Search
Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Welcome to Club SAITO !

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2019, 05:07 AM
Glowgeek

Received 65 Likes on 65 Posts

Crunchy, Nice Bipe. What Cap21 is that? Looks like a pretty good sized one.
Old 07-06-2019, 05:31 AM
Captcrunch44

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

That’s the Byron cap 21
50cc size
Old 07-06-2019, 06:05 AM
Glowgeek

Congrats on that rare find. A bit of unprovoked friendly advice ok? Do a search on "snap tendencies and fixes" or maybe "snap21".

Last edited by Glowgeek; 07-06-2019 at 07:17 AM.
Old 07-06-2019, 07:48 AM
Captcrunch44

Yeah I have Friend’s that have them and flown them they have all that information
Old 07-06-2019, 08:09 AM
Glowgeek

Originally Posted by Captcrunch44
Yeah I have Friend’s that have them and flown them they have all that information
Must be nice, I have to go online or to flyins to talk with aerobat flyers. Our club has 4 or 5 regulars at the field, all 80+ scale guys that never fly and hate anything new. Their job is to yell out "Real airplanes don't fly like that!" as I hover or harrier around. They love my saitos though.
Old 07-06-2019, 08:44 AM
Glowgeek

Gary, finally got around to taking pics of the application for the 15° apaptor. The adaptor doesn't have to be particularly light weight or small, just strong enough to handle the vibes.

Pre-Swak pics

Old 07-06-2019, 08:55 AM
sailr
My Feedback: (25)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 1/4 scale Sopwith Pup with a Saito 1.80 on it. I'm thinking of putting a gasoline engine in it. What is a good running 1.80 with a high dollar after market muffler on it worth? The original muffler(s) would not stay tight. I lost one. After that I searched and found a CNC machined muffler that is incredible. Seems like it was about $80 as I remember.
Old 07-06-2019, 09:08 AM
Jesse Open

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Glowgeek
Gary, finally got around to taking pics of the application for the 15° apaptor. The adaptor doesn't have to be particularly light weight or small, just strong enough to handle the vibes.

Pre-Swak pics

Okay, pretty busy this week and next. Putting in a new, brick paver drive. The Norwegian Princess got most of the concrete busted up a few weeks ago. She also does most of the "hunting and gathering".
So being more the "builder, constructor and since this is our shutdown time at my full time job, I have rented a Bobcat and been doing the paver job. Doing porch and deck in the backyard too.

Just turned 69 on the 4th, and three years ago, dealing with sepsis and cancer; never thought I would be doing the good work again!

Not too worried about slack in the sleeves now

Will get to that elbow in a couple of weeks
Old 07-06-2019, 09:47 AM
Glowgeek

Holy Moly, that looks awesome! I can't even set tile floors that flat. Happy birthday and congrats on kicking cancer's !#*.

No hurry on the adaptor. Just remembered you asked for pics.
Old 07-06-2019, 09:53 AM
sailr
My Feedback: (25)

Wow. Nice work on those pavers!
Old 07-06-2019, 02:09 PM
Glowgeek

My old Hobbico tach has seen its last prop. Can't afford a Fromeco. Any recommendations on a new one? I promise to only use it to measure Saitos.
Old 07-06-2019, 02:44 PM
Jesse Open

I can send you a Futaba.
Old 07-06-2019, 03:13 PM
Glowgeek

Thanks Gary. Is this the one?

Last edited by Glowgeek; 07-06-2019 at 03:52 PM.
Old 07-06-2019, 03:34 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Well the chiller finally arrived after I chewed out Fedex. The box was beat to hell with huge holes in it. Thankfully the unit was undamaged except for a loose capacitor that was glued in. I glued it back in place. Got the duct work in, the blower mounted on the wall and every thing plugged in. Ran a test piece through and it worked. Now to run two 20 amp lines on the wall that I have been meaning to do since 2011. I also need to get another LED work light for that area. I took a piece of cardboard the size of the part I had sketched out and did some test burns to get the feel of the settings. Have it at 60% and have to work on the speed to cut through and etch. Slow it down for both, the etch for the lettering is at 30% and needs to slow down for better clarity. I have to get some long cotton swabs and cleaning fluid to clean the mirrors and check the alignment to get as much power to the lens as possible.

Now to get it fine tuned like a good running Saito.
Old 07-06-2019, 04:14 PM
Jesse Open

Wow, congrats, sounds like things are coming together very nicely. Are those front surfaced mirrors?
Old 07-06-2019, 04:15 PM
Jesse Open

Thanks Gary. Is this the one?
It is, with box
Old 07-06-2019, 05:08 PM
acdii

Originally Posted by Jesse Open
Wow, congrats, sounds like things are coming together very nicely. Are those front surfaced mirrors?
Not sure what it has for mirrors, it's a Chaser. At some point they and the lens will have to be replaced, which will be with quality optics. I figured what a US company does with these and turns around and sells them for 4 times the amount, I can do at a fraction. With a good tube and power supply, as well as good optics and alignment, these can do production work all day long. The guide-ways and servos are top quality, and the controller is a good Ruida type.

It sells as a 60 watt, but in reality is is a 50 watt when you measure the tube length. It's peak is 60 watt when overdriven, but the tube fails soon after that. I added an analog 30 Milliamp meter to measure the power output to keep it at or below 18 Ma to protect the tube. I also bought the largest water chiller made for these, has twice the cooling of the lower refrigerated chiller. Cost me less too. I can upgrade to a 130W tube if I wanted to, but think will go to 80 when it's time to replace the tube, don't have a need for anything more.

Now to learn the software for making parts.
Old 07-06-2019, 05:20 PM
Jesse Open

Sounds like you have a good handle on it
The front surface mirror cleaning can be a delicate job depending on the material. At work, they usually just replace them.

You defiantly scored a nice machine there, congrats.

Now maybe we can also have another source for Saito gaskets. The prices being charged have me considering making some clicker dies and punching them out!
Could happen
Old 07-06-2019, 05:48 PM
acdii

Thats an idea. The possibilities with this machine are endless.

I don't know what it is, but images from facebook no longer can be posted in forums.
I wound up saving it and uploading from the desktop instead.

Mirror cleaning is with Alcohol and cotton swab in a circular motion inside out. Can't use anything with water on the lens as the coating is hydrophobic and water will remove it. I also know never fire the laser unless the air pump is running or the smoke will get up in the head and deposit on the lens.

Cutting Saito gaskets would be a piece of cake with this laser.
Old 07-06-2019, 05:55 PM
Glowgeek

Will it cut thin brass shim stock?
Old 07-07-2019, 02:49 AM
Rudolph Hart

Okay, pretty busy this week and next. Putting in a new, brick paver drive. The Norwegian Princess got most of the concrete busted up a few weeks ago. She also does most of the "hunting and gathering".
So being more the "builder, constructor and since this is our shutdown time at my full time job, I have rented a Bobcat and been doing the paver job. Doing porch and deck in the backyard too.

Just turned 69 on the 4th, and three years ago, dealing with sepsis and cancer; never thought I would be doing the good work again!

Not too worried about slack in the sleeves now

Will get to that elbow in a couple of weeks
I always suspected you were an engineer that driveway is dead centre between the trees, Glad you had a good recovery.
Old 07-07-2019, 02:53 AM
Rudolph Hart

Originally Posted by Hobbsy
Jim, it will be nice to see how that regulator works on a Saito, I like the stability a regulator offers from full tank to empty. No overly rich at full tank needed.

Thanks Lonnie, I stick to the old adage, watcha git, ya git, honesty is seldom questioned. The reason I used the TH with the 12 x 7 is that most times I use a middle of the recommended prop range prop. I just wanted to see how the TH did with a higher load. It did well
Thanks Pete, in the middle of posting that I got a call from my wife's Dr.to confirm an appointment on July 9. 8:30 AM.

Today I am going to be cutting up a 45 foot oak tree into 24" pieces to split for the winter. The Hunter, Gatherer thing keeps me young and still,keeps my shirt sleeves stretched.
C'mon dave you know dang well why your shirt sleeves are still stretched, i bin warnin ya for years to stay outta maccas
Old 07-07-2019, 04:34 AM
Captcrunch44

My addiction to the high-quality engines such as Saito has to come to an end so It’s with a heavy heart that I must say good bye to this group and to Saito.

Nah. Just kidding found another engine I forgot that bought. A 72GK I see why I bought it. It looks like new. Awesome!!!!
Long live Saito!!
Old 07-07-2019, 05:24 AM
Jesse Open

acdii ,

Great looking machine and yes, by all means please consider running off some gaskets now and then. There is a need!
Ok on the mirrors I know the guys that serviced ours were very fussy about mirrors. Let me know what tubes your machine uses, there is a chance I may have one or two.

Pete,

Not quite an engineer but my father was a builder. He specialized in brick/block and concrete. From age 13 to 18 I spent my summers stretching my shirtsleeves working for him. More lifting than engineering Hauling 55 pound 12" block up and down scaffolding and pushing 400 pound wheelbarrows thru thick sand for the most part.

Last edited by Jesse Open; 07-07-2019 at 06:17 PM.
Old 07-07-2019, 07:48 AM
acdii

Will it cut thin brass shim stock?
I wish, not the correct wavelength for metal cutting. CO2 is ~10 micrometers, which bounce off metal, especially copper and aluminum. Need a Fiber laser with O2 injection to cut metal. A high powered CO2 greater than 150 watts can cut steel with O2 assist, but still has issues with reflective metals.

acdii ,

Great looking machine and yes, by all means please consider running off some gaskets now and then. There is a need!
Ok on the mirrors I know the guys that serviced ours were very fussy about mirrors. Let me know what tubes your machine uses, there is a chance I may have one or two.

Pete,

Not quite an engineer but by father was a builder. He specialized in brick/block and concrete. From age 13 to 18 I spent my summers stretching my shirtsleeves working for him. More lifting than engineering Hauling 55 pound 12" block up and down scaffolding and pushing 400 pound wheelbarrows thru thick sand for the most part.
I found that CO2 tubes have a shelf life, the gasses deteriorate over time, so storing a spare is not a good idea. If it were, I would have already ordered a named good one and power supply. The gasses used are CO2, Helium, Nitrogen, Hydrogen and/or Xenon. When a current is passed through the gasses the atoms of the gasses bounce off each other and emit infrared light. If the tube is overdriven though, the Helium can strip an O2 molecule from the CO2, and create CO, Carbon Monoxide. Over time and regular use the CO2 diminishes until it can no longer produce light. If a tube is used and then stored, it degrades due to corrosion of the electrodes. So much to learn about these things. Fascinating subject too.

I used to build houses, tis nothing like walking a 65' truss across a bouncing 12" wide scaffold on a windy day. Bring extra tidies with. I can build houses, wiring it, HVAC it, plumb it, finish it, but tried my hand at concrete work and patios, gave up. They always looked like crap, although I had checked Google maps the other day and looked at my old house. The deck and patio I built nearly 2 decades ago are still there. Must have done something right. There is a 2 car garage off to the side, but the trees we planted cover it completely, you don't even know it is there from overhead. I miss that house, wish I never moved into the house from hell. I gave up trying to fix it, not long after I finish an area, something happens and destroys the work I did. My once brand new kitchen looks like crap, the roof leaked, ran down the wall and destroyed the entire row of cabinets, got under the floor and lifted an 8' section of tiles. The ceiling in the new pantry I built fell down, the walls in my bedroom sagged at every joint. All this from a water leak due to storm damage. Then sump pumps failing caused 4" of water to flood the basement. Man I hate this house.

At least I kept my Saito engines dry and out of the water. I store them on a shelf that is above a workbench away from any walls in case water decided to flow over them.

That reminds me, I have to bring my Cub in. I rearranged my trailer Friday while waiting on Fedex, and found the Saito 100 gummed up, which is odd since I used ARO in it, but I can smell Castor, which means I didn't use Wildcat the last time I flew, but SIG fuel. OOPS! Going to have to open it up and wash the bearings good.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.