Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Welcome to Club SAITO !

Old 02-08-2019, 06:34 AM
  #38826  
My Feedback: (102)
 
Hobbsy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Colonial Beach, VA
Posts: 20,370
Likes: 0
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
Default


Well, what's a feller to do, with the purchase of the Saito 182-t the Saito 120 SDP has become an orphan.

Last edited by Hobbsy; 02-08-2019 at 06:41 AM. Reason: Add picture
Old 02-08-2019, 07:01 AM
  #38827  
 
Jesse Open's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: 30 Miles North of Canada Border
Posts: 3,855
Received 95 Likes on 87 Posts
Default



Dave,

Got a 182TD among the other twins but no desire yet to dump any of those big block single cylinder beauties .
That 120DP and the old fathead 120 are two of my favorite big block Saitos. Got three 120DP now, but I could be tempted to buy yours.
Maybe sell it back when seller remorse sets in!
Old 02-08-2019, 07:11 AM
  #38828  
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Capron, IL
Posts: 10,002
Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts
Default

Twin engine porn!
Old 02-08-2019, 07:42 AM
  #38829  
My Feedback: (102)
 
Hobbsy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Colonial Beach, VA
Posts: 20,370
Likes: 0
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Jesse Open


Dave,

Got a 182TD among the other twins but no desire yet to dump any of those big block single cylinder beauties .
That 120DP and the old fathead 120 are two of my favorite big block Saitos. Got three 120DP now, but I could be tempted to buy yours.
Maybe sell it back when seller remorse sets in!
Would a trade for a 100-T seem fair, Thanks
Old 02-08-2019, 10:00 AM
  #38830  
 
Jesse Open's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: 30 Miles North of Canada Border
Posts: 3,855
Received 95 Likes on 87 Posts
Default

Keeping the multis, next one I see,I'll set you on to it.
Old 02-08-2019, 03:23 PM
  #38831  
My Feedback: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: VT
Posts: 5,433
Likes: 0
Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts
Default

Digital Caliper:

guys, I'm looking to buy a new set of Digital Calipers, please tell me what Digital Calipers you have and price, and how you feel about their quality. I figure I don't use them much, and if I am with-in .001 I'm good to go, yet I don't want $20 stuff. so I figure I don't need to spend more than $50, $60 at the most, OK maybe $70 if I have to, I have only found 4 or 5 pair in the $40 to $60 price range yet they have brand names I have never heard of..

it's very frustrating because the net is loaded with Digital Calipers priced between $19 and $40 with names I have never heard of, I know many are most likely copies of each other or are the same product with different names and different prices, it's driving me nuts, I don't want to buy an unknown name and find out a year down the road it's hardcore junk.

anyhoo, please tell me what you see/ what you got/ what you think,, thanks!!

Jim
Old 02-08-2019, 04:36 PM
  #38832  
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 3,648
Received 65 Likes on 65 Posts
Default

Gary, very nice collection. What vintage is the twin in the foreground of your pic?

Last edited by Glowgeek; 02-08-2019 at 04:41 PM.
Old 02-08-2019, 04:39 PM
  #38833  
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 3,648
Received 65 Likes on 65 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Hobbsy
Saitos, the engines that even look good dressed in lavender!
Old 02-08-2019, 06:09 PM
  #38834  
My Feedback: (102)
 
Hobbsy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Colonial Beach, VA
Posts: 20,370
Likes: 0
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
Default


I don't have any digital ones only this slider: and the one in the link: https://www.micromark.com/Vernier-Mi...-Inch-Capacity

Micro Mark has several digital ones also: https://www.micromark.com/mini-hand-...suring-marking

Last edited by Hobbsy; 02-08-2019 at 06:11 PM. Reason: Add content
Old 02-08-2019, 09:55 PM
  #38835  
My Feedback: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: VT
Posts: 5,433
Likes: 0
Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Hobbsy
I don't have any digital ones only this slider: and the one in the link: https://www.micromark.com/Vernier-Mi...-Inch-Capacity
Micro Mark has several digital ones also: https://www.micromark.com/mini-hand-...suring-marking
Dave, those Vernier Caliper don't brake as easily as the Dial Calipers do when you drop them

Jim
be a Saito hound !
Old 02-08-2019, 11:14 PM
  #38836  
 
Rudolph Hart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Perth, AUSTRALIA
Posts: 4,383
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Hobbsy
The thing I love about the CG Tiger's is that they practically fly themselves. If the original owner had trouble taxiing he didn't have the carb set correctly, me thinks. Blood spatter from a crime scene, cool looking and certainly different. I am going to change the servos in the CG 120 it has all digital servos in it, they are battery eaters and they buzz all the time.
Yes they do i mainly use mg 545 servo's on the size models i fly.

Gary have you had a think about fitting that fa182 to your h9 taylorcraft?
Old 02-09-2019, 03:54 AM
  #38837  
My Feedback: (102)
 
Hobbsy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Colonial Beach, VA
Posts: 20,370
Likes: 0
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
Default


Pete, I love those 545's, they are smooth and nearly silent.

Jim, here is my Micro-Mark, (many years old now) vernier caliper measuring one of the after market Saito gaskets.
Old 02-09-2019, 06:12 AM
  #38838  
 
Jesse Open's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: 30 Miles North of Canada Border
Posts: 3,855
Received 95 Likes on 87 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by the Wasp
Digital Caliper:

guys, I'm looking to buy a new set of Digital Calipers, please tell me what Digital Calipers you have and price, and how you feel about their quality. I figure I don't use them much, and if I am with-in .001 I'm good to go, yet I don't want $20 stuff. so I figure I don't need to spend more than $50, $60 at the most, OK maybe $70 if I have to, I have only found 4 or 5 pair in the $40 to $60 price range yet they have brand names I have never heard of..

it's very frustrating because the net is loaded with Digital Calipers priced between $19 and $40 with names I have never heard of, I know many are most likely copies of each other or are the same product with different names and different prices, it's driving me nuts, I don't want to buy an unknown name and find out a year down the road it's hardcore junk.

anyhoo, please tell me what you see/ what you got/ what you think,, thanks!!

Jim
Digital calipers are very handy. The go between inch and metric measure with a push of a button. You can set them at a desired dimension and zero them, take a measure on a part and instantly see how much you need to remove etc. Good for many quick measurements.
Mitutoyo brand digital calipers are very popular for good reason. Not cheap, but you do know that you are getting fine quality.At one time, you could by useful hobby grade for $20 but the latest crop of 20 buck digitals from China are loaded with very crude calipers that often will not repeat within .005"!
There are also online fake "Mitutoyo" for what may seem like decent prices. They are not good quality.

If you like , I will go up to the corner Harbor Freight store, see what they have and check out the quality. I can get a pic for you. If they look ok, I will send you a set. They can always be returned .

Last edited by Jesse Open; 02-09-2019 at 07:21 AM. Reason: Punctuation
Old 02-09-2019, 08:15 AM
  #38839  
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 3,648
Received 65 Likes on 65 Posts
Default

My Mitutoyo 8" Digitals are getting pretty worn after 20 yrs. I have to keep the scale spotlessly clean or they error out. That and I spilled a chemical on the display so it's hard to read.

I checked out the harbor freight digitals a few years ago and they were ALL junk. Wobbly jaws, gritty feeling slides, thumb wheel inoperative or wouldn't repeat within .002". It's time to go back and see what they have as they do switch between china vendors periodically. Maybe they'll have some better ones.
Old 02-09-2019, 11:03 AM
  #38840  
 
Jesse Open's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: 30 Miles North of Canada Border
Posts: 3,855
Received 95 Likes on 87 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Glowgeek
My Mitutoyo 8" Digitals are getting pretty worn after 20 yrs. I have to keep the scale spotlessly clean or they error out. That and I spilled a chemical on the display so it's hard to read.

I checked out the harbor freight digitals a few years ago and they were ALL junk. Wobbly jaws, gritty feeling slides, thumb wheel inoperative or wouldn't repeat within .002". It's time to go back and see what they have as they do switch between china vendors periodically. Maybe they'll have some better ones.

Yep We stopped off at the corner on the way home from the Prop Shop just now. The Harbor Freight calipers are as you described. Much like any of the lower cost Chinese stuff of today At one time the $20 sets were pretty good , not so now.

I will check at Wholesale Tool next week, they have a large choice from cheapo to prime and everything between. We were right past them this morning but they were closed.

BTW Sorry, I forgot to reply but that TS90 Saito is a 1999 vintage iirc.
Old 02-09-2019, 12:56 PM
  #38841  
My Feedback: (102)
 
Hobbsy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Colonial Beach, VA
Posts: 20,370
Likes: 0
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
Default

I just received the Saito 182-T, fine engine no dings, pliers marks or scratches. Throttle barrels are castor stuck, Corrosion X already freed them. I'll run it when it's warmer than 37.
Old 02-09-2019, 01:46 PM
  #38842  
My Feedback: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: VT
Posts: 5,433
Likes: 0
Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts
Default

no-p, no $20 Calipers for me, I learned on Magnum engines not to buy cheap.. I have a Wholesale Tool catalog just 1ft from my elbow, but they don't have many caliper, I mean I thought they would have had more, and their site doesn't show more.. here is what I found on line,, for $40, less than $80.


https://www.grainger.com/product/JOHNSON-Digital-Caliper-0-6-0-150mm-21XK35?cm_sp=Product_Details-_-Products_Based_on_Your_Search-_-IDPPLARECS&cm_vc=IDPPLARECS

https://www.grainger.com/product/36HZ56?gclid=CjwKCAiA7vTiBRAqEiwA4NTO62NhaVwZq8ZUX UHyVfeVCL7Sm2QNMeyY4cybRr9sLfksbzHVX8EssBoCy-gQAvD_BwE&cm_mmc=PPC:+Google+PLA&ef_id=CjwKCAiA7vT iBRAqEiwA4NTO62NhaVwZq8ZUXUHyVfeVCL7Sm2QNMeyY4cybR r9sLfksbzHVX8EssBoCy-gQAvD_BwE:G:s&s_kwcid=AL!2966!3!56542783677!!!s!10 2360815157!

here is a higher priced set of SPI
https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/38355962

I have to say I have never heard of these brands

Jim

Last edited by the Wasp; 02-09-2019 at 01:57 PM.
Old 02-09-2019, 02:26 PM
  #38843  
 
Jesse Open's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: 30 Miles North of Canada Border
Posts: 3,855
Received 95 Likes on 87 Posts
Default

The days of the usable $20 calipers are about gone. The $20 calipers are now the $60 jobs.
There are two males that I buy today based on brand names. I buy Mitutoyo and Brown an Sharpe.
The stuff you see out there now is made by contract and you will often see the same stuff under several different names.
Mitutoyo may seem a bit pricey but it is money spent well imho.
There is a new breed of calipers out there that not only allow metric and inch readings but also provide fractions down to the 1/128th!

Wholesale Tool of course has a lot more in their store than what they list in the catalog. I always enjoy checking out the walk in store. Brings back memories of when I was starting out.

Dave,
On the few castor, or rust from synthetic stuck carb barrels I have seen, Plain old, cheap kerosene works as well as the high dollar exotica
Old 02-09-2019, 02:29 PM
  #38844  
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 3,648
Received 65 Likes on 65 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Jesse Open

BTW Sorry, I forgot to reply but that TS90 Saito is a 1999 vintage iirc.
Nice! I thought about getting a 90-100T for my Phoenix 46-55 size Sbach 342 but went with a new 82 single instead. A twin would look awesome in that plane but I just don't know squat about them. Cowl is cut so too late now
Old 02-09-2019, 07:49 PM
  #38845  
My Feedback: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: VT
Posts: 5,433
Likes: 0
Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Jesse Open
The days of the usable $20 calipers are about gone. The $20 calipers are now the $60 jobs.
There are two males that I buy today based on brand names. I buy Mitutoyo and Brown an Sharpe.
The stuff you see out there now is made by contract and you will often see the same stuff under several different names.
Mitutoyo may seem a bit pricey but it is money spent well imho.
There is a new breed of calipers out there that not only allow metric and inch readings but also provide fractions down to the 1/128th!
Wholesale Tool of course has a lot more in their store than what they list in the catalog. I always enjoy checking out the walk in store. Brings back memories of when I was starting out.
Dave,
On the few castor, or rust from synthetic stuck carb barrels I have seen, Plain old, cheap kerosene works as well as the high dollar exotica
even some of Brown an Sharpe's $50 sets are made in China
https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/76338482

Jim
Old 02-10-2019, 05:25 AM
  #38846  
My Feedback: (102)
 
Hobbsy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Colonial Beach, VA
Posts: 20,370
Likes: 0
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Glowgeek
Nice! I thought about getting a 90-100T for my Phoenix 46-55 size Sbach 342 but went with a new 82 single instead. A twin would look awesome in that plane but I just don't know squat about them. Cowl is cut so too late now
They don't require twice as much knowledge as a single, maybe 5% more.
Old 02-10-2019, 05:44 AM
  #38847  
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 3,648
Received 65 Likes on 65 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Hobbsy
They don't require twice as much knowledge as a single, maybe 5% more.
Thanks Dave. Yeah it's probably not that much more complicated to install a twin. I would have bought a used twin but which one? Single carb, dual carb? Which ones require glow heaters? Where would the throttle lever be located? Which 90-100 twins are fussier to run? How would I deal with the Cowl cutouts and exhaust? So you see, there are lots of things I just have no experience with concerning a twin purchase and install. The singles are simple so I went with the used 82 which I'm still having issues with. So I bought the new 82 and all is well.
Old 02-10-2019, 08:27 AM
  #38848  
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Capron, IL
Posts: 10,002
Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts
Default

Some of the best, Electronic Calipers

This one is very similar to the one I got 15 years ago. https://www.greatgages.com/collectio...tutoyo-caliper
Paid $60 for it way back.
Old 02-10-2019, 08:29 AM
  #38849  
 
Jesse Open's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: 30 Miles North of Canada Border
Posts: 3,855
Received 95 Likes on 87 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by the Wasp
even some of Brown an Sharpe's $50 sets are made in China
https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/76338482

Jim
Exactly, Same with Starret. Not everything from China is as trashy as some of $20 junk

BTW I checked the Wholesale Tool website and it had several pages of calipers, several.

The twins are no problem to run at all. Typical drawbacks are low power for a given displacement and the extra weight. They can limit the plane choices a bit.
Old 02-10-2019, 11:54 AM
  #38850  
My Feedback: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: VT
Posts: 5,433
Likes: 0
Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts
Default

acdii, thank you, LOL I think in the last 4 days I have seen just about 90% of all the calipers there are on the net LOL, I am thinking now that I may rather by a set of $100 Starrett Dial calipers than spend more on E-calipers..
if you want to see a site that has Calipers, check out this one, Penn Tool,

Industrial Machine Tools for Sale | Penn Tool Co

Gary, I checked Wholesale Tool site and it only let me bring up one set of calipers at a time, and I had to search the PT number from my catalog. I will go back to the site and try again.. too add my new catalog only has 3 pages with Digital/ Dial calipers.
I found that $100 set of Starrett in the link above. the thing about Dial's is I can simply calculate to millimeters.

Jim

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.