Golden Knight 80 that turns 9800 on a 13x6 but sounds like the front bearing may be about to fail.

Who sells the best bearing product and should I get a gasket set and where do they come from? I am assuming the HH is not the place, but if it is that is where I will go. Figure to replace both since it is open and I am too lazy to do the job twice.
Old 04-27-2014, 02:08 PM
Hobbsy

Boca Bearings

http://www.bocabearings.com/search.a...-80&Feature=80

I just installed a set in my 1.00 $11.88 and free shipping. I think you'l like em.
Old 04-27-2014, 03:13 PM
Jim Branaum

Originally Posted by Hobbsy
Boca Bearings

http://www.bocabearings.com/search.a...-80&Feature=80

I just installed a set in my 1.00 $11.88 and free shipping. I think you'l like em.
So you don't think the ceramic bearings are worth the extra cost? That is a serious question because putting ANY bearings in this engine will extend its life very significantly.

What about gasket kits?
Old 04-27-2014, 03:19 PM
Hobbsy

Jim, I installed a set of Ceramic Bearing in a Fox .50 Diesel conversion, they're in there out of site and out of mind, I think the standards I showed would be just as good. I think I'd get the gasket set just to do a more thorough job, but that's just me. I got the gasket for the 1.00 from a poster here and then sent a set back to him. as soon as I got them from another source
Old 04-27-2014, 06:35 PM
Jim Branaum

What was your other source? I don't think opening an engine up and NOT replacing the gaskets is success oriented.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.