Welcome to Club SAITO !

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 10:37 AM
Jerryballs
My Feedback: (19)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Welcome to Club SAITO !

Jnorton, Dave and W8YE,
Thanks for the input. Dave, you are right...the specs for 50cc refers to gas. I want the "sound" of the 4 stroke twin but as a "rookie" wanted to be sure I had enough authority for scale performance. (not 3D...HA!)
You guys are great...from Michigan, Ohio and the UK I now have a good worldly opinion!
Jerry
Old 03-13-2007, 12:19 PM
freeonthree
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dave, I gotta ask... when you said "a twin makes slightly less urge than a single" what is this URGE you speak of ? I have never heard that term before. Are you referring to the lope as I call it, like in the lope caused by a high lift cam ?
Old 03-13-2007, 12:59 PM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

ORIGINAL: blw

Jim,

A cutaway of one of the radials would be very beneficial. Too bad they don't have one.

-----------

Every cut-a-way I have seen posted here is computer generated. Shouldn't be much of a problem for Saito to whip up a drawing of the 325, since it is already in their CNC computers anyway.

Ed Cregger
Old 03-13-2007, 02:03 PM
RVM

I think he is referring to the power it produces.

ORIGINAL: freeonthree

Dave, I gotta ask... when you said "a twin makes slightly less urge than a single" what is this URGE you speak of ? I have never heard that term before. Are you referring to the lope as I call it, like in the lope caused by a high lift cam ?
Old 03-13-2007, 03:45 PM
mardinis

I would like to join club saito. Ive enjoyed and learned from posts.I have a few saitos. I have a 100 in a p 47 goes like a houseafire.thankyou! aka stukadriver
Old 03-13-2007, 09:58 PM
silver.kiwi

I have an oldie but goodie FA 80 that gauled the threads in the exhaust port when the SlimLine Pitts muffler came loose and vibrated excessively. The threads deepest in the port are the most damaged and the remaining two thirds are enlarged and I'm afraid to put any torque on them in an attempt to use the original muffler. Does ANYONE have any good thoughts about a fix to my problem other than sending it back to Horizon for a new cylinder? Has anyone tried to use a helicoil or similar product in a this situation? Thanks.
Old 03-13-2007, 09:59 PM
krop
My Feedback: (19)

Jim,
The weather broke and I tried the Turboheader on my SAITO 82A.
The tone is awesome! I also obtained a boost of 200 RPM.
I have not introduced the additional baffle as yet but will before the week is out.
I'll let you know.
A fantastic purchase. Thanks you very much!
krop
Old 03-13-2007, 11:03 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Can't help you with that problem, but I have a problem of my own...while hand-starting my Saito 100, it backfired (that's normal) on the first flip....and I thought the prop came loose as the prop kept spinning....

I pulled off the spinner and the prop was as tight as a drum! NO COMPRESSION!!! Took off the rocker covers - they worked fine. Pulled plug and put in a new one - still no compression. Checked and saw the piston was going up and down.....me thinks I have a problem Houston.....so today I mailed it off to Horizon....anyone want to make a guess as to what was going on here?

Seal? Cam broke? Ring Stuck or broke? Valve damaged? Hummmmm.....
Old 03-13-2007, 11:23 PM
freeonthree

Why did you send it in, was it under warantee or something ? There are several possibilities including a piece of carbon stuck in one of the valves. I seriously doubt that anything broke though, it's a Saito ! I bet something was stuck in one of the valves not allowing it to close.
Old 03-14-2007, 01:33 AM
davewallace
My Feedback: (29)

Kiwi,
I just took a look at my older FA80. The housing is 15mm diameter outside with a 12x1mm thread. You could retap it to 13x1mm thread. This is the size used on the 125. Then it would accept a 125 header. Retap the muffler to match. It would require a bottom tap and some skill. Another idea is to install the header in the position that you want. Then drill and tap a hole for a 440 screw from the rear through the head and header. Plug the port with tissue before drilling of course. Clean it up and remove the tissue before reassembly. With the 440 screw in place you should be able to snug down the lock nut on the header. You may have to trim the fin at the back of the header to make room for the hole. The last idea is to install the header in the final position with JB Weld. Good luck.

Dave
Old 03-14-2007, 01:47 AM
Dave :^)

Hi Free'
yeah urge = power = oomph = get up and go!
LOL
Dave :^)
Old 03-14-2007, 02:03 AM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

Tailskid...FWIW a friend had the same thing happen after a backfire... it was a pushrod had popped out of the rocker arm adj. screw socket and jammed in there to hold the valve just slightly open.

Let us know what it was when you get the engine back, aye!?
Old 03-14-2007, 02:12 AM
freeonthree

Got it Dave... hahaha ! at first I thought he just left the s off of surge, but that didn't make any sense. Im glad we got that cleared up. lol
Old 03-14-2007, 04:36 AM
JNorton
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: Ed Cregger

Every cut-a-way I have seen posted here is computer generated. Shouldn't be much of a problem for Saito to whip up a drawing of the 325, since it is already in their CNC computers anyway.

Ed Cregger
Hiya Ed. I looked at the casting line where the engine is cut. Sure looks real to me unless they are using some really sophisticated texturing. It looks like other cutaway motors I've seen. I'd bet it's real. Now we should have a three or four page discussion where everyone puts in their two cents.
Old 03-14-2007, 05:18 AM
RC Specialties

Krop,

First, I am happy that you weather broke. Second, I am glad you like the TurboHeader. Once you try the baffle you may see a little more power increase and a richer tone. Let me know how it works out. Thanks again!

Jim
Old 03-14-2007, 10:15 AM
silver.kiwi

Thanks Dave,
I have had several suggestions along the same line and I personally am leaning toward the re-tap. As that is the most complicated but more permanent repair, I may try the simple but less effective solution with high temp teflon tape or JB Weld first.
Old 03-14-2007, 10:26 AM
silver.kiwi

I had this problem with my FA 80 years ago. It was a brand new item for Saito then and was touted as a high compression powerhouse. That it was, but the high compression was a little too much for the cam gear to take and it stripped the teeth right off.........then, just like yours, I found no compression because the exhaust valve was open and couldn't close. It was under warrantee and the fix involved a slim under the cylinder to lower the compression slightly. It has been fine since then and is still very powerful for it's size.
Old 03-14-2007, 11:09 AM
DandGMartin

silver.kiwi
Hi, I just received my saito FA 80 cyclinder back from Clarence Lee with a brass insert in it where the exhaust treads were ripped out in a crash looks good. I'm now waiting for more parts to reassemble it.
Send your cylinder stripped down to a bare cylinder (you can leave the valves in it) and $28.50 to Clarence Lee 10112 woodward Ave Sunland, Ca 91040-3342 phone 818-353-7356 or 818-352-3766.
Don
Old 03-14-2007, 11:32 AM
TimC

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

silver.kiwi, here is a photo of the Clarance Lee fix:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp43418.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	642069  
Old 03-14-2007, 03:27 PM
Flugmax

HALLO; IS THERE A REAL RADIAL-FREAK who can help me
with the valve-timing and the right position of the cam-gear marks for the SAITO 325 5-Zylinder radial engine?

i had to change the main ball bearing, ist was full rust, i used a high-power 15 % car sprit for braking in...... and after 1 month the muffler lossed rusty-fuel....
so i changed that bearing, but i cant find the paper anymore where i noticed the postion marks of the cam-gears....
i dont want to start the engine and crash it due to wrong timing;
so it would be nice to get some tips, thanks to you engine-freaks [&o]
Old 03-14-2007, 05:06 PM
scratchonly

My manual shows the 91 special to have the same footprint and specs as the 80 and the 65. I want to replace my 80 with a 91. Does anyone know if these specs are correct? Is the "special" the only 91 Saito makes? My manual is a 2005 version. Thanks for any help.
Old 03-14-2007, 08:10 PM
donkey doctor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello; About that 325 radial; time each cylinder to it's own tdc. That means that each piston is timed individually when the camshaft is installed for that cyl. Sounds like lots of work, easy enough though. With the cyl. held at tdc index the timing dot at the bottom. the cam can be held from rotating with an exacto blade held against the teeth and teh edge of the flat joint edge. lower it down on the crankcase without moving the piston off tdc, pull out the exacto and put in the screws. go on to the next one and repeat until you've done all 5. Keep the cam chests in their original hole, and checl all your valve clearances after everythings together.

You must have pushed the crank out without removing the cam. How did you lift all the barrels just the right amount to lift the big end off the crank pin?
Old 03-15-2007, 06:52 AM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

They are.
Old 03-15-2007, 07:09 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The 91 "Special is the only 91. There have been subtle changes in them over the years but no changes that would effect your mounting or using the engine in place of a smaller one.

The 82 and 100 are different stories.
Old 03-15-2007, 07:17 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Why did you send it in, was it under warantee or something ? There are several possibilities including a piece of carbon stuck in one of the valves. I seriously doubt that anything broke though, it's a Saito ! I bet something was stuck in one of the valves not allowing it to close.

--------------

I love it when people say "it's a Saito". Remember when they used to say that about OS products?

I'll go for a stuck valve too, regardless of the reason. Let me clarify, one of the valves is not sealing, which is what you said, but because of carbon or other debris. But I'm sure Mr. Festa figured that out already. <G>

Don't get me wrong, I like Saitos too. I have a bunch of them - but not nearly enough.

Me, I think sending them in is a great idea. You usually get free updates, etc., preventing future problems.

Ed Cregger

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.